• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Zing

Banned
I don't think there's been a good deal on anything anywhere in Canada in like a year or more.

I guess you were on vacation all during last november and december.

I am frustrated that this price hike comes at a time I am considering the PS4.

I just checked my spreadsheet and I still have 9 more games left from the FS E3 deal but it'll be a long time before KH3 and ME2 are released and I doubt I'll be keeping The Division.

inFamous Second Son (PlayStation 4)
Watch Dogs (PlayStation 4)
The Order 1886 (PlayStation 4)
Kingdom Hearts 3 (PlayStation 4)
Mirror's Edge 2 (PlayStation 4)
Tom Clancys The Division (PlayStation 4)
Yoshi's Land (Nintendo Wii U)
Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Wii U)
Yoshi's Island (Nintendo 3DS)

I only have four left. Wish I had done more.

Final Fantasy XV (PS4)
MGSV (PS4)
Watch Dogs (PS4)
Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

I have laid out a spreadsheet to track what I'm spending on games. I usually find a deal on pretty much everything I get. I will be spending the full $69.99 on only one or two games that are must haves at launch.

Jinto

Love the thread title. I wasn't around for the E3 deal last year. I'm definitely not gonna miss out this time around.

I guess since it's a new thread, I won't complain about Canada Post and how my item was processed at the local delivery facility in the wrong city. That was last week. Now it's been processed again. I mean, I could complain, but that was so last thread.

Love the thread title. I wasn't around for the E3 deal last year. I'm definitely not gonna miss out this time around.

I guess since it's a new thread, I won't complain about Canada Post and how my item was processed at the local delivery facility in the wrong city. That was last week. Now it's been processed again. I mean, I could complain, but that was so last thread.

Well everybody gets to whine every now and then so it's ok, go ahead :D

Lexxism

I only have four left. Wish I had done more.

Final Fantasy XV (PS4)
MGSV (PS4)
Watch Dogs (PS4)
Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

I have the same amount of games left.

FFXV (PS4), KH3 (PS4), MK8 (WiiU) and Smash Bro (3DS). Hopefully games like X and SMTxFE stays at 59.99 come E3 time and FS still have their E3 deals.

I just logged in for the first time in about a year. The Perks section has a bunch of broken images, but it looks like the Challenges were updated recently, as there's a Twitch Plays Pokemon one.

Oh wow, really?

Last time I checked (around a month ago), the challenges still hadn't been updated.

Firestorm

I just checked my spreadsheet and I still have 9 more games left from the FS E3 deal but it'll be a long time before KH3 and ME2 are released and I doubt I'll be keeping The Division.

Mine:

Order date: 13 Jun 2013, 00:10:55
  • Super Smash Bros (Nintendo Wii U) 31 Dec, 2014
  • Metal Gear Solid V (PlayStation 4) 31 Dec, 2014
  • Destiny (PlayStation 4) 09 Sep, 2014
  • Kingdom Hearts 3 (PlayStation 4) 31 Dec, 2014
  • Final Fantasy XV (PlayStation 4) 31 Dec, 2014
  • Mirror's Edge 2 (PlayStation 4) 31 Dec, 2014

Order date: 16 Jun 2012, 01:31:15
  • Super Smash Bros (Nintendo 3DS) 31 Dec, 2014

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Not me, oh wait I'm going to want Mario Kart when it releases :(

I hear 'dat. I've cancelled preorders for Infamous and other games, but I won't be able to resist Mario Kart 8 so I'll make an exception for that game

I have 14 games that are yet to come from FS over the next year or so on Xbox One and PS4 alone. I just checked and for some reason I don't have a pre-order for MGSV and Kingdom Hearts 3.

What the hell?

*SMH*

lupinko

Oh right just like the end of the last thread, for any CanadaGAF in need of Japanese iTunes or PSN, I can help out and will not charge any exorbitant middleman fees. Basically you can either pay pal me straight up the exact yen amount if you will cover the paypal fee on your end, or add 500Y for me to incur the fee instead.

Another option is a trade, I hook you up with Japanese itunes/Psn and in return I'd want equivalent Canadian itunes/eshop/Psn, preferably itunes and eshop more at the moment.

Hey guys. Sorry for being the slow one to this, but can somebody tell me when some PS4 games started costing $70 on BB and FS? That's nuts..

krae_man

Oh right just like the end of the last thread, for any CanadaGAF in need of Japanese iTunes or PSN, I can help out and will not charge any exorbitant middleman fees. Basically you can either pay pal me straight up the exact yen amount if you will cover the paypal fee on your end, or add 500Y for me to incur the fee instead.

Another option is a trade, I hook you up with Japanese itunes/Psn and in return I'd want equivalent Canadian itunes/eshop/Psn, preferably itunes and eshop more at the moment.

Does this offer extend to physical purchases in Japan?

kennah

Woooo new thread. As always I'm available for pc help.

Sad I didn't pick up a 3DS last year. Gonna be even less likely now this year if the games are going to be so expensive.

Not that I've bought anything even on steam for months.

joecanada

Why need new thread every once in while? Just curious great new title though :(
Wtf when our dollar is on par we still gets raped too

Joeku

I work at target and can confirm the price hike there too. 64.99 for the latest cadtlevania, 44.99 for layton

Same here, brother. What store? Also goes for South Park and Donkey Kong. I should check the system and see what Infamous is at.

So I have a Futureshop E3 preorder of Dark Souls II on 360 in at $40. My Gold just expired but I also have a PS3. Anyone ever have success with them letting you flip versions while still getting the sale price?

Roto13

GAF, say someone from the States were to bring me an Xbone as a gift. What would be the deal with getting that across the border as far as fees go? Either mailing it or just bringing it himself? I've never had to deal with that before.

Gxgear

GAF, say someone from the States were to bring me an Xbone as a gift. What would be the deal with getting that across the border as far as fees go? Either mailing it or just bringing it himself? I've never had to deal with that before.

No tax if he brings it. Not sure if mailed, but I've been hit with a $50 duty before for a used 360.

Hey guys. Sorry for being the slow one to this, but can somebody tell me when some PS4 games started costing $70 on BB and FS? That's nuts..

Just from the last couple of weeks. All the games that were released before two weeks ago are/were still $60 while every game released from now on will pretty much be $70, at least for the PS4 and Xbox One.

Unfortunately, this doesn't look like it will go back to $60 anytime soon with the CAD$ expecting to drop even further.

Haines

Banned
For the 1 or 2 games I buy full price the price hike is whatever. As long as we keep seeing sweet price drops and deals I'm gravy

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Woooo new thread. As always I'm available for pc help.

Sad I didn't pick up a 3DS last year. Gonna be even less likely now this year if the games are going to be so expensive.

Not that I've bought anything even on steam for months.

3DS has more than plenty games already released which should be the old price (or cheaper)

Leeness

People that order from Best Buy online, is there a way to track your order if they (whoever it is that scans the tracking code) screws up your tracking?

Constantly I get botched tracking codes from BB. :/

But I have something that was meant to be delivered on February 27th still not here and I can't track anything... I guess I'll wait a couple more days and then call :(

Just from the last couple of weeks. All the games that were released before two weeks ago are/were still $60 while every game released from now on will pretty much be $70, at least for the PS4 and Xbox One.

Unfortunately, this doesn't look like it will go back to $60 anytime soon with the CAD$ expecting to drop even further.

Holy crap, they're milking our Timmies & toque budgets =(
eww.. Tim Horton's...

I also noticed in this thread that the 3ds games are getting a $5 hike. I was particularly curious about the PS4 hike since I'm hoping to pick the console up when Gaikai launches, but this extra $10 applied to future releases is pretty disheartening to hear.

I ordered Witcher 3, Division, Watch dogs and BF4. Didn't bother with MGS because the whole PP/GZ thing wasn't clear at the time. Don't remember seeing Battlefront. How much was the GZ order?

Not Ground Zeroes. I believe Its The Phantom Pain cause it has December 2014 release date so definitely a placeholder. Specifically says Metal Gear Solid V, which is why it is soooo hard for me to get Ground Zeroes because I have a feeling it'll be free with the game.

Roto13

No tax if he brings it. Not sure if mailed, but I've been hit with a $50 duty before for a used 360.

Yeah, I figured it'd probably be easier for him to just bring it but he won't be in town until June. I wouldn't necessarily mind paying a duty charge if I knew how much it would be. :p

vulva

I kind of want Infamous just to get something for my ps4 but I'm not 70 dollars interested. I'm barely 40 dollars interested haha.

Anth0ny

My Future Shop E3 pre-orders list:

Final Fantasy XV (PS4)
Metal Gear Solid V (PS4)
Destiny (PS4)
Watchdogs (PS4)
The Evil Within (PS4)

Yarn Yoshi (Wii U)
X (Wii U)
Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)
SMTxFE (Wii U)
Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Yoshi's New Island (3DS)
Super Smash Bros (3DS)

I'm basically set for the gen. Have yet to pay more than $40 for a PS4 game, and won't be doing so anytime soon :)

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
My Future Shop E3 pre-orders list:

Final Fantasy XV (PS4)
Metal Gear Solid V (PS4)
Destiny (PS4)
Watchdogs (PS4)
The Evil Within (PS4)

Yarn Yoshi (Wii U)
X (Wii U)
Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)
SMTxFE (Wii U)
Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Yoshi's New Island (3DS)
Super Smash Bros (3DS)

I'm basically set for the gen. Have yet to pay more than $40 for a PS4 game, and won't be doing so anytime soon :)

Won't Mario Kart be released before then?

krae_man

I'm pretty sure that is wrong. I've been asked at the border something along the lines of "are you/did you bring anything you're not/didn't bringing back" before.

I think normal tax rules apply even if the gift is brought across the border.

Edit: Yep, appears so:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifvc-rpvc-eng.html#a3

Travelling with gifts

While you are outside Canada, you can send gifts free of duty and taxes to friends in Canada under certain conditions. To qualify, each gift must not be worth more than CAN$60 and cannot be a tobacco product, an alcoholic beverage or advertising matter. If the gift is worth more than CAN$60, the recipient will have to pay regular duty and taxes on the excess amount. It is always a good idea to include a greeting card to avoid any misunderstanding.

If you are travelling with gifts, do not wrap them prior to crossing the border. If you do, we remind you that a border services officer may need to unwrap the gift to conduct an examination of the goods you are bringing into Canada.

I think it's just applicable sales tax. No idea if there is that $7 handling fee on top like mail or not. My guess is no.

Gxgear

I'm pretty sure that is wrong. I've been asked at the border something along the lines of "are you/did you bring anything you're not/didn't bringing back" before.

I think normal tax rules apply even if the gift is brought across the border.

Edit: Yep, appears so:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifvc-rpvc-eng.html#a3

I think it's just applicable sales tax. No idea if there is that $7 handling fee on top like mail or not. My guess is no.

I cross the border once a month or two to shop and fill up on gas, the border guards can't be bothered. They ask you how much you spent, and if it's a few hundred dollars you just go right on through. Could differ elsewhere I suppose, but here in the west coast about half the cars you see on the way to Seatle drive with BC license plates.

Handling fee is what shipping companies charge you for dealing with dutiable items for you.

Top Bottom