• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canned games that were barely ever shown. Which would you have loved to have seen?

Grizzo

yo that mario has a tanooki tail

as for what i wanted more of was project offset

oh god I must be really tired today, I forgot that were was no tanooki tail in SMW. I got mixed up with SMB3

okay now I kinda get where Krejlooc was coming from in his initial post

Nikodemos

Aww, man, I remember how stoked I was about a new Mechwarrior. Even posted a thread on Adrenaline Vault's forum about it.

Krejlooc

Banned
The little bit of jazz jackrabbit 3 we got to play looked and played awesome. I wish they would revisit it, as a mario 64 style mascot platformer would be awesome today.

Aesnath

I remember seeing a few screens of a castlevania game for the dreamcast. Sure, it was 3d, and likely would have sucked, but I was up for that.

woopWOOP

DorinDragonHopper.0.jpg
Dragon Hopper for VB. Looked like a cute new Nintendo franchise, might've eventually gotten a sequel on a system that doesn't strain your eyes as much.
Ugh, yeah. This is the worst, right up there with Sega canning Skies of Arcadia HD
They did WHAT

SEEEGAAA!!

Fortress - that FFXII sequel/spinoff that Square-Enix entrusted to GRIN. Quite why they elected to hand it to a studio whose track record hasn't exactly been stunning to say the least we might never know, but we do know that they weren't too happy with how the project was coming along and canned it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1lQeYjceLc

fortress_-_ashedec28.jpg

fortress_-_ffxii_judg85e5e.jpg

fortress-final-fantasjviy2.jpg

A shame, really. There was the real potential of a sort of open-world Dark Souls-like game with an Ivalice setting and this could have been - in the right hands - a much more enticing Final Fantasy game than any other Final Fantasy game released last gen.

Krejlooc

Banned
A sequel to chakan the forever man was in development for the dreamcast and looked awesome. It eventually became blood omen 2: legacy of kain

krizzx

Technically not canned, but the beta version of Mario World looked radically different and way cooler IMO:

4y3U93h.jpg

hyFb0Np.jpg

U194EUC.jpg

They changed that a lot. The 3rd stage look Mario 3ish outside of the Koopa under the water. That would have been an interesting stage.

Daffy Duck

There was a game years ago (10+ years easily), I swear it was by MS called digital anvil or it might have been by a studio called that, but it was like an open world type game possibly for the PC, but I never heard any more of it. Press shots showed pictures of cop cars and stuff.

Maybe GAF can shed some light on what it was?

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
The original version of Diablo III:

diablo_3_2005_keep8.jpg

D3-early-bone-screenshot4.jpg

Diablo3-2005-3.jpg

d3old9.jpg

diablo3_2005_1.jpg

D3-early-bone-screenshot1.jpg

One gameplay video...that's all I wanted.

Landstalker PSP.
This is just the worst. Climax did Steal Princess, which is apparently janky but still an isometric action game of sorts. Who knows where Naito, Tamakai, Orimo, and Ohori are now (let alone Nishigaki, who like Eno died before his time).

At least Granzella's doing well. I've no doubt Kujo and co. will get something done with the IP in the future.

Korten

Banned
Fortress - that FFXII sequel/spinoff that Square-Enix entrusted to GRIN. Quite why they elected to hand it to a studio whose track record hasn't exactly been stunning to say the least we might never know, but we do know that they weren't too happy with how the project was coming along and canned it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1lQeYjceLc

fortress_-_ashedec28.jpg

fortress_-_ffxii_judg85e5e.jpg

fortress-final-fantasjviy2.jpg

A shame, really. There was the real potential of a sort of open-world Dark Souls-like game with an Ivalice setting and this could have been - in the right hands - a much more enticing Final Fantasy game than any other Final Fantasy game released last gen.

Damn, you reminded me of this. IT LOOKED SOOOO GOOD. :( Squareinx pls...

LordOfChaos

Project Offset. It was so far ahead of the game graphically/technologically, I was pissed Intel killed it. Gameplay looked like a bit like AC combined with Skyrim I think.

http://youtu.be/Lw_QBGUYmy0?t=2m48s

This was 7 years ago, like holy crap. Think about what else was happening in 2007, it was pretty far ahead of most games.

sörine

Banned
Dragon Hopper for VB. Looked like a cute new Nintendo franchise, might've eventually gotten a sequel on a system that doesn't strain your eyes as much.
Dragon Hopper is actually 100% complete, some magazines even reviewed it. Hopefully the rom leaks some day like Bound High did.

Pudge

I've always wondered what GRIN would have been able to do with that Mega Man FPS. It could have been Bomberman Act Zero levels of terrible, but I'm still curious, and it's better than no games at all.

kick51

Banned
Dreamcast version of Gun Valkyrie:

Omi7B1v.jpg

Content wise, the Xbox Version we got was pretty similar, but mechanically they were vastly different games. The Xbox version controls kind of like a dual analog stick shooter with awful momentum that is hard to play. The Dreamcast version, however, was going to use a special one-handed nunchuck controller with an analog stick and buttons meant to be held in the left hand, while the right hand used the Sega Dreamcast light gun as pointer controls, ala the Wii-mote.

AiR NiGHTS:

1Z7irgZ.jpg

Images of the game itself have never surfaced, but the images of the prototype controller have. This giant controller had IMUs built in and could be pointed at the screen and waggled to control NiGHTS, much like the wiimote.

Bonus, this isn't software necessarily but I remember being so stoked for this:

gun valkyrie might be the hardest game to control I've ever played. that alternate method doesn't sound much easier...it's like they set out to create a game with convoluted controls. which is fine, not everything needs to control the same and some people love gun valk, so the fault is on my end.

Krejlooc

Banned
Here's one retro gamers in europe might be familiar with, and a heads up for those unfamiliar. The Amiga 1000/500 was released in 1985, 2 years after the NES, MSX, etc. The Amiga 500/1000 was, needless to say, extremely advanced compared to virtually all of its contemporaries, blowing away not only rival game machines but also rival computers. It was one of the most significant leaps in home computing technology in history. It was able to keep pace well into the Genesis and SNES lifetimes when. It was, essentially, a true generation ahead of the competition.

Compare:

NES:
hWhayHq.png

MSX:
BVoLAfi.gif

Apple IIe:
OTysoYu.jpg

Amiga 500:
M6NJ4HZ.png

MElwg94.jpg

exZELxS.png

Around 1990, Commodore released a very slight upgrade to the original Amiga graphics chip. The original chip became known as OCS - Original Chip Set, where the new Amiga 500+ chipset became known as ECS, the Enhanced Chip Set. This basically allowed for high resolution still images.

By 1992, the 7 year old Amiga was getting long in the tooth and a much hyped revision was supposed to be upcoming that would have been as big of a boost to then-current graphics as the original Amiga was back in 1985. After delays and revisions, Commodore eventually released the AGA - the Advanced Graphics Architecture for the new Amiga 1200 line, which was backwards compatible with OCS and ECS. It wound up only being a very slight upgrade, compare an original Amiga 500 title to an AGA title:

ECS:

QBqaudl.png

AGA:

OJH9eMq.png

A nice improvement but nothing dramatic. The disappointing upgrade that AGA afforded was sort of a dying gasp from Commodore, who closed up shop less than a year and a half later.

Well, the original plans for the graphics upgrade hadn't been scrapped, and continued to progress until the day commodore closed shop as the AAA - The Amiga Advanced-Graphics Architecture. AAA can be seen, functional, on a desk in the documentary The Deathbed Vigil and other tales of digital angst filmed about the last 24 hours of Commodore.

upclose image of the board (not the functional one from the documentary):

nyxmotherboard3.jpg

This thing was supposed to be an enormous step up, and bring the Amiga in line with competition from 486 PCs and upcoming 3D consoles like the 3DO. Shame it never got to a point where demos could be created for the hardware.

Top Bottom