• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom is working on a Resident Evil 4 remake

SuperGooey

Except that it's not a survival horror at all, same goes for RE5 and RE6. It's about time to finally change that.
RE4 is an evolution of survival-horror.

That doesn't mean it's better or worse, but survival and horror are big aspects of RE4. People love to pretend RE4 is nothing more than a shooter, but go back to it. The village is soaked in atmosphere, knowing the map layout is important to survival, and while it is a different type of horror than say RE1, the Dr. Salvador, the dog maze, and the Regeneradors strike far more fear in me than Mr. X, Nemesis or generic zombies.

How anyone can argue that RE4 is NOT survival-horror, but RE3 (classic or remake) is is completely beyond me. A lot of mental gymnastics are involved.

SushiReese

They will remake village session to a QTE CG cut-scene, using RE7 asset remake the lake, cut castle session and expand the boring mine and island to super-futurist lab nobody ask for.
And Ashley and Louis would only show up in the cutscence, but re-imagine ADA campaign to a 20 minute playable session added in the formal game so people could complain less.
Also come with a "free" outsourced muti-player RE games to replace mercenary mode.
That's how I feel about the RE3 remake.

Last edited:
RE4 was my favourite. I can play it many times just for fun. I think RE4 need some improvement with modern graphic, AI, control, better remake for next gen console.

Not fan of long running Castle/Iseland segment though.

DavJay

Amazing news. Remake it with better graphic and I’ll be happy. Keep all game mode and use new ada model and we have the goat 🐐 remake

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
That doesn't mean it's better or worse, but survival and horror are big aspects of RE4.
Yeah, I totally agree that inventory management is a big aspect of this game.

People love to pretend RE4 is nothing more than a shooter, but go back to it. The village is soaked in atmosphere, knowing the map layout is important to survival, and while it is a different type of horror than say RE1, the Dr. Salvador, the dog maze, and the Regeneradors strike far more fear in me than Mr. X, Nemesis or generic zombies.
Speak for yourself, mate.

How anyone can argue that RE4 is NOT survival-horror, but RE3 (classic or remake) is is completely beyond me. A lot of mental gymnastics are involved.
I haven't played original RE3 on PS1, but RE3 Remake is definitely feels more like a survival horror game and close to RE2 remake, it's just there's more actions scenes in it and it's more fast paced cuz you don't have all time in the world to explore Racoon City and Police Station (or anything else) for hours and hours without moving forward. I mean, there's a fuckin' nuke flying towards the city to destroy it and you need to get the fuck out while you still can and fast. I've finished this game 2 times already and never EVER even once thought that "damn, it's action game again just like RE4-6 and I don't like it".

I'm also not pretend to call RE4 nothing more but TPS action game, cuz it goddamn is and I'm telling you how I feel about it after playing and finishing it multiple times over the last ~15 years. I feared nothing in RE4 and laughed hard at some very silly QTE moments which should not have been in this game in the first place. All regular enemies in this game is nothing more but cannon fodder (like in RE5-6) which is a lot more annoying than scary. Main villains are also laughable, boring and a bunch of clowns. Story is not better, not connected in any signifiant way to RE2 and RE3 narratively, in terms of continuations of storylines and personal character stories from these games aswell.

I mean, don't think that I don't like or even hate this game, cuz I don't, it's a good game in its own right but it sure as hell not survival horror and not RE game, same goes for RE5-6. RE7 is also not RE game in my eyes but it feels like survival horror game way more than RE4-6.

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

RE4 revolutionised TPS games and influenced a shit ton of devs and their games all over the world, but saying that it's an evoution of horror ganre is one of the stupidest things I've heard in years. What it did is killed traditional big budget survival horror games (and RE series for that matter) for almost 14 years to come. RE2 in 2019 brought this series back to it's roots, RE3 this year followed up on that and I sure hope that RE4 Remake will do the same cuz the last thing I wan't now is to play this game for the most part unchanged and just with better GFX, cuz it won't make it better as a survival game and as RE game.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Ya I don't like this. If they're gonna do it with resident Evil remake 2 controls then I guess but the plot of 4 is rather silly but that's why I love it.

They're in a difficult spot with this one if they try it.

I'll wait to see more of it comes.

Also they won't do code Veronica X because nobody cares about the game sorry.

ruvikx

Banned
Except that it's not a survival horror at all, same goes for RE5 and RE6. It's about time to finally change that.

But it is survival horror, i.e. item management, collecting herbs & carefully choosing which weapons to use/upgrade is key to completing the game, especially when played on hard. I don't get the constant attempts by some to insert an "elitist" definition of survival horror, especially when we're talking about RE4. If you don't get good with the knife in the early hours, you run out of items real fast. That seems pretty much "survival" to me.

As for the remake news, it's exactly what I wanted. People can bitch & moan in their own little corner of the internet, but along with Elder Scrolls VI this would be my most anticipated game of next gen.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
tenor.gif
I'm gonna @ you when you buy it and link it to this post.

Moses85

Cant imagine to see this shit launching again. This game is the biggest slut the videogame industry ever saw. From a GCN exclusive to a release everywhere except a calculator.

RE3Remake was cut in half (Content wise) how will M-Two rape a remake of Resident Evil 4?

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Resident evil 4 is still so good that it doesnt need to be remade though, unless they completely change it up for the better and add in more things and taker certain things out like the length of the castle
I know that, but the same can be said about some of other remakes, especially about modern movie remakes. If there's a good chance of being financialy succe$$$ful then many companies will still try it.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
But it is survival horror, i.e. item management, collecting herbs & carefully choosing which weapons to use/upgrade is key to completing the game, especially when played on hard.
It is not horror in the slightest, it's an action game with survival elements at best.

If you don't get good with the knife in the early hours, you run out of items real fast. That seems pretty much "survival" to me.
If you don't get good in shooting things in game were you're shoot things, you'll run out of bullets and then you can pretty much call almost every action game a survival game. It just makes no sense. It's not just about item management, crafting etc. the game itself also must feel like survival horror and not just incredibly silly and absurd B-movie like action game (with over the top cut-scenes, QTEs etc.) and that's what RE4 is in comparison to RE1-3 even more so now than ever before and after remakes of RE2 and RE3.

Enemies also must bring terror and horror to the game to complement its atmosphere, add more tension, anxiety and to make you fear them and shit your pants. RE4 just fails to do that in my eyes, moreover it wasn't designed as a traditional survival horror game and more focus on action and cannon fodder-like enemies basically confirms it. You don't fear lickers in RE5 (for example) or hunters in Revelations, cuz there's a lot more of them on the screen and you can kill them very fast, but you do fear lickers in RE2 and hunters in RE3 cuz there's not a lot of them and they're a lot more dangerous in tight spaces and can kill you very fast if they'll get too close.

As someone already mentioned here, gameplay in RE4 is also very outdated (which also can be said about RE5) so they absolutely need to remake this game and bring it to modern standards of RE2 and RE3 gameplay-wise too.

Last edited:

Moses85

It is not horror in the slightest, it's an action game with survival elements at best.

If you don't get good in shooting things in game were you're shoot things, you'll run out of bullets and then you can pretty much call almost every action game a survival game. It just makes no sense. It's not just about item management, crafting etc. the game itself also must feel like survival horror and not just incredibly silly and absurd B-movie like action game (with over the top cut-scenes, QTEs etc.) and that's what RE4 is in comparison to RE1-3 even more so now than ever before and after remakes of RE2 and RE3.

Enemies also must bring terror and horror to the game to complement its atmosphere, add more tension, anxiety and to make you fear them and shit your pants. RE4 just fails to do that in my eyes, moreover it wasn't designed as a traditional survival horror game and more focus on action and cannon fodder-like enemies basically confirms it. You don't fear lickers in RE5 (for example) or hunters in Revelations, cuz there's a lot more of them on the screen and you can kill them very fast, but you do fear lickers in RE2 and hunters in RE3 cuz there's not a lot of them and they're a lot more dangerous in tight spaces and can kill you very fast if they'll get too close.

As someone already mentioned here, gameplay in RE4 is also very outdated (which also can be said about RE5) so they absolutely need to remake this game and bring it to modern standards of RE2 and RE3 gameplay-wise too.

Thanks, you nailed it!

Labolas

Why? They're wasting time and money on something that doesn't need to be remade. It's a relatively modern game and that is looked at as being one of the best RE games ever. This is going ultimately piss RE4 fans off and they'll lose money.

Here's a suggestion: fucking remake Dino Crisis w/the RE Engine. The game desperately needs to be remade. Capcom thinks it won't sell but it will. Give it the dev time you guys gave to the current RE games and you will make money. And fyi I don't really love the RE engine but if there's one game that needs it that's one.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Ditto here.
I thought I was the only who loved the original Revelations and hated Revelations 2.
I don't even know what Revelations 2 was supposed to be. It was like a halfassed RE6 with shitty graphics.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
So, will they eventually redo Resident Evil 5, even though it was released only during the previous generation?
The released Resident Evil for the Playstation, Saturn, then did Director's Cut, then remade it for the Gamecube, then ported it to the DS. And by the time an RE5 remake would be coming out, PS3/360 will have been two generations back.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
There are a lot of of core aspects of the traditional RE found in RE4. The changes in RE4 came with enemies who act as ammo reservoirs and a combat system that can be used more accurately. The fact you can’t just instant kill villagers. They have similar human tendencies as the zombies roaming the Spencer Mansion and Racoon City. You have numerous encounters while trying to unlock doors and solve puzzles. You can run out of items just as any other survival horror game and be screwed. 5 & 6 were created after RE4’s success. RE4 made movement and shooting better without becoming a snappy action game.

I feel like not recognizing RE4 as a survival horror game is crazy.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned

That doesn't mean it's better or worse, but survival and horror are big aspects of RE4. People love to pretend RE4 is nothing more than a shooter, but go back to it. The village is soaked in atmosphere, knowing the map layout is important to survival, and while it is a different type of horror than say RE1, the Dr. Salvador, the dog maze, and the Regeneradors strike far more fear in me than Mr. X, Nemesis or generic zombies.

I'll give you the regenerators, but anything else is not scary. I blame the open environments and the Granados which basically looked like angry cultists, rather than undead monsters. For some this make them more creepy, for me it was meh at best.

Yeah, the game has atmosphere and there *are* some points where things get tense (Ashley with Armors and Regenerators) but overall the game is an action game.

I think a remake will benefit it, especially if they up the horror and stress aspects.

RSB

Banned
They decided not to REmake RE2 and instead gave us a safe and boring reimagining with OTS camera and shallow combat (compared to RE4-6) so it's only fair they now make a reimagining of RE4 in the classic style with tank controls and fixed camera angles.

Seriously though, after RE2 and 3 I can't imagine Capcom not fucking it up, unless they go with just a graphical make-over (like H2 Anniversary or SOTC)

Roni

Gold Member
As a survival horror game, I hate RE4. As an action game, I love RE4.

Hopefully they can find a better balance between the two in this remake. If one game needs its story scrapped and rewritten, it's definitely RE4. Salazar is even worse than Wesker in 5... So here's a chance to do just that. The writing has been much better in these remakes, so I have a good feeling about it.

And while the remakes do feature puzzles, which is already better than what we got in latter parts of the series back before 7 was a thing, we need better puzzles. They should definitely look at Silent Hill's setup of being able to choose puzzle difficulty and combat difficulty separately.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Seriously though, after RE2 and 3 I can't imagine Capcom not fucking it up, unless they go with just a graphical make-over (like H2 Anniversary or SOTC)

Your mileage may vary. I consider both REmakes amazing, so I cannot wait to see what Capcom will do with RE4.

WolfusFh

I would rather see the remake of code veronica, since it is pretty relevant to the plot of the series. First time seeing Wesker "reborn" and Chris and Claire reunited.

Honestly, prior to remaking 4, it would be better to make the extra stories of umbrella and darkside chronicles as 2 extra games, with Jill and Chris taking down umbrella, Wesker's part and Leon's first missions as a government agent.

This game really doesn’t need it the gameplay and graphics hold up really really well.

I don’t get the complaints on the controls, maybe because I played MGS3 before trying RE4 but I thought type 3 was quite sensible and suited the gameplay style.

I’m worried they’ll change up the gameplay too much. I’ve only played RE2 remake and RE4 and 4 was by far my favorite, glad we’re returning to Leon tho

Last edited:

Paracelsus

RE4 is timeless, so I can only see two reasons to remake it:
1. Stick it to the guy that remade all the textures
2. Undo the biggest mistake in the saga: plagas, ganados, majini etc. Anything human and still mostly alive attacking you has to go and has to go for good.

It'll be 3, they will add more supernatural psychedelic bs like RE7 and RE8.

RSB

Banned
Your mileage may vary. I consider both REmakes amazing, so I cannot wait to see what Capcom will do with RE4.
Both REmakes? As far as I know, there's only one REmake.

I guess you mean the reimaginings of RE2 and 3 that were released recently. Personally I quite enjoyed them, but I also consider both to be disappointing.

Compared to the classics they are lacking in many ways (cut content, uninspired art direction, no fixed cameras...) and compared to other OTS RE games (RE4-6 mainly) they have disappointingly shallow combat.

They both disappointed me in a similar way Revelations 1 and 2 did; not good enough at recreating the awesome feel of classic RE, and not good enough at having fun third person combat mechanics like RE4-6.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the boring realistic look Capcom is obsessed with now (I much prefer the more stylized look the characters had in previous games)

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If they do remake 4 and skip Code V
That basically confirms Code Veronica is not cannon.

makaveli60

I was hoping for Code Veronica, I never understood the hype for RE4. IMO it's the most overrated game ever by far. Although with modern gameplay I think I will like it more, but still... I need a CV remake, it's perhaps my favorite of the franchise.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Mikami says RE4 is survival horror. He invented the term, not us.
We have a term for that in Greece. We say 'Baptizing a fish as beef doesn't make it so'. Mikami can say whatever the hell he wants (which of course should be taken under consideration that this could be a bullshit PR statement he said back then in order not to push away the horror affectionados with the vertical slice of the game they saw in the earlier trailers). When WE say survival horror, everyone here knows what WE mean, and RE4 is not survival horror according to what WE define as survival horror.

I mean, go to the PS Store and see what kind of games they have under 'Role Playing Game'. If you don't want to bash your head on a wall afterwards, I don't know what to tell you.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
RE4 is definitely a Horror game.
Just look at the events that take place.
It was just a normal Sunday in a quiet European village.
Everybody was getting ready to go to bingo until some maniac turns up and starts raiding their houses and suplexing everyones heads off.
Not even the small village army could stop this monster armed to the teeth with military grade weapons and roundhouse kicks that can make your head explode.
And after he was done with the people of the village he moved on to the monastery and murdered the defenceless Monks.
He didn't even spare the dwaf.
As I said definitely a Horror game.. 🤔

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Mikami says RE4 is survival horror. He invented the term, not us.
Well, I'd say his wrong cuz there's absolutely nothing to be scared about in RE4 cuz it's not a true horror game and I've explained already why is that.

There are a lot of of core aspects of the traditional RE found in RE4.
And yet, horror aspect (which is a lot more important) is completely missing.

RE4 made movement and shooting better without becoming a snappy action game.
But it's an action game, just like RE5-6.

I feel like not recognizing RE4 as a survival horror game is crazy.
If a game and enemies don't scare you like they should in true horror games, then there's nothing in the game that should be recognized as horror. I honestly don't even know how stupid cultists and villagers with parasites can scare anyone, let alone boring villains.

Arachnid

I disagree. Survival is the goal in most video games. That doesn't make every game with a horror slant survival horror ('scary' is subjective). Survival horror is defined by more than the two words in the genre title, after all. I don't mean that as an insult to RE4 (it's my favorite game of all time, and I'm not exaggerating when I say I've beaten it more than a hundred times; and that was before all the ports lol). RE4 is horror action like Dead Space (RE4 is one of the games that made that genre title a thing due to its departure from normal survival horror aspects).

The point of survival horror is to have a lack in control due to severe resource limitation (yeah, you've got the attache case but the game threw ammo and health at you excessively; IMO the case functioned more as a fun little mini game since I almost never had to leave resources behind despite their abundance so there was no rationing) and player gameplay obstructions (RE4 is much more control accessible than prior games due to focus on combat). Survival horror can feature combat, but that's not meant to be the focus like it is in horror action games (SH should actually de-emphasize combat in favor of evasion). SH also features more labyrinthian environments the player has to navigate by slowly expanding through finding and using key items (RE4 was mostly linear as opposed to mazelike, shown by the fact that it's cut into levels/acts; it did have a few light moments where you had to find an emblem for an indentation but this was rare and usually a short linear segment away with minimal backtacking). Knowing the layout of an arena to develop a running rotation while you fight doesn't equate to that (I definitely wouldn't call it an evolution of labyrinthian design).

I will say though that the puzzle aspect (a big part of survival horror) was fine. Most of the puzzles were a joke, but there were a few pretty good and even difficult ones like Ashleys tile puzzle or the outside church dial puzzle. I'll also say that a lot of those genre aspects can sometimes be fluid (like Silent Hill 2 has plenty of backtracking and mazelike sections, but it does also throw you into spatially nonsensical linear sections to give a feeling of discomfort; like when you spend a level constantly descending stairs to depths that don't make sense). It's all in the games philosophy and tone. RE4 focuses on combat and shooting. You feel in control, badass, and capable, and most of the combat sections (while they are the definition of tense) are either encouraged or forced to continue (you walk into an arena, and 20 mob enemies spawn including a chainsaw wielding ganado you have to beat to pass).

IMO the best example of survival horror in recent years is Alien Isolation. Most of your tools are meant to help you evade enemies and sneak through a well thought out map (Sevastopol is labyrinthian in nature with tons of backtracking to expand prior areas with new tools and keys). Combat is heavily discouraged since it brings an invincible one hit kill monster to your position (though you can also use this to your advantage by drawing the monster to clear an area of human enemies for you). Every section of the game functions as a mini-puzzle you have to traverse (do I want to turn off the air purification system to make myself harder to see or do I want to turn on the speaker system in this room to draw the enemy out of my path; should I sneak past the humans or use the Xeno to clear the area and sneak past it; these Working Joes are resistant to EMPs, better approach this differently; I want to use my motion tracker to see where the Xeno is, but the Xeno can hear the beeping it makes). Resources are scarce (especially in higher difficulties) and every individual enemy is a threat that can end you (one of the most difficult horror games I've ever played; even in normal difficulties). You never feel in control of a situation (movement is slow and loud, shooting is difficult and unwieldy, enemies are accurate and lethal). Contrast that with Leon grouping up enemies so his roundhouse kick connects with everyone or him using an arsenal to blow away mobs. The difference in focus is key.

EDIT:
tl:dr chicago typewriter go brrwrrwwrrr

Last edited:

Kolumbo

Banned
It really doesn't make sense. Resident evil 4 is still a very good looking game and it's mechanics are not yet too dated. And also it has been ported to every concieveable platform and it got many HD treatments, so I really don't see the point. I guess Capcom would like to be called Crapcom again.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Well, I'd say his wrong cuz there's absolutely nothing to be scared about in RE4 cuz it's not a true horror game and I've explained already why is that.

If a game and enemies don't scare you like they should in true horror games, then there's nothing in the game that should be recognized as horror. I honestly don't even know how stupid cultists and villagers with parasites can scare anyone, let alone boring villains.

Allí está! - There (he/she) is!

Os voy a romper a pedazos! - I'm going to break you to pieces!

Te voy a matar! - I am going to kill you!

Dogs and humans turning into parasites. Burning men at the stake while villagers roam around the map completely void of emotion.

What about the Regenerator?

regenerator.png

He will walk slowly down hallways or follow you around. You have to kill the parasites inside him.

What about the infamous Chainsaw Man? The character follows you with a chainsaw and wears a burlap sack on top his head. What franchise did a man and a chainsaw become famous? The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which is a horror film.

Let's not forget that you have to press a button and a direction in order to turn around completely. You also can't just freely walk up ladders, push objects, or run and gun. You have to plan out each attack, when to reload, and pace yourself. You aren't running around endlessly shooting. You aren't clearing out enemies by quickly swapping weapons. You're managing your inventory. You have to stop to swing your knife. Which all and all is a lot like the first couple games. This is what we see RE2 and RE3 Remake turn into. If anything, the newer remakes make it more of an action game because Leon had restrictive movements in a lot of different scenarios. RE6 is more action based due to the characters movements and how items were managed. As well as the flow of combat. In RE4, if you wanted to take out a group of enemies.. you had to plan your shot, your ammo, and the distance between you and escaping. You couldn't just wing it and know that the last shot you did is a guaranteed critical shot that downs the enemy.

SuperGooey

I haven't played original RE3 on PS1, but RE3 Remake is definitely feels more like a survival horror game and close to RE2 remake, it's just there's more actions scenes in it and it's more fast paced cuz you don't have all time in the world to explore Racoon City and Police Station (or anything else) for hours and hours without moving forward. I mean, there's a fuckin' nuke flying towards the city to destroy it and you need to get the fuck out while you still can and fast. I've finished this game 2 times already and never EVER even once thought that "damn, it's action game again just like RE4-6 and I don't like it".
Well, what makes up a survival horror game from a gameplay perspective?

Puzzles? Limited ammo and resources? Routing a path from one side of the map to the other? I'd say RE3R is lacking in all of these. RE4 at least has more puzzles and exploration to break up the pacing, giving you more time to soak in some environments.

All regular enemies in this game is nothing more but cannon fodder (like in RE5-6) which is a lot more annoying than scary. Main villains are also laughable, boring and a bunch of clowns. Story is not better, not connected in any signifiant way to RE2 and RE3 narratively, in terms of continuations of storylines and personal character stories from these games aswell.
RE4's enemy variety is huge, and even the "canon fodder" hits hard and requires about as many bullets to take down as a zombie. Plus, you're worrying about Dr. Salvador as you take out ganado, so this makes regualr enemies and even bigger thread if they impede your way as you try to escape the chainsaw guy.

I love the villains in RE4! Sure, they are hammy, but so is Wesker, Nikolai, Jack Baker, and definitely the reimagined Brian Irons in the RE3R.

As for the story, I think it has a major advantage in not being connected with Umbrella. RE0 and CV try to connect things with the other games while shoehorning Wesker in for some reason, and those stories are ultimately, imo, the most annoying stories in the series. At least RE4 is having fun with its stupidity.
RE4 revolutionised TPS games and influenced a shit ton of devs and their games all over the world, but saying that it's an evoution of horror ganre is one of the stupidest things I've heard in years. What it did is killed traditional big budget survival horror games (and RE series for that matter) for almost 14 years to come. RE2 in 2019 brought this series back to it's roots, RE3 this year followed up on that and I sure hope that RE4 Remake will do the same cuz the last thing I wan't now is to play this game for the most part unchanged and just with better GFX, cuz it won't make it better as a survival game and as RE game.
RE4 saved the series. Whether you like to hear the facts or not, Capcom was going to shelve the RE series forever after the commercial failure of REmake and RE0 on the GameCube. In addition to that, the RE team was bored working on RE games, and they would constantly request being taken off of RE projects to work on other Capcom games. Shinji Mikami knew this, and that's what inspired the direction of RE4, which is the reason the series is still going strong today.

What is interesting to note is that you can very much still see the influence of RE4 in these remakes with the over the shoulder perspective.
----

Arachnid Arachnid Good points! "Action-horror" is the better term to describe RE4, but, at the time, that's the shot in the leg that survival-horror needed since it was a dying genre. Today, horror is strong and well, and I think it got back to the point because of both low-budget indie games, but also incorporate elements of RE4 (which we even see in RE2, RE2R and RE3R).

Now would be a great time to go back to oldschool, fixed-camera/tank controlled survival-horror. Unfortunately, I don't think modern Capcom will ever commit to that until we see indie or AAA games show that that style can be lucrative today. I'm hoping Alisa: The Awakening will be that game because, based on the beta, I can tell you that no modern RE remake or first-person RE plays quite like the good ol' fixed camera games.

Last edited:

dan76

Who cares if RE4 is survival horror or not, it's a great game and with a new lick of paint it could be even better. The one thing that will be changed is the controls, though I think making it similar to RE3make won't hurt the game too much (personally I'm a fan to the stop and shoot method, but the slow moving and lack of prescision in the recent games is a good compromise).

Also, if the term survival horror depends on if a game is scary or not then REmake 2 & 3 werent survival horror either.

VGEsoterica

I wish they'd make the creepy, more supernatural RE 4 that was going to release before it was scrapped and turned into the RE 4 we have now. I'd love some of these alt universe games. RE 1.5, "creepy RE 4", etc

SuperGooey

I wish they'd make the creepy, more supernatural RE 4 that was going to release before it was scrapped and turned into the RE 4 we have now. I'd love some of these alt universe games. RE 1.5, "creepy RE 4", etc
That may be a bit redundant if the rumors of RE8 are true.

Romulus

More importantly:

Gematsu also heard from one source familiar with ongoings at Capcom about the development of a Resident Evil 4 remake at M-Two and a first-person Resident Evil 8 due out in 2021, as well as that Resident Evil 8 will feature PlayStation VR support like its predecessor.

Imo horror games without VR are a complete joke by comparison.

ruvikx

Banned

I've never been scared whilst playing a video game, i.e. what I do get is stress. I got stressful situations in RE4, loads of them. The boss fight against the "big cheese" when I was low on ammo & health. That was stressful as hell. The cabin ambush with Luis, that was also stressful. So your "scares" criteria for a survival horror is entirely subjective.

In Resident Evil 4, there's monsters, ammo management, item management, upgrades management, puzzles & enemies which require careful tactics to overcome. It's not a shooter. It's not an action game like God of War (despite the QTE's), so it survival horror? I'm not going to run around telling others what "survival horror" really is.

urmie

Perhaps due to sales of RE3, instead of CV, they are going for the sure hit of RE4 Remake, which I imagine it will be, especially on next-gen consoles. If RE4 Remake succeeds, then Code Veronica could be next. If you read some of the notes in RE3, they both elude to both CV and RE4 in some ways.

If you need your RE4 "Remake" fix, I'd recommened everyone check out http://www.re4hd.com. This dude has been putting Capcom's lazy "HD" port to shame. Beautiful work. On par with Black Mesa's efforts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom