• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Interested In PSP Remasters For the U.S., Having Issues Getting Sony Approval

Shiggy

Wouldn't new games be even better than PSP Remasters? Looks like SCEA doesn't want to rip off its customers as much as SCEJ.

Akainu

How about releasing Monster Hunter 3rd before you worry about remastering it.

And why would anyone even mention Bof 3 I like it too but it's a port of a psone game.

French

Banned
Please release it in Europe, I want to play a MH game but I'm not interested in the PSP.

And adds trophies if possible.

duckroll

cvxfreak said:
I disagree with this sentiment. I think it's Revelations myself. Operation Raccoon City contains little that indicates it was ever a handheld game, while Revelations was obviously designed from the beginning to be one.

I don't think it's either. RE Portable never existed, and was just a power point slide. Just like DMC Portable. :p

Wazzim

Banned
Akainu said:
Haha so true, MHP3rd should have been released already. I don't understand what they're waiting for.

duckroll said:
I don't think it's either. RE Portable never existed, and was just a power point slide. Just like DMC Portable. :p
Don't say that.. :(

mclem

V_Ben said:
It does almost sound like a veiled threat, doesn't it?

"Nice gaming ecosystem you've got here. Very comfortable. Looks reasonably robust, too. It'd be a pity if something were to happen to it, wouldn't it? If someone were to, I dunno, make an announcement. That'd be a terrible shame."

BooJoh

Akainu said:
I think that's kinda the point. PSP games aren't profitable enough in the west for them to localize MHP3rd on PSP, but if they put it on PS3 then it will magically be successful or something... I really don't know.

I've gotten so tired of waiting for an announcement regarding 3rd that I've basically written it off. Unfortunately, not everyone who's forgotten about it by now will still buy it if they release it, like I will. I feel like Capcom has taken a struggling franchise and by mishandling it ensured that even if 3rd comes out in the west, it could perform so poorly that they never release another MH title in English.

I honestly see SCEA's issue more so dealing with the lack of trophies and using Ad-Hoc for online play (especially for a game that never had its PSP version released stateside). If Capcom made it utilize the PSN without Ad-Hoc and included trophies (since the PSP one isn't coming stateside), I could see SCEA working it out.

was there any problems with the psp powerstone ports like framerates or collisions? the thought of a dc to psp to ps3 port of those games seems like something will go funny somewhere.

faridmon

I really dislike the whole remasterd business. If you want to play a game on the PSP buy teh system. Now it makes me feel bad I bought those collections because they are going to release them anyways on the consoles.

For the record, I love the PSP, but they could have poured all those remastered energy into more useful things. But thats my take on it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Maybe Capcom want the PS Vita carts to have only 1 locked undeletable save file on them. Imagine how much more Monster Hunter that would sell!

I hope 3rd does get brought over somehow though as I really liked Tri on the Wii and I need those dual analog controls again!

MoxManiac

Billychu said:
I have trouble believing Sony is stopping Capcom from releasing what is essentially free money for them. So Japan and Europe are getting this game and not-OH MY GOD IT'S A CONSPIRACY. REGGIE!!!!!

Can we finally get an online Power Stone game? I would definitely double dip on that.

Uh...you are aware that SCEA has a very long standing history of cockblocking Capcom's stuff since the PS1 days, right? Capcom is likely telling the truth here.

MoxManiac said:
Uh...you are aware that SCEA has a very long standing history of cockblocking Capcom's stuff since the PS1 days, right? Capcom is likely telling the truth here.

Yeah - whatever Sven's honesty issues regarding Okamiden's sales, SCEA has a long, long history of obnoxiously restrictive approval policies for retail games (particularly ports) that they deem not technically up to par with the standards of the platform they're on. This is in no way out of character for them.

Ellis Kim

Banned
I imagine that some of this cockblocking is because SCEA doesn't want third-tier (sales/popularity-wise) PSP remasters in their territory.

Having said that... SEGA BETTER BE ALL UP IN THIS SHIT FOR A VALKYRIA CHRONICLES 2+3 HD RELEASE, GRRRRR!

Nirolak said:
Sven has honesty issues in general though.

If we can get someone else to say it, I'll be more believing.

Like I'm sure this Monster Hunter issue isn't all that it seems to be.

They maintained early on that the PSP game was a collaboration between Sony and Capcom, so it's hard to imagine that it became a PS3/360 game. Especially since it's possible that Sony was funding it on some level. I think another possibility is that the game was moved to the Vita. It was announced in 09 and the PSP was already essentially dead in the west by then. It would make a lot more sense to put it on the Vita as it would at least have a chance of making some sort of impact on the platform.

SykoTech

Can't think of much that I would want from Capcom (already played the old Power Stones to death). I hope Sega and Square don't run into problems though.

FoneBone

Could somebody clarify the Okamiden "honesty issues" thing? I mean, I see it cited repeatedly, but I haven't seen any coherent reason for it to be a lie, other than a sinister conspiracy to, um, hurt Ace Attorney fans' feelings.

Watch this argument turn out to be that SCEA wants them to release it on the PSP in the west - because they probably want that system to last - and Capcom doesn't want to. So SCEA's not being receptive to Capcom's plans.

androvsky

Phoenix_Apollo said:
Watch this argument turn out to be that SCEA wants them to release it on the PSP in the west - because they probably want that system to last - and Capcom doesn't want to. So SCEA's not being receptive to Capcom's plans.
Considering the lengths Capcom will go to in the name of preventing piracy on other platforms, that's entirely possible.

Lesiroth

Ellis Kim said:
I imagine that some of this cockblocking is because SCEA doesn't want third-tier (sales/popularity-wise) PSP remasters in their territory.

Having said that... SEGA BETTER BE ALL UP IN THIS SHIT FOR A VALKYRIA CHRONICLES 2+3 HD RELEASE, GRRRRR!
A direct HD remastering of VC2 would be pretty bad honestly, the game needs a lot more changes than just better graphics. In a dream world, Sega would release a Valkyria Chronicles trilogy just in time for the launch of the Vita, maybe have it cross-platform with PS3 too.

V_Ben

Banned
Phoenix_Apollo said:

Alternatively, watch it turn out that SCEA wants these remasters to work on the Vita too, and Capcom wants people to rebuy them for the new system.

Orayn

androvsky said:
Considering the lengths Capcom will go to in the name of preventing piracy on other platforms, that's entirely possible.
I don't blame them for that, at least in the context of the PSP. That system is not in a good place right now. Like the Wii and DS, it's approaching officially-endorsed "out of pasture" status.

Lesiroth

Orayn said:
I don't blame them for that, at least in the context of the PSP. That system is not in a good place right now. Like the Wii and DS, it's approaching officially-endorsed "out of pasture" status.
That may be so, but if they're getting MHP3rd HD in English, at least put the PSP localized version up on PSN so that Vita owners can play it too.

Orayn

Lesiroth said:
That may be so, but if they're getting MHP3rd HD in English, at least put the PSP localized version up on PSN so that Vita owners can play it too.
If I recall, Capcom USA alluded to having reservations about MHP3rd at retail for the PSP, so a PSN-only release on the PSP + PSVita would make perfect sense.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
the chris said:
Socom...wait a second.
animationc.png

deim0s

Lesiroth said:
A direct HD remastering of VC2 would be pretty bad honestly, the game needs a lot more changes than just better graphics. In a dream world, Sega would release a Valkyria Chronicles trilogy just in time for the launch of the Vita, maybe have it cross-platform with PS3 too.

All Sega needs to do is delete Avan's laugh sound file. ;)

I would be happy if they did all three with Vita compatibility, would double dip on 1 and 2.

matmanx1

FoneBone said:
Could somebody clarify the Okamiden "honesty issues" thing? I mean, I see it cited repeatedly, but I haven't seen any coherent reason for it to be a lie, other than a sinister conspiracy to, um, hurt Ace Attorney fans' feelings.

I second this notion. What exactly was said?

Also, I'd play the poop out of an HD MonHun game on my PS3 should Capcom deign to bring one over to us. Just sayin.

V_Ben said:
Alternatively, watch it turn out that SCEA wants these remasters to work on the Vita too, and Capcom wants people to rebuy them for the new system.

I figured that was a given, since they're just using the PSP code and running it on the PS3 using an emulator or whatever they did to make the minis run on PS3 and PSP.

yurinka

-Megaman Powered Up + Megaman Maverick Hunter X + Megaman Legends + Megaman Legends 2 + Megaman Legends 3
-Ultimate Ghost & Goblins + Castlevania Symphony of the Night + Castlevania Rondo of Blood
-Darkstalkers Chronicles + SFA3 Upper
-Monster Hunter Portable + MHP2ndG + MHP3rd
-Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded + Capcom Classics Collection Remixed + Capcom Puzzle World

All games including a $50 DLC to reset your savefile, $30 for a new character wallpaper and $40 to play offline. And $10M to unlock Dead Rising 1, Monster Hunter 3 and Dead Rising 2 DLC.

hikarutilmitt said:
I figured that was a given, since they're just using the PSP code and running it on the PS3 using an emulator or whatever they did to make the minis run on PS3 and PSP.
When they showcased MHP3rd they mentioned 2nd analog support for camera and higher screen resolution. Who knows, it would make sense that Vita and PS3 would share a compatible emulator.

Orayn said:
If I recall, Capcom USA alluded to having reservations about MHP3rd at retail for the PSP, so a PSN-only release on the PSP + PSVita would make perfect sense.
Wii version was the only one that did a decent job in the west.

Here in Europe Wii has a lot of piracy, so this proves that Nintendo knew how to sell it here, unlike Capcom.

It's a marketing problem, not a piracy problem.

TxdoHawk

Oh, great. The Monster Hunter remaster is one of a few big reasons why I finally decided to re-buy a PS3, so hearing this does not please me in the least.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Sony sucks when they're in power, they block 3rd party games like a total asshole. Nintendo sucks when they're in power, they block 1st party games like a total asshole. I shudder to think what Microsoft would do in a position of power.

Why? XBLA has played host to a lot of wonderful, quirky stuff. As far as disc releases, The only problem along these lines I can think of is the fiasco involving Arcana Heart 3 in the US.

Takao

Banned
yurinka said:
-Megaman Powered Up + Megaman Maverick Hunter X + Megaman Legends + Megaman Legends 2 + Megaman Legends 3
-Ultimate Ghost & Goblins + Castlevania Symphony of the Night + Castlevania Rondo of Blood
-Darkstalkers Chronicles + SFA3 Upper
-Monster Hunter Portable + MHP2ndG + MHP3rd
-Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded + Capcom Classics Collection Remixed + Capcom Puzzle World

This joke was never funny.

TxdoHawk said:
Why? XBLA has played host to a lot of wonderful, quirky stuff. As far as disc releases, The only problem along these lines I can think of is the fiasco involving Arcana Heart 3 in the US.

They require 50k print runs for all 360 retail releases. Makes it impossible for niche publishers to work on 360. As well, they won't allow larger size games to be on XBLA so that things that were retail in another country, can't be XBLA-only in another (Cave games are a special case).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Takao said:
They require 50k print runs for all 360 retail releases.

Hey, I'm one of the 50K owners of Operation Darkness, don't hate!
I actually kinda enjoyed the little I played before my 360 died. Haters gonna hate.

Takao

Banned
TheSeks said:
Hey, I'm one of the 50K owners of Operation Darkness, don't hate!
I actually kinda enjoyed the little I played before my 360 died. Haters gonna hate.

lol A few of my local stores still have copies of that Zoids game Atlus published.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Takao said:
lol A few of my local stores still have copies of that Zoids game Atlus published.

I got Op Darkness for $10 at Best Buy, so I won in the end. It was one of the games someone I know in Japan was playing and the pretense sounded interesting so I wanted it. I'm glad Atlus brought it, even if it wasn't truly great.

I have seen the Zoids game in video stores before they all died around here. Was it that bad?

Top Bottom