• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Noel Brown banned from Pro Tour 2016

Crayolan

Some people in the other thread were saying there's no way to uphold a universal ban on a player, and while that's still true this probably does a lot to help that issue. Good on Capcom.

Boke1879

As someone mentioned above, EVO banning him is probably the bigger news.

Oh I agree. Mr Wizard, The Cannon's. Those are the movers and shakers of of the FGC. That's huge. Just hope it ripples out and all the other majors do the same.

The best way for the FGC to grow from this is to take this shit seriously and deal with it seriously.

It's hard to put this into words because I don't want to be misconstrued. I like what the FGC stands for, but in order for them to grow and really get to that next level they gotta start pushing all the BS out and taking it seriously.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Lifetime would be far nicer, but it's a start, at least.

I see this a lot but that wouldn't really be a good look.

This is pretty much the first time they have punished a player like this. As someone said, going from 0-100 on a player could backfire and give off the appearance that Capcom/Evo/etc don't believe in second chances. Yes, Noel has done stupid shit in the past but none of them did anything about it. That was their own fault as well.

So, this is good IMO. Set the stage. Hopefully the FGC starts to clean up its act.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
If she pressed charges, it would be felony sexual assault, just in case anyone was wondering. Grabbing someone's ass is not a cute flirting gesture, it's actually a serious crime. Not to mention him being a labeled a convicted sex offender, which is not something you want on your resume.

Now for CEO and other regional CPT tournaments so he can't play other titles there?

No it isn't. It should be far longer than it is.

Without precedent going for the super swift harsh penalty always comes with the possibility of backlash. Year ban and lifetime for any future violations is a win. From there the message is loud and clear to all players that you arent going to get away with this shit and we gave dude a warning so yall can't play dumb later.

I wish dude would shunned from the community as a whole in general. "Go practice in your room by yourself, no one wants to play with you."

Chun-Li

I like that he's banned from attending Evo. I feel like he should be more than just banned from competing in the CPT. It's not like he was in the middle of competition when the incident occurred. He was in the front as a spectator.

This is pretty much the first time they have punished a player like this. As someone said, going from 0-100 on a player could backfire and give off the appearance that Capcom/Evo/etc don't believe in second chances. Yes, Noel has done stupid shit in the past but none of them did anything about it. That was their own fault as well.

So, this is good IMO. Set the stage. Hopefully the FGC starts to clean up its act.
Yeah, this is my take.

"Look man, you do that shit one more time and you're out. And to make sure you understand we're serious, here's this."

Playsage

Lifetime ban is a little bit harsh imo.
I'd understand it for a second offense but, yeah, permabans are heavily supported here on Gaf and that feels really weird to me.

Obviously the guy got what he deserved (and he's probably going to deserve and get more, judging by the records)

Rocwell

Noel Brown just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Fighting Game culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Dota where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in the FGC, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the FGC, after hearing about this, is not going to want to sponsor Noel Brown, nor will they allow him to attend any tournaments. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Noel has alienated an entire community with this move.

Noel, publicly apologize and stop coaching Justin or you can kiss your fight money goodbye.

Aters

Good. He should have been banned permanently from events after this incident alone

noel-brown-o.gif

WTF? I really want to know the story behind this.

Edit: sounds like a typical trash talk fight.

entremet

I remember another Marvel player getting banned years ago. The Dark Prince was his name.

This was in the old school FGC days, tho.

Any oldsters remember him? This was when EVO was at Cal Poly Pomona.

smurfx

get some go again
So since it isn't explicitly stated in the title might be good to mention that part of his punishment is that any subsequent infraction is a lifetime ban. This dude has had countless issues over the years. Seems inevitable he'll be banned soon enough. And if he doesn't, then he wised up.

Permabans without heads up always seems odd to me, even if I agree with the idea that there should be no tolerance for this stuff.
he's not a great street fighter player so capcom banning him from the pro tour isn't much of a punishment. him being banned from evo is more of a punishment he is going to feel. if other majors banned him then he would get the message. he may be banned from the pro tour but he can still show up to the events and just enter marvel.

Lifetime ban is a little bit harsh imo.

Edit: Didnt read subsequent. Yeah if that happens again that could be a option.

Why should there be anything less than zero tolerance for a person that commits sexual assault at corporate sponsored event? Especially since this isn't the first time he's committed an assault.

he's not a great street fighter player so capcom banning him from the pro tour isn't much of a punishment. him being banned from evo is more of a punishment he is going to feel. if other majors banned him then he would get the message. he may be banned from the pro tour but he can still show up to the events and just enter marvel.

Yeah, I feel you on that. But by the same token, Capcom permabanning him isn't much worse, then. Capcom is just using him as an example for how they'll deal with these issues in future.

If TOs follow their lead, that's good shit.

WTF? I really want to know the story behind this.

iirc some guy had been heckling him all tournament and he just snapped after losing a set.

Guy clearly has serious anger issues. In 2013 he was arrested for domestic violence and people started calling him Noel "Chris" Brown.

Biolink

Noel Brown just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Fighting Game culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Dota where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in the FGC, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the FGC, after hearing about this, is not going to want to sponsor Noel Brown, nor will they allow him to attend any tournaments. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Noel has alienated an entire community with this move.

Noel, publicly apologize and stop coaching Justin or you can kiss your fight money goodbye.

Not really. He still has a lot of dickriders. More importantly he has the support of known people like Jwong, Flash, Marn, etc... They'll all do their best to rugsweep the situation because it's one of their boys.

Crocodile

I'm pleasantly surprised. I felt it was likely EVO would take action (which is probably a bigger deal) but I wasn't sure on Capcom. Good on them.

Should be lifetime, from everything FGC related.

No singular entity in the FGC (including Capcom) has the power to do that. This sends a good message to smaller TOs though.

Aalvi

Don't know much about the guy but having a first strike offense ban rather than a permanent ban from the get-go seems preferable since it gives room for the person to change behavior.

But if he's going around punching people and ass grabbing....this guy in particular might be appropriate to ban for life.

Boke1879

I remember another Marvel player getting banned years ago. The Dark Prince was his name.

This was the old school FGC days, tho.

Any oldsters remember him? This was when EVO was at Cal Poly Pomona.

Didn't he get banned for threatening to bring a gun to an event?

Daft Punk

Banned
Yeah, this is my take.

"Look man, you do that shit one more time and you're out. And to make sure you understand we're serious, here's this."

This is perfectly fine, yet some people in here are disappointed the man didn't get publicly executed on stage or something. This ban gives him a chance to clean up his act and redeem himself.

I agree with this, but then I'm a forgiving, "second chances" kind of guy. Give the guy a decent enough chance to turn things around with with his hobby on the line. If he does it again, drop that ban hammer down HARD!

Boke1879

So I guess he can still attend the CPT tourneys (save Evo & ComboBreaker, whose respective statements explicitly say he can't even attend) until his second strike where he gets perma'd?

CPT really only applies to SFV. He can still go to lets say. Final Round, but he can't register for Street fighter. He can still play Marvel or any other game there though.

It's why I keep saying I hope this is a ripple effect and actual TO's ban him.

Hex

Banned
For all the people asking about the perm who pretty much it is guaranteed know nothing about the story, the girl pretty much backed out of it saying it was just joking around.
I am glad that the TOs and Capcom are still reacting, but we know you hate Capcom and we know you are hard asses but know the story.
This is a great first step and a huge push in the right direction.

Kalopsia

Neo Member
Good on Capcom for dealing with this quickly. Hope other tournaments catch up on banning players for sexual harassment and other forms of harassment.

There's something cynical in me that says Noel is only being punished because he got caught on camera, though. I know a few people in the FGC who've faced harassment at high-profile events with very little repercussions for the harasser.

So I guess he can still attend the CPT tourneys (save Evo & ComboBreaker, whose respective statements explicitly say he can't even attend) until his second strike where he gets perma'd?

Capcom only has the power to ban him from tournament they run (online tournaments and CPT Regionals and Finals). Even if they perm'd him he could still attend tournaments but couldn't enter SFV tournaments. It's up to organizers of those tournaments to make the call on whether he can attend at all.

Gren

CPT really only applies to SFV. He can still go to lets say. Final Round, but he can't register for Street fighter. He can still play Marvel or any other game there though.

It's why I keep saying I hope this is a ripple effect and actual TO's ban him.

Capcom only has the power to ban him from tournament they run (online tournaments and CPT Regionals and Finals). Even if they perm'd him he could still attend tournaments but couldn't enter SFV tournaments. It's up to organizers of those tournaments to make the call on whether he can attend at all.

Ah, yeah. That makes sense.

But he's a "Top Player".
Fixed.
Not really. He still has a lot of dickriders. More importantly he has the support of known people like Jwong, Flash, Marn, etc... They'll all do their best to rugsweep the situation because it's one of their boys.
There not gonna be able to help him out with this. I can see Chris G trying to pull some shit but I can't see anyone come to his side. Justin isn't talking about it on Twitter.

Biolink

For all the people asking about the perm who pretty much it is guaranteed know nothing about the story, the girl pretty much backed out of it saying it was just joking around.
I am glad that the TOs and Capcom are still reacting, but we know you hate Capcom and we know you are hard asses but know the story.
This is a great first step and a huge push in the right direction.

She said they were joking around. She didn't make as a huge a fuss as she could have, and that's her being cool more than anything and not trying to blow it up into something more. She didn't say whether it was necessarily appropriate or not, but I'm leaning towards not.

Mod edit: That image contain personal info (phone number), let's not do that.

Top Bottom