• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

What are the chances of getting my Switch pre-order day 1 from EB Games? I only chose standard shipping.
It's funny how the answer to this question is overwhelmingly assured for both Best Buy and EB Games with free shipping.
And yet it's overwhelmingly UNCERTAIN for Amazon for people who are PAYING for Prime and PAYING for expedited shipping.

And we're just OK with this? Really?

It's funny how the answer to this question is overwhelmingly assured for both Best Buy and EB Games with free shipping.
And yet it's overwhelmingly UNCERTAIN for Amazon for people who are PAYING for Prime and PAYING for expedited shipping.

ARE people okay with it? I assumed the people who are sticking with Amazon for Switch pre-orders are doing it only because they can't get pre-orders anywhere else.

Amazon is unreliable. This isn't news.

Your options are:
-don't buy from Amazon
-complain to Amazon CS
-write a stern letter to Jeff Bezos
-complain here

If you want to start a petition or boycott, I'm all ears.

Honestly, Next week, I'm expecting a hell of a lot more angry shipping stories from those who ordered from Amazon than from those who ordered from EB & Best Buy combined.

JRBechard

On that note If anyone's cancelling their Amazon Switch pre-order (or anywhere else) hit me up! Trying to get one since day 1 and haven't been able to.

I bought my Switch from Amazon as well as Zelda. my case and pro-controller are coming from Best Buy.
I am going to USA on vacation on the 2nd so I don't mind Amazon delivering late (pretty sure it will since that's how it happened with my PS4 bought from amazon ).
I will be enjoying my vacation but at the same time eagerly wanting to come back to a bunch of boxes with Nintendo goodies.

Harusame

I was looking into getting a good capacity Micro SD for the Nintendo Switch - So far I am leaning towards getting the 200 Gb SanDisk. The card is currently on sale at NCIX for $99.99 and at Amazon for $101.11. Should I wait a while to see if it goes any lower, or should I just go for it?

I was looking into getting a good capacity Micro SD for the Nintendo Switch - So far I am leaning towards getting the 200 Gb SanDisk. The card is currently on sale at NCIX for $99.99 and at Amazon for $101.11. Should I wait a while to see if it goes any lower, or should I just go for it?

My approach is to go with a cheaper 128GB instead, it's half the price of the 200GB one, by the the time it's full, cheaper and bigger SDMIcro cards will be available.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

Amazon is pure trash, just pure trash.

zroid

Banned
My approach is to go with a cheaper 128GB instead, it's half the price of the 200GB one, by the the time it's full, cheaper and bigger SDMIcro cards will be available.

I agree. And besides, you could just carry extra MicroSDs with you if the more capacious one remains too costly. Stick it in your wallet.

Kyolux

hey guys, what are the good options for 4k TVs with HDR right now?

My birthday is coming up, and with Horizon on pro coming up, I'd like to see the game at its best. Also would like to play Zelda on the U on a new TV, even if it's upscaled.

Also, I'll be spending a good month and a half on my ass post-surgery in a few months. So having something pretty to look at would be swell.

Is the LG 60UH6150 a good option? Price is ok (but kind of near the highest I'm willing to go).

-
edit: I remember seeing a thread on here about HDR not working with PS4 pro on the 2016 LG models? Is this fixed?
-

The KS8000 is definitely beyond my price range.

Any good options at Costco/Best Buy?

Edit 2:

How's this? 49" is ok with me. It's smaller than my current 55", but I can live with that at this price.

antibolo

Banned

Whenever I buy games on Amazon, it's for the 20% discount.

Seriously thinking about not renewing my Prime subscription though. But I order more than just video games and electronics on Amazon, so it is useful to me regardless.

(For the Switch I did pre-order from Best Buy since there's no discount on hardware. My copy of BOTW is ordered on Amazon though, hopefully they won't fuck it up.)

My birthday is coming up, and with Horizon on pro coming up, I'd like to see the game at its best. Also would like to play Zelda on the U on a new TV, even if it's upscaled.

Also, I'll be spending a good month and a half on my ass post-surgery in a few months. So having something pretty to look at would be swell.

Is the LG 60UH6150 a good option? Price is ok (but kind of near the highest I'm willing to go).

-
edit: I remember seeing a thread on here about HDR not working with PS4 pro on the 2016 LG models? Is this fixed?
-

I got the Vizio M series from Costco, it's HDR and has great black levels, it supports both HDR formats thanks to latest firmware and has low input latency in gaming mode.

Depending on your money you can go for the Vizio P series that has Wide Color Gamut for HDR that makes it an even better HDR set, for me though, the M series is an amazing set for its price.

I'll get the SONYX850D or the Vizio's M or P over that one.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare

antibolo

Banned

I'd say there's really no point in buying an SD card for the Switch now. Wait until you run out of internal storage first, as the prices will have almost certainly gone down before then.

I got the Vizio M series from Costco, it's HDR and has great black levels, it supports both HDR formats thanks to latest firmware and has low input latency in gaming mode.

Depending on your money you can go for the Vizio P series which is even better and a Wide Color Gamut for HDR that makes it an even better HDR set, for me though, the M series is an amazing set for its price.

I'll get the SONYXD or the Vizio's M or P over that one.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare

Seconded. All excellent suggestions. And for the record, I own a samsung, which was excellent because of the boxing day pricing.

Vizios are incredible value. (These have had their own crazy good sale prices the past 2 months).

jholmes

Non Switch talk here.

Just a heads up that the Ys series of games are on sale at GOG.com.

Tempted to get some or all. Is there any that I should avoid?

I started with Oath in Felghana and had a blast, really great place to jump in. A lot of people will say Origin is where to start but I didn't like it as much myself.

I started with Oath in Felghana and had a blast, really great place to jump in. A lot of people will say Origin is where to start but I didn't like it as much myself.

For 26 bucks you get the following, which is really tempting.

Ys I & II Chronicles+
YS: THE OATH IN FELGHANA
Ys Origin
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

Kyolux

All the Ys games avaialble on PC are fantastic.

As for tvs.. I think I'm gonna go with the KU7000. The rating page says it's pretty good for gaming / HDR gaming. Which is what really matters to me.

edit: in doubts again. Not sure why it puts it so high in hdr gaming when it doesn't even do the whole HDR thing.

So? Who's getting Horizon?

Brian Altano from Podcast Beyond's FB page...

So, Horizon: Zero Dawn. My God.
First off, anybody who talked shit on the PS4 Pro or called it a useless upgrade needs to pay Horizon on a Pro + 4K TV immediately. There's no going back. It's the best looking console game ever made. Yes, it even tops Uncharted 4's visuals, which I didn't think was even possible this generation. I had my moments of buyer's remorse as a I played through a bunch of old 4K upgraded PS4 games at the Pro's launch, but this is the new standard.

Also I'm 20+ hours in this weekend and plan to spend the entirety of this rainy San Francisco day playing Horizon, much to the chagrin of my loved ones. If it was gorgeous and sunny outside and Wu-Tang was performing at a Pizza Festival down the street from my apartment, I'd still stay inside to play Horizon.

I can't stop thinking about this game. I'm completely hooked on it.

I'm not as enthused by the story as many others are and the radar/mini map/mission structure can be a little cumbersome at times, but I am completely in love with nearly everything else. The world is stunning. A gorgeous blend of mechanically mangled used futurism and vast, breathtaking natural vistas that make me wonder how Red Dead 2 will compete. The enemy designs are exciting, brilliant and terrifying, like Dinobots meets Xenomorphs with vivid splashes of neon energy thrown around everywhere. Combat encounters are almost always completely fucking exhilarating and rewarding.

And did I mention just how completely fucking massive this game is? It feels like it takes hours to travel across this world with dozens and dozens of side quests and main missions to take on, hunts to conquest and secrets to untangle. This game might actually be too big. You will get more than your money's worth if you're looking to stretch your $60 as far as possible.

If you own a PS4, you need to play this game. If you're worried about finding the time to play this and Zelda in the same week, start shopping for neck braces or leg casts on Amazon and start faking an injury so you can get out of work for a week. It's that good and every PS4 owner owes it to themselves to experience this master class in game design.

Sony has another fantastic exclusive in its hands and it joins the likes of Bloodborne, The Last of Us and Uncharted as a franchise I hope we're experiencing for a very long time. And now, I must go play more <3

So? Who's getting Horizon?

Brian Altano from Podcast Beyond's FB page...

Kind of how I feel about Nioh at 60 FPS. Best game on the PS4.

Didnt preorder horizon because I didn't enjoy shadow fall (lots of hype too). Obviously I'm wrong.

But the backlog...Yakuza, RE7 (to be fair, is shorter), and at least another 40 hrs of Nioh. Then Nier and Zelda in a week. Persona 5 in a month.

It's a sony game, so awaiting the inevitable price drop in May/June. Until then, Nioh and Yakuza rule.

Glad to hear it's reviewing well.

etta

my hard graphic balls
It would be fucking nice if Sony gave out the release dates for the 2017 TV lineup right about now...
The Q7 Samsung series is expensive as fuck, $2500+, hopefully the 900E/930E are better priced.
Or maybe I should just get the KS8000 from BHPhoto.

