• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancelled Dreamcast & Saturn games

Saturn: any POSSIBLE existance of a Phantasy Star V or "Phantasy Earth" .

(Phantasy Earth was a GameFan rumor IIRC)

also, Terra Phantastica for Saturn

terra5.jpg

was at first *thought* to be Phantasy Star Earth or Phantasy Star V on Saturn.

but as far as I know, there was no offically canceled Phantasy Star Saturn game.

jarrod

Banned
Notable Saturn cancellations...

-Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (port canceled near completion)
-Bubsy 3D (port canceled)
-Criticom II (moved to N64, becomes Dark Rift)
-Cybersled (port killed)
-D&D Tower of Doom (folded into D&D Collection)
-Dragon Knight 4 (port canceled)
-Dragon Quest VII (moved to PlayStation)
-Dynamite Cop (port moved to Dreamcast)
-Ecco the Dolphin 3 (moved to Dreamcast)
-Eternal Champions 3 (never moved past planning stage)
-Exector (moved to PlayStation)
-Guilty Gear (moved to PlayStation)
-Heart of Darkness (moved to PC/PlayStation)
-Metal Gear Solid (port killed)
-Metal Slug 2: Super Vehicle 001/II (port killed)
-Psychic Force S (port canceled)
-Rayman 2 (2D version, port canceled)
-Real Sound 2 (moved to Dreamcast)
-Resident Evil 2 (port moved to Dreamcast, new promised content cut)
-Ridge Racer (port killed)
-Shenmue (moved to Dreamcast)
-Sonic the Fighters (port killed)
-Sonic RPG (moved to Dreamcast, becomes Sonic Adventure)
-Sonic Xtreme (killed due to internal politics)
-Street Fighter III: New Generation (port moved to Dreamcast, became part of SF3 W Impact)
-Super Buster Bros. Collection (port canceled)
-Tenka (port canceled)
-Tomb Raider II (expansion cart killed, SCEA exclusivity deal)
-Tomcat Alley (port canceled)
-Virtua Fighter 3 (expansion cart killed, moved to Dreamcast & outsourced to Genki)
-Virtua Striker (port canceled)

...notable Saturn canceled localizations....

-Dead or Alive (Tecmo)
-Devil Summoner (Atlus)
-Grandia (SEGA)
-Lunar: Silver Star Story (Working Designs)
-Policenauts (Konami)
-Project X2 (Capcom)
-Steamgear Mash (Atlus)
-The King of Fighters '95 (SEGA)
-Thunder Force V (Working Designs)
-Thunder Force Gold Collection (Working Designs)
-X-Men Vs. Street Fighter (Capcom)

....ah... what could've been. :(

D-X

jarrod said:

It did make it to Europe though

1069014835-00.jpg

One of these days I will play my copy of Grandia - just as soon as I can learn Japanese or hunt down a translation...which ever comes first

jarrod said:

-Dead or Alive (Tecmo)
-Devil Summoner (Atlus)
-Grandia (SEGA)
-Policenauts (Konami)
-Project X2 (Capcom)
-Steamgear Mash (Atlus)

-Dead or Alive (Tecmo)..true and sad
-Devil Summoner (Atlus)..this was cut becuase of religous stuff near the end
-Grandia (SEGA)..Now I NEVER heard this game was truly coming out..Saturnworld.com suggested that it was either Grandia or Panzer Dragoon Saga, but no real proof that Sega of america was truly going to bring this game out.
-Lunar: Silver Star Story (Working Designs)..this happenbed becuase Vic got mad. I don't see why He couldn't have brought this out. He brought out Magic Knight Rayearth, and delayed it so it could be the last American Saturn game.
-Policenauts (Konami)..didn't bring it out becuase Sony wouldn't allow a version for PS1.
-Project X2 (Capcom) What is this game?? Never heard of it.
-Steamgear Mash (Atlus) Never heard this was even considered for America.
-The King of Fighters '95 (SEGA) was this really coming out. i think if it didn't was because of the 1 meg ran cart.. I guess it was considered because europe got a version.
-Thunder Force Gold Collection (Working Designs).. Stolar wouldn't allow it becuase he said the people who wanted it had imported it.
-X-Men Vs. Street Fighter (Capcom) sad..becuase the 4 meg ram cart was expensive.

Sad so many more games could have come out in the USA. Europe got The King of Fighters '95, Deep Fear in English, Paridous, Keo Flying squadron 2, and Wipe out 2. I don't see why Sega didn't aleast bring out Deep Fear to America. It would have solf 10,000 copies like the other Saturn games that were released that last year.

jarrod said:
Notable Saturn cancellations...

-Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (port canceled near completion)
-Bubsy 3D (port canceled)
-Criticom II (moved to N64, becomes Dark Rift)
-Cybersled (port killed)
-D&D Tower of Doom (folded into D&D Collection)
-Dragon Knight 4 (port canceled)
-Dragon Quest VII (moved to PlayStation)
-Dynamite Cop (port moved to Dreamcast)
-Ecco the Dolphin 3 (moved to Dreamcast)
-Eternal Champions 3 (never moved past planning stage)
-Exector (moved to PlayStation)
-Guilty Gear (moved to PlayStation)
-Heart of Darkness (moved to PC/PlayStation)
-Metal Gear Solid (port killed)
-Metal Slug 2: Super Vehicle 001/II (port killed)
-Psychic Force S (port canceled)
-Rayman 2 (2D version, port canceled)
-Real Sound 2 (moved to Dreamcast)
-Resident Evil 2 (port moved to Dreamcast, new promised content cut)
-Ridge Racer (port killed)
-Shenmue (moved to Dreamcast)
-Sonic the Fighters (port killed)
-Sonic RPG (moved to Dreamcast, becomes Sonic Adventure)
-Sonic Xtreme (killed due to internal politics)
-Street Fighter III: New Generation (port moved to Dreamcast, became part of SF3 W Impact)
-Super Buster Bros. Collection (port canceled)
-Tenka (port canceled)
-Tomb Raider II (expansion cart killed, SCEA exclusivity deal)
-Tomcat Alley (port canceled)
-Virtua Fighter 3 (expansion cart killed, moved to Dreamcast & outsourced to Genki)
-Virtua Striker (port canceled)

-Dead or Alive (Tecmo)
-Devil Summoner (Atlus)
-Grandia (SEGA)
-Policenauts (Konami)
-Project X2 (Capcom)
-Steamgear Mash (Atlus)

Wow. Did Enix have a good relationship with Sega?

CurseoftheGods said:
Wow. Did Enix have a good relationship with Sega?

this was when Enix was trying to decide who should get dragon Quest. the Saturn or the PS1. The PS1 got the game becuase of final fantasy 7.

Dachande

sonic4ever said:
-The King of Fighters '95 (SEGA) was this really coming out. i think if it didn't was because of the 1 meg ran cart.. I guess it was considered because europe got a version.
To correct you there - KOF95 had a special ROM cart that held all of its background information (and maybe more, not entirely sure) that could only be used with KOF95 and nothing else. It didn't use the 1 Meg RAM cart though, 96 and 97 did.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Throw in Biohazard Dash for the Saturn. It was to take place after RE1, and Chris and Jill would explore the ruins of the mansion and find new rooms underneath it.

Game was canceled while it was still in concept though and it eventually was made into the Battle Mode on Saturn RE1.

Johnny

Propellar Arena is really quite fun, I think Sega just realized that it'd cost more money to maintain the servers than they'd make back with sales after they had given up on the Dreamcast. I think they used 9/11 as an official excuse though, correct me if I'm wrong.

Half-Life however still needed another month or two in development and testing.

jarrod

Banned
sonic4ever said:
-Devil Summoner (Atlus)..this was cut becuase of religous stuff near the end
-Steamgear Mash (Atlus) Never heard this was even considered for America.
Actually, Atlus USA cut Saturn support in late 1996 because it was floundering. They had also announced Lunacy, which SOA picked up after Atlus backed out.

sonic4ever said:
-Grandia (SEGA)..Now I NEVER heard this game was truly coming out..Saturnworld.com suggested that it was either Grandia or Panzer Dragoon Saga, but no real proof that Sega of america was truly going to bring this game out.
It was formally announced by SOE (no word from SOA though). They'd even gone through the trouble of licensing it from Game Arts, but there was a management turnover before things even got started... would've been a holiday 1998 release. :(

sonic4ever said:
-Policenauts (Konami)..didn't bring it out becuase Sony wouldn't allow a version for PS1.
No, it was actually planned to be Saturn exclusive from the start (following Snatcher on SegaCD)... like Atlus USA, Konami USA just backed out of Saturn publishing quietly before it was finished.

You're thinking of Paroduis Deluxe (which was a planned launch game, but SCEA denying concept approval torpedoed any localization).

sonic4ever said:
-Project X2 (Capcom) What is this game?? Never heard of it.
Pre-rendered 2D shooter by Team 17. Capcom was planning on NA/JP releases (someone else released it in EU iirc).

sonic4ever said:
Never officially announced, but I believe SCEA's SNK deal included some level of exclusivity... which killed any potential Saturn release. :(

sonic4ever said:
Sad so many more games could have come out in the USA. Europe got The King of Fighters '95, Deep Fear in English, Paridous, Keo Flying squadron 2, and Wipe out 2. I don't see why Sega didn't aleast bring out Deep Fear to America. It would have solf 10,000 copies like the other Saturn games that were released that last year.
Agreed an Deep Fear, I've no idea why SOA didn't release it when it was 100% in english already (thanks to SOE). Ditto for games like WipEout XL, Z, DOA, etc... SOA should've stepped up and released some 3rd party content, it's not like going 1.5 years without console software releases really helped the company or anything. Hell, if they'd have just helped Capcom USA subsidize the 4MB RAM cart, we'd have probably gotten steady Capcom games through 1998.

I've also heard pre-Bernie, SOA was planning on localizing the entire SF3 trilogy and releasing it as a single premium title. When Bernie took over, they evidently decided to just pump out the first scenario instead and call it quits though. :(

AdmiralViscen said:
Wow, DQ7 was gonna be on Saturn? How much development was actually done?
No idea... it evidently went from 64DD to SS to PS.

As is, it looks more like a SS game imo (blockier 3D with no lighting, gorgeous 2D animation).

D-X

Deep Fear is home to some of the most hilarious voice acting I've ever heard - it was like they were trying to top Resident Evil and they succeeded.

I remember how awesome Geist Force was. CG and ship design by Netter Digital (the B5 people), and awesome shooter gameplay. Why did Sega can it again?

distantmantra said:
Unless you know something I don't, development on Skies 2 was never actually started.

Noriyoshi Oba: I don't think it's such a violent game! [laughs] The Skies of Arcadia sequel is in the planning stages at the moment.
(Source Kikizo IV 2003)

Spikeout itself was running on actual Dreamcast at one point I believe but never made it past Apha.

My most would-love-to-see of all cancelled games though is BY FAR VF3 on Saturn. I think Kataoka from Am2 told zero-chan in a 1up interview (that was originally meant to be for me - dammit) that there were two different versions in development on Saturn. Neither has ever been seen...

Also I can't believe Shenmue 3 is absent from DC's cancelled list.

lupin23rd

I saw a reference to Terra Phantastica, I believe that game did come out since I actually had it :) but maybe I missed the point of the reference? Definitely nowhere close to that screenshot IIRC.

I am surprised Guilty Gear didn't come out on the Saturn, pretty much every other fighting game (that wasn't from Namco) came out for it.

m

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i played half-life for the dreamcast. it wasn't too shabby and i managed to make it pretty far without cursing the controller. pretty good port.

ProphetZG

I have Propeller Arena on CDR. It's pretty nice, not earth-shattering by any means. The graphics are excellent (especially for its time) and it's got that AM2 arcade feel to it.

Anyone lamenting its lack of official release - download it and burn it. You won't be hurting a soul, and you can finally satisfy your curiosity about the game. It's just a shame that more cancelled games haven't been leaked out for curious fans to try. A working CDR burn sure beats looking at blurry screen shots and wondering...

D-X said:
Deep Fear is home to some of the most hilarious voice acting I've ever heard - it was like they were trying to top Resident Evil and they succeeded.

Yes I agree. i Imported the Japanese version. I actually would have bought the european version back then if I had found a good importer that imported from europe. It is just sad SOA didn't release this game in America when all the work had been done. I would have another rare game I could now sell on E-bay. :D

Top Bottom