• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancelled Dreamcast & Saturn games

Xav

The only one from that list that I was actually interested in was Propeller Arena, it looks pretty cool but it's a shame it just didn't make it in the end. Here is another Dreamcast game that didn't make which should of... Half Life for Dreamcast. I hear you can download the game, burn it to a disc & play it, I should try it out one day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N39nqnl4QkM

Xav said:
The only one from that list that I was actually interested in was Propeller Arena, it looks pretty cool but it's a shame it just didn't make it in the end. Here is another Dreamcast game that didn't make which should of... Half Life for Dreamcast. I hear you can download the game, burn it to a disc & play it, I should try it out one day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N39nqnl4QkM

You can download Propeller Arena too, and it is playable.

GunValkyrie started out as a DC game; and it was controlled with the standard DC controller in one hand and a lightgun in the other.

jarrod

Banned
Er, that CK3 "beta" is just Pepperachau's Adventure (which was basically CK1+2+the new minigame shown on a single CD).

Lots of early DC games started out as Saturn titles fwiw (Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, VF3tb, Ecco, RE2+, etc).

JadedOne

Wow Gun Valkyrie looked really great graphically for the DC. So much power that was still untapped. Oh well i guess

Jeffahn

virtuafightermaster said:
What was the Treasure racing action game that got cancelled? I forgot the name.

Gun Beat

gun-beat.jpg

Baron

Don't forget the North American release of Shenmue 2 in the 11th hour.

Holy crap, did that piss me off.

solarplexus said:
Here'e Thunder Future. A fan project from Japan for the PC.

http://liberty-hp.ddo.jp/tf/thunderfuture/index.html

It looks really great and the guy is working on it for over two years now.

Man I'd love Technosoft (or whoever has the rights now), to come back with a new next-gen Thunderforce game. Gradius V on the PS2 reallyl got me thinking, you could make some awesome and beautiful shooters these days. Man I miss Thunderforce!

Baron said:
Don't forget the North American release of Shenmue 2 in the 11th hour.

Holy crap, did that piss me off.

that was the foundation of my hatred towards MS, I did buy an Xbox to play Shenmue II, JSRF and Panzer Dragoon Orta. But my hate for MS has been reborn when they started next-gen too early and killed off the Xbox1 prematurely

Baron

gutter_trash said:
that was the foundation of my hatred towards MS, I did buy an Xbox to play Shenmue II, JSRF and Panzer Dragoon Orta. But my hate for MS has been reborn when they started next-gen too early and killed off the Xbox1 prematurely

Yeah, I was seething towards the Xbox platform at that point as well. Seriously, what kind of boneheaded move was that? It was like a kick in the nuts and a punch in the face to all the people who were hanging on to the dream.

*cue 80s training montage*

I eventually caved and bought an Xbox - which was exactly what they probably wanted me to do with the whole thing - but come on, this was Shenmue 2. How many new Xbox owners did Microsoft seriously gain with this move? It pissed off more people than it helped convince to buy an Xbox.

Dave Long

Banned
The thing about Shenmue II, is they probably would've sold more of them on Dreamcast than they did on Xbox. The Xbox version is like $5 used at EB anymore. It's completely forgotten.

That was probably Sega's dumbest move as they went third party.

Baron

Dave Long said:
The thing about Shenmue II, is they probably would've sold more of them on Dreamcast than they did on Xbox. The Xbox version is like $5 used at EB anymore. It's completely forgotten.

Totally. And the fact that it was so last minute and out of nowhere - there were even ads in gaming magazines with the November USA release date. Pah.

Me upon hearing Shenmue 2 news in 2001:
ThrowdownMFer.jpg

Vashu

Don't forget Streets of Rage IV, or the amazing footage that showed this game. I believe it finally transformed into SpikeOut, but not sure.

3rdman

Dave Long said:

It probably didn't help them that it was (and still is, I believe) the most imported game of all time. Imports alone accounted for 100,000 copies...then of course there was the "secondary market". Basically, everyone who wanted it had already played it by the time it was released.

Also, add to this list "Agartha"...only ever saw a screen shot of some old man in a log cabin. But it was a survival horror game set in a winter background. Anybody have video of it?

Vashu said:
Don't forget Streets of Rage IV, or the amazing footage that showed this game. I believe it finally transformed into SpikeOut, but not sure.

I think they're completely separate to one another. We knew about Spike Out long before the SOR4 presentation reel.

Crisis

Banned
As much as I lamented the cancellation of Sonic X-Treme back in the day, seeing this video shows me why they should have canceled it. It doesn't look fun at all to me. What I'm looking at there seems more like a concept than a game that should've been fully realized. That doesn't look a thing like a Sonic game to me. It's not fast at all. It probably would have been a massive letdown if it had been released, even if they had accomplished everything they wanted to do with it.

Gattsu25

Banned
I have a feeling that if GunValkyrie came out on the DC, it would have actually been a good game.

Sega got retarded with the analog stick clicking

Sapiens

Gattsu25 said:
I have a feeling that if GunValkyrie came out on the DC, it would have actually been a good game.

Sega got retarded with the analog stick clicking

I was fine with GV on the XBOX - one of my favourite games from last generation - if anything, Im GLAD they didnt get a chance to release it on DC with light gun support.

Cool game.

D-X

GV is a punishing game but rewarding when you complete objectives. You've got to be prepared to fail missions quite a few times though.

Aaron

distantmantra said:
Unless you know something I don't, development on Skies 2 was never actually started.
There was, however, a Skies version of Columns in the works. Ign posted two small screenshots way back when, though I didn't think of saving them. Probably wasn't that far along before the axe though.

but, I played Propeller Arena on my Dreamcast tonight, and it seemed pretty complete.

it just wasnt officially released :)

Geist Force though, SIGH!

D-X

TheIkariWarrior said:
but, I played Propeller Arena on my Dreamcast tonight, and it seemed pretty complete.

it just wasnt officially released :)

Geist Force though, SIGH!

Yep Propeller Arena and Half Life were finished but never released

Top Bottom