Kyolux

It would be fucking nice if Sony gave out the release dates for the 2017 TV lineup right about now...
The Q7 Samsung series is expensive as fuck, $2500+, hopefully the 900E/930E are better priced.
Or maybe I should just get the KS8000 from BHPhoto.

There was a catch for ordering from BHPhoto right?

Are prices in USD? or it was about fees or something?

SickBoy

For items that aren't discounted but you absolutely want on Day 1, I would always prefer to buy at brick-and-mortar stores. In the end, no matter the retailer, anything you order direct to your door is at the mercy of the shipping warehouse, the carrier and who knows what else. (Note, that statement is not intended as a defense of Amazon. They are certainly sketchy when it comes to release date delivery, even for Prime members, which sucks).

Yeah, the regular price on a 128GB Sandisk Ultra card at Costco is something like $48. I'm planning on waiting until I absolutely need a card before buying, but I think anyone who thinks they need the largest possible card needs to ask themselves how much overall capacity they think they'll need. Because if you think you need 200GB, will even that be enough? (And if not, is the extra capacity worth the premium?)

AtlasJQ

Neo Member

-
-

Edit 2:

How's this? 49" is ok with me. It's smaller than my current 55", but I can live with that at this price.

That is a phenomenal price for a Tizen. I bought it myself as a second TV to compliment my KS8000 as the main. They are the single best electronics purchase I've made in the last 5 yrs. Just awesome.

Elitist1945

Any ideas why some specific videos on YouTube don't give audio for me? Videos I've previously watched successfully won't have sound anymore and I'll have to seek out another version.

Kyolux

That is a phenomenal price for a Tizen. I bought it myself as a second TV to compliment my KS8000 as the main. They are the single best electronics purchase I've made in the last 5 yrs. Just awesome.

Talking about the KU7000?

Also, used it with the PS4 pro? How's it?

No fees and customs because it's NAFTA, the only catch is if there's something wrong with it you gotta ship it back to the US or buy some third party warranty from them to have it fixed here.

oh. Yeah, not sure I want my TV to come in through the mail just yet. Anyway, for now, I rather spend a bit less and spend more in a few years.

etta

my hard graphic balls
There was a catch for ordering from BHPhoto right?

Are prices in USD? or it was about fees or something?
No fees and customs because it's NAFTA, the only catch is if there's something wrong with it you gotta ship it back to the US or buy some third party warranty from them to have it fixed here.

oh. Yeah, not sure I want my TV to come in through the mail just yet. Anyway, for now, I rather spend a bit less and spend more in a few years.
Yea I was gonna do that too, still might. Get a cheap X800D and then upgrade in 2-3 years when HDR takes a stronger foothold and the technology matures more, when TVs have the required 1000nits as a standard.
God knows I have so many expensive purchases coming up this year, between Scorpio, Switch, that OLED iPhone will surely be expensive as fuck, I wanna get a Macbook even though I don't really need it, and I still haven't gotten the Apple Watch because both Best Buy and the Apple Store have surprisingly low stock on hand. Both told me to order online, which might suggest a refresh is due.
Oh and I need to build a new PC with hopefully Cannon Lake and a GTX 2070, may God have mercy on my wallet.

jokkir

March 8-10 Amazon delivery estimate for Zelda BOTW?

What would I even do with this Switch for 5 days while waiting for the game to arrive :|

Murdamonk

ARE people okay with it? I assumed the people who are sticking with Amazon for Switch pre-orders are doing it only because they can't get pre-orders anywhere else.

I am a Prime users, and it only happens once that i had received my order after day 1 (RE7).

And always, place an order by going thru Ebates.ca to get some cashback.

I don't use BB anymore, since last year. Had preordered SFV and never received the bonus pre-order code. :(

Anyone else have their old order of "The Legend of Zelda - Wii U" on amazon saying "Delivery estimate: Friday, December 29, 2017 by 8:00pm"?

I don't care about getting it day 1(getting it on the switch) but I just don't want it to be lost in the shuffle since it might be a forgotten sku...

leeman

Anyone else have their old order of "The Legend of Zelda - Wii U" on amazon saying "Delivery estimate: Friday, December 29, 2017 by 8:00pm"?

I don't care about getting it day 1(getting it on the switch) but I just don't want it to be lost in the shuffle since it might be a forgotten sku...

Mine still says:

"Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date."

CRA5H

Looks like it will be as hard as the Nintendo licensed 3DS cases. I think I'm gonna get the Hori tough Case as an alternative to my botw SE one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom