• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington, California, New York band together to form climate alliance

Ms.Galaxy

Why does this guy wear the R? Everything I hear from him seems sensible, logical, compassionate... he baffles me. I'm afraid to do a little homework and find out just why he wears the R.

He's what's left of the critically endangered moderate republicans. From what I can gather, it's his stance on drugs (he's hard on drugs) and the economy that makes him a Republican. Basically a social moderate neo-liberal, and OnTheIssues rates him as a moderate conservative.

It almost feels like we're in a legit war against our own president. These days are wild, man. Let's go BLUE!

The president just gave a big middle finger to his citizens and every human on Earth. On this issue, we have to rebel against him, for our future as Americans and for our fellow humans around the world. This is literal life and death, we needed to act on climate change decades ago and we're not going to delay any further on it because of a man-child. We must act now.

Fritz

So important and personally so relieving.

Question: can federal states have their own bilateral relations, diplomatic missions, etc.?

HooYaH

I would like it if Washington allowed solo drivers in electric cars to use the HOV lanes, similar to what is allowed in California. Someone should make that happen soonish.

Please no. I've seen more Teslas than Camry/Accords on the 405 and 5 since I've moved here from Cali and with the 3 series coming soon, the carpool will be a clusterfuck.

Apt101

I'm glad McAuliffe is here for Virginia. State legislators (GOP) do their best make it difficult to even discuss climate change, but they'll never win the mindshare or be able to stop businesses from investing in the future. And we need green energy badly, the temperature keeps going up and much of our prime real estate and historical districts is underwater.

Violet_0

Banned
are any of these mayors Republicans?

looks like everyone wants to join the cool kid's club. Division after division both on the national and international level, and it's been less than half a year. What a presidency

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Nice to hear that, but the mayors don't really have a lot of power in this situation. Any state government can just come in and say "nah" to what they're trying to do at any point. There is no power split like there is between the states and the federal government.

Nice to hear that, but the mayors don't really have a lot of power in this situation. Any state government can just come in and say "nah" to what they're trying to do at any point. There is no power split like there is between the states and the federal government.

I mean doesn't the city have power to negotiate with businesses/industry? They might want businesses operating in their jurisdiction to be carbon neutral or use green methods

Damaniel

Banned
I mean doesn't the city have power to negotiate with businesses/industry? They might want businesses operating in their jurisdiction to be carbon neutral or use green methods

Until the legislatures in the red states those cities are in make such activity illegal. Try, at least - they have no real power there, but it won't stop them from trying.

Gallbaro

Banned
Orlando is in it, thank goodness.

There's also a similar alliance for Mississippi River cities.

The only power cities have to combat climate change is to up-zone everything and provide reliable/usable public transit in those up-zoned areas.

I doubt that will happen and these are anything but empty promises.

RMI

Banned
glad I live in one of the good states. Now if only we could get rid of our goddamned POS district rep.

The alliance doesn't include Oregon though. Your state is failing you :p

Governors who have proclaimed their continued support for the accord include:
-- Charlie Baker, Massachusetts
-- Jerry Brown, California
-- Kate Brown, Oregon
-- Andrew Cuomo, New York
-- John Hickenlooper, Colorado
-- David Y. Ige, Hawaii
-- Jay Inslee, Washington
-- Dannel P. Malloy, Connecticut
-- Terry McAuliffe, Virginia
-- Gina M. Raimondo, Rhode Island
"California will resist this misguided and insane course of action," Brown said in a prepared statement.

:D

Tovarisc

Significant: Governor Charlie Baker (a Republican) announces that Massachusetts is joining NY, CA, and NY in the US Climate Alliance.
DBWIuviXoAAJgmo.jpg

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/870752656570142720

Top Bottom