• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada to introduce legislation to decriminalize recreational cannabis in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a software dev. How can I make a quick buck on this new industry?

Like another user said - an app that explains different strains/types of MJ and possibly a Yelp-style app for finding local dispensaries with good reviews would probably make a pretty penny.

Brinbe

Perfection

And that tax revenue is gonna go to a lot of good places. Country is on an upswing and I couldn't be prouder.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Like another user said - an app that explains different strains/types of MJ and possibly a Yelp-style app for finding local dispensaries with good reviews would probably make a pretty penny.

Call it StrainExplain.

You go Canada. Doing the right thing.

Hopefully it´s gonna spread faster around the world in the coming years. It´s inevitable so just do it already all other countries.

Can't wait to be taxed out the ass here in Alberta with the AGLC inevitably taking the reigns. I'll take that $80 1/8th oz. along with my $27 12-pack of brews, thanks. FFS...

If people could still get it cheaper on the street if would defeat one of the biggest reasons to legalize. I don't think anyone would be that stupid.

Dynomutt

Maybe make an app to locate distribution centers or areas of interest related to marijuana.

You could implement a periodic table of sorts that aggregates information about strains and stuff...

Will this allow to grow yourself?

If so, get a small tent, with 4 plants or so,boom, your gram is gonna cost you like 1-2$ instead of 10+$.

I'd say the zeitgeist has moved along to the point that decriminalization looks backwards.

Just legalize it, and let's stop living this absolute farce that it is anyway harmful to individuals or society.

Eh, no, it still needs restriction like alcohol does. i.e. must be done on your property, illegal to be on the influence while driving (probably exists but those laws will likely need to be updated), don't sell to minors, etc.

On top of that though, we can't just say it's unharmful to everyone. Like with alcohol, someone with certain mental conditions should not be taking marijuana because it may just worsen their state. However, there's no way to monitor someone like that to not take neither alcohol nor marijuana, so perhaps the point is moot.

And I think there should be research on what happens when one takes it daily over a long period of time. Smoking daily or alcohol daily can lead to some eventual health detriments, depending on the individual. Once legalized, that will have to be looked at as well since it's now available to purchase.

mdubs

Banned
If people could still get it cheaper on the street if would defeat one of the biggest reasons to legalize. I don't think anyone would be that stupid.

That's where the enforcement is going to come in, Fine and jail the traffickers, create a government monopoly to tax it.

The Canadian Way!(TM)

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I walked into a dispensary in Vancouver yesterday, was able to consult with the friendly staff about what strain was best for my needs, was able to pay via credit card.

All very civilized and overdue for the rest of the country

It'll probably be shut down come April 29th unfortunately

Develop a 'kit' of POS and backend systems, designed around the sale and display of marijuana. Iterate and market heavily. A lot of clueless stoners are gonna be starting businesses, and if you can sell them an all-in-one system, you stand to make a killing whether their businesses sink or swim. I don't think you'd need any custom hardware - Most stores here in WA use tablets and Square readers, or something like them. You'd just need to have them as set up and ready to go as possible.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Doesn't change the content of the thread, but regulate should be in the title as well, there's a big big difference between simply not making it a criminal offence and regulating its retail sale, which is the plan.

CBC and the Washington Post report legalization, not just decriminalization.

As does the first sentence of this article. The title isn't really complete. Hopefully a mod can fix it.

Wish the UK had a PM like Trudeau. Instead we have David Cameron, and Theresa May. Now our government is wanting to stop govt. scientists from disagreeing with them and pass the Psychoactive Substances Bill.

Parch

How often is a Canadian charged for casual use nowadays? As long as they're not driving, the law doesn't really care much anymore. The war on pot was over a long time ago in Canada. This legislation is really just about finally getting the paperwork done and establishing distribution and tax regulations. And yes, it's long overdue.

Nibiru

Banned
Great news because I would like to have a toke sometimes and being able to get from a shop would be great. That said I expect the many dispensaries we have here in Toronto will be shut down and the country will either have the LCBO distribute it or some new store they run. Either way the dispensaries will more than likely get the axe.

I won't hold my breath on all the income going to good things because gov't has no problem collecting money but often screws the pooch when figuring out how to spend it properly. Ultimately this is good though because incarceration or fines for smoking weed is ridiculous in this day and age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom