• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't believe God of War "only" sold 2.5 million copies

Tieno

I was looking at the sale figures on VGcharts and saw it "only" sold/shipped 1.65million. I'm not saying that's bad or anything, cause it sold over a million and warranted a full fledged sequel. So I'm very happy with that and that's really all I want...but...

It still find it a bit low, considering the gigantic ps2 userbase(100+million), the sheer quality of the game, the critical praise, the accessibility, the setting, the production values...
Considering all of that, I expected to see it above 2mil and more, where it belongs with the other seeming top ps2 titles.

Wasn't there a lot of anticipation for this game? What was the marketting like?
It's not like it's a niche title or anything...or is this the limit for action games like this? DMC3 also sold 1.6million. Too late in the lifecycle of the ps2?

Though I think and hope GoW will expand its fanbase.

edit: the actual data
God of War PS2 Sony
Japan: 0.02
America: 1.32
Others: 0.31
Total: 1.65

edit2: according the specific 'Americas' section of VGcharts it sold 1.7mil in America.

Jonnyram

The game flopped in Japan, where it was published by Capcom rather than SCE. That's a big chunk of your 100 million PS2s accounted for there.

Tokubetsu

Kabouter said:
And for instance Gears of War, to cite a recent example, doesn't?

I dont mean to sound like a xbot or anything but im really thinking if it was an x360 game, it would have sold considerably better.

wazoo

Kabouter said:

I should have add that ps2 owners were not starved for good games when God of War launched, but smething told me it could be taken as a troll ...

Kabouter

wazoo said:
I should have add that ps2 owners were not starved for good games when God of War launched, but smething told me it could be taken as a troll ...

I don't think it's so much the amount of good titles as the fact that millions of 360 owners have the "game to game" syndrome, which is basically buying a game, finishing it within a week and then waiting for/buying "the next thing".

Borys

Banned
:( jaffe am :''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(

Of course it would sell a ton better on Xbox - I can't name one NON-hyped game for that platform.

100M of PS2 users... what do they play? GTA? Final Fantasy? Singstar? NHL? ****ing wankers.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Kabouter said:
I don't think it's so much the amount of good titles as the fact that millions of 360 owners have the "game to game" syndrome, which is basically buying a game, finishing it within a week and then waiting for/buying "the next thing".

This is precisely the attitude most of us has. I bought it first day, meaning GoW1. There wasn't a lot of hype around it till the IGn review, IIRC. That is what made me get it. I let 3 people borrow the game as well. They all beat it too. It's a popular game. We will see how GoW2 does at retail. Again, I'm getting this first day.

Tokubetsu

Lets not forget that 1.65 mill is bad though but with all the fuss, i could have sworn it was well over 2mill ATLEAST.

Tieno

Can anyone tell me what the hype was like when this game came out?
I only remember seeing the videos and thinking "wow, this the first ps2 game I actually really really want, it tickled and touched me in all the right places...too bad I don't have a ps2 :( *cry* ", I bought it almost a year later though.

Grayman

Borys said:
:( jaffe am :''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(

Of course it would sell a ton better on Xbox - I can't name one NON-hyped game for that platform.

100M of PS2 users... what do they play? GTA? Final Fantasy? Singstar? NHL? ****ing wankers.
must be that the library is so large that sales really spread out amoung different players.

1 in 100 playstation players bought god of war
1 in 3(ish?) bought both halos for xbox.

nothing on playstation is that attached unless you count all the GTAs or all the maddens put together as a single title.

another thing about the xbox,
online games.
god of war, 20 hours if it kicks you ass and rapes your skills. There isn't a big draw to own/keep the game instead of borrowing, renting, or buying and then selling(leading to used copy purchases)
gears of war, halo - online play. you don't sell your copy to a store, you don't give it a friend, you don't just rent em.

I'm not saying that 7 million people played god of war but there is that extra strength at retail that online games with their hundreds of hours of replay have that a offline 15-20 hour game has a hard time matching.

Grayman

Tieno said:
Can anyone tell me what the hype was like when this game came out?
I only remember seeing the videos and thinking "wow, this the first ps2 game I actually really really want, it tickled and touched me in all the right places...too bad I don't have a ps2 :( *cry* ", I bought it almost a year later though.
all i remember is that my friend who games less than i do rented it and told me how awesome it was.

pswii60

The majority of that figure was in the US. But here in Europe, the game was barely hyped or marketed. It just came and went. I can't speak for Japan. But I think Europe + Japan are you reason for the 'low' figure.

The problem with Sony is that SCEE-developed games are marketed well over here, but poorly (or don't come out at all) in the US. And vice versa (SCEA games marketed poorly over here). Hopefully now that they've 'merged' in to worldwide studios we can see more consistency throughout.

But it seems to me that historically they have been much too competitive with each other to a point where it damages their successes in a particular region.

Cdammen

Keio said:
I'm surprised by the claimed low Euro sales. Only 310 000?
Dunno if it was that low, but it's quite possible.

God of War was hard to find here in Sweden, just two months after it's release. There were some copies floating around but the demand was low and the stocks in retail were almost depleted so the game was pretty expensive at that time... until the Platinum (EU Greatest Hits) version came along.

(EDIT) The hype was non-existent, almost. There were some people talking about it on the message boards but that's about it.

Borys

Banned
Grayman said:
must be that the library is so large that sales really spread out amoung different players.

1 in 100 playstation players bought god of war
1 in 3(ish?) bought both halos for xbox.

nothing on playstation is that attached unless you count all the GTAs or all the maddens put together as a single title.

I bought GTAs, FF 10 & 10-2 and God of War. Why couldn't other?

Agent Icebeezy

pswii60 said:
The majority of that figure was in the US. But here in Europe, the game was barely hyped or marketed. It just came and went. I can't speak for Japan. But I think Europe + Japan are you reason for the 'low' figure.

The problem with Sony is that SCEE-developed games are marketed well over here, but poorly (or don't come out at all) in the US. And vice versa (SCEA games marketed poorly over here). Hopefully now that they've 'merged' in to worldwide studios we can see more consistency throughout.

But it seems to me that historically they have been much too competitive with each other to a point where it damages their successes in a particular region.

Like Heavenly Sword and God of War 2 within a month of each other for example?

gogogow

pswii60 said:
The majority of that figure was in the US.
Erm......that figure given by the OP is incorrect, it sold more than 1,7 million copies in US alone.

He said he checked the VGcharts himself, but I read 1,740,500 million in the US as of Nov 2006.

Tieno

gogogow said:
Erm......that figure given by the OP is incorrect, it sold more than 1,7 million copies in US alone.

He said he checked the VGcharts himself, but I read 1,740,500 million in the US as of Nov 2006.
I checked with the worldwide shipments, there it lists America as 1.3mil. Now that I checked with the specific NA totals it's at 1.7mil for that region.
That's a bit better though.

Kabouter said:
wazoo said:
looks too mature and hardcore

The older & mature audiences have largely migrated to the newer consoles. They tend to make up the early adopters . . . hence the popularity of bald space marines on x360.

pswii60

Agent Icebeezy said:
Like Heavenly Sword and God of War 2 within a month of each other for example?

Well, yes, I think HS will almost certainly steel GoW2's thunder, but I think in this particular case it's more a case of very bad planning.

Agent Icebeezy

pswii60 said:
Well, yes, I think HS will almost certainly steel GoW2's thunder, but I think in this particular case it's more a case of very bad planning.

other way around because I'd be willing to put money on it that God of War 2 is a better game, by a decent margin and Kratos is one of the best characters in recent history, that heroine doesn't have that magnetism to her.

Steroyd

Tokubetsu said:
I dont mean to sound like a xbot or anything but im really thinking if it was an x360 game, it would have sold considerably better.

It would have to be a shooter of some kind, and an online component to sell better on the Xbox...

Zen

Banned
I seem to remember (before gaf was cut off) that it was selling very well as a greatest hits. In fact factoring in the curve of slowdown, many people though it would break 2 million in America before God of War II came out.

and secondly, VGcharts isn't that accurate yet.

Grayman

Borys said:
I bought GTAs, FF 10 & 10-2 and God of War. Why couldn't other?
Well here at GAF we buy more games than people away from gaf. Even with your 4* games, there are probably 20 more strongly buyable games on the system that spread around what gamers not buying shit own.

Funny though, vice city was my only retail GTA, the other 2 i got from friends really cheap within a few months of launch.

edit: or 6 sorry, it still fits.

Fady K

I thought it wouldve sold more. The game lived up to the hype for me, it was a blast in every way. The only little gripe I had with it was that it wasnt as long as I had hoped - around 10 hours. But it was some of the best hours I have spent with an action game.

Bring on GOW2 :D

Is that 1.65 million for NA alone or WW? I could swear GoW sold well in Europe also.

Besides, GoW2 already is happening and looks fantastic, so this really isn't a case of a game not selling enough to justify a sequel.

pswii60

Agent Icebeezy said:
other way around

Either way, we won't know until they both hit.

But I doubt it in the UK. The week GoW was released over here (and the successive weeks) Juiced, Cricket 2005, Destroy all Humans and Medal of Honour were all outselling it every week.

Critically I think GoW2 may steal HS's thunder but commercially, HS will be pumping out amazing graphics on a new console platform, so the reality will be a little different.

Agent Icebeezy

Steroyd said:
It would have to be a shooter of some kind, and an online component to sell better on the Xbox...

Dead Rising is a 1 player game that has sold over 1 million copies. If a game can stand on its own merits, it will do so, no matter the platform

Grayman

About greatest hits and speeding up sales, maybe it didn't sell many more than 500k before going GH. more than doubling sales under greatest hits it pretty impressive isn't it?

herod

I remember in Europe there was zero hype outside game forums and dedicated console magazines. Sales are good in that context.

pswii60

herod said:
I remember in Europe there was zero hype outside game forums and dedicated console magazines. Sales are good in that context.

..and as I said earlier, you can thank SCEE for that.

Solid

since god of war is platinum over here it must have sold at least 500k since thats the limit to become platinum. but the thing is, god of war went platinum after just 4-6 months... so it must have sold really well rather quick?

cvxfreak

Solid said:
since god of war is platinum over here it must have sold at least 500k since thats the limit to become platinum. but the thing is, god of war went platinum after just 4-6 months... so it must have sold really well rather quick?

Isn't it a worldwide number? I have a hard time believing RE Outbreak's best region was Europe considering it was offline and out way late.

Solid

cvxfreak said:
Isn't it a worldwide number? I have a hard time believing RE Outbreak's best region was Europe considering it was offline and out way late.
i emailed SCEE about this some time ago. this was my answer.

Thank you for your recent email.

Platinum Games are released when they reach 500,000 sales*.

This is an honour bestowed on the best games that are true PlayStation®2 classics, no matter what type of games you enjoy, the Platinum range offers something for everyone.

* Based on sales in Europe and Australia

Regards,
PlayStation Support Centre

Telephone: 1-300-365-911
Email: support@playstation.com.au
Fax: (02) 9450 9011

Grayman

I'm pretty sure greatest hits is WW 500k. I know SOTC wasn't even there yet when it was announced as greatest hits but they figured it would make it there in the next month or right after being GH.

Tieno

Solid said:
no
US: March 22, 2005
Japan: November 17, 2005
Europe: July 8, 2005
I always hate that. ugh. Games of this calibur need simultaneous releases, they can feed off of each other's hype.

Grayman

Tieno said:
I always hate that. ugh. Games of this calibur need simultaneous releases, they can feed off of each other's hype.
it took 8 months to remove burning the captain alive. :lol

Top Bottom