• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom files trademark for "Monster Hunter: World" in U.S

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaioshade

The US really feels like an afterthought when it comes to MH. When other companies can do worldwide releases, its pretty just Capcom giving the finger to territories outside of Japan. Yes we get the games eventually, but it still just feels like "whatever, here" from them.

Again, why does Sony have to worry about Xbox One? In Japan, they're a non-factor. In Europe, they have that market in the bag. In America it's more of a fight, but with everything else all totaled, they don't have anything to worry about. So it wouldn't matter to them at all if the game came out on the Xbox One.

I don't think that Sony paid for exclusivity and more for inclusion and exclusion. So they want a Monster Hunter on the PS4, they want a console Monster Hunter on their own in Japan. If they exclude the NS, they'll have it all to themselves in Japan. Games most likely sell more on the PS4 worldwide, so they don't have to worry about that, either. So Capcom is going to make a console HD Monster Hunter that Sony will have exclusively in Japan.

Now as to why it would be Westernized, I think there's something to be said about this. History says that traditional console Monster Hunter doesn't do as well in Japan. So changing up the formula and adding something different that may appeal to Japan, but also appeal to the Western audiences is good for Sony and good for Capcom. If the game bombs, then Capcom can fall back on traditional Monster Hunter on the NS. The thing is, I think Capcom wouldn't give Sony an exclusive on Monster Hunter. They wouldn't be silly enough to do that, but Sony paying to have a HD Monster Hunter only on their platform in Japan would be the next best thing.

whaaa_dean_supernatural.gif

The rumor literally says they paid big for exclusivity...

As for the rest of your post, dude, Xbox is a factor for Sony. I have no idea where your getting this notion that Sony is going to start ignoring them because they're in the lead. It's incompatible with what Sony has been doing up until this point.

EDarkness

The US really feels like an afterthought when it comes to MH. When other companies can do worldwide releases, its pretty just Capcom giving the finger to territories outside of Japan. Yes we get the games eventually, but it still just feels like "whatever, here" from them.

I agree. I honestly hope they do release Monster Hunter XX on the NS and 3DS simultaneously around the world rather than waiting 6 to 8 months to localize it.

The rumor literally says they paid big for exclusivity...

As for the rest of your post, dude, Xbox is a factor for Sony. I have no idea where your getting this notion that Sony is going to start ignoring them because they're in the lead. It's incompatible with what Sony has been doing up until this point.

Wait, which rumor are we talking about? The one I saw made no mention of the game being exclusive to the PS4.

My reasoning with the Xbox One is that it's a Japanese focused game that wouldn't come out in Japan and would most likely sell most on the PS4 anyway. Why throw money at that? I think it really depends on the game, but in this case, I don't think they'd worry about it.

Kinsei

Banned
the rumor is logically incoherent because they say its a western type game but its not on switch because nintendo needs to get excluded.... like what?

I seriously doubt its the localization that takes them so long. the game isn't that text heavy. they probably hesitated a lot if they want to go for it.

You kidding? MH games have a ton of text.

Most Japanese companies do not do worldwide releases. Capcom is not a big company anymore, not compared to Square Enix or Bandai Namco. Monster Hunter is also way more popular in the Japan than it is in the west, yet they've still been steadily growing the audience over here. Keep your expectations realistic.

Thoraxes

That's under the assumption that localization began right when the 3DS version released in Japan, too. In all likelihood, it began even earlier than that, since I imagine that both the 3DS and Switch versions will release alongside each other in the west.
Yeah, and they've talked about localizing things still in production as outlined in their AA localization blogs.

Kyoufu

the rumor is logically incoherent because they say its a western type game but its not on switch because nintendo needs to get excluded.... like what?

I seriously doubt its the localization that takes them so long. the game isn't that text heavy. they probably hesitated a lot if they want to go for it.

I'm guessing you haven't played Monster Hunter lately because Generations has a ton of text.

Ryuuga

Banned
Why would this be "fan fiction"? I'm only looking at the validity of the rumors and how it could have ended up the way it has...if we're going to believe the rumors to be true.

It's all nonsense. As you suggested MH doesn't do as well on home consoles, why then would Sony be desperate for Japan considering the aforementioned? Even if they were to somehow magically create an MH title that has international appeal, it's still on home consoles. I think the "desperation for Japan" aspect of the rumor is just editoralizing on behalf of the poster or whomever shared that information with him. If Sony truly wanted that Japan guap they shouldve considered locking MH to Vita before 3DS blew up.

Sorry for asking this when its probably already been asked, but there's a lot of posts at this point. Is there an argument out there for this not being the western name for Monster Hunter XX?

Ridley327

Sorry for asking this when its probably already been asked, but there's a lot of posts at this point. Is there an argument out there for this not being the western name for Monster Hunter XX?

Monster Hunter X was localized as Monster Hunter Generations. Going by how they've named the G revisions in the west, the most logical name for MHXX in the west is Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate.

Zedark

It would be rather weird, since MHX (the game before it) got localised as Monster Hunter Generations. You would except something like Monster Hunter Generations 2 (MHG Ultimate) for the localised name, not a completely out-of-the-blue name like Monster Hunter World.

Then again, perhaps there is an explanation for the name contained in the game itself. Maybe someone who played the 3DS version could say if anything in MHXX is different from MHX to allow thematically for this new name to make sense?

EDarkness

It's all nonsense. As you suggested MH doesn't do as well on home consoles, why then would Sony be desperate for Japan considering the aforementioned? Even if they were to somehow magically create an MH title that has international appeal, it's still on home consoles. I think the "desperation for Japan" aspect of the rumor is just editoralizing on behalf of the poster or whomever shared that information with him. If Sony truly wanted that Japan guap they shouldve considered locking MH to Vita before 3DS blew up.

I agree. However, I recognize that things change. I remember my students in Japan saying that the PS4 was going to be extremely popular before it was released. That's all they talked about back then. Quite a few of them were upset that America got it first. We know the reality of it now, but I think fans thought the situation would be different there. Maybe even Sony expected the same. It's years later, so maybe they changed how they want to deal with Japan as it's one of the few markets they aren't dominating in. Even their statement recently about having more Japanese games seems to tie into the idea that they want to "take back" Japan and Japanese games.

I admit this is just a thought of mine, but that's one part of the rumor I can see them trying to shore up. However, getting an exclusive Monster Hunter game on a console would be hard as I doubt Capcom would give up the portable game just to have an exclusive game for Sony.

Fiendcode

Monster Hunter X was localized as Monster Hunter Generations. Going by how they've named the G revisions in the west, the most logical name for MHXX in the west is Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate.
I still would rather it be Generations Unite. Sounds better and we have some continuity with it being from the PSP team.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Monster Hunter Generations Unite

Ridley327

I still would rather it be Generations Unite. Sounds better and we have some continuity with it being from the PSP team.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Monster Hunter Generations Unite

No one localizing this is going to give two craps about the team that made it. Ultimate is the G revision brand in the west.

Peru

They struggled moving MH to the west initially, but after teaming up with Nintendo spent more time on localisation and launch, promotion, and the results were very positive.

Which I don't understand why because we've had Monster Hunter since the beginning. I mean, I would get it if we got Monster Hunter starting with Tri or something as new. MH is a million seller here anyway, isn't it? If it only sold thousands, I don't think it'd be worth localizing.

Fiendcode

No one localizing this is going to give two craps about the team that made it. Ultimate is the G revision brand in the west.
Freedom Unite was the first G revision we got. Generations Unite just sounds better I think and it's a good literal description of the game too. It'd be neat, that's all.

Ridley327

They struggled moving MH to the west initially, but after teaming up with Nintendo spent more time on localisation and launch, promotion, and the results were very positive.

It's in a much better place now than it was in the previous decade, where they straight up skipped over the second generation on consoles in the west after how badly the first game flopped. I would certainly prefer simultaneous worldwide releases myself, but there's a healthy and receptive fanbase for the series now, so they've made tremendous strides.

Ridley327

This indeed true. Bad name but true

Monster Hunter subtitles tend to be on the completely nonsensical side in Japan. MH2 is supposed to be read as Monster Hunter Dos, MH3 is read as Monster Hunter Tri, there's Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, and we have MHXX that's read as Double Cross. Generations Ultimate would be boring, sure, but at least it makes some damn sense.

I want to see Console, AAA Monster Hunter. I dont care about exclusivity. Personally I say put it on everything.

Also I think a MonHun being announced at a Xbox show would be hilarious and I would want it to happen just for the head scratching. Super Japanese multiplat games at Xbox shows always just seem like the awkward person standing quietly in the corner at the party to me. Its nice you are here but if you where not here no one would notice.

If this is the game Itsuno has been working on, and it's basically Dragon's Dogma x Monster Hunter, then I'm absolutely on board. I wonder if they'll attempt to adapt DD's pawn system to this in some way?

I'm not sure why there are so many naysayers either, given that traditional MH will always be around as long as it stays popular in Japan.

Fiendcode

Which I don't understand why because we've had Monster Hunter since the beginning. I mean, I would get it if we got Monster Hunter starting with Tri or something as new. MH is a million seller here anyway, isn't it? If it only sold thousands, I don't think it'd be worth localizing.
3U is probably over million by now (700k+ 3DS + 300k+ Wii U) and 4U did 1.5m in the west. Tri and Generations were each just under a million at around 800k and 900k respectively.

It makes me a little curious how much higher Capcom thinks a high budget PS4/XB1/PC Monster Hunter would do in the west?

Ryuuga

Banned
I want to see Console, AAA Monster Hunter. I dont care about exclusivity. Personally I say put it on everything.

Also I think a MonHun being announced at a Xbox show would be hilarious and I would want it to happen just for the head scratching. Super Japanese multiplat games at Xbox shows always just seem like the awkward person standing quietly in the corner at the party to me. Its nice you are here but if you where not here no one would notice.

If it does show up at the MS presser I hope it's the show opener/ender just for maximum confusion.

I agree. I honestly hope they do release Monster Hunter XX on the NS and 3DS simultaneously around the world rather than waiting 6 to 8 months to localize it.

Wait, which rumor are we talking about? The one I saw made no mention of the game being exclusive to the PS4.

My reasoning with the Xbox One is that it's a Japanese focused game that wouldn't come out in Japan and would most likely sell most on the PS4 anyway. Why throw money at that? I think it really depends on the game, but in this case, I don't think they'd worry about it.

The 4chan one.

A western focused MH is paid off by Sony to keep from going to Switch. Meanwhile, Sony is fine with their biggest western competitor getting the game.

Right.

MoonFrog

Capcom does strike me as being "wait and see" on the Switch. Less so after XX was announced but still...I could totally see Capcom seeing the PS4's success, eying the future of portables in Japan with distrust, and thinking of how to reimagine MH for a future with these considerations in mind.

I mean, Nintendo portables are being squeezed between the thought that mobile is the future and the thought that the west is the only future on consoles. I wouldn't be surprised at all if MH tested out a new future on western-oriented stationary consoles, even if it seems it will also, in the end, try and make the transition to Switch too.

NSESN

Capcom does strike me as being "wait and see" on the Switch. Less so after XX was announced but still...I could totally see Capcom seeing the PS4's success, eying the future of portables in Japan with distrust, and thinking of how to reimagine MH for a future with these considerations in mind.

I mean, Nintendo portables are being squeezed between the thought that mobile is the future and the thought that the west is the only future on consoles. I wouldn't be surprised at all if MH tested out a new future on western-oriented stationary consoles, even if it seems it will also, in the end, try and make the transition to Switch too.

3DS is the 3rd highest selling platform in japan, and is still selling on par with PS4 after 6 years. If they eyed the future of handhelds in Japan with distrust then they are really dumb.

I prefer my action games to be based on skill instead of stats.

You can get pretty far in DD by utilizing the environment and random throwable weapons lying around.

One of the key early encounters most players will struggle with is clearing the Ogres from the mine that links the Northern and Southern portions of the map. The player is probably around level 15 at this point, and brute-forcing these enemies is almost impossible at that stage of the game.

Thing is, the mine is littered with useful items for inflicting status effects and dealing damage. Oil/water urns that make elemental attacks deal major damage, skulls that curse the Ogres to lower their stats, poison flasks to deal damage over time, explosive barrels to deal moderate damage and stagger them, etc. The game rewards ingenuity and skill as much as it rewards stats up until the endgame, at which point most classes have an overpowered technique or two that works on everything.

I like MH a lot, but it's basically a fighting game with a few conditional items (that you have to constantly waste time restocking) and RNG-based character growth. I can't think of another major franchise that requires as much time to improve your stats as MH does, the grind is baffling.

3DS is the 3rd highest selling platform in japan, and is still selling on par with PS4 after 6 years. If they eyed the future of handhelds in Japan with distrust then they are really dumb.

Switch is much more expensive than 3DS and WIIU flopped . I understand why they was worried.

I'm guessing you haven't played Monster Hunter lately because Generations has a ton of text.

i skipped it :p

on a more serious note, yes it has a ton of text but nowhere near games like DQ, Personao, Xenoblade or FF where I could see localization taking a lot of time and effort. id say its similar to pokemon maybe.. probably less

MoonFrog

Well, I'm going off comments from them and other developers as well as third party support being weaker on 3DS compared to DS.

There is decreased interest in it from third parties in the 3DS era. There are comments from core partners that have been quite cagey about Switch. There is flight to mobile. There is the age-old strategy of courting the west (which has been operative since the NES came here to varying extents).

I don't think this kind of thinking should be surprising from a Japanese third party. It is classic Japanese third party thinking. (Which doesn't mean it isn't stupid...I happen to think it is :p)

yurinka

So the switch is a threat? I'm sure the number switches sold are keeping Sony up at night.
No. Maybe they just to bring back to PlayStation consoles an IP that debuted there and had a huge success in their portables to make their fans happy and get a good profit, especially in Japan.

I like MH a lot, but it's basically a fighting game with a few conditional items (that you have to constantly waste time restocking) and RNG-based character growth. I can't think of another major franchise that requires as much time to improve your stats as MH does, the grind is baffling.

This last paragraph is pretty reductionist, and ignores the context of the reasons why aspects of the franchise exists.

First thing, MH is nothing like a fighting game, full stop, and referring to as such is weird even if I do think it's possible to stretch the definition so wildly it can technically fit. Smash Bros, Street Fighter, Nidhogg, and even Pokken have much more in common to each other than Monster Hunter has with any of them.

The "few conditional items" add to the strategic depth of the game, in that they all require you to make or buy them, you have a limited amount of slots for them, and certain items are more or less effective depending on what monster you are fighting. They're not just there to "waste time", their existence is an entire aspect of the experience. In fact, being able to beat a given monster with less usage of the same items you did before (such as healing potions), serves as an effective and natural sign that your skill at the game, not your stats, has increased. Besides traps and tranqs for capture quests, items aren't even necessarily conditional depending on your skill level. And they've made it ever easier and easier to get the item you need, so it's increasingly less of a problem.

I won't pretend to fully enjoy the drop rates of the series. In fact, I do agree they could be a bit better. But not by that much. The reason that drop rates work as they do is because the monsters exist as the main draw of the franchise (perhaps tied with the weapons). The game is skill based, and encouraging the player to fight the same monster multiple times to get the armor they oh so dearly want is another way to improve the player's skill at the game. There is a lot of thought put into each monster, it's animations, it's move combinations, etc. If you could beat it on a or twice and have a full set of armor, you're only increasing your stats rather than your skill, and most monsters, even well designed ones like the Zinogre, would see players run through it once and then never again until they get to the next rank.

This last bit is a problem for multiple reasons. Firstly, stats are important in MH, but not by very much. Your armor or crafted weapon does not mean as much as your skill does when fighting monsters, especially at high rank, where monsters can three shot you at any given moment even with the highest defense armor in the game. So skill is the most important aspect for the game to "teach" before you move up in ranks. For the people who fought the Zinorge and other monsters once, they're going to be stomped, multiple times, by multiple monsters, no matter what armor they happen to be wearing.

By providing soft encouragement to fight a monster multiple times, the series promotes the buildup of the skills needed to fight that they'll absolutely need when they rank up. Timing for almost frame perfect dodges, attack patterns, how to look out for a major opening. The development of these skills is extremely important, even against different monsters. The people who beat the Zinorge multiple times at a lower rank for their armor will have a much easier time against the same at a higher rank than the one and done group, even when it pulls out new moves. And they will see their personal skill, not their character's abstract numbers, be rewarded for their efforts.

Tldr; Skill over stats is an inherent part of the game design that both items and drop rates are contributing factors to.

R0ckman

I prefer my action games to be based on skill instead of stats.

After a while of spending time in this series, I don't find the game particularly a test of "skill" in the traditional sense of game design.

The game has serious dated mechanics, but Capcom got lucky and hid it behind the illusion that its based on a high skill celing. What it really feels like is a test of patience dealing with some of the ridiculous traits of the engine. They claim things were added for the sake of reflecting reality but there are things that are totally ridiculous in the game from how characters preform basic movements.

Why the HELL can my character NOT turn on a dime when my weapon is sheathed? Why does the character actually have to walk a quater circle to change direction? There is no reason for things like this.

After a while of spending time in this series, I don't find the game particularly a test of "skill" in the traditional sense of game design.

The game has serious dated mechanics, but Capcom got lucky and hid it behind the illusion that its based on a high skill celing. What it really feels like is a test of patience dealing with some of the ridiculous traits of the engine. They claim things were added for the sake of reflecting reality but there are things that are totally ridiculous in the game from how characters preform basic movements.

Why the HELL can my character NOT turn on a dime when my weapon is sheathed? Why does the character actually have to walk a quater circle to change direction? There is no reason for things like this.

Aspects of dated design does not fully take away the skill driven path the series follows. There are indeed parts of the franchise that are evidence of obsolete or frustrating build philosophy, but the "illusion" of a high skill ceiling and floor is no illusion, but is a fact of the dynamics between the game systems such as the monsters and weapon styles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom