• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canned games that were barely ever shown. Which would you have loved to have seen?

Although there are games canned relatively far in development for one reason or another, there have been games that exist to the public only by name, a piece or art, or a terrible-quality teaser.

So you've seen canned games with enough media to have known what to expect but are still sad never saw the light of day. But what about games that fall into the former category?

Mine at the top of my head are the following:

Cat Roots (N64 by Marigul (unknown which team):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buEoscrTzac

This looked batshit crazy, I love crazy cartoony games like this and would've adored this maybe having been released as a GC game like a few of Marigul's games like Cubivore (by Saru Brunei) and Doshin the Giant (by Param).

Sword of Legendia (Wii by Bandai Namco)

This was a very enigmatic JRPG for Wii only mentioned officially once in September 2006. Over the years it was known that Tales folks were working on it yet it wasn't a Tales game. It was finally confirmed a few years ago that it was long canned.

Just this one piece of art from Sept 2006 was ever shown:

swordoflegendia.jpg

Dragon Marked For Death (3DS by Marvelous and Inti Creates)

Only ever mentioned here just over 3 years ago in Oct 2011. It was only teased as being an online-focused game developed by Inti Creates. With a name like that, how can you NOT be interested? My thoughts are that it could've been a MH clone just because of the name and the online. Technically it was never said to be canned and could surface any day now... any day now... :( Besides Inti Creates have their hands full with Mighty No. 9 and are assisting with Shantae Half Genie Hero.

Shining Force Gear (Wii by Sega and Neverland)

Oh god this one hurt. This was originally leaked as existing by a NL member who quickly threw the comments under a rug. The name was trademarked. And it never showed up. :'( Now that Neverland is gone, we can't even hope for a 3DS revival unless Sega and Marvelous (with the ex-Neverland folks as the Forbidden Magna team) team up. Doubt it. :(

What about you GAF? Which would you loved to have at least seen, and which ones hurt the most?

INB4 Chrono Cross. edit: Meant Chrono Break. XD

Rich!

Mother 3 original N64 version, in playable format.

I know we got a couple of shit quality trailers, and that we got it on the GBA, but still.

Also, BANJO THREEIE.

A bunch of PSP games. Makai Wars, Devil May Cry PSP, Resident Evil PSP, Oblivion Travels... seems like every big studio was on board when Sony announced and then jumped ship when sales weren't so hot.

FF Versus XIII. I would love to have the kingdom hearts gameplay, but instead we get the weird 1 button system. Still gonna love every second, so its only mild dissapointment

The Last Guardian

Krejlooc

Banned
Ecco the Dolphin 32X:

wPfofDf.jpg

Ecco the Dolphin Sega Saturn:

aZZDejl.jpg

Neither game progressed beyond pitch videos. No actual development was done to either. The 32X cart that ran the video above has been found and dumped, the CGI animation is just an cinepak video on the 32X cart.

Still would have liked to see where they would have gone.

Chocobo Racing for 3DS. Was mentioned once or twice, and I think there's a screenshot floating around somewhere. But it was canned a while ago.

Chocobo Racing for 3DS. Was mentioned once or twice, and I think there's a screenshot floating around somewhere. But it was canned a while ago.

Yeah, that actually had a couple second gameplay clip from the 2010 Fall Conference IIRC. Here's a screen:

iCheh3tWzHZi.png

Bomberman 3DS as well in the same way.

I was thinking more of games barely having anything but a name. But you guys could stretch it if you want. ;)

Aaron D.

Most likely Starcraft: Ghost.

Primarily because it was being worked on by Swingin' Ape Studios, creators of the masterful Metal Arms: Glitch in the System.

tcrunch

Ecco the Dolphin 32X:

wPfofDf.jpg

Ecco the Dolphin Sega Saturn:

aZZDejl.jpg

Neither game progressed beyond pitch videos. No actual development was done to either. The 32X cart that ran the video above has been found and dumped, the CGI animation is just an cinepak video on the 32X cart.

Still would have liked to see where they would have gone.

There was an Ecco game for Dreamcast though.

iUdpHDO.jpg

Krejlooc

Banned
Dreamcast version of Gun Valkyrie:

Omi7B1v.jpg

Content wise, the Xbox Version we got was pretty similar, but mechanically they were vastly different games. The Xbox version controls kind of like a dual analog stick shooter with awful momentum that is hard to play. The Dreamcast version, however, was going to use a special one-handed nunchuck controller with an analog stick and buttons meant to be held in the left hand, while the right hand used the Sega Dreamcast light gun as pointer controls, ala the Wii-mote.

AiR NiGHTS:

1Z7irgZ.jpg

Images of the game itself have never surfaced, but the images of the prototype controller have. This giant controller had IMUs built in and could be pointed at the screen and waggled to control NiGHTS, much like the wiimote.

Bonus, this isn't software necessarily but I remember being so stoked for this:

MP3 VMU:

b4adSAt.jpg

This was announced right before the dreamcast's death. it was a VMU (the dreamcast memory card) with a hardware MP3 player built in. It was going to come with 128 mb of memory for MP3s.

Back in 2000 this would have been the hottest shit on the planet. Sega was so damn ahead of their time.

Krejlooc

Banned
Virtua Fighter 3 Sega Saturn. I'd love to have seen how that turned out.

Fighters Megamix contains a lot of early work they were doing for VF3. Janet, for example, is actually Aoi from VF3 with a different skin, and many of the mechanics and moves from VF3 were hidden in FMM. There were 2 completed versions of VF3 running on the saturn, though.

Anywho, The PC Genjin/Bonk RPG looked cool:

L94zn7x.png

d38utkI.jpg

Top Bottom