• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Noel Brown banned from Pro Tour 2016

Boney

Banned
He should be lifetime banned. That should be the precedent for this type of shit.

Sexual harassment promotes the rape culture mentality that makes events like these uncomfortable for women. Why the hell would any event organizer allow someone who does this to come back and create a hostile atmosphere for other people, especially women?

Screw that. Make an example of him.
Can't speak for others but a lifetime ban would acknowledge that one is incapable of setting oneself straight and learn from mistakes. Same reason why murder in most cases shouldn't be a lifetime in prison.

Boke1879

He should be lifetime banned. That should be the precedent for this type of shit.

Sexual harassment promotes the rape culture mentality that makes events like these uncomfortable for women. Why the hell would any event organizer allow someone who does this to come back and create a hostile atmosphere for other people, especially women?

And they are making an example of him. He is being punished. I mean I agree he should be banned simply for all the shit he's done, but this is the first time any sort of discipline on a major scale has taken place.

This is probably a bad analogy and I'm sure I'll get called out as such, but lets say I'm caught driving drunk. My license isn't taken away forever for a first offense. I'm normally Temporarily banned from driving.

That's essentially what they are doing in this case. It's sets a precedent not only for this but for anything deemed wrong I assume. From fighting, to doing drugs at the venue etc.

Pretty much you fuck up once you're banned for a year and lose sponsorship. You fuck up in ANY way again and you're gone for good. I can't be against that precedent going forward.

Personally I think he should be gone because he's just a shitlord and does stupid shit

Riposte

I agree as well. I get this guy has a history and all, but the responses here are a bit too extreme really. A ban from the year's events is a pretty big blow. Let that punishment hit, see if it changes his behavior. If not, obviously, it's time to go permanent, but the intense bloodlust people have about this is a bit counterproductive, I think.

It's the general rule of the internet and news stories. Justice feels good, injustice is exciting, and bloodlust intoxicates you. Reading shit on the internet and getting mad about it is the most compelling form of entertainment we can provide ourselves; it being news just makes it more immersive. In order of less to more important it goes victim (source of anger), perpetrator (target of anger), and audience (feeling of anger). As much as we would like to focus on an objective assessment or tell ourselves that this is about far-reaching matters, our emotions are very demanding.

depths20XX

As much as I agree he should be banned for a year, I can't agree with this type of mindset. It assumes that people can never change from their past mistakes and should forever have their life ruined.

The fact that he hasn't issued an apology is certainly telling and he mostly seems to be trying to cover himself. I still have hope that he can change and learn from this punishment.

DONJONJ

Neo Member
Can someone explain the phone screenshots? Which one is which? How's he talking to? What's it about?

The ones in this thread are from Andre (the victim's boyfriend) posting the rest of the conversation between herself and Noel where she denies groping him; this was in response to Noel Brown having leaked a partial log of a private conversation between himself and the victim in order to "clear his name".

In the first place the conversations were supposed to be private and they consisted of her trying to appease Noel after the incident blew up to avoid stirring the hornet's nest, but instead Noel Brown leaked these conversations without asking for permission. Ironically they just make him look worse.

It assumes that people can never change from their past mistakes and should forever have their life ruined.

I don't think it should be lifetime either, but let's be real: his life isn't getting ruined, he just needs to find a different hobby.

I hope that if a situation like this comes up again (hopefully it doesn't, obviously), people get the necessary details first before jumping to conclusions. A lot of people were up in arms after only seeing the video.

Based off what I've seen though, the right decision has been made. Can't stand that dude anyway lol.

cordy

Banned
As someone on the outside who is friends with a few FGC people on facebook...

...There have been a lot of really gross reactions to this. And it's not the people I'm friends with but the people I see them engage with.

Such as theories that the girl only said it was wrong because she didn't want to be caught cheating and 'they were just drunk'. Some good stuff in there.

Ugh, disgusting but I can't say I'm surprised. Idk what it is but those types of comments and behavior seems like it "fits" within the FGC's underbelly. There's just something sinister about it. I don't know.

The community is. The FGC has had issues in the past with misogyny and its treatment of women and this is a great response in order to curb this behavior.

I work for Final Round and shit like this is completely unacceptable. The unfortunate reality is that there are creeps that attend these events and this is a great example of how to weed them out. Would it be better of things like this didn't happen? Yeah, yeah it would. But until we get there this is a great start down the road of the FGC policing itself and making sure EVERYONE feels safe at community events. Speaking personally I know that's what we strive for at Final Round as the core staff is family. Our wives and kids are involved in Final Round and over the years we've had all people of all walks of life and all orientation attend our events. Making sure the event is inclusive and that people feel safe is incredibly important to us.

Noel deserved this. Let's see if he learns.

Past

I don't think it should be lifetime either, but let's be real: his life isn't getting ruined, he just needs to find a different hobby.

This wasn't just a hobby though, he was doing this for a living. So yeah, he is kinda fucked.

vulva

This wasn't just a hobby though, he was doing this for a living. So yeah, he is kinda fucked.

Not to mention that if a future employer so much as googles him... (stolen from r/kappa)
ODHiOjp.png

DONJONJ

Neo Member

Making a living off fighting games is incredibly difficult, and Ultra Arcade would at best cover Noel for travel/lodging/registration fees on some tournaments. Most sponsored players have another job as their main income.

On top of that if you google his name all sorts of bad shit pops up so it might hinder future employment.

You've been able to google incidents centered around him since 2011 though, this is just another thing added to the list.

Making a living off fighting games is incredibly difficult, and Ultra Arcade would at best cover Noel for travel/lodging/registration fees on some tournaments. Most sponsored players have another job as their main income.

You've been able to google incidents centered around him since 2011 though, this is just another thing added to the list.

I don't think they have gained as much traction as this one tho

The_R3medy_

Neo Member
Glad to see Capcom enforce their rules sharply and set an example. Judging by the video/gif I've seen of the incident it seems pretty cut and dry.

Tripon

Noel Brown actually quit his job to focus on SFV.

He got AYVDed by Capcom, hard.

Good move by the event organizers. It doesn't need to be a lifetime ban because even creeps can get their shit together. It was a butt grab. It's reprehensible but not the end of the world.

Hopefully he learns from this. The guy has been insulated because of his friends for too long. People just need to be humbled and learn sometimes.

kewlmyc

Good, I'm glad action was taken. Hopefully it never happens again for anyone in the FGC since people now know Capcom won't hesitate to ban you and make you an example.

Defuser

Sorry but I don't think even a lifetime ban from FGC and all the competitions will do the trick. A leopard especially a molester will never change it's spots. Noel Brown will do the same thing somewhere else at some unfortunate victim.

Sorry but I don't think even a lifetime ban from FGC and all the competitions will do the trick. A leopard especially a molester will never change it's spots. Noel Brown will do the same thing somewhere else at some unfortunate victim.
The girl can get the police involved for sexual assault if she wants to. I wanna believe the TOs asked her if she wanted to get them involved.

Defuser

The girl can get the police involved for sexual assault if she wants to. I wanna believe the TOs asked her if she wanted to get them involved.

Which I believe she should. Ban from playing and warning is just a slap on wrist because it doesn't affect him in anyway and will continue to do it again.

Futurematic

And finally, acceptance.

Fantastic if he learns from it, I expect an article by him sometime before the next year of tournaments about how's he learned as a person to be honest though.

But hey I'm cynical, if he's honest about half a decade of unacceptable behaviour and actually changes I'm 100% on board, I believe in rehabilitation. (Edit: lifetime ban is easy punishment, if he does fuck up again though.)

Biolink

Ya I got the two events mixed up, but this is even worse. Saying what can be done about physical assault besides banning him? Really?

Dude just stop.

Dude flipped on Smoothviper because he was having a hard time in life. His mom had passed and getting hype