• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom FY3/20 Software Shipments, Physical units down 51.5% YoY: PS4 66%, NSW 23% XB1 6% of shipments

For the fiscal year ending March 2020, Capcom shipped:
- 3.25M units of Packaged Software for PS4.
- 1.15M units of Packaged Software for Nintendo Switch.
- 300k units of Packaged Software for Xbox One.
- 200k units of Packaged Software for PC.

The percentages in the thread title for each platform were for the percentage of physical units making up the 4.95M units physical total for the fiscal year ending March 2020.

Physical and Digital sales breakdown -

For the fiscal year ending March 2020:

Packaged software shipped = 4.95M units (Down 51.5% YoY)
Packaged software sales = 12.9B yen (Down 64% YoY)

Full-game downloads = 20.55M units (Up 34.5% YoY)
Digital sales = 42.6 B yen (Up 3.9% YoY)

For the fiscal year ending March 2020, Capcom shipped:
- 3.25M units of Packaged Software for PS4.
- 1.15M units of Packaged Software for Nintendo Switch.
- 300k units of Packaged Software for Xbox One.
- 200k units of Packaged Software for PC.

The percentages in the thread title for each platform were for the percentage of physical units making up the 4.95M units physical total for the fiscal year ending March 2020.

Physical and Digital sales breakdown -

For the fiscal year ending March 2020:

Packaged software shipped = 4.95M units (Down 51.5% YoY)
Packaged software sales = 12.9B yen (Down 64% YoY)

Full-game downloads = 20.55M units (Up 34.5% YoY)
Digital sales = 42.6 B yen (Up 3.9% YoY)

Capcom's total FY2019 earnings skyrocket past record highs as strong software adoption and monetization sparks earnings

Night.Ninja

Banned
Physical lol

DZTXhmC.gif

giphy.gif

We would need digital numbers to get an accurate representation of the sales ratio, but I suspect that it will not make the Xbox close to 20%.

thelastword

Banned
Real stats, I like them.....Actual numbers that gives perspective......No Mau's, no wasteful stats like how many explosions there was in a shooter. Tell us how the games are doing, what's selling, what platforms are driving the hardware and giving game devs the drive and purpose to keep on working hard and delivering prime content.

You people can't help but bring in game pass on threads that it doesn't even make sense in.
Whatever, gamepass is the answer, this is the answer to all questions. The answer all scientists, philosophers and religious people were looking for all that time, Phil brought us together under the one and only truth we must spread it.

Seriously this is ridiculous, and it holds only as long as you pay 1$ a month or less for it, games are not like TV shows, sometimes they last obsene amount of time, and some are free to begin with... anyway PSNow has a better and bigger selection of games, it offers PC access as well, etc. Nobody is lost enough on the PS side to lose their minds over it, probably because we have games to begin with?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
and what is the break down in digital sales and also what. were the sales per software title?

easy to look at figures but they need to be broken down properly before you can jump to conclusions

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Whatever, gamepass is the answer, this is the answer to all questions. The answer all scientists, philosophers and religious people were looking for all that time, Phil brought us together under the one and only truth we must spread it.

Seriously this is ridiculous, and it holds only as long as you pay 1$ a month or less for it, games are not like TV shows, sometimes they last obsene amount of time, and some are free to begin with... anyway PSNow has a better and bigger selection of games, it offers PC access as well, etc. Nobody is lost enough on the PS side to lose their minds over it, probably because we have games to begin with?

Good thing it's not $1

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Not surprised at Xbox One software sales, or Ps4.

PS4 has sold over a billion software units, ranking second behind PS2. It holds 1s, 3rd and 4th spot as far as annual records go.

Iw2mTAO.png

People think PS4 just sells a lot of hw, but it sells a fuck ton of software. With BC and digital libraries factoring into the equation for next gen... yeah.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I feel game pass is causing xbox users not to buy games anymore . Ur time is limited and u have many many games there for 1$.

I'd be very curious if this is true for 3rd party games on the Xbox One. And if it is, how 3rd parties will feel about it in a few years.

ethomaz

Banned
We would need digital numbers to get an accurate representation of the sales ratio, but I suspect that it will not make the Xbox close to 20%.
These numbers includes digital.

So why did they release more games on PS4 instead of XB1?
Because it sells great on PS4...

You know a title needs at least a minimum level of sales to a port be viable... the two big games released on Xbox sold in avg. 150k copies in a year... imagine if you release the others smaller titles there? It won't even pay the cost of the port.

Last edited:
That Disney plus deal must be killing ESPN and Hulu as well.

And that Netflix free month must be KILLER to their sub numbers.
Do you know how many will keep it?

The point is not that the 1$ a month (or is it 1$ for 3 months) is there to build up the user base, rake in credit cards numbers...

So the question is, do I think that it's worth it? do I think that it's worth it for others once that period is over?
The answer is no, because it makes no sense given how people get and play their games.

Assuming you really love your games, and play them for a decent amount of time (CoD players, Fortnite, most open world games, etc. they get insane amount of play time).

Not only that, but if you buy your games you will have built-up a bigger library over the years--with games you care about--than gamepass has, on any platform you like, etc. the long therm value is just insane compared to a registration service, even compared to a digital download service (my Steam library is like 200 games that I bought over the years, my Epic games store library is build of around the same number of games I got for free over whatever amount of time I have been getting their free games).

I have 14 phydiscal games + about as many digital games on the PS4, all games I cared enough to actually get.

Let's say for a minute I had gotten PSNow instead of buying my games, limited myself to the games Sony choose for me, most of these games would have been un-available to me, and PSNow has a bigger and better library than GamePass.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Is the topic of the thread about sales comparison or about "Why does Capcom only release 2 games on the Xbox One"? If you want to make a comparison at least look at the full picture.

Plus on average per game the PS4 sold 406K units per game, whereas the XBO sold 150K units per game. That means the PS4 sold about 270% more units per game than the XBO for Capcom. That's a lot on a per game basis! And that's not counting the fact that the PS4 got 6 more games this last FY.

ethomaz

Banned
Not surprised at Xbox One software sales, or Ps4.

PS4 has sold over a billion software units, ranking second behind PS2. It holds 1s, 3rd and 4th spot as far as annual records go.

Iw2mTAO.png

People think PS4 just sells a lot of hw, but it sells a fuck ton of software. With BC and digital libraries factoring into the equation for next gen... yeah.
PS4 games per console sold is the best of the history.
Even over PS2.

sublimit

Banned
Damn look at those shrinking physical sales! It almost seems as if we were amidst a pandemic!:pie_thinking: Quick everyone report that physical is dying!

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Plus on average per game the PS4 sold 406K units per game, whereas the XBO sold 150K units per game. That means the PS4 sold about 270% more units per game than the XBO for Capcom. That's a lot on a per game basis! And that's not counting the fact that the PS4 got 6 more games this last FY.
But that's only retail sales, right? We don't know anything about digital sales. Although we shouldn't pretend like Xbox One owners are so much more digital than Playstation owners.

Is the topic of the thread about sales comparison or about "Why does Capcom only release 2 games on the Xbox One"? If you want to make a comparison at least look at the full picture.

And knowing why they release less games on the X1 helps answer the question. Also knowing about the games that didn't release on X1 could also help explain the situation.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Do you know how many will keep it?

The point is not that the 1$ a month (or is it 1$ for 3 months) is there to build up the user base, rake in credit cards numbers...

So the question is, do I think that it's worth it? do I think that it's worth it for others once that period is over?
The answer is no, because it makes no sense given how people get and play their games.

Assuming you really love your games, and play them for a decent amount of time (CoD players, Fortnite, most open world games, etc. they get insane amount of play time).

Not only that, but if you buy your games you will have built-up a bigger library over the years--with games you care about--than gamepass has, on any platform you like, etc. the long therm value is just insane compared to a registration service, even compared to a digital download service (my Steam library is like 200 games that I bought over the years, my Epic games store library is build of around the same number of games I got for free over whatever amount of time I have been getting their free games).

I have 14 phydiscal games + about as many digital games on the PS4, all games I cared enough to actually get.

Let's say for a minute I had gotten PSNow instead of buying my games, limited myself to the games Sony choose for me, most of these games would have been un-available to me, and PSNow has a bigger and better library than GamePass.

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I'd be very curious if this is true for 3rd party games on the Xbox One. And if it is, how 3rd parties will feel about it in a few years.

The whole "Gamepass improves sales" spin by Phil Spenser is hilarious. Like saying Netflix improves BluRay/Home Video sales.

A gamer plays a game on gamepass, likes it, and the sequel is announced and the data shows there's a 25% chance increase of that player pre-ordering the sequel, MS says then turns and says "gamepass improves sales".

Like buying Minecraft on Switch and MS adding +1 to their Xbox Live numbers.

I understand it's how business is conducted, because people don't read past headlines and journalists these days don't bother to research as they prefer to get cozy with the hand that feeds, but it's still funny.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This is my point.

I highly doubt it is. Your reply was all over the place.

I am guessing you are trying to say that games have a longer longevity than a movie or tv show? Which yeah I guess some do but not all. Not everyone plays one game forever. In fact a majority of the market doesnt.

Iced Arcade

makes sense, PS4 had a lot more consoles sold AND capcom sold 2 xb1 games vs 8 on the PS4 lol

on a side note... actually don't even know anyone who buys physical games anymore.
You people can't help but bring in game pass on threads that it doesn't even make sense in.
Lol, maybe also check how many games were released for each platform...

8 games for PS4/NSW
2 games for Xbox One

shh shhh shhh 8 vs 2 games and those games that are not on gamepass ruin the predictable few spinning

Last edited:
makes sense, PS4 had a lot more consoles sold AND capcom sold 2 xb1 games vs 8 on the PS4 lol

on a side note... actually don't even know anyone who buys physical games anymore.

shh shhh shhh 8 vs 2 games and those games that are not on gamepass ruin the predictable few spinning
What does GamePass have to do with anything? If people download your game on gamepass and they play it for an hour, if at all, they probably would not have bought into the thing anyway.

GamePass is not about publishers pockets, it's about MS making more money, there is not a 1:1 ratio as to what would end up as sales, and there is no commitment to the game in medium or long therm.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Capcom just gave the world Resident Evil 3 remastered the numbers are trying to push a narrative.

Iced Arcade

What does GamePass have to do with anything? If people download your game on gamepass and they play it for an hour, if at all, they probably would not have bought into the thing anyway.

GamePass is not about publishers pockets, it's about MS making more money, there is not a 1:1 ratio as to what would end up as sales, and there is no commitment to the game in medium or long therm.
yeah add me to the list of "no idea what you are trying to say. "

Top Bottom