• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom files trademark for "Monster Hunter: World" in U.S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eolz

Man the fanboy wars that will spawn when they show off a graphical showcase MH Worlds while at the same time showing MH XX ( whatever its called here). With Switch not getting the pretty one it will spawn a lot of mess.

If the gameplay was the same, it would.
I remember people trying that with MHOnline for two threads until they said "yeah ok, it's not the monster hunter that I wanted".

Let's see how the gameplay before thinking there will be a lot of fanboy wars.
Again, look back at the thread of when Frontier was announced for Vita for example. Some fanboyism at first until they understood what the game was about.

edit: and if Worlds is good, I'm sure some people will like both versions.

Man the fanboy wars that will spawn when they show off a graphical showcase MH Worlds while at the same time showing MH XX ( whatever its called here). With Switch not getting the pretty one it will spawn a lot of mess.

And as someone who's excited to play both, I'll just ignore the console warriors and be happy I'm getting more MH than ever before.

Delio

If the gameplay was the same, it would.
I remember people trying that with MHOnline for two threads until they said "yeah ok, it's not the monster hunter that I wanted".

Let's see how the gameplay before thinking there will be a lot of fanboy wars.
Again, look back at the thread of when Frontier was announced for Vita for example. Some fanboyism at first until they understood what the game was about.

edit: and if Worlds is good, I'm sure some people will like both versions.

We will see. But I have zero faith in people not to shitpost for days about it. I think the gameplay wont be THAT far from the mainline titles though just faster and more flashier.

Oersted

We had fanboy wars since the franchise went to Nintendo. We gonna be fine.

Put me in the camp that believe this is Monster Hunter 5 in Japan and worlds in West.

There is a camp for that.

Dingens

I just don't really get the advantage of it being an arena fighter over say tracking your quarry over a full open map.
I mean the monsters tend to run away into different sections anyway, so whats the difference in following them on a seamless map?

running from one end of an "arena" to the other is already a chore. Do you really wanna run across an open world?
I sure don't.
the loading times can't even be called that. It's like a second at worst

NSESN

No it won't. One is a new game and the other is a 3ds port.

Mephala

I just don't really get the advantage of it being an arena fighter over say tracking your quarry over a full open map.
I mean the monsters tend to run away into different sections anyway, so whats the difference in following them on a seamless map?

I don't really hate it. I think it does some things well. A better sense of scale for one. You climb for 4 seconds, load for 4 seconds and appear on top of a tower that would probably take at least a full 2 minute to climb otherwise. You literally cannot see the ground from atop the tower.

Each zone also feels like an actual different part of a singular habitat. The volcano map for instance starts you at a relative safe distance from the volcano, you're not even really at the base. You head in and eventually begin to feel the heat. Further in gouts of flames erupt from fissures in the ground and the final zones are usually just a small area that is close to or even a little bit inside the mouth of the volcano. Each area can also have their own little details, short cuts, creatures etc. Some parts of the volcano are more cavernous and so a different set of beasts will inhabit it. While I think it would be great to see this in an open world I think it'll also be a lot harder to achieve the same level of detail and feel.

From a gameplay perspective it allows us to learn each map. Better understand and predict monsters. It flew to zone 3? It is likely going for the popos to recover health. Flying to zone 6? I better approach from zone 7 instead so I don't fight need to climb the vines to reach the boss. That cat just stole my shit? I know where these fuckers live!

Kinsei

Banned
It's because Monster Hunter is an arena fighter. Each numbered section on the map locales are arenas. It's streamlined by being "teleported" literally in seconds to the next area so you don't have to trek through pathways (the dotted lines).
See these image examples:
C3PpqHs.jpg

h5ofuOj.jpg

You can see how far apart some areas are. Taking away the teleportation aspect and actually having to traverse the segments that connect areas together would be more time consuming.

Yep. An "open world" Monster Hunter should just be the same thing as we have now but with a short fade to black as you transition from area to area instead of a loading screen.

Eolz

Yep. An "open world" Monster Hunter should just be the same thing as we have now but with a short fade to black as you transition from area to area instead of a loading screen.

So exactly the same?
What you're saying is not open world, just shorter loading screens.

Kandinsky

Cross posting from MC thread, I bet the trailer ends with 'Monster Hunter World" and then the 'Vorld' fades away, get it?, as in V, I tells ya, this gonna be hype af.

MH5 baby!, I feel pretty smart now.

Ridley327

Cross posting from MC thread, I bet the trailer ends with 'Monster Hunter World" and then the 'Vorld' fades away, get it?, as in V, I tells ya, this gonna be hype af.

MH5 baby!, I feel pretty smart now.

I think that would have to be reflected in the copyright in order for it to have any water.

F31 Leopard

Like I said it would be time consuming having to actually traverse the connecting paths verses being teleported to each section like it currently is.

running from one end of an "arena" to the other is already a chore. Do you really wanna run across an open world?
I sure don't.
the loading times can't even be called that. It's like a second at worst

This is a perfect example.

Toxi

Banned
I would love a Monster Hunter game where you basically have all the zones mashed up into one big one. So instead of having a forest zone with 11 areas, a swamp zone with 11 areas, a desert zone with 11 areas, a tundra zone with 11 areas, and a volcano zone with 11 areas, you'd have one giant zone with 55 areas that encompasses forest, desert, swamp, tundra, and volcano themes. They could maybe gate off sections of the world until you reach higher hunter ranks, so you can't just access everything immediately.

The main thing this would fix is the repetition of areas within a zone. There's a significant problem where many monsters follow the exact same patrol patterns in each zone. In MH4U's Volcanic Hollow, Brachydios, Stygian Zinogre, Gravios, Teostra, etc. all go through the same areas as each other, since there are a limited number of areas for combat in Volcanic Hollow. So fights with different monsters all feel very similar. By connecting all the zones, you can have many more areas available. Like Stygian Zinogre might move between the volcano and tundra zone areas, Gravios might move between the volcano and swamp zone areas, Teostra might move between the volcano and desert zone areas, etc.

Plus, it would expand the number of available areas for each monster, which means less shit like constantly fighting giant monsters in the tiny area 2 of Volcanic Hollow.

The main issue with this idea I see is that it would make for a ludicrously complex map, which would be pretty confusing if not handled correctly.

(In case it's not obvious from the rest of this post, I fucking hate Volcanic Hollow)

Kyoufu

you know what would be cool

for area transitions, if you can ride Rathalos as he flies off into his world tour

or climb onto a Great Jaggi as it limps into a cave from a manhole.

Or hang from Rathian's tail as she flies to her nest to rest and recover.

Ridley327

for area transitions, if you can ride Rathalos as he flies off into his world tour

I dunno, that sounds like it would get old really quickly on subsequent hunts. The problem with setpiece-driven mechanics is that they're never as impressive as the first time you go through it.

Vena

This would be a waste of time after one novelty pass, and you generally hunt hundreds of monsters. I have no interest in watching scripted set-piece ad nauseum, I play these games to hunt monsters not to be cooed by glorified cutscenes.

Rathain tails are toxic. You're not hanging on to jack shit.

Dingens

sometimes I get the impression that some people want a "monster hunter"-game that has nothing to do with what makes a monster hunter game but the title.

sometimes I get the impression that some people want a "monster hunter"-game that has nothing to do with what makes a monster hunter game but the title.
Same opinion here

I love the MH series and would not enjoy it becoming a generic open world hunting game

Mafro

I get the impression that some of these people have never even played a Monster Hunter game before, like the idea of it but never owned the Nintendo hardware to play the recent ones when the series got bigger in the west.

And as someone who's excited to play both, I'll just ignore the console warriors and be happy I'm getting more MH than ever before.

Preach! Still a shame that we will still see meltdown and shit flinging, but at the end of the day more Monster Hunter isn't a bad thing.

Or just kill area transitions completely!

Be honest, you only just heard about MH with this thread and decided to flex your fanboy muscles, right? Because there have literally been console MH games released when the main series was on handheld. And that was a difference of the Xbox 360 vs the 3DS, which was MUCH larger, so take your embarrassing nonsense out of here

Mupod

as I've said many times in MH threads over the years, there's definitely ways they could get rid of area transitions and maintain the gameplay. The improved mobility and traversal in MH4 seemed like a step towards that to me. They could also add mounts or Zelda gliders or whatever to make moving around easier.

the worst was that one thread where the guy said they should just put the MH name on a new Dragon's Dogma so it'd sell more.

I feel like I'm more open to major changes than most longtime MH people. I defended Tri's low amount of content when it was facing major backlash because I recognized that something had to give if they wanted to improve the hitboxes, animations etc to such a degree. But for the most part MH fans are used to very gradual iteration and pulling a DmC or Dead Rising 4 seems like it'd go over especially poorly. Not that it's ever stopped them before.

Kyoufu

This would be a waste of time after one novelty pass, and you generally hunt hundreds of monsters. I have no interest in watching scripted set-piece ad nauseum, I play these games to hunt monsters not to be cooed by glorified cutscenes.

Rathain tails are toxic. You're not hanging on to jack shit.

implying that current area transitions aren't already a waste of time

��

Yup.

Oregano

��

Yup.

Past area transitions have generally been shorter than some kind of cinematic/QTE cutaway thing like you suggested. It would be good to expand mounting to make it closer to DD though so you would have options like that.

Kyoufu

Past area transitions have generally been shorter than some kind of cinematic/QTE cutaway thing like you suggested. It would be good to expand mounting to make it closer to DD though so you would have options like that.

Shorter? It's basically the same. I mean, the monster has to fly or leap or move to the area anyway, you'd just be taken to that area if conditions are met.

My point here is that mounting should be expanded. Like in Dragon's Dogma where you're mounted on the final boss as it's flying in the air. That would be so cool. Maybe even fight a flying Lao at some point?

Ridley327

as I've said many times in MH threads over the years, there's definitely ways they could get rid of area transitions and maintain the gameplay. The improved mobility and traversal in MH4 seemed like a step towards that to me. They could also add mounts or Zelda gliders or whatever to make moving around easier.

the worst was that one thread where the guy said they should just put the MH name on a new Dragon's Dogma so it'd sell more.

I feel like I'm more open to major changes than most longtime MH people. I defended Tri's low amount of content when it was facing major backlash because I recognized that something had to give if they wanted to improve the hitboxes, animations etc to such a degree. But for the most part MH fans are used to very gradual iteration and pulling a DmC or Dead Rising 4 seems like it'd go over especially poorly. Not that it's ever stopped them before.

The problem, at least in retrospect, was how much more they added to the game with MHP3 in a relatively short amount of time. Yeah, it leaned more heavily into reusing assets with how many returning monsters showed up, but they got all of the important gameplay improvements that the third generation introduced. While it would have been nice to see them get the same level of care that the new Raths and Diablos received with their graphical makeovers, they got the important stuff all the same. And god, whoever made the call to keep the low and high rank armors identical in appearance was a bad person.

Oregano

Shorter? It's basically the same. I mean, the monster has to fly or leap or move to the area anyway, you'd just be taken to that area if conditions are met.

Ehhh I guess so but that would change the dynamic of a hunt. Monsters fleeing can be annoying at times but I think it gives a certain structure to the game that might be lacking otherwise.

It would have to be something they approach carefully with a more open game.

Vena

What? Transitions are fast, can be interrupted, and then give you an option to follow, rest, recoup, re-prep, or just chase down the monster you certainly paintballed.

All you did is add a cinematic about how a hunter is hanging on to a toxic rathian tail... somehow.

At some point, this stops being MH.

Kinsei

Banned

My point here is that mounting should be expanded. Like in Dragon's Dogma where you're mounted on the final boss as it's flying in the air. That would be so cool. Maybe even fight a flying Lao at some point?

A flying Lao? That would be an incredibly stupid sight. I just can't picture this

flying.

Rambler

I don't get it either, it's not like Monster Hunter tries to trick people into thinking it's an adventure game.

What? Transitions are fast, can be interrupted, and then give you an option to follow, rest, recoup, re-prep, or just chase down the monster you certainly paintballed.

All you did is add a cinematic about how a hunter is hanging on to a toxic rathian tail... somehow.

At some point, this stops being MH.

How come? what does a loading screen add to the game? I'm not convinced having areas but not having loading screens in between them would work against the fundamentals of the franchise.

Nah. One is a 3DS port, and the other is not.

Also, one is a good MonHun; the other is MH: World, if it ends up being the Chinese-developed PC game.

Oregano

How come? what does a loading screen add to the game? I'm not convinced having areas but not having loading screens in between them would work against the fundamentals of the franchise.

I think it's something that could hurt it if they did it wrong.

Something as simple as a monster retreating to its nest and resting is fundamentally different if it's a full open area.

They did need to have the right approach and solution IMO.

Murkas

If you kill area transitions how would you run away to heal/eat/sharpen etc?

I feel they're quite important and should stay. Better than running away and the monster just stops chasing you because you left its aggro zone or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom