• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canned games that were barely ever shown. Which would you have loved to have seen?

Netprints

I know they had a trailer for this game but BC for the Xbox. I was so pumped for this game. They canceled it with the game 50% done.

Li Kao

Memory is hazy but I think I read some years ago that EA canned a 3d platformer with a Dickens vibe. Would have loved to see it.

Blur

Banned
the-crossing2.jpg

The Crossing by Arkane
Asynchronous multiplayer open world game. Still no one have done anything like it :( What a pity that they didnt have a funding for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSRewknGUeY

Minus the cross play with PC and Xbox, Titanfall comes closest as it has Singleplayer/Multiplayer together.

Landstalker PSP.

They only ever showed it once, and it was just the model of one of the towns.

landstalkerpspbeta02.jpg

It was never heard from again, and Climax seems to be long gone now.

mnannola

For me this would have to be Titan. How could they work on a game for that long without really anything of substance leaking out? There must tons of videos and screenshots of this game that have not seen the light of day yet.

Krejlooc

Banned
All the canned shit from the sonic games are awesome:

5jRD3aG.png

HGX1ooC.png

lZs9lF7.jpg

EV3iKTR.jpg

VzBi6uO.jpg

vmmIrl8.png

SZIG6TM.png

KHSaxWd.png

b0tYxUp.png

dz1pQZo.jpg

Oi1TKHC.gif

bAJNUXk.png

EzV5flQ.png

nJ3HoHY.jpg

And then you had Sonic Xtreme which underwent numerous name changes (Sonic Mars, Sonic Xtreme, Saturn Sonic, etc), platform changes (Genesis -> 32X -> Saturn), engine rewrites... today, we have everything ever done for the game, except the engine. No actual levels were created for this game, just very quick WIPs which aren't too fun to explore:

IvBPhnU.jpg

Pitch video running on Amiga 1200

QwoHGCq.jpg

more pitch animation running on Amiga 1200

vliYEvl.jpg

Early Isometric version called Sonic Mars at the time, possibly running on stock Sega Genesis

SFyNYd1.png

Early version using NiGHTS engine before Yuji Naka had it pulled

Qea9yXs.jpg

More NiGHTS engine

2xRMjnR.jpg

Completely separate "Saturn Sonic" project

zPYuCLf.jpg

Early sketch for second playable character, Tiara Bobowski. Sonic X-treme would have had multiple playstyles in addition to the normal Sonic 1. Tiara Bobowski would have played in 2D like a classic Sonic game

gl0gaLy.gif

Tiara gameplay

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/29/Sxtreme-jadegully.jpg[/img]
This is how most people remember Sonic Xtreme. This was actually not running on a Saturn, this was a windows 9x program

MKHeiYK.jpg

SiBdw2k.jpg

Again, all of this has been leaked, you can play with it today. All that's missing is the actual game engine, which was never completed or even that far along to begin with. The levels you see were thrown together in 10-15 minutes as tests, when you explore them it's very obvious they're not real levels. There is no sense of level progression, they're just to look nice for pics.

Krejlooc

Banned
sörine;136114846 said:
Wasn't Sega-Falcom just a branding partnership? I thought Sims developed Popful Mail SCD?

It was more like a holdings partnership, but yes, that's what I mean. Their partnership dissolved after Popful Mail. They would have been responsible for Ys IV on the Sega CD. I wish they would have stuck around.

Paskil

I don't the exact amount of the game that was converted into Mother 3, but I would have loved to see the original Earthbound 64 get a release.

As already mentioned, I'd love to see a complete Fallout Van Buren.

sörine

Banned
It was more like a holdings partnership, but yes, that's what I mean. Their partnership dissolved after Popful Mail. They would have been responsible for Ys IV on the Sega CD. I wish they would have stuck around.
Okay yeah, that's how I understood it. And I think Falcom might've had more direct oversight/supervision than their other licensed games maybe?

Googling a bit it turns out Sega-Falcom actually had two Mega CD projects canned when they shut down; Ys IV and Super Brandish! Ys IV was originally a cart MD game too it seems so maybe it got further along than we think?

Ecco the Dolphin 32X:

wPfofDf.jpg

Ecco the Dolphin Sega Saturn:

aZZDejl.jpg

Neither game progressed beyond pitch videos. No actual development was done to either. The 32X cart that ran the video above has been found and dumped, the CGI animation is just an cinepak video on the 32X cart.

Still would have liked to see where they would have gone.

Thank god the Dreamcast/PS2 game happened!

Lijik

The original version of Rayman Raving Rabbids. I feel like it still would have been minigame focused (a lot of the prerelease footage has minigame equivalents) strung together by platforming, but itd still be interesting to see.

Theres assets of the original game still on the wii disc, but no real way to do anything with them.

sörine

Banned
I saw a screen for it in a magazine
That was an SGI Onyx based test for a 3D battle with FFVI characters. It was playable too iirc, you could cast spells by drawing symbols with a mouse or something.

FFVII was never a N64 game, although it was a SNES game at one point.

Omni

I don't think we saw anything

But Tiberium really interested me. The concept anyway. I remember reading about it in the OXM and really liking what I was hearing.

The original version of Rayman Raving Rabbids. I feel like it still would have been minigame focused (a lot of the prerelease footage has minigame equivalents) strung together by platforming, but itd still be interesting to see.

Theres assets of the original game still on the wii disc, but no real way to do anything with them.

Oh my god I was so hyped for this. :(

I know they had a trailer for this game but BC for the Xbox. I was so pumped for this game. They canceled it with the game 50% done.

For real, I started saving up my pocket money back in the day so I could afford an Xbox so I could play BC. Was heart broken when I found out it was cancelled.

OnPoint

You saw a technical demo of Final Fantasy 6's battle system done in 3D at SIGGRAPH running on a $10,000 SGI workstation that was played with a mouse. There was never a final fantasy 64 ever in production.

vZf3KbY.png

What I saw was a magazine printing a screen of it as Final Fantasy 64. I can't be the only one to think that was what it was because if that.

It was this:

ff64-6.gif

I get what it technically was, but it was billed as FF64 at the time.

sörine;136118038 said:
That was an SGI Onyx based test for a 3D battle with FFVI characters. It was playable too iirc, you could cast spells by drawing symbols with a mouse or something.

FFVII was never a N64 game, although it was a SNES game at one point.
Well I didn't call it FFVII did I lol

Rich!

Technically not canned, but the beta version of Mario World looked radically different and way cooler IMO:

4y3U93h.jpg

I think you may like this romhack then:

super-mario-world-beta-remake-hack-01.jpg

super-mario-world-beta-remake-hack-02.jpg

super-mario-world-beta-remake-hack-03.jpg

super-mario-world-beta-remake-hack-04.jpg

super-mario-world-beta-remake-hack-06.jpg

yeah, you can basically play the beta (well, as close as you'll ever get to it anyway)

I can confirm it works on a real snes, tested with my super everdrive. The beta rom graphics are actually hidden in the Super Nintendo Service Test ROM, and are taken from that. It's really faithful. Even the racoon tail is implemented correctly.

Krejlooc

Banned
BS Zelda 2:
7vPtrd3.jpg

Appears to have been once in development for the Sattellaview. It would have been an SNES update of Zelda 2, much like BS Zelda was an SNES update of Zelda 1.

Metroid 2 DX
6J4earc.jpg

Like Zelda: LADX, this was going to be a full color upgrade for Metroid 2 for the Gameboy color. Publicly announced alongside the gameboy color but never materialized.

Krejlooc

Banned
What I saw was a magazine printing a screen of it as Final Fantasy 64. I can't be the only one to think that was what it was because if that.

It was this:

ff64-6.gif

I get what it technically was, but it was billed as FF64 at the time.

it was misreported. This is 2014, we don't have to live off the word of 19 year olds at EGM anymore. There never was a Final Fantasy 64.

This is like going around talking about a canceled version of Final Fantasy VII for the PS3. Or a canceled version of Final Fantasy 8 for the PS2. These things never existed nor were they in development.

Possession by Volatile games. An RTS/survival horror kinda game where you control a zombie or horde of zombies. Probably would have been terrible but I built it up in my head some much before the start of last gen.

BC seemed interesting.

B.C. for Xbox

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC_(video_game)

Molyneux was probably lying a whole lot. As usual. Was super hyped for it and gutted that it got cancelled after about two years of development.

+1 for BC.

I remember reading a preview about it in a Xbox mag and my imagination just ran away with me. Was gutted when I later read it had been canned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aisRonTCNCc

Ah well, at least we now have Wild. No dinosaurs in that going by the launch trailer, though.

sörine

Banned
Metroid 2 DX
6J4earc.jpg

Like Zelda: LADX, this was going to be a full color upgrade for Metroid 2 for the Gameboy color. Publicly announced alongside the gameboy color but never materialized.
A GBC rerelease of Kirby's Dream Land 2 was also announced at the same time I believe. Too bad only Link's Awakening, Wario Land 2, Game & Watch Gallery 2 and Tetris only ended up happening.

Top Bottom