• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canned games that were barely ever shown. Which would you have loved to have seen?

Kezen

Banned
Project Nano by Epic Games :
http://www.vgleaks.com/project-nano-aka-blueprint-from-epic-games-unveiled

nano-owen_sondo.jpg

nano-owen2-600x438.jpg

samaritan.jpg

koma

There was a game years ago (10+ years easily), I swear it was by MS called digital anvil or it might have been by a studio called that, but it was like an open world type game possibly for the PC, but I never heard any more of it. Press shots showed pictures of cop cars and stuff.

Maybe GAF can shed some light on what it was?

Loose Cannon? It was developed by Digital Anvil and there was a cop :p http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/15/loose-cannon-xbox-cancelled/

CentroXer

Banned
Fortress - that FFXII sequel/spinoff that Square-Enix entrusted to GRIN. Quite why they elected to hand it to a studio whose track record hasn't exactly been stunning to say the least we might never know, but we do know that they weren't too happy with how the project was coming along and canned it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1lQeYjceLc

fortress_-_ashedec28.jpg

fortress_-_ffxii_judg85e5e.jpg

fortress-final-fantasjviy2.jpg

A shame, really. There was the real potential of a sort of open-world Dark Souls-like game with an Ivalice setting and this could have been - in the right hands - a much more enticing Final Fantasy game than any other Final Fantasy game released last gen.

GRIN said that SquareEnix was impossible to work with. They sent code over fax machines and they complained that their artstyle wasn't Final Fantasy (even though GRIN posted them official FF art lol)

So guys, did you know Square was once developing a railway simulation game for Japanese PCs?

220190100-2.jpg

T'was to be named Amtrack, a game where you must connect villages dotted across (a) map(s) of your own choosing. Back in 1985, the company was most famous for its graphical adventure games, like Will: The Death Trap II and Alpha. But they were making this and Cruise Chaser Blassty as well, presumably to diversify and expand their market.

While this was a good move, a problem arose: before the announced autumn/end-of-year release date, Square got a sneak peek at a game called Take the A-Train, which was further along in development and presumably of higher quality (though I think Amtrack looks just as complex if not bigger in scale). So Artdink's project must have influenced Square to back down and focus on Blassty, which performed quite well anyway (it even had a popular manga serialization). Then Sakaguchi and co. left this pasture for the Famicom, and the rest is history.

Oh! FM-7 page on this unreleased title

Imagine if Square had become what Artdink is today!

Spacejaws

Baldur's Gate 3: The Black Hound :(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate_III:_The_Black_Hound

Although the engine was the same as used in Neverwinter Nights so maybe more of a bullet dodged there (Auroras fine and all but a let down after the infinity engine.)

Also Raven Blade was so hyped for it and Too Human(Im sure I saw it getting articles for Gamecube version) the Gamecube was great but the mega titles and exclusives slowed to a trickle and I had my eye on Raven Blade to change that. The footage looked pretty cool at the time :(

sarcoa

There were 2 completed versions of VF3 running on the saturn, though.
Is there a resource citing this somewhere? I've been fascinated with the idea of a Saturn VF3 for ages, and I feel like I google the shit out of it every six months and arrive at the same conclusion; it never made it to Saturn. Stealthing parts of it into Fighters Megamix seems to be the best we got.

Also I don't get the Star Wars 1313 love. I had an appointment with Lucasarts at E3 that year and saw it demoed "live" in their weird ass tiny theater. It looked cool, but whatever they were comfortable showing didn't look too dissimilar from Uncharted. Once you get past the visuals, which modern games will very shortly, what's left? Cool at the time though, especially when nothing outside of Watch Dogs looked that good in person.

Krejlooc

Banned
Is there a resource citing this somewhere? I've been fascinated with the idea of a Saturn VF3 for ages, and I feel like I google the shit out of it every six months and arrive at the same conclusion; it never made it to Saturn. Stealthing parts of it into Fighters Megamix seems to be the best we got.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?41476-Virtua-Fighter-3(Shenmue)-on-Sega-Saturn

You can absolutely, 100% trust the people in that thread. Especially Yakumo and Anthaemia.

AiR NiGHTS:

1Z7irgZ.jpg

Images of the game itself have never surfaced, but the images of the prototype controller have. This giant controller had IMUs built in and could be pointed at the screen and waggled to control NiGHTS, much like the wiimote.
Development never really began.

AiR NiGHTS was originally slatted for the Saturn, remember the 3D controller had an "expansion" of sorts? (game controller cable could be unplugged) that was a very beta implementation of the Dreamcast "2 expansions per controller" idea, loosely based on the N64 too, no doubt.

Anyway, their idea was having motion controls for the sequel. Said sequel was tested on the Dreamcast seeing they had an engine, but it was probably mostly the original game using a new controller scheme and perhaps different camera viewpoints too.

That idea evolved into some prototype Dreamcast controller that looked like a Wii remote but said controller wasn't slated for release ever since it was ditched for the dreamcast one:

wii_dreamcontroller2_qjgenth.jpg

So I don't know about the other game "originally intended control scheme", bare in mind that this Dreamcast controller didn't have a sensor bar or any means to be tracked and was a good 8/9 years before the Wiimote hit with very hit and miss motion controls, chances are it would suck balls for such game.

This era of motion sensing was only alright for something like NiGHTS or Kirby Tilt and Tumble kind of games.

GentleDementia

Neo Member
Possession
Got a brief article in Game Informer (I think? It was ages ago), some really cool trailers that showed off procedurally generated zombie attack animations and whatnot. Then vanished into the ether.
I was so excited for it, shame to see it go.

OnPoint

it was misreported. This is 2014, we don't have to live off the word of 19 year olds at EGM anymore. There never was a Final Fantasy 64.

This is like going around talking about a canceled version of Final Fantasy VII for the PS3. Or a canceled version of Final Fantasy 8 for the PS2. These things never existed nor were they in development.

Look I get what you're saying. And I'm not arguing that it WAS in all actuality FF64. But as for your comparisons? It's absolutely not like that. FFVII for PS3 especially. That was always said to be a video, no matter what people wanted to hear.

It was a time before the internet for almost everyone. It was a time before we could fact check things ourselves. It was a time before we had access to the knowledge we have now. And I'm willing to bet that for many people who saw that image, the idea of FF64 was real then, and without the knowledge you have, is as real now despite it being a tech demo. Because it came from a place we trusted.

So don't scold me because you have knowledge of the situation that I didn't. I apprecaite the education, but get off your high horse. Not everyone is up to date on this stuff and I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Krejlooc

Banned
Look I get what you're saying. And I'm not arguing that it WAS in all actuality FF64. But as for your comparisons? It's absolutely not like that. FFVII for PS3 especially. That was always said to be a video, no matter what people wanted to hear.

It is exactly like the situation I described, except for the fact that it was reported correctly.

I'm not sure I deem a tech demo of a saturn port as actual development.

All games begin as "tech demos," thats what functional alphas are.

DJMicLuv

Bandersnatch
Psyclapse
Willy Meets the Tax Man
The Mega Tree
Attack of the Mutant Zombie Flesh Eating Chickens From Mars

All ZX Spectrum/C64 era games that never were.

Peltz

Super Mario 64 2. There wasn't much footage outside of one or two screenshots I once saw in a magazine, but it existed at some point.

stufte

Super Mario 64 2. There wasn't much footage outside of one or two screenshots I once saw in a magazine, but it existed at some point.

I thought this was basically going to be a 64DD "add-on" for SB64 and not a true sequel?

OnPoint

It is exactly like the situation I described, except for the fact that it was reported correctly.

Keep missing the point then. Cool, you win, I give up. Continue ignoring the context and the rest of what I'm saying. You seem to have a lot of knowledge but your posting style comes off so ignorant.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Twisted Metal Black: Harbor City for the PS2

After getting a taste of what could have been in Twisted Metal Head-on: Extra Twisted Edition it's a shame that this got cancelled.

boyshine

Miyamoto's Jungle Emperor Leo / Kimba the White Lion for Nintendo 64

http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/04/emperor-of-the-jungle-junguru-taitei-kimba-n64-cancelled/ said:
Junguru Taitei 64 was to be a tie-in to the famous manga series marketed in the USA as Kimba the Lion, or Jungle Emperor Leo, (Nintendo Power Volume 97, page 104). The game, made with the involvement of both Shigeru Miyamoto and Osamu Tezuka son’s Makoto,was announced at Space World 1996, but it is unknown if the game was going to be released for the Nintendo 64 or for the 64DD (64 Power, Ausgabe 2/98, page 13). Technically breathtaking for the time, Junguru Taitei was going to be a faithful rendition of the show.

In a video presented at Space World 1997, Kimba ran across grasslands and rivers, ending, after meeting with his friends on the way, at the famous rock from the anime. The game was going to be an action adventure like Zelda, where you could explore a vast territory and encounter the various characters of the show. Unfortunately, the game was cancelled, specifically because of issues with Makoto. Miyamoto said in a interview that Nintendo asked Makoto to direct the game, but the son of the great mangaka was too busy with other projects. Makoto was also very inexperienced with videogames. The development may also have run into problems caused by the Nintendo 64 itself. It was quietly cancelled late in the N64’s life.

Myriadis

Maximo 3
I loved the two games released on the PS2, wonderful 3D spinoffs to Ghosts n Goblins and wonderfully difficult.
As they were working on Maximo 3, Capcom closed down that company

maximo-3-ps2-cancelled02.jpg

maximo-3-ps2-cancelled15.jpg

maximo-3-ps2-cancelled08.jpg

Supposedly it was supposed to have much more exploration elements and gets some more ideas from Zelda (items, puzzles) and Mark of Kri (lock-on system). I would've loved it to play that one.

Krejlooc

Banned
Continue ignoring the context

Who cares about the context? You've now posted twice in a hissy defense of assumed knowledge of a FF64 game in development when nobody was berating you for assuming the game was in development in the first place. This is a topic asking about which canceled games you'd like to see more of. You posted FF64. A couple of people pointed out the game never existed. So you doubled downed and posted that you saw it in a magazine. And then we explained that it was misreported.

That's all, the end. Quit being so defensive.

Thrill Kill. I was so hyped for that game as a kid. I even bought a copy of a gaming magazine that had it on the cover and had all the move lists and combos. It was cancelled some time between the magazine being published and the game releasing. Apparently, it was completely done.

sörine

Banned
This is different. Mario 64 2 was going to be two players co-op, one controlling Mario and the other Luigi.

Also I don't believe Mario 64 2 was going to be a 64DD expansion since Mario 64 has no programming hooks for recognizing it. Some other N64 carts do have these hooks though like Ocarina of Time, Mario Party 1 and (obviously) F-Zero X.

Krejlooc

Banned
sörine;136157152 said:
This is different. Mario 64 2 was going to be two players co-op, one controlling Mario and the other Luigi.

Also I don't believe Mario 64 2 was going to be a 64DD expansion since Mario 64 has no programming hooks for recognizing it. Some other N64 carts do have these hooks though like Ocarina of Time, Mario Party 1 and (obviously) F-Zero X.

To further this, the source of the Mario 64-2 stuff dates from space world 99, when miyamoto said the following when asked about a sequel to Mario 64:

Well, for over a year now at my desk, a prototype program of Mario and Luigi has been running on my monitor. We've been thinking about the game, and it may be something that could work on a completely new game system."

This appears to be when the term "Mario 128" also began being thrown around (as in, not the 128 marios demo for the gamecube).

OnPoint

Who cares about the context? You've now posted twice in a hissy defense of assumed knowledge of a FF64 game in development when nobody was berating you for assuming the game was in development in the first place. This is a topic asking about which canceled games you'd like to see more of. You posted FF64. A couple of people pointed out the game never existed. So you doubled downed and posted that you saw it in a magazine. And then we explained that it was misreported.

That's all, the end. Quit being so defensive.

You were the only one who was kind of a dick about it. But whatever, in the end, you're right, it didn't exist. Just remember that people used to get knowledge different ways. Consider softening up your posting style. You come off like a robot.

Krejlooc

Banned
You were the only one who was kind of a dick about it. But whatever, in the end, you're right, it didn't exist. Just remember that people used to get knowledge different ways. Consider softening up your posting style. You come off like a robot.

I think you're reading a tone where there is none implied. I type like I talk.

Mr. Tibbs

Ignition's cancelled shooter Reich. Stuff leaked out after it was put on hold, but I don't think they ever had a formal announcement. Looks pretty rough but the scale is pretty impressive. I would've liked to know more about the game.

Maximo 3
I loved the two games released on the PS2, wonderful 3D spinoffs to Ghosts n Goblins and wonderfully difficult.
As they were working on Maximo 3, Capcom closed down that company

maximo-3-ps2-cancelled02.jpg

maximo-3-ps2-cancelled15.jpg

maximo-3-ps2-cancelled08.jpg

Supposedly it was supposed to have much more exploration elements and gets some more ideas from Zelda (items, puzzles) and Mark of Kri (lock-on system). I would've loved it to play that one.
This....this one hurted lots :/

Top Bottom