• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

UberTag

We should track how long on average your typical $70 game parks it at that price before getting price-dropped.

Glad I got in on Infamous, Watchdogs and The Division for $40 each when I did.
It's bullshit that they raised the price already when last time our dollar was 60 some odd cents when they tried this shit.
So long as none of us give in and buy a game at $70 we can at least lead by example.

I will not budge, no $70 games for me unless I'm trading in and get the full value covered by the trade. Never coming out of pocket for that much, it's just not responsible and makes zero sense. You could build a gaming PC and buy your discounted games on Steam and be saving ridiculous money in the process.

With that being said, for patrons of EB Games, here are the current trade-in promos. I'll be using these to grab Titanfall and Dark Souls 2 next Tuesday.

http://www.ebgames.ca/gs/specialty/tradeins/

I needed a new computer anyways. Instead of paying $400 for a PS4 wit hacked up resolutions and choppy framerates, why not spend $400 on a GTX770 instead.

That's why I said "if you're comfortable with console gaming" :)
If you're looking for optimum performance it's a different story and probably it doesn't have much to do with the price hike! Glad you're happy with the purchase though :p

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Oh, I pulled the shoppers chocolate scam in fall 2012 and got a Wii U christmas 2012 for what amounted to about $170 including $100+ worth of chocolate or $70 if you didn't count the chocolate which I didn't because I ate the chocolate. Now THAT was a deal.
Best deal. I ended up getting a Nexus 7 out of it, but I had plenty of points left over, and recently picked up Tropical Freeze & 3D World for 9$ after redemptions.

It's the best title thread ever and it's a reminder that Canada sucksss.

guys help me strengthen the dollar. We gotta do somethin'. I'll sell off my body.

lol we can use some humor in these hard times :D

Yesterday i got Tomb Raider PS4 for $34.90 taxes in at Target using the raincheck I got last month during their promo also using their Red Card saved me an extra 5%, can't beat that :D

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Going to be a long wait until Future Shop E3 deals come through. I ain't buying shit until then.

Luckily got miiself
:)
some Donkey Kong to finish, Final Fantasy X and Mario Kart 8 coming up to play until then.

On a side note, I'm glad Blu-Ray Dvd's haven't gone up, I'm a sucker for anime and Disney releases.

i-Jest

Here comes the people who wasted the most time on the old thread :D

KJkCy6Z.jpg

nhlR49V.jpg

Don't call be out dude XD

Going to be a long wait until Future Shop E3 deals come through. I ain't buying shit until then.

Luckily got miiself
some Donkey Kong to finish, Final Fantasy X and Mario Kart 8 coming up to play until then.

On a side note, I'm glad Blu-Ray Dvd's haven't gone up, I'm a sucker for anime and Disney releases.

They are crazy priced already without a hike, is there any place to buy Disney stuff for better prices than $30+ for new releases?

-Deimos

Yep!! :)

Also: The Division, Witcher 3, MGSV, Watch Dogs, Mad Max, The Order 1886 and many many more!

I ordered Witcher 3, Division, Watch dogs and BF4. Didn't bother with MGS because the whole PP/GZ thing wasn't clear at the time. Don't remember seeing Battlefront. How much was the GZ order?

Luckily got miiself

It's not like Disney movies can get any more expensive. I swear 30 to 40 is the norm for them.

I ordered Witcher 3, Division, Watch dogs and BF4. Didn't bother with MGS because the whole PP/GZ thing wasn't clear at the time. Don't remember seeing Battlefront. How much was the GZ order?

MGS GZ wasn't available for preorder back at E3, only MGSV which is supposed to be Phantom Pain!

Pachinko

These are hard times for us canadian gamers :( I was curious so I checked exchangerate.com and our dollar was holding steady at 97-98 cents up until very recently and then boom , 7 cent drop.

This happened shortly after the PS3 launch too and went up and down for a year or 2. I suspect in the summer the price of crude oil will go up and bring out dollar with it but ultimately prices in store won't go back to what we now call normal until next fall.

Be glad our dollar isn't still worth 65 cents like it was during the 90's. That was brutal spending 79.99 on a videogame. The PS2 launched here for 449.99 instead of the 299.99 it cost to the US. Just thinking back to the PS3 launch, man, imagine if we had that shitty dollar then, the US complaining about 599.99 US dollars , well it would have been 899.99 Canadian.

Takao

Banned
It's definitely dead.

They haven't updated the deals since April at most?

Challenges stopped in September too.

I just logged in for the first time in about a year. The Perks section has a bunch of broken images, but it looks like the Challenges were updated recently, as there's a Twitch Plays Pokemon one.

Alright, I was on the fence about buying Titanfall. Shop.ca has FINALLY listed it, and I had a $10 off coupon (For purchases over $50), and some credits that I had received from their previous screw up. Stack the 3% cash back from eBates, it's too good of a deal to pass on.

Titanfall for under $20 sounds good to me...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I just checked my spreadsheet and I still have 9 more games left from the FS E3 deal but it'll be a long time before KH3 and ME2 are released and I doubt I'll be keeping The Division.

inFamous Second Son (PlayStation 4)
Watch Dogs (PlayStation 4)
The Order 1886 (PlayStation 4)
Kingdom Hearts 3 (PlayStation 4)
Mirror's Edge 2 (PlayStation 4)
Tom Clancys The Division (PlayStation 4)
Yoshi's Land (Nintendo Wii U)
Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Wii U)
Yoshi's Island (Nintendo 3DS)

Orca

It's definitely dead.

They haven't updated the deals since April at most?

Challenges stopped in September too.

I just logged in for the first time in about a year. The Perks section has a bunch of broken images, but it looks like the Challenges were updated recently, as there's a Twitch Plays Pokemon one.

The Challenges were really what I was there for. The perks weren't great - outside of a couple ones early on - but it was nice to have something to go for each week.

Anyone have experience pre ordering games from Shop.ca? They don't have release date shipping do they?

I have, they usually just drop ship the packages directly from the distributors. You SHOULD get it the same day or the following day depending on how far you live from their hub.

When I had pre ordered Killzone Shadow Fall and COD Ghosts last year, Killzone came with the quickness. COD, not so much. It ended up shipping AFTER the One's release date. They had to get it rushed shipped for Saturday delivery (And gave me a credit on my account for my troubles).

I ended up pre ordering Titanfall so lets see what happens this time around.

Sweet Ivy

I'm not sure I'm buying into the currency value thing... I mean, why does it never work the other way round?

Also, it's not like the Canadian economy/prices are directly linked to the US$ otherwise there should be better deals in here too. Most things are easily 30% to 50% cheaper in the US.
This is more a matter of buying power than currency I'd say, otherwise everything should be much cheaper in Europe, whereas you have $=€

I went to grab Thief at EB games when it released (had it pre-ordered) and they explained the raise in prices. I came home and checked that every other store had it for the "regular" price (Futurshop, Target, Best Buy, Walmart), so I just returned it and bought it at Futurshop the next week.
I checked a few other games (while I was checking the prices for Thief) and the price increase seems to only affect EB Games, so how comes?

I'm usually for day-1 purchases and all that stuff, but 70$ starts to be too high a price even though we're a couple and we may consider the price shared (but for multiplayer it doubles!).

explodet

I don't think there's been a good deal on anything anywhere in Canada in like a year or more.
That BB/FS trade 1/get AC4|BF4|COD:Ghosts was pretty awesome. Good riddance, Brink!

We probably won't get anything like that again for a while, those guys must have taken a bath on that promotion.

Ondore

Ah, that new thread smell... too bad the deals smell like crap.

I'm hoping for E3 to bring a decent deal, and someone to put PSN or eShop cards on sale at some point...

Top Bottom