• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: DmC "posted solid sales", Capcom still using outsourcing

Shinta

Banned
It does suck that it seems like we will never get another "true" DMC game again tho/ I missed the cray.
Itsuno made 3 DMC titles. I'd rather see him work on something new, like Dragon's Dogma and Deep Down.

Kamiya made the first DMC, and Bayonetta. And now we're getting a Bayonetta 2.

That's a lot of "DMC" games already. Let Ninja Theory have it. They did a pretty good job.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I should try DD one of these days. Apparently the new release includes the original game.

It's not really a new release. It's an "Ultimate" or "Turbo" or "GOTY" version of Dragon's Dogma that includes a new expansion. It's definitely what you should pick up instead of the vanilla release.

That's a lot of "DMC" games already. Let Ninja Theory have it. They did a pretty good job.

No. Bayonetta isn't DMC. They're different enough to both scratch a particular itch.

God fucking dammit. No hope for developing both series, CoD style? But then, they have heavily invested themselves in this stain on the franchise, so I doubt they'd ever go back to the old series.

Sleep Vergil. You earned your rest.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Find it interesting people go on about DmC being best DMC then be in other threads moaning when a game is dumbed down or streamlined.

DmC has potential for a solid sequel if they actually bother to try and improve or take advice from Itsuno's group to push the game further unfortunately I don't see it happening

Itsuno actually gave tips to NT for the combat. I believe you can find that browsing google (on ipod so not doing it here) also DMC team was working on Dragon's Dogma and mentioned something about already peaking DMC so they rather let a new team Internal or outsourced to bring a new live and improvements to the series.

So DMC team had no interest and rather give tips to the new team handling the game and work on Dragon's Dogma? Okay by me I enjoyed both games (they need more polish but the core its a strong one but needs fleshing out more)

Itsuno made 3 DMC titles. I'd rather see him work on something new, like Dragon's Dogma and Deep Down.

Kamiya made the first DMC, and Bayonetta. And now we're getting a Bayonetta 2.

That's the problem: they didn't do a good job. In this instance, we are comparing DmC to the likes of the previous games in order to see if it stacks up.

It regressed in depth.

With that, I don't think they did a good job, because the gameplay didn't advance. More platforming and more (read:shitter) story doesn't make it an advancement.

Shinta

Banned
That's the problem: they didn't do a good job. In this instance, we are comparing DmC to the likes of the previous games in order to see if it stacks up.

It regressed in depth.

With that, I don't think they did a good job, because the gameplay didn't advance. More platforming and more (read:shitter) story doesn't make it an advancement.

If it was called anything but DMC, it would be on every action gamer's must play list for this year. Without a doubt.

The environmental transformations, platforming, and story are far better than they've been in the past. The OST is pretty good. The combat is definitely good. Maybe not the best in the series, but this is no Ninja Gaiden 3 we're talking about here. It's a solid action game. Miles ahead of anything Ninja Theory did in the past.

Itsuno actually gave tips to NT for the combat. I believe you can find that browsing google (on ipod so not doing it here) also DMC team was working on Dragon's Dogma and mentioned something about already peaking DMC so they rather let a new team Internal or outsourced to bring a new live and improvements to the series.

So DMC team had no interest and rather give tips to the new team handling the game and work on Dragon's Dogma? Okay by me I enjoyed both games (they need more polish but the core its a strong one but needs fleshing out more)

i dont believe they just "gave tips", there was an article floating around where it sounded like they had absolutely no clue what they were doing combat wise before itsuno and co stepped in to help.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If it was called anything but DMC, it would be on every action gamer's must play list for this year. Without a doubt.

I don't agree, but for the sake of argument...

guess what? It was called DmC. It has a legacy. The game should be evaluated within that scope. If it were a new IP, then you can look at it in a bubble.

Hah no. Rising is still my GOTY. It's a phenomenal action game.

Easily my GOTY as well so far.

They're actually pretending that DmC was a commercial success and that DD's sales in Japan alone are enough to make it a success?

That's some chutzpah there.

Vazra

It regressed in depth.

Well its a new team so sure they wont get all things right off the bat.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
DmC is a good game and a good product; better than anything else Ninja Theory has made by a longshot. (Story and characters are probably not as good as Enslaved, but as a game it's far superior.)

After finishing it, I think my sole criticism is that it shouldn't have been turned into a reboot with new continuity. I got the impression it was being considered as a true prequel early on, with those lost cut scenes involving "Limbo City" trying to convince young Dante he wasn't himself. That could have been an interesting storyline. That also would have accounted for the stylistic differences - Dante is literally out of his head and perceiving reality differently.

But otherwise I liked it.

Monocle

From 5 million sales anticipated, to 2 million sales projected, to "solid sales." Keep moving those goal posts Capcom. It's easier than acknowledging you made a mistake

So is DmC really better than Metal Gear Rising?
Not by a long shot. DmC is a solid-ish action game. Metal Gear Rising is an action game made by Platinum. Nothing more need be said.

i dont believe they just "gave tips", there was an article floating around where it sounded like they had absolutely no clue what they were doing combat wise before itsuno and co stepped in to help.
If I remember correctly every single animation was redone when itsuno finished DD and looked over DmC.

Well its a new team so sure they wont get all things right off the bat.

That's the worst excuse I've heard today.

You have a model for one of the best action series right in front of you, and then you deny that in favor of hurrdurr shakespearz story?

Let's be honest here. They didn't try to get anything right in terms of what DMC was.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Honestly, I think that DmC is their best attempt at outsourcing, so they're calling it "solid" in order to not make it seem like their endeavors were a complete wash the last half of the generation. It doesn't look good to investors when every one of your attempts fail in a huge intiative like Capcom's Westernization.

Best situation indeed would be if Capcom just had 2 separate DMC series going on to keep everyone happy but thats not gonna happen.

I get hate for (REALLY) liking DmC but I don't really care if the next game was DmC or DMC. Usually it seems to be the hardcore fans who really don't like DmC. I'm certainly a DMC fan since the first game from day 1 (my favourite of the old ones) and have completed every game multiple times, even DMC2 that is not exactly a great game. All I just want is the series to continue in some form and having fun killing demons and shit and I'd really like to see DmC2 since if they can improve on the first game it would prolly be absolutely amazing game for me.

Vazra

They were working on it but since they are not strong on action heavy games they used help from Itsuno and co to guide them to do the combat and "enlighted them" into things of how to see that kind of games since they are mostly "story focused". I see nothing wrong and while DmC lacks depth that other games had it has a good core to expand and improve. Considering coming from Enslave(ugh) to this its a leap.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Ohhhh man I REALLY hope there's a sequel! This is such great news.

What a really interesting and fun game. The visuals were so diverse and it had some ridiculous boss battles which were great. The combat was super fluid and dynamic, they did a lot right with DmC.

Monocle

The environmental transformations, platforming, and story are far better than they've been in the past. The OST is pretty good. The combat is definitely good. Maybe not the best in the series, but this is no Ninja Gaiden 3 we're talking about here. It's a solid action game. Miles ahead of anything Ninja Theory did in the past.
Actually people would probably say "This is just a shitty ripoff of Devil May Cry." It's hard to imagine, I know, but I think there would be even less sympathy for Ninja Theory's inexperience with action game development if DmC weren't explicitly related to a known brand. Gamers can be pretty brutal when there are superior alternatives. With DmC, Ninja Theory at least had the excuse that they were hired to do a revamp that emphasized plot, presentation, and environmental interaction over combat.

I do think that if it was called Angel May Weep people would have went into it with altered expectations.

It had a lot to live up to..and by that measure it wasn't successful. I'd rank the other 2 games from the series above it (3 and 4).

BUT

It was fun and at the moment my console GOTY.

I found it to be fun...that's why I play games. Not eveyrthing is going to be a classic or better than the last. Sunshine was hella worse than 64 but I still enjoyed it..it was fun. Brawl wasn't as good as Melee..but it was fun.

If you didn't find it fun for whatever reason cool. I can see how as you probably want different things out of a game. With DMC I think, that the hardcore dudes wanted the combo and high challenge and such...while other may just enjoy the ride and go from there. The past games kinda got both of those groups (I'd argue that DMC3 initial difficulty probably scared a lot of dudes away lol), this game seemingly focused on the latter.

I think that NT has a good base to work off of. The combat when you actually got to use everything was fun. They need more of the free for all stuff and less of the use dis weapon only stuff..but without making it button mashy. Better bosses too. I think they can give us a great great game based off of what they have here.

I'd also selfishly want Itsuno to go back too lol. But if he's done with it, then who else would take it? What's to say a internally developed game wouldn't be worse than DmC? If Itsuno is done and doesn't want to simply be the DMC guy then I have no problem with DmC2 being the way.

Hated all the other DMC games except this one. Good to know it's getting a sequel since it's finally going into a direction I like.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ohhhh man I REALLY hope there's a sequel! This is such great news.

What a really interesting and fun game. The visuals were so diverse and it had some ridiculous boss battles which were great. The combat was super fluid and dynamic, they did a lot right with DmC.

Yeah, the only downside on the boss battles were the mechanics. The designs and presentation were absolutely top notch and seeing the bosses for the first time was awesome, before the "oh, this IS pretty simple" kicked in later.

Then again DMC1-4 had some pretty simplistic bosses from a mechanical perspective as well, but there were some seriously standouts as well.

I don't wanna pick on DMC2 because those bosses were :lol

Shinta

Banned
Actually people would probably say "This is just a shitty ripoff of Devil May Cry." It's hard to imagine, I know, but I think there would be even less sympathy for Ninja Theory's inexperience with action game development if DmC weren't explicitly related to a known brand. Gamers can be pretty brutal when there are superior alternatives.

No lol. Anyone turning on a new IP from Ninja Theory, running through environments that looked that crazy, with the art style in limbo, with the transforming elements, the platforming, the weapon switching, the juggle options, and the higher difficulty levels, the fantastic bosses ... they would be totally into it.

You guys are really wrong on this one. The game is pretty great. You're letting the title on the box blind you to a great game. I don't get it honestly. I've played the series since the first one too. I don't know why some people just get stuck in the past. Even the creators are ready to move on and experiment with new approaches.

rjc571

Banned
Didn't they also say that RE Revelaitons had "solid sales" on the 3DS even though it totally bombed and led them to divert resources away from 3DS development?

Best situation indeed would be if Capcom just had 2 separate DMC series going on to keep everyone happy but thats not gonna happen.

I get hate for (REALLY) liking DmC but I don't really care if the next game was DmC or DMC. Usually it seems to be the hardcore fans who really don't like DmC. I'm certainly a DMC fan since the first game from day 1 (my favourite of the old ones) and have completed every game multiple times, even DMC2 that is not exactly a great game. All I just want is the series to continue in some form and having fun killing demons and shit and I'd really like to see DmC2 since if they can improve on the first game it would prolly be absolutely amazing game for me.

Pretty much.

I'd rather have this than nothing at all.

Capcom has shown the ability to kill shit off.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
No lol. Anyone turning on a new IP from Ninja Theory, running through environments that looked that crazy, with the art style in limbo, with the transforming elements, the platforming, the weapon switching, the juggle options, and the higher difficulty levels, the fantastic bosses ... they would be totally into it.

You guys are really wrong on this one. The game is pretty great. You're letting the title on the box blind you to a great game. I don't get it honestly. I've played the series since the first one too. I don't know why some people just get stuck in the past. Even the creators are ready to move on and experiment with new approaches.

It didn't blind me. I played the shit out of DmC. I'm just able to recognize the deep flaws with the game despite the pretty colors.

DmC is a good game and a good product; better than anything else Ninja Theory has made by a longshot. (Story and characters are probably not as good as Enslaved, but as a game it's far superior.)

After finishing it, I think my sole criticism is that it shouldn't have been turned into a reboot with new continuity. I got the impression it was being considered as a true prequel early on, with those lost cut scenes involving "Limbo City" trying to convince young Dante he wasn't himself. That could have been an interesting storyline. That also would have accounted for the stylistic differences - Dante is literally out of his head and perceiving reality differently.

But otherwise I liked it.
umm. It was. Nothing about this game fits in to the continuity of the old ones.
EDIT: Reading fail on my part. Though I disagree.

Top Bottom