• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: DmC "posted solid sales", Capcom still using outsourcing

It would make sense that is possible Capcom is already working with Ninja Theory on a second game so they have to save face in front of investors?

Hard to believe that SE Eidos games didn't even broke even and DmC had solid sales...

Endo Punk

That's ok. DMC was always a shit series to me. I only ever liked the first one and rest had awful characters including the cringeworthy DmC cast. Fuck it all, Revengeance FTW!

Peace. Im out.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So is DmC really better than Metal Gear Rising?

Depends. DmC is far, far more accessible and doesn't have the "what the fuck is this" weird shit that Rising has. If you love games like Bayonetta, you'll probably enjoy Rising more - but if you're not GREAT at games like that, DmC really does some brilliant onboarding to get you competent and more understanding how to manage your environment.

And of course the art direction is universes better than Rising's.

MechaX

Game gets a rather divisive reaction, gaming press not-withstanding, and sells less than other titles in the series by a significant margin. Capcom still insinuates that DmC did "solid."

Well, I can see why people like the NT remake. Unfortunately, if this means DmC2 is coming, I'm getting off of this train right now.

At least Capcom still has Dragon's Dogma (even though Dark Arisen was some UMvC3-level highway robbery).

Depends. DmC is far, far more accessible and doesn't have the "what the fuck is this" weird shit that Rising has. If you love games like Bayonetta, you'll probably enjoy Rising more - but if you're not GREAT at games like that, DmC really does some brilliant onboarding to get you competent and more understanding how to manage your environment.

What exactly is this "weird shit"? Are we talking in terms of gameplay? In a story context (lol action game stories), DmC has lots of weird, borderline offensive shit.

kurahador

That's ok. DMC was always a shit series to me. I only ever liked the first one and rest had awful characters including the cringeworthy DmC cast. Fuck it all, Revengeance FTW!

Peace. Im out.

lol DMC was alot more cringeworthy.

"I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with LIGHT!!"
"Devil Never Cry"

So is DmC really better than Metal Gear Rising?

IMO......yeah. I love Platinum but Rising (at least on normal) feels very button mashy and largely hasn't kept my attention the way DmC did. I was really looking forward to it but I'm having a hard time even turning it back on to finish it. That's not to say DmC is perfect. The older one's definitely have the edge when it comes to combat though I think the story/characters are a lot more interesting in the new one.

EDIT:

Ehhh, I LOVED Bayonetta and I still enjoyed DmC over Rising.

also got to take to note that DmC is an unreplayable game due to horrifically dull bosses and mind numbing platforming taking up a lot of the playtime

mgr is effectively nonestop combat (or optional stealth) scenario one after another making your repeated playthroughs through the higher difficulties more enjoyable

MechaX

I know you're trying to add legitimacy to your post by claiming that reviews agree, but that actually detracts from your statement for me.

Reviews are absolutely useless in the fighting game, action game (like this one at least), and sports simulation (think Football Manager) genres. So yeah, that detracts from his statement for me too.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
tumblr_ls0e5g1oWn1qjkv09o1_500.gif

sigh

Korigama

Why? They are being harsh to all their other projects.
Believing they actually learned anything was much too optimistic. For as far as they went to bury the old series, it's not surprising that they're still clinging to this.
lol DMC was alot more cringeworthy.

"I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with LIGHT!!"
"Devil Never Cry"
It's pitiful every time people act as though DMC1 was regarded as well-written to downplay the fact that DmC was far worse for its own reasons.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
And here people thought DMC5 was going to be a sure thing.

I was cautiously optimistic and hoping Capcom would give me a reason to care about the series again. Looks like they're dead set on ruining it alongside all of their other heavyhitting franchises.

I was cautiously optimistic and hoping Capcom would give me a reason to care about the series again. Looks like they're dead set on ruining it alongside all of their other heavyhitting franchises.

What are the guys who did DMC4 even doing? Are they just merged to some general RE/DD team?

Shinta

Banned
DMC turned out so much better than I expected. It's a fantastic game. I'm still glad that they're doing more in house stuff, but DMC turned out well.

I also think it's the best DMC. It's not the best Dante, but it's the best overall game. Some elements are better in earlier entries, but as a whole, DMC is the best.

Jawmuncher

Yeah I just try to take everything in stride these days with capcom. As you have noticed it doesn't work out very well most of the time.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What are the guys who did DMC4 even doing? Are they just merged to some general RE/DD team?

No, they didn't merge, they were the predominant team on Dragon's Dogma. Right now, they're presumably working on deep down (Dragon's Dogma 2), but it's not 100% certain.

I'll admit that I enjoyed DmC more than Revengence. Noyt saying it is a better game or not but I have enjoyed it more for sure...still haven;t beaten Revengence lol.

It does suck that it seems like we will never get another "true" DMC game again tho/ I missed the cray.

However, they if they fix the dumb only kill wuith specific weapons shit and make the bosses not ass sauce then I'll on board. The first one was really fun when it allowed you to just gop ham with your entire arsenal...but it didn't do that all the time and by the end some fights were a chore.

Of course I;d rather get a DMC5. Dragons Dogma and DMC4 are some of my favorite games this gen...both made by virtually the same team.

Hystzen

Find it interesting people go on about DmC being best DMC then be in other threads moaning when a game is dumbed down or streamlined.

DmC has potential for a solid sequel if they actually bother to try and improve or take advice from Itsuno's group to push the game further unfortunately I don't see it happening

danmaku

Looks like DmC became a slow burner, maybe more people gave it a chance after retailers dropped the price (did they?) or because they found it used. I'm curious about the role of PC sales in the equation; PC doesn't have a lot of action games and PC gamers weren't distracted by Rising and Ninja Gaiden 3 RE.

sleepykyo

Why? They are being harsh to all their other projects.

Crazy tinfoil: Inafune wasn't the only one that wanted DMC westernized and plenty of executives wanted NT to succeed. DmC is simply too important politically and strategically within Capcom to fail.

Bruno MB

¿Solid sales? lol

Well, this is the company that green-lighted Lost Planet 3 after Lost Planet 2 failed hard to miss its sales target. They somehow managed to ship 1.6 million units, it took ages to clear that shipment out. At one point, Capcom expected it to sell 3.7 million units, that figure would latter be adjusted down.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
¿Solid sales? lol

Well, this is the company that green-lighted Lost Planet 3 after Lost Planet 2 failed hard to miss its sales target. They somehow manged to ship 1.6 million units, it took ages to clear that shipment out. At one point, Capcom expected it to sell 3.7 million units, that figure would latter be adjusted down

I still don't understand what the heck they're doing with Lost Planet. I loved LP2 but it ain't a cash cow.

Top Bottom