• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't believe God of War "only" sold 2.5 million copies

Tieno

Grayman said:
it took 8 months to remove burning the captain alive. :lol
heheh :lol Too bad we didn't get that. I was still a bit disturbed by burning and sacrificing that creature but I wish it wasn't censored.
Lets hope GoW2 is region free. GOW3 will certainly be region free!

Borys

Banned
Grayman said:
it took 8 months to remove burning the captain alive. :lol

:lol

I remember watching some GoW speedrun on SpeedRun Archives and there was a human soldier in that cage in the Poseidon's Challenge. I was like WTF, I had a Zombie in there.

Anyway here's hoping GoW2 sells better!

democover.jpg

THE F*CKING GAME!

Mar

Coming from a person who didn't buy God of War. I can say that the reason it didn't appeal to me personaly. Was because it just looked like Devil May Cry with some extra paint. And I hated Devil May Cry. So I gave it a miss.

Did DMC do similar numbers? Is there a comparison to be made here? Or is my personal genre preferences just that. My own.

Grayman

xhadoukenx said:
Is there any way of calculating what the userbase of PS2 actually is?
in a way that no one can argue against it, no. way too many soft numbers in "userbase"

With the new systems all being heavy into online they can at least get close to a good number by collecting data on systems connecting but it won't be accurate unless systems connected is extremely close to systems sold at many times in the lifespan.

Grayman

bycha said:
For new franchise in less than 2 years these are very good numbers. God Of War 2 will do 3M+
Next gen. It would be encouraging to think it would do 3M but less people are out buying new ps2 games and the number will shrink every week for the rest of time. sequels late in a systems life sell less than they would deserve in ideal conditions.

For example GT1 and 3 smoked 2 and 4. metal gear 2 >>>> mgs3. vice city > SA as well i think.

gogogow

Martoo said:
Did DMC do similar numbers? Is there a comparison to be made here? Or is my personal genre preferences just that. My own.
No, none of the DMC titles did anything near this number of 1,74 million copies in US alone.

gogogow

Grayman said:
Next gen. It would be encouraging to think it would do 3M but less people are out buying new ps2 games and the number will shrink every week for the rest of time. sequels late in a systems life sell less than they would deserve in ideal conditions.

For example GT1 and 3 smoked 2 and 4. metal gear 2 >>>> mgs3. vice city > SA as well i think.

I think the problem is creating hype (for a last-gen/PS2 game, although a very good looking one) when the (PS3) next-gen systems are released.

It's a game that I bought, that I haven't seen since I completed it, ie. all my mates have borrowed it because it's quality, also see: Resident Evil 4, MGS 2+3, GTA 3 + vice city(they usually manage to buy san andreas)

I bet shipped right now is nearer 3m than 2m. This game has very good legs with platinum/greatest hits re-release, and will have another push when God of War II strikes, kinda like Kingdom Hearts bump when KH2 was released.

Steroyd

Grayman said:

Grand Theft Auto was the only franchise on the PS2 to consistently sell around the same number.

I don't know whether it was perceived as a sequel or not.

pswii60 said:
The majority of that figure was in the US. But here in Europe, the game was barely hyped or marketed. It just came and went. I can't speak for Japan. But I think Europe + Japan are you reason for the 'low' figure.

The problem with Sony is that SCEE-developed games are marketed well over here, but poorly (or don't come out at all) in the US. And vice versa (SCEA games marketed poorly over here). Hopefully now that they've 'merged' in to worldwide studios we can see more consistency throughout.

But it seems to me that historically they have been much too competitive with each other to a point where it damages their successes in a particular region.
Yeah, that seems to be the case. SCEA own games (under their NA studios) are marketed extremely well where I'm constantly seeing TV ads for them. Many SCEE games don't come stateside at all or other publishers pick them up. I really do hope with SCE WW, they don't try to compete with one another and try to hype each of their games, that deserve it.

100+ million PS2 out there... 1 million units means 1 out of 100 people in a crowd will raise their hand saying they bought it.
It puts things a little bit in perspective...

The cover art was too generic looking. It really doesn't stand out amongst the thousands of quality PS2 games available, even though GOW1 was one of the top 5 games on the PS2.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I still haven't played this game.....didn't have a PS2 anymore once it came out. I suppose I should buy it now for the PS3....

soulzen

Hmm, I thought the numbers would have been higher. Everyone I know bought the game when it came out, of course I am in NA.

Anyways, its one of the best games ever made, not just on the PS2. Cant wait for GoW2, its an instabuy. Hopefully sales pickup for it so a followup is made on the PS3.

ram

Keio said:
I'm surprised by the claimed low Euro sales. Only 310 000?

and that is plain wrong - god of war has already platinum (greatest hits) status in europe too, which it could only get, if it sells more than 500.000 units.

Keesie

well the game went platinum here ( The Netherlands) in about 4/5 months ... so I guess it is a successful game here...

Tieno said:
the accessibility,

I will disagree with this and say that this could be one of the reasons for it not selling as much as you expected it to. The game gets brutally hard and frustrating in some parts, which to alot of the mainstreamers is a turn off. Now I'm not saying they should make it easier to get more sales as I think 1.6 mil is pretty damn good in general and they should be happy with it.

I'll give you everything else you said about the game except for that. That said though I can not wait for number 2.

jmdajr

I'm surprised it even sold that much in this day and age considering its not a FPS,
Sport game, or GTA clone...

I'm impressed

the marketing wasn't strong for this game, I didn't hear about until my friends bought it.

I bought the game ONE month later on the same day as the PSP launch day.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Some of it probably has to do with the fact that Sony thought charging a premium price was a good idea to get a new IP off the ground (It came out at $50, rather than the $40 that every first-party game but Gran Turismo debuts for). That, added with it being a short game with very little replay value... I'm not surprised that many people held off initially.

Preemptive counterpoint to anyone about to say "b-b-but Gears of War"... Gears has multiplayer, you twits.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Luke should have ask that question to Jaffe in is interview do you think God of war would have done better on xbox? since new ip like Gears already sold 3M copies on the 360.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So now 1.65 million is a flop? Even if the number is wrong, 1.65 million is good.

:lol :lol :lol

Tieno

OverHeat said:
Luke should have ask that question to Jaffe in is interview do you think God of war would have done better on xbox? since new ip like Gears already sold 3M copies on the 360.
Better question would be: do you think God of War would have sold better with a world wide release and better marketting in Europe?

mckmas8808 said:
So now 1.65 million is a flop? Even if the number is wrong, 1.65 million is good.

:lol :lol :lol
Where did I say that?

mckmas8808

So now we are going to compare the sales of Gears of War to God of War?

:lol

Come on GAF, you're better than that.

Wow since this thread was made just earier today GoW sales have gone through the roof!:lol

Well done and thanks to those 900,000 people who just bought it! ;)

Tieno

mckmas8808 said:
I wasn't directing that at you.
Ah, ok. Cause I don't want to give off that impression.

Anyway, the numbers were wrong so it doesn't matter that much anymore. It'd still like to know what the total European number is.

mckmas8808

HocusPocus said:
I thought it was a good fun game, but like most titles here. You guys blow things way out proportion. :)

What does a good game have to do with its sales? Do you think Ninja Giden was a good game?

Do you think Shadow of the Colossus was a good game? What about Okami?

Borys

Banned
People comparing God of War sales to Gears sales should really get a fucking clue:

1) Gears is the first Halo killer that did it.
2) Gears is the "new" Halo.
3) Gears has probably 10 times more expensive marketing.
4) Gears has Microsoft behind it, Micro-****ing-soft, with Bill Gates!
5) Gears is the first "I'm a bad-boy bald space marine" game on the "bald, sci-fi marines ENTER HERE" platform.
6) Gears has virtually no competition (PD:0? :lol) on the 360 while GoW had DMC.
7) Millions of XBox fans waited for Gears, thousands of PS fans waited for Kratos.

Tieno

Borys said:
People comparing God of War sales to Gears sales should really get a fucking clue:

5) Gears is the first "I'm a bad-boy bald space marine" game on the "bald, sci-fi marines ENTER HERE" platform.
6) Gears has virtually no competition (PD:0? :lol) on the 360 while GoW had DMC.
7) Millions of XBox fans waited for Gears, thousands of PS fans waited for Kratos.
Lets not do that. It's a stupid comparission.

szaromir

Banned
Borys said:
1)no it didn't. in fact it didn't have ambition to be a Halo-killer.
2)no it's not
3)maybe
4)...
5)IIRC only Kratos is a bad-boy baldie unlike Marcus
6)R6Vegas?, CoD3?
7)it's Sony's own fault to be unable to hype their big games

Borys said:

image1c16d928-5cb8-4ff0-b005-6d6f2020fe4c.jpg

Top Bottom