• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Interested In PSP Remasters For the U.S., Having Issues Getting Sony Approval

xc3mfm.jpg

Eusis

Kyoufu said:
Or they'll just not bother releasing it in the west because it sells like shit here anyway.
I thought it did OK on the Wii? I can see Capcom wanting to see if they'd have more luck on the PS3 versus the PSP.

And I suspect publishers are going to want to keep bundles themed if possible, and Power Stone IS very different from Monster Hunter. Freedom Unite, being fully localized and being the immediate prequel, just seems like the most likely candidate.

Takao

Banned
Screw these lying smucks. I don't believe much that comes out of their mouths, and I'd advise others to do the same. They once mentioned how there was some technical issue with getting Megaman Powered Up on PSN. Yet that technical issue didn't prevent it from being released on PSN in Japan. The technical issue is more a legal one, and likely not wanting to pay voice actors more money. Same shit preventing Megaman Legends.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
mega man powered up i hope. these things can be psn releases, sony doesn't gotta be so stinge.

B-Dex

Takao said:
Screw these lying smucks. I don't believe much that comes out of their mouths, and I'd advise others to do the same. They once mentioned how there was some technical issue with getting Megaman Powered Up on PSN. Yet that technical issue didn't prevent it from being released on PSN in Japan. The technical issue is more a legal one, and likely not wanting to pay voice actors more money. Same shit preventing Megaman Legends.

Just hire new actors like Konami!

Capcom said:
In the absence of that, at some point in time, we will have some additional news, which is interesting, actually.
Why even say that?

"At some point in the future, we'll have something to talk about."

Uh, okay. :/

makingmusic476 said:
Why wouldn't SCEA be behind this? They're releasing the God of War PSP Collection on PS3 in a few months.
Just a theory, but I think that may have something to do with it. Knowing Capcom, they do a quick and dirty port of...say...Powerstone Collection and have it ready for certification quickly. Meanwhile Sony is still getting GOW Collection PSP ready for release. And they want this new line of games to debut with a strong 1st party franchise.

So in essence I think they're saying. "Not yet, Capcom. Not yet. Back of the line."

antonz

Eusis said:
I thought it did OK on the Wii? I can see Capcom wanting to see if they'd have more luck on the PS3 versus the PSP.

And I suspect publishers are going to want to keep bundles themed if possible, and Power Stone IS very different from Monster Hunter. Freedom Unite, being fully localized and being the immediate prequel, just seems like the most likely candidate.
MH did well on the Wii because Nintendo and Capcom put togeather one hell of an AD campaign beyond just the normal buyers.

I doubt Capcom or Sony want to invest a ton of cash into these quick cash ins

daffy

Banned
Capcom: Cap Harder

They know Sony's rules. They just don't know what to do with them. There's probably a fat guy sitting outside of Capcom's offices preventing it at this point. bbbut its Sony's problem.

Eusis

Sagitario said:
I kind of like this policy.
I don't if it actively blocks us from getting games. NEW games that is, though it's frustrating to do this stuff for hard-to-find games too.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Takao said:

Er... Sony of America's pulled this shit for years, just different types of "WTF" policies. Like the whole thing where BoF3 couldn't be released on the PSP in the US because SoA required 30% new content for all "ported" games. They pulled the same for Sakura Taisen 1&2. Sony of Japan and Sony of America have very different standards for what they allow, much to the jargon of many of us.

Ridley327 said:
It's a bit of a tight spot since there's really not much of a reason to include another MH, particularly since the PSP games recycle so many of the same monsters, and they really can't bundle it with another Capcom game since Capcom doesn't have another PSP franchise quite like MH.

I mean, I guess they could try and bundle Power Stone or Ultimate GnG with it, but I imagine there would be a lot of confused glares from everyone.
They've got that Felyn Villiage spinoff. How about bundling that?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
TheOGB said:
Yay, I'm not getting cut! Possibly!

But it isn't happening, so you're still getting stabbed. Prepare your kidneys.

Takao said:
Exactly. Svensson is full of shit. >:|

AAK

Nirolak said:
So far it seems very likely that it became Raccoon City.

-The teaser image was in Raccoon City.
-The design doc was reportedly very different from any other Resident Evil games.
-Slant Six was a major PSP shooter developer.
-It's a four player co-op game, which is a big feature for high selling PSP titles.

It all seems to add up.

I honestly thought Revelations was RE PSP.

What are these policies and dont wants for Sony approval. I think the real question that should be asked is why they arent going full blown PSN online support for the game itself.

This doesnt even excuse why it hasnt even come to PSP in the west yet, or why they didnt try to do Tri+3rd pack for PS3....

ezekial45

Banned
Nirolak said:

-The design doc was reportedly very different from any other Resident Evil games.
-It's a four player co-op game, which is a big feature for high selling PSP titles.

It all seems to add up.

Sven actually confirmed that it didn't start out as the PSP game at all.

I think it was during the earlier Ask Capcom streams or the one during E3.

Dedication Through Light said:
What are these policies and dont wants for Sony approval. I think the real question that should be asked is why they arent going full blown PSN online support for the game itself.

This doesnt even excuse why it hasnt even come to PSP in the west yet, or why they didnt try to do Tri+3rd pack for PS3....
I'd be willing to bet Nintendo locked up Tri exclusivity, at least in America.

As for what Sony's policies actually are...I have no clue. I only seem to hear about them after the fact. I didn't know they had a minimum framerate policies until they refused to allow EDF.

Nix

Banned
I don't hear anything until, Capcom gives me MHP3.
Upscaled to the PS3 or 360, I dont really mind which.

If I can't get that then can I at least get a Megaman collection? If I say please, and drop my pants?

sleepykyo

RurouniZel said:
Er... Sony of America's pulled this shit for years, just different types of "WTF" policies. Like the whole thing where BoF3 couldn't be released on the PSP in the US because SoA required 30% new content for all "ported" games. They pulled the same for Sakura Taisen 1&2. Sony of Japan and Sony of America have very different standards for what they allow, much to the jargon of many of us.

Oh and that Vic Ireland/Working Designs thing. But that was was when the PS(x) system was in a dominant position. The PS3 isn't in nearly as dominant a position and the PS3 is undead in the US though. Recently, SCEA waived the old dubbing thing for Yakuza games and approved the same broken Street Fighter HDR build that SCEE rejected.

edit: Sony has a minimum frame rate policy? Thinks back to Crysis 2 and Borderlands, I'm guessing that rarely gets enforced for big titles.

Dedication Through Light said:

Capcom USA isn't going to get a Tri port just so they can publish P3 in the west.

Nintendo likely has it locked up anyway, if Tri gets ported to anything it'll be 3DS.

DiscoJer

I'm sorry, but Aksys is publishing a visual novel/dating sim thing aimed at women on the PSP and Capcom won't publish probably the biggest PSP title there is? (While obviously it's not as big in the West, if you look at Gamefaqs, the board there for it is pretty crazy)

I'm not going to feel sorry for them if Sony won't allow them to publish it on the PS3 instead. If they want to be dicks about not supporting the PSP, then Sony can be dicks right back as far as I am concerned.

Don't get me started on RE PSP or that Megaman game they refuse to put up on PSN...

And that 30% policy was dropped years ago , as evidenced by the release of a Harvest Moon game that was a PS1 port. Besides, the 30% can be just anime cutscenes, which is how PoPoLoCrois and that Valkyrie Game got released.

If a company can't be bothered to add 15 minutes or so of anime cutscenes, they really don't have much interest in releasing the game...

Sony better bend over backwards for Capcom or MH 3rtG/4th might become exclusive to 3DS. At least SCEJ is allowing them to make it, but i think Capcom want MH to penetrate the Western audiences.

a1m

Banned
PSP Remasters where you have only 1 playthrough available and then the game deletes itself. Yeah, I trust Shitcom.

Takao

Banned
RurouniZel said:

Yes, I realize Sony has/had odd policies, but they have nothing to do with my post. My post was complaining about a PSP game that already received a North American UMD release, not getting a PSN release despite there being a PSN version in Japan. That's all Capcom's fault. Admittedly, Sony's port restrictions likely made it impossible for Megaman Legends, and 2 PSP Ports from coming over, but a non-existent PSone Classics release on PSN is once again Capcom's fault. They billed the faults as something else, and thus my opinion of Capcom is very low.

Special J

Banned
Billychu said:
I have trouble believing Sony is stopping Capcom from releasing what is essentially free money for them. So Japan and Europe are getting this game and not-OH MY GOD IT'S A CONSPIRACY. REGGIE!!!!!

Can we finally get an online Power Stone game? I would definitely double dip on that.

they cockblock the psp remaster market so that they get first dibs. its happened before and it wont be the last time sony does it.

a1m said:
PSP Remasters where you have only 1 playthrough available and then the game deletes itself. Yeah, I trust Shitcom.

that is just baseless and silly, mercs is a score attack and really nothing is gained from being able to delete the save.

I'm with TheSeks, get Breath of Fire 3 and 4 up on PSN and then I'll believe your little sob stories Capcom

That said I don't doubt SCEA has a ton of bullshit policies screwing me out of cool games behind the scenes

MightyKAC

Nothing about this story smells right.

For one all we have here is Capcom's side of things. There could be tons of reasonable things that are keeping Sony for green lighting this. What would be the reason for leaving that much potential money on the table? But until Sony makes its own statement (HIGHLY unlikely) we'll never know.

It seems strange how Japan can go out of their way to specifically announce a new product, just to have SCEA deny it from the US. (Cue NoA reference.) You would think that for something as recently-announced as the PSP Remasters program, all major branches of Sony would be holding the games to the same standards, not special standards for one region versus the others.

ReaperXL7

Damn, I would absolutely love to get a Breath of fire 3 psp remaster. Sadly due to it being sprite based it might not hold up aswell unless everything was redrawn, and it does not really even matter as Capcom seems to be fine with completely forgetting the BoF ever exsisted anyways.

It's not that big a deal I guess since I can always play my PS1 copy, but getting a complete remaster of the game for PS3 would be godly.

Pff, I'm sure Capcom USA would localize it and not release it on PSP (even if just PSN) despite being the exact same game.

And on the other side we have SCEA which probably thinks PSP remasters can only mean a God of War or a GTA Stories bundle.

Dunno how but I hope both get screwed.

Considering Monster Hunter 3rd on PSP and Ace Attorney Investigations 2 on DS and their American status...

Yeah, keep telling me your stories, Capcom.

mclem

Asked about Monster Hunter news in particular, Svensson reiterated that the issue is in Sony’s hands, but hinted that Capcom has an announcement forthcoming if nothing comes of negotiations.

Is that a veiled threat?

cvxfreak

Nirolak said:

It all seems to add up.

I disagree with this sentiment. I think it's Revelations myself. Operation Raccoon City contains little that indicates it was ever a handheld game, while Revelations was obviously designed from the beginning to be one.

Top Bottom