• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancelled "Epic Disney Racers" concept art found, spin-off of "Epic Mickey Series"

latest

https://www.destructoid.com/epic-disney-racers-was-once-in-the-works-rip-epic-mickey-ip-381918.phtml

Would you have played Epic Disney Racers? I would have given it a shot.

Some new information has popped up regarding a spinoff title in the same ill-fated "Epic" universe, which was of course canceled and will likely never see the light of day now that Disney is content just licensing all of its properties instead of creating things itself. The kicker? It would have had a Double Dash twist with teammates in the same car, possibly featuring co-op play.

This comes from the Epic Mickey Wiki originally, but that concept art looks good, and the cast was solid too. If they had given some more time and polish to the first game, we could have been living the high-life at this point with this and the Donald game.

Instead, all we have is disappointment : (

Deft Beck

I don't think this would have fit the Epic Disney universe in tone at all. It feels like it would have cheapened the brand.

Chindogg

Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour on Dreamcast was incredible back in the day and just as wacky of a concept.

Sad we never got to see this exist.

The disconnect between the original Epic Mickey concept art, what the game turned out to be, and now this cancelled cart racer is still incredibly jarring.

Mickey and Oswald are such great characters together but the Epic Universe never felt right to me.

That said, I mean I'd play the hell out a Kart Racer with them since I really like the friendship.

jediyoshi

I don't think this would have fit the Epic Disney universe in tone at all. It feels like it would have cheapened the brand.

If the games lived up to what its early art evoked, I'd agree. Ultimately, I don't think the Epic name ended up holding that kind of weight.

Svafnir

That's super interesting. I honestly have never liked kart racers other than Mario Kart so who knows how it would of turned out.

Xav

I enjoyed Mickey's Speedway USA by Rare on the N64 so I would of been down for another Disney kart racer. With that said, Epic Disney Racers probably would of been shit just like the other two Epic games.

I do think that if there's a decent alternative to Mario Kart, it would be Disney based.

I love Epic Mickey and would have welcomed more games. Epic Donald sounds great.

Just like Junction Point and Epic Mikey before, Disney also killed Infinity and Avalanche.

Infinity 3.0 had Toy Box Speedway by Sumo Digital maker of the Sonic and Sega All-Star Racing series.

It had 9 premade tracks, powerups, time trials, a battle mode and tracks that changed every lap like Sonic Racing.

Agrabah Raceway - Aladdin
San Fransokyo Circuit - Big Hero 6
Arendelle Racing Rink - Frozen
Gravity Falls Mystery Tour - Gravity Falls
Road to Knowhere - Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
Monsters Mayhem - Monsters, Inc.
Halloween Town Highway - The Nightmare Before Christmas
Dunes of Tatooine - Star Wars
Sugar Rush Raceway - Wreck-It Ralph

Though it only had 2-player split-screen which was incredibly dumb

Even if the framerate was 10fps you put in 4-player local-play in a kart racer.

Lijik

After the sequel had you revive Autopia and let you do optional little time trial races I dont think it really would have impacted much. 2 was far less dystopic in nature compared to the first (which was already way toned down from the concept art)

Simbabbad

This is the sort of concept that looks good on paper, but:

- The "Epic" brand was mishandled from the very start. The bleak, disturbing original art was great to imagine stuff, but we can't know if it was a good idea or if it was feasible at all, commercially (if you were in charge of Disney, would you really allow it)? And the actual Epic Mickey games never established a clear concept or universe on which you could build anything.

- The team behind that potential game sucked. People very clearly outlined what was wrong in the first Epic Mickey game, and not only they did the exact same mistakes in the sequel, they made every one of them worse, and then added new problems. Spector talked about "Nintendo quality" and compared Epic Mickey to Super Mario Galaxy - if the same sort of gap between those two games was to be found between this racer and Mario Kart, no thanks.

Top Bottom