• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Sweet Ivy

This is what concerns me. I'm not interested in paying 150% of $500. That is not a good deal. :p
I think the rules on tobacco and alcoholics are different.
A few months back a US friend sent me a Titan VGA and I was asked to pay around 200CAD$ in import duties, which is more or less regular tax%. That's likely what you'd incur into as well, if your friend makes it clear he is importing the console.

Dazzler

This is what concerns me. I'm not interested in paying 150% of $500. That is not a good deal. :p

The problem is. I don't think they base their taxes on how much these things cost in the States, more what they cost in Canada. So obviously a 12 pack in Canada is WAY more than 8 bucks

Roto13

I think the rules on tobacco and alcoholics are different.
A few months back a US friend sent me a Titan VGA and I was asked to pay around 200CAD$ in import duties, which is more or less regular tax%. That's likely what you'd incur into as well, if your friend makes it clear he is importing the console.

Ugh. He should just take the whole thing out of the box and not declare it.

Magnus

LMFAO the thread title

I am not optimistic about the E3 deal remaining fully intact this year.

I'd anticipate that the best-case scenario is that the % discount stays in place, but that it's just at third off of $70 instead of $60.

i-Jest

Did none of you people pre-order Dark Souls 2?

I only have 2 E3 orders left and after Dark Souls next week it'll just be Watch Dogs. Didn't order anything for consoles which narrowed my options somewhat.

During the FS After Hours Sale I preordered the game. Not much coming for the ps3 that I want after that. Next in line Bayo 2, X, Persona 5 and Guilty Gear Xrd. Anything before, in between, or after are just extras and impulse buys.

Gxgear

A Canadian border shopping is not the same thing as an American bringing a gift when he visits Canada. "The border agents don't care" is irrelevant. His friend might get one who does. What he needs to know is "what fees are supposed to be applicable" so there's no surprises if he's unlucky and doesn't sneak through without paying anything.

I can only speak from experience, stating dutiable goods is subject to duty is kind of redundant don't you think? It's not sneaking through when the border guards doesn't stop everyone to charge them duties for the sake of keeping the traffic flowing. If you want an example of bringing goods from US to Canada as an American, I rode with one who bought Johnnie Walker double black's from non duty-free stores for a friend and didn't get dinged after declaring them. You're dealing with people so of course it'll be YMMV.

Lexxism

Anyone in Nova Scotia here? Walmart is selling the DS4 for $30

qiTa9HF.jpg

Ondore

In addition to the Pokemon deal at Staples:

- Mario and Sonic WiiU is $20
- Wii Party U (w/Wiimote+) is $30

I was tempted to get it but how is the game on PC ?

It's alright. The main issues with it are a) no adjustable FOV, and it's quite narrow in Singularity (it's the first FPS game I've played where I actually felt a little queasy), and b) really bad texture streaming thanks to the Unreal Engine. Apparently there's an FOV fix now and the texture pop-in doesn't actually hurt gameplay in any way. It was worth the $10 I got it for a few years back and it's absolutely worth fifty cents now.

PC version's pretty good as I recall.

I would so buy this if the shipping didn't cost ten times what the game did.

It's alright. The main issues with it are a) no adjustable FOV, and it's quite narrow in Singularity (it's the first FPS game I've played where I actually felt a little queasy), and b) really bad texture streaming thanks to the Unreal Engine. Apparently there's an FOV fix now and the texture pop-in doesn't actually hurt gameplay in any way. It was worth the $10 I got it for a few years back and it's absolutely worth fifty cents now.

The cost of shipping is kind of a turn off but ill think about it and maybe I'll bite.

edit: Is the retail version DRM free ?

zroid

Banned
Pretty great deal on the Wii U Skylanders bundle at Toys R Us. It's one of their late night sales, so it's only available tomorrow after 9pm.

$199.99 gets you a white Wii U, Nintendo Land, and a Skylanders Swap Force starter kit.

i-Jest

Ok guys, I just completed the Playstation Home Quest For Greatness episodes 1 and 2.

I got the following from 1:

Twisted metal (PS1 Classic)
Warhawk (PS1 Classic)
Destruction Derby (PS1 Classic)

Got the following from 2:

Warframe 50 Platinum
Warframe 20,000 credits + 3 day Affinity Boost
500 Zcoin (premium currency) for Black Light
Resident Evil Directors Cut (PS1 Classic)

Got me some free games and some free add-ons. Never had to pay a cent. Long live freemium promos!

never heard of Singularity (I don't get out much) but for 0.49 and even with the 4.99 shipping I'm willing to try based on the Gamerankings.com average ratings...

Sora_N

I found a copy of Singularity for PC only. I haven't gotte a retail PC game since the original SC2. Was an interesting experience lol.

They didnt have Samurai Warriors for Wii tho. $5.99 is a great price for it. I might just order it online.

Has anyone who got the South Park Grand Wizard Edition from future shop with that $44.99 deal received theres? Mine still says in progress. Super annoyed.

I may or may not have a $40 PS3 version. Originally had the PC version ordered, but they dropped that one. Tried to get it swapped with the PS3 version afterwards but they told me to place a new order and they would apply the discount after. My order page still lists it at $67 though so we'll see what happens when they charge me.

Oddly enough they never properly cancelled my Dark Souls 2 PC order because when I placed the order it was mislabelled as Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition. Wonder what will happen with that.

H8GYZoy.jpg

Same here, except mine actually says Dark Souls II: Prepare to Die Edition

epRxcay.png

MesH

Has anyone who got the South Park Grand Wizard Edition from future shop with that $44.99 deal received theres? Mine still says in progress. Super annoyed.

Called on Tuesday to cancel cause it still showed In Progress cause I just said screw it and picked up the regular edition at walmart. Told me it was being prepared to be shipped so I can't cancel it, so I asked if I could return it to the store for refund and he said yes and I should get a shipping notification buy Tomorrow (Wednesday). It is friday still no shipping notification and still shows in progress on there web site. Get with it FS.

flkraven

YMMV

I just got Singularity (360) from EB Games for $0.49 (Brand New). Apparently there are other dirt-cheap titles, so I am trying to find a list.

big_z

any good deals on 1 or 3 month xbox live gold cards? my sub expires a few days after dark souls 2 but I don't want to pay for a full year because I don't know if im keeping the xbone.

Sweet Ivy

Ugh. He should just take the whole thing out of the box and not declare it.

Btw I didn't mean you'd end up paying the same amount, the VGA value was around 1000US$, so it would be half that for an XOne, however, there's really nothing strange with a guy bringing his console to a friend's house (unboxed, of course), just saying...

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Any good deals on a PS3?

I wanna replace my stupid broken PS3. South Park is calling out to me :(

The cost of shipping is kind of a turn off but ill think about it and maybe I'll bite.

edit: Is the retail version DRM free ?

I believe it is, but it's been a few years. I can confirm it doesn't register with Steam, and I think Activision was actually pretty good with not including third-party DRM. Definitely nothing as oppressive as Origin or UPlay (though TAGES doesn't present user-facing UI to my knowledge so that's still possible--go look it up in a DRM directory, should tell you there).

never heard of Singularity (I don't get out much) but for 0.49 and even with the 4.99 shipping I'm willing to try based on the Gamerankings.com average ratings...

I played the game when it came out and it actually is fun. Not a bad game by any means.

any good deals on 1 or 3 month xbox live gold cards? my sub expires a few days after dark souls 2 but I don't want to pay for a full year because I don't know if im keeping the xbone.

You can actually find a year of live gold for about $35-$40. May I ask why you planning to sell your Xbox One?

big_z

You can actually find a year of live gold for about $35-$40. May I ask why you planning to sell your Xbox One?

Where do you see live for $35? I don't know if I want to spend that much on something I might not use beyond dark souls 2.

I sold both my next gen consoles at launch for profit. Then I won a second xbone from Pepsi. There's not much on either console right now that makes me interested either. When the lineups are decent it's likely ps4 will be the way to go due to stronger ports. I tend to only buy one console due to most stuff being on both. The Sony fan hate force against Microsoft also really drags any fun out of owning an Xbox. Feels bad mang.

Where do you see live for $35? I don't know if I want to spend that much on something I might not use beyond dark souls 2.

I sold both my next gen consoles at launch for profit. Then I won a second xbone from Pepsi. There's not much on either console right now that makes me interested either. When the lineups are decent it's likely ps4 will be the way to go due to stronger ports. I tend to only buy one console due to most stuff being on both. The Sony fan hate force against Microsoft also really drags any fun out of owning an Xbox. Feels bad mang.

If you're offering an Xbone at a good price, I might be in the market ;)

Deadly

Anyone have an updated shipment for Titanfall? They already separated FFX remastered into a separate shipment and that release is further away while Titanfall is still stuck with the Dark Souls 2 one (which shouldn't even be there)

Returners

Anyone have an updated shipment for Titanfall? They already separated FFX remastered into a separate shipment and that release is further away while Titanfall is still stuck with the Dark Souls 2 one (which shouldn't even be there)

Aren't Dark Souls 2 and Titanfall releasing on the same day? I would assume they would ship the two games to you together.

ElNino

My Titanfall pre-order is now listed as "Scheduled for Standard Delivery" and they have apparently charged my credit card... so hopefully that means they are getting ready to ship it.

Deadly

Aren't Dark Souls 2 and Titanfall releasing on the same day? I would assume they would ship the two games to you together.
Forgot to mention it was the PC version of DS2 which I think is digital only now and due in April.
My Titanfall pre-order is now listed as "Scheduled for Standard Delivery" and they have apparently charged my credit card... so hopefully that means they are getting ready to ship it.
Uh-oh.... What platform?

Top Bottom