• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York becomes the first state to offer tuition-free college for middle class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this affect previous graduates in any way?
How would it even work? They'd be playing whack a mole with who to please.

Pay off people currently in debt - Well what about people who lived frugally and made larger payments to pay it off early?
Okay, pay off everyone from a certain point, including those who already paid - Well what about the people who paid off their loans before this time
Okay, so everyone gets 30k dollars in the mail, how about that - And now the state is a trillion dollars in the hole

BumRush

I see it's in the budget...any idea if taxes are going to increase for residents or if something else in NYS is getting cut? My wife and I are above the income limit so this will (most likely) never help us with College for our kids. Just wondering if we should expect a tax increase to fund it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Hehe....I do wonder if anyone really thinks this.

In the last thread, there were people hating this because either they missed it, or they are stuck with debt, so I wouldn't put it past people thinking that way.

NimbusD

damn, w only a few k left in loans from school over 10 years ago, I'm mad jealous. My mom wouldn't have been in massive debt for the rest of her life for sending me and my sister to school if this were in place.

but also for that reason I'm super proud of this state for passing this. no family should have to suffer as much as mine did to send their kids to school.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
There is also a private university component to this as well. So students looking at private schools in New York can get 3 thousand and it will be matched by the school and then the school has to freeze tuition. I don't know if that is official for next year, but it does give students looking at private schools an option.

Would have been great when I did not have a full time job and responsibilities. I don't think I can pull off or git the requirements for this. Good for the people this helps, the world has changed since I left highschool. You use to not need a degree to get a job making 50/60k. Don't matter if you have 13 years experience they want a piece of $20-30k piece of paper now.

Governor Cuomo was pushing for a 15 dollar minimum wage in NYS before Bernie Sanders was even dreaming of running for president.

He's also the most establishment established shill corporate Democrat that ever existed and yet here we are in this thread about how he just passed free college tuition.

The idea that every major liberal legislation that passed post 2016 was directly thanks to Bernie Sanders is ridiculous.

Show me Andrew Cuomo or any other prominent politician talking about tuition-free college before Bernie catapulted the idea to the national stage. Go ahead...

The least you could do is give the man a bit of credit for leading the charge...

vikki

For cuny, that's about 5 classes a semester, two semesters, to make 30 credits. They break their semesters up into so that there is a half semester between fall/spring and spring/fall. Shorter courses for the fall 2 and spring 2 semester, but it makes it better for people who may find it difficult to fit all the required courses into their schedule. This is pretty awesome

Arkeband

Banned
In the last thread, there were people hating this because either they missed it, or they are stuck with debt, so I wouldn't put it past people thinking that way.

It is a pretty raw deal that it so overwhelmingly positively affects incoming students and completely doesn't address people who are stuck with crippling debt.

The fact that it doesn't look backward in any capacity is obviously going to create resentment and jealousy. We're now being taxed to alleviate people of the burden we are currently stuck with.

The stipulations to stay and work in NY might make this a very symbolic gesture, as most SUNY schools are located in total shit towns with no job opportunities. Everyone's going to be forced to move to Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, or NYC. And if they can't afford to move there or get a job, they get tens of thousands of dollars of debt.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The idea that every major liberal legislation that passed post 2016 was directly thanks to Bernie Sanders is ridiculous.

Well get ready for that narrative to plague the Democratic Party for decades. It'll most likely continue to cripple the party as long as Bernie supporters use him as some measuring stick for Democratic candidates going forward with no real nuanced reasoning besides "he does this good".

Instro

How would it even work? They'd be playing whack a mole with who to please.

Pay off people currently in debt - Well what about people who lived frugally and made larger payments to pay it off early?
Okay, pay off everyone from a certain point, including those who already paid - Well what about the people who paid off their loans before this time
Okay, so everyone gets 30k dollars in the mail, how about that - And now the state is a trillion dollars in the hole

Could make it a larger variable(and gradual) tax write off for those who have current loans, or paid off within the last 10 years or so. Right now we get the deduction for loan interest, so doing something similar for principal amount would be nice.

br3wnor

As a SUNY Graduate, this is a nice program but unless you're commuting you (or your parents) are still gonna be stuck w/ a nice bill for room and board.

Dorming + meal plan is in the 15k range a year for a SUNY school so if you do 4 years that's $60,000. Tuition is around 7k a year so you're looking at a savings of around 28k with this. Not small potatoes by any means but tuition for SUNY schools has always been fairly reasonable. If you're going to commute though this is an unbelievably great deal.

I did community college for my associates ($6k total) and then did 2 years at SUNY where I took out loans for my tuition and my parents covered the dorming. I moved off campus my last year so that helped a bit w/ the cost as well.

Lifeline

How is that remotely similar lol?

That's more like a scholorship.

- Only applies to people who want to be teachers
- Only the "top" graduates will get reimbursed

'The middle class'?

I actually never hear Americans talk about the working class, do they just not exist? Don't they need free college more desperately?

There's already programs, grants and financial aid for the working class wanting to go to a SUNY school. This bill applies to working class as well, anyone making less than $100,000 a year. But the biggest savings will be coming to the middle class, since they weren't eligible for the grants, financial aid, etc.

How is that remotely similar lol?

That's more like a scholorship.

- Only applies to people who want to be teachers
- Only the "top" graduates will get reimbursed

Cuomo proposes paying off Student Loans for two years after graduation

It's pretty clear that education and student loan reform was a big issue for Cuomo long before anyone outside of Vermont knew who Bernie was. I absolutely loathe the idea that something "clicked" in this country because some random dude ran a campaign. The movement towards progress in this country started long before Bernie Sanders made it hip.

So no free college tuition until after Bernie made it popular? got it.

wenis said:
Well get ready for that narrative to plague the Democratic Party for decades. It'll most likely continue to cripple the party as long as Bernie supporters use him as some measuring stick for Democratic candidates going forward with no real nuanced reasoning besides "he does this good".

Maybe perhaps it is because the Democratic party hasn't done jack shit to address the problem in the preceding few decades? Change like this was too tough for them I guess... (and the donations from private for-profit universities too lucrative?).

Verelios

Yo...yo...where were you five years ago bro? Insanely proud they're enacting this for anyone not so fortunate to have a lot of money.

Trey

Show me Andrew Cuomo or any other prominent politician talking about tuition-free college before Bernie catapulted the idea to the national stage. Go ahead...

The least you could do is give the man a bit of credit for leading the charge...

Obama himself toured college campuses back in 2014 trying to sell his idea of free community college and subsidized tuition.

Lifeline

Cuomo proposes paying off Student Loans for two years after graduation

It's pretty clear that education and student loan reform was a big issue for Cuomo long before anyone outside of Vermont knew who Bernie was. I absolutely loathe the idea that something "clicked" in this country because some random dude ran a campaign. The movement towards progress in this country started long before Bernie Sanders made it hip.

Almost every state already has a student loan forgiveness program. In fact only, Tenessee/Utah/West Virgina don't. Again, not the same thing.

Bernie and Cumo announced this program together. Keep pretending he had nothing to do with it.

This is what Cumo said:

"[Bernie] spoke to this issue of college affordability and was ahead of his time in doing it, and really awoke the nation to this crisis"

Even Cumo admits it.

It doesn't matter who allegedly popularized the idea. Politicians in various states and/or on various presidential campaigns past have run on all sorts of variations of cost-lowering/cost-removing programs for higher education and trade schools in this country. Bernie Sanders was the most recent and the most currently vocal about it, which is great. Shoutouts to him. Doesn't matter, though.

In addition, free college isn't even a new idea in the US, or even in NYS proper - CUNY was free until the 70s or 80s, so it's not even like nobody's ever done this before. Ascribing a big victory like this to any politician for progressiveness points on the scoreboard for argument's sake is dumb and misses the real point - people can actually afford to go to legit college again in NYS. That's a big deal.

Pau

As a SUNY Graduate, this is a nice program but unless you're commuting you (or your parents) are still gonna be stuck w/ a nice bill for room and board.

Dorming + meal plan is in the 15k range a year for a SUNY school so if you do 4 years that's $60,000. Tuition is around 7k a year so you're looking at a savings of around 28k with this. Not small potatoes by any means but tuition for SUNY schools has always been fairly reasonable. If you're going to commute though this is an unbelievably great deal.

I did community college for my associates ($6k total) and then did 2 years at SUNY where I took out loans for my tuition and my parents covered the dorming. I moved off campus my last year so that helped a bit w/ the cost as well.
Yeah this seems most beneficial to CUNY students who basically don't dorm.

In addition, free college isn't even a new idea in the US, or even in NYS proper - CUNY was free until the 70s or 80s, so it's not even like nobody's ever done this before. Ascribing a big victory like this to any politician for progressiveness points on the scoreboard for argument's sake is dumb and misses the real point - people can actually afford to go to legit college again in NYS. That's a big deal.

... because politicians see support for progressive ideas, thanks to the leadership of progressives. Why fight so hard to recognize this? What do you lose by ascribing this development to the rise in progressive sentiment on the left?

rotpb517

Fuck yeah. I'm so proud of my state today. It's too late for me, but now my sister won't have to pay as much to get her education.

The real treat for me is Uber. Thank christ this finally became a thing. Living in upstate NY without Uber after living in Boston with Uber was getting annoying.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Thank you Bernie Sanders for planting the seed for progress in our country.

If we had left it to the docile corrupt corporatist Democrats, we would be talking about slow incremental hopefully-maybe-one-day cheaper college because-too-much-bold-change-is-not-possible all the way until 2024.

Maybe this is a joke post that went over my head but Andrew Cuomo is one of those Democrats you're disparaging.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Can anyone explain what their plan is to have high graduate retention?

Arkeband

Banned
I participated in that thread. Know exactly what you mean.

It's a legitimate gripe, it basically says "You graduated last semester? Sorry bro. You graduate next semester? Congratulations!"

It creates haves and have-nots. There is no such thing as a perfect bill, but this would have made actual sense to try to look backwards in some capacity. I graduated six and a half years ago and if it wouldn't have affected me that's fine, but this doesn't even make an attempt.

heyf00L

Is it really the first? Because in Louisiana the state paid my full tuition (it's called TOPS if you want to Google it). You had to be full time and maintain a 2.5 GPA every year to get it.

RPGCrazied

Its like liberal states becoming more liberal with Trump as President. I need to move to California or something. Texas is too red for my tastes.

TyrantII

Wat

Its like liberal states becoming more liberal with Trump as President. I need to move to California or something. Texas is too red for my tastes.

Sadly that's the worst thing you could do, due to polarization and gerrymandering. What needs to happen is liberal and progressives pointing to those successful states and pushing liberal politics in purple places in Red States.

Otherwise there will only be a few Blue States and Liberal islands of blue in cities, and the GOP will quickly abandon it's states/cities rights mantra to impose their ideology.

We're already seeing that nonsense in some southern red states/blue cities where state legislatures are trying to take away power from cities that want nothing to do with their state legislature bullshit.

Maybe this is a joke post that went over my head but Andrew Cuomo is one of those Democrats you're disparaging.

I'm disparaging mostly the Third Way Corporatist Democrats under the Clintons. The crew that only fights for socializing corporate profits, and screw mostly everyone else.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
What are the eligibility requirements going to be? Like you skate through high school and automatic free college tuition or will some degree of excellence be needed?

Pau

Is it really the first? Because in Louisiana the state paid my full tuition (it's called TOPS if you want to Google it). You had to be full time and maintain a 2.5 GPA every year to get it.
TOPS is tied to high school achievement it sounds like. There are similar programs already in New York and Florida. (And I'm sure many other states. Those are just the two I'm familiar with.) This is not tied to high school achievement.

What are the eligibility requirements going to be? Like you skate through high school and automatic free college tuition or will some degree of excellence be needed?
It doesn't seem like there will be.

TyrantII

I'm disparaging mostly the Third Way Corporatist Democrats under the Clintons. The crew that only fights for socializing corporate profits, and screw mostly everyone else.

They've been dead since mid 2000s, and the Clinton's dropped support for them long ago as well. Have you been living under a rock?

The party has pulled the Clinton's far left for 15 years, and that only would have continued if she were President.

That's how politics works. You build coalitions and lobby to get the politicians on board. You don't elect a king or queen that you think agrees with you all of the time. You elect a leader you can work with and push to get your policy through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom