• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Interested In PSP Remasters For the U.S., Having Issues Getting Sony Approval

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems Capcom is running into issues with SCEI and SCEA when trying to get PSP Remastered released in the U.S.

VG247 said:
Capcom USA “pushing” for local release of PSP Remasters

Christian Svensson of Capcom USA has said the company is hoping to see PSP Remasters of games like Monster Hunter Portable 3rd released in the West.

“Frankly, a lot of that sits in Sony’s hands, SCEA and SCEI’s hands right now,” Svensson said during an Ask Capcom Q&A.

“I could see it happening in Japan, because SCEJ has committed to that range of product. … I continue to have conversations with SCEA on this topic.

“… We’re pushing hard for that to happen. I think that opens the door to Power Stone … to Monster Hunter. Unfortunately there’s no movement on that front right now. Still pushing.”

Asked about Monster Hunter news in particular, Svensson reiterated that the issue is in Sony’s hands, but hinted that Capcom has an announcement forthcoming if nothing comes of negotiations.

“We mentioned the Sony issue around the PSP to PS3 line that Sony Japan is doing. I’m still pushing very hard on that, I’d like for that to happen.,” he said.

“In the absence of that, at some point in time, we will have some additional news, which is interesting, actually.”
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/07/04/capcom-usa-pushing-for-local-release-of-psp-remasters/

More at the link.

I really hope Sony's reasoning is "Oh we just haven't gotten around to it yet" and not a return of their stone-age "We're going to police third party releases and we don't like PSP games on the PS3" style policies.

Aeana

cvxfreak said:
When it comes to Capcom, it's never their fault. Always someone else's.
That said, other people have confirmed that SCEA's policy for these things is that they have to be bundled with another game at the very least.

Emitan

I have trouble believing Sony is stopping Capcom from releasing what is essentially free money for them. So Japan and Europe are getting this game and not-OH MY GOD IT'S A CONSPIRACY. REGGIE!!!!!

tearsofash said:
Not sure how SCEJ can be on board when their PS store is still down. Either way, I really hope to see Darkstalkers or Power Stone at some point.
Can we finally get an online Power Stone game? I would definitely double dip on that.

tearsofash

Not sure how SCEJ can be on board when their PS store is still down. Either way, I really hope to see Darkstalkers or Power Stone at some point.

Bah, Sony's shitty policies making a return?

Anyway if it goes through, hope we get Last Ranker (since we aren't getting it any other way).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
tearsofash said:

What does PS Store have to do with anything? It's a disc release

Kyoufu said:
Hmmmmm.......

Gee, where have we heard this before?

Shouldn't we encourage more digital downloads on PSN. Does SCEA still have these shitty policies?

Increase your store with more games, assbags!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Shouldn't we encourage more digital downloads on PSN. Does SCEA still have these shitty policies?

Increase your store with more games, assbags!

SCEA has actually been relaxing old policies as of late. For example, they now allow JP only voice for disc based games. Before, you could only do PSN release with those.

ShockingAlberto said:
I really hope Sony's reasoning is "Oh we just haven't gotten around to it yet" and not a return of their stone-age "We're going to police third party releases and we don't like PSP games on the PS3" style policies.

It probably has to do with SCEA's policy that HD/PSP Collections have to come bundled with another game. That's not how it works in Japan which is why MHP3 is being released on its own and the same goes for Peace Walker HD.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Read my lips:

Breath. Of. Fire. 3. And. The. Last. Ranker. Capcom. Goddamn. You.

No love until these happen,
-Me.

(BTW, where the hell is Biohazard PSP that was announced at E3 2009, don't think I forgot!)

Because we've all been asking for a port of the psp port of the power stone games...

Some people are. Getting a second stick for some games would benefit, and if they've redone the D-pad over the PSP-1000's (dunno about 2/3000's) it's a marked improvement to completely report with extras to the PSP2.

(And can't you play remasters on the PS3? Or is that just Monster Hunter Portable 3?)

Eusis

Aeana said:
That said, other people have confirmed that SCEA's policy for these things is that they have to be bundled with another game at the very least.
Yeah, it's really annoying they're still doing stuff like this given the PSP market's dropped out. Wouldn't have mattered TOO much if it hadn't, though it'd still be dumb given how many people WANT these games on the PS3 over PSP. I don't doubt there was more outcry for them here than in Japan.

TheSeks said:
Read my lips:

-Me.
They released BoF1 & 2 on the GBA here, and BoF3 on the PSP in Europe. It's clear whose fault that REALLY is.

... Though there's still Last Ranker, and the fact they could just put BoF3 and 4 on the PSN if they won't release the slightly updated PSP port.

Aeana

TheSeks said:
(BTW, where the hell is Biohazard PSP that was announced at E3 2009, don't think I forgot!)
I thought it was generally believed that RE PSP turned into Revelations for 3DS.

EDIT: Oh, guess not according to Nirolak's post below.

Was going to mention Power Stone Collection. Pleasantly surprised to see Sven mention it already.

Hopefully Sony isn't getting in their way or anything. I'm still a bit bitter about them blocking stuff like BoF III PSP from coming out in the US. (That was Sony that stopped that from happening, right?)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
TheSeks said:
Read my lips:

-Me.

So far it seems very likely that it became Raccoon City.

-The teaser image was in Raccoon City.
-The design doc was reportedly very different from any other Resident Evil games.
-Slant Six was a major PSP shooter developer.
-It's a four player co-op game, which is a big feature for high selling PSP titles.

It all seems to add up.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
cosmicblizzard said:
Bah, Sony's shitty policies making a return?

Anyway if it goes through, hope we get Last Ranker (since we aren't getting it any other way).
They never left, just been getting a bit easier to get past.

TheSeks

Aeana said:
I thought it was generally believed that RE PSP turned into Revelations for 3DS.

Then they should outright confirm it. Stealth canceling it turns it into a Last Remant PS3 situation.

Nirolak said:

So this isn't the droids Bio:Outbreak PSP I'm looking for then? FUCKING THING SUCKS.gif

Nirolak said:

-The design doc was reportedly very different from any other Resident Evil games.
-It's a four player co-op game, which is a big feature for high selling PSP titles.

It all seems to add up.

Sven has flatout denied that Raccoon City was RE PSP.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SolidSnakex said:
Sven has honesty issues in general though.

If we can get someone else to say it, I'll be more believing.

Like I'm sure this Monster Hunter issue isn't all that it seems to be.

Ridley327

Nirolak said:
Sven has honesty issues in general though.

If we can get someone else to say it, I'll be more believing.

Like I'm sure this Monster Hunter issue isn't all that it seems to be.
What, you don't think it's possible that Okamiden outsold AAI in two weeks?

The nerve of some people!

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Go Sony! Deny those loosy goosies more milking opportunities!

TheSeks

SolidSnakex said:

Sven is a community manager, though: What process other than asking higher ups does he truly know?

Like I said: If it's been canceled, I want them to outright state it. If it's still in development, I want them to outright state it. Ported? State it. Don't announce shit and then just hope people forget. It doesn't look good for your company when you do that (IMO).

Eusis said:
... Though there's still Last Ranker, and the fact they could just put BoF3 and 4 on the PSN if they won't release the slightly updated PSP port.

I just honestly want Last Ranker. The PSP port of BoF3 was decent, but at this point I've been begging in the PSN store thread for about two-three years bafore Kagari put her foot down for BoF3/4 to come to the PSN store via PSX.

At least they've put the Biohazard 1-3 series and Dino Crisis 1+2 on the store. So Capcom's halfway there with the stuff I want. Now, if they would simply just get their heads out their asses when it comes to the Breath of Fire team and their stuff, I'd be happy. ...Well, not until there is a Super Street 4 PSP2 port. But I'm sure that's going to happen since the 3DS framework is already there for a port/tweak job.

cvxfreak said:
When it comes to Capcom, it's never their fault. Always someone else's.

Sony (well SCEA) was NOTORIOUS for butting heads with SNK for their Neogeo->PS2 ports, although back then it seemed like they had an issue with old 2D sprite games, it could be here that because they're ports of old games. That's why SNK gave them the finger and made a lot XBLA exclusives. Damn you Sony, don't make the same mistake again...

I guess that means what we'll get is

A fighting game 2-fer with the SFA3 and Darkstalkers ports
The Powerstone Collection (no problem there)
A Mega Man 2-fer with Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X (I'd be okay with this)

Eusis

makingmusic476 said:
Why wouldn't SCEA be behind this? They're releasing the God of War PSP Collection on PS3 in a few months.
While I was lurking I saw Akselziys say that remasters had to be bundled. I'm guessing Capcom wants to release these games, namely ones like Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, alone.

tearsofash

Wario64 said:
What does PS Store have to do with anything? It's a disc release
?

Didn't know that! Thanks for setting me straight. For whatever reason, I thought these would be PSN releases.

Nirolak said:

It all seems to add up.
You just blew my mind.

Ridley327

Eusis said:
While I was lurking I saw Akselziys say that remasters had to be bundled. I'm guessing Capcom wants to release these games, namely ones like Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, alone.
It's a bit of a tight spot since there's really not much of a reason to include another MH, particularly since the PSP games recycle so many of the same monsters, and they really can't bundle it with another Capcom game since Capcom doesn't have another PSP franchise quite like MH.

I mean, I guess they could try and bundle Power Stone or Ultimate GnG with it, but I imagine there would be a lot of confused glares from everyone.

Eusis

TheSeks said:
I just honestly want Last Ranker. The PSP port of BoF3 was decent, but at this point I've been begging in the PSN store thread for about two-three years bafore Kagari put her foot down for BoF3/4 to come to the PSN store via PSX.

At least they've put the Biohazard 1-3 series and Dino Crisis 1+2 on the store. So Capcom's halfway there with the stuff I want. Now, if they would simply just get their heads out their asses when it comes to the Breath of Fire team and their stuff, I'd be happy. ...Well, not until there is a Super Street 4 PSP2 port. But I'm sure that's going to happen since the 3DS framework is already there for a port/tweak job.
Yeah, BoF3's my second favorite behind Dragon Quarter but Last Ranker is something new entirely. I've lost most interest in Capcom's PSN output though knowing that MML can't happen. :/

androvsky

TheSeks said:
I recall reading a couple years ago when Capcom was talking about their big surge of PS1 releases on PSN that there were trying to get BoF3/4 on there, but were having issues with clearing rights with some middleware. Are they on PSN anywhere in the world?

Eusis

Ridley327 said:
It's a bit of a tight spot since there's really not much of a reason to include another MH, particularly since the PSP games recycle so many of the same monsters, and they really can't bundle it with another Capcom game since Capcom doesn't have another PSP franchise quite like MH.
I figure that if absolutely necessary they could throw Freedom Unite in as an extra and to make SCEA shut up, and put 3rd front and center in marketing, regardless of how meaningful it is to have it with 3rd. Sorta like how some games came with prequels as pre-order incentives or just because.
androvsky said:
I recall reading a couple years ago when Capcom was talking about their big surge of PS1 releases on PSN that there were trying to get BoF3/4 on there, but were having issues with clearing rights with some middleware. Are they on PSN anywhere in the world?
Crap, was that so? And I don't see it on Wikipedia, so I guess they really couldn't clear it up. Wonder if that's part of the problem MML has actually?

Kyoufu

Eusis said:
I figure that if absolutely necessary they could throw Freedom Unite in as an extra and to make SCEA shut up, and put 3rd front and center in marketing, regardless of how meaningful it is to have it with 3rd. Sorta like how some games came with prequels as pre-order incentives or just because.

Or they'll just not bother releasing it in the west because it sells like shit here anyway.

TheSeks

androvsky said:

Their big surge was Bio1-3, Dino Crisis 1 and then just this past six months (forget when it released, but a LOOOOONG while after) Dino Crisis 2.

Then there is the Street Fighter Zero/Alpha ports, but IIRC most Capcom fighters weren't "arcade perfect"/dropped frames of animations and frames in general for PSX, so those aren't really worthwhile compared to some other fighters like King of Fighters '99 on the store (though KoF99 isn't that great).

At this point my PSX unicorns are:

-Parasite Eve 2 (coming... when? It's on EU, JPN. Coming to US but PSN downtime may have screwed it?)
-BoF 3
-BoF 4
-Einhander

And that's pretty much it besides stuff that may never happen like Legend of Legaia.

Two of those are on JPN's PSN store and one if available in EU already. So it isn't like "licenses" should be too hard for them. :/

androvsky

Eusis said:
Or they could just throw Powerstone on there, since it's another good multiplayer game and won't split up the Monster Hunter newcomer base.

I wonder if SCEJ letting them go without trophies is another hangup, actually...

Two of those are on JPN's PSN store and one if available in EU already. So it isn't like "licenses" should be too hard for them. :/
The question is, are either of the Breath of Fire games on PSN anywhere in the world? I doubt the fighting games were made using the same engine as the RPGs, so if there's some middleware libraries (like a fancy RPG Maker type software, or crazy video codec or something) where the company that owns it is being a jerk or doesn't exist any more, it could be a problem.

Ridley327

androvsky said:
Or they could just throw Powerstone on there, since it's another good multiplayer game and won't split up the Monster Hunter newcomer base.

I wonder if SCEJ letting them go without trophies is another hangup, actually...
This is certainly something else to consider.

shintoki said:
They never left, just been getting a bit easier to get past.
Sony sucks when they're in power, they block 3rd party games like a total asshole. Nintendo sucks when they're in power, they block 1st party games like a total asshole. I shudder to think what Microsoft would do in a position of power.

Can Sega get back into hardware?

Top Bottom