• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gov Charlie Baker (R) MA joins the US Climate Alliance

TyrantII

foR8OQK.jpg

Massachusetts will join the new US Climate Alliance, announced yesterday by the governors of New York, California and Washington state to uphold and go beyond the Paris Agreement on climate change.

http://www.universalhub.com/2017/screw-washington-state-join-alliance-paris

jph139

Only thing even remotely surprising about this is the big R next to his name.

I sort of suspect he'll be the only one on the team. Baker might be one of the only sane Republicans in the country right now.

Mimosa97

This is what like about america. Yesterday i was pissed at your country for betraying the rest of the world and the future generations but today i remembered that people in the US know how to organise and get shit done even in the face of adversity. This gives me hope. If the major states in the union start fighting back then America might retain some leadership in the world.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Most likely the northern states will join while the southern states won't. Green energy is the new commie plot.

but i thought god would take care of it

Good. If this continues, it'll be a national middle finger to Trump. 70% of the country wants it anyway, reps should be tripping over themselves to endorse it.

Whats the deal with MA and Republican governors? For such a blue state, they really seem to like to put Republicans in that role.
As someone who grew up there, I've always wondered the same thing. To be fair, an MA Republican is generally very different from say a Kansas Republican.

jph139

Whats the deal with MA and Republican governors? For such a blue state, they really seem to like to put Republicans in that role.

The logic I've heard is that a Republican governor is a good moderating influence. Ideally, progressives and conservatives should be like the gas and the brake.

I wouldn't call most Republicans "real" conservatives, which is the problem.

Prompto

Banned
Coming from someone on the West coast, how does mass keep electing Republican Govs?
Republicans who run in Mass are usually moderate compared to other republicans or at least pretend to be. And midterm elections are bad usually for democratic turnout.

RI just joined as well.
Up here Republicans are fairly liberal. A lot of them run as Republicans because Democratic primaries are so much tougher to get through since they're more crowded.

TyrantII

It's so blue, the state Democratic party thinks they can get away with everything short of murder and puts up candidates every decade or so that have no business being nominated. After Kennedy and Patrick was one of those times.

Look up the 2010 Senate race and 2012 Governor's race. Martha Coakley lost both spectacularly because it was "her time".

Kusagari

Vermont joined as well, so two Republican governors have joined. They're also, of course, governors of two of the bluest states in the country.

Damaniel

Banned
As someone who grew up there, I've always wondered the same thing. To be fair, an MA Republican is generally very different from say a Kansas Republican.

The logic I've heard is that a Republican governor is a good moderating influence. Ideally, progressives and conservatives should be like the gas and the brake.

I wouldn't call most Republicans "real" conservatives, which is the problem.

RI just joined as well.

Up here Republicans are fairly liberal. A lot of them run as Republicans because Democratic primaries are so much tougher to get through since they're more crowded.

It's so blue, the state Democratic party thinks they can get away with everything short of murder and puts up candidates every decade or so that have no business being nominated. After Kennedy and Patrick was one of those times.

Look up the 2008 Senate race and 2012 Governor's race. Martha Coakley lost both spectacularly because it was "her time".

Thanks for the answers. Considering I never hear Baker's name come up when people are taking about Republican governors doing stupid shit, I guess that make sense.

Also, with the rate that states and cities are joining in, I expect the Southern state holdouts to be the only ones not signed on in the coming days (as usual).

Maybe in the end this will end up working out better than the paris thing would have anyway. It's not like trump can outlaw environmental regulations...

or can he

Blader

Thanks for the answers. Considering I never hear Baker's name come up when people are taking about Republican governors doing stupid shit, I guess that make sense.

Also, with the rate that states and cities are joining in, I expect the Southern state holdouts to be the only ones not signed on in the coming days (as usual).
He's not all great. He supports privatizing public transit and was an advocate for the charter school ballot measure last year. But he's also a supporter of renewables and planned parenthood, so yeah, could be plenty worse.

He's also one of the most popular governors in the country, which is why he often doesn't pop up in "shitty republican does shitty thing" headlines.

Yeah, New England Republicans (ignore Maine, we all do) tend to be the only sane ones of the lot. Gov Baker is good people.
So you can understand why at times I've voted republican in the past. Never again! Right? I can't ever see a bipartisan country again. We are so far apart now.

TyrantII

Under Romney, we got heath care reform(which was very similar to Obamacare) and gay marriage before any other state.

He also almost bankrupted the state university system just to shore up his GOP bonefides before his presidential run.

Romney was a mixed bag due to his future aspirations and it was apparent during his time here he was only using the state as a stepping stone.

To Baker's credit, this is his home and he cares deeply about it.

Top Bottom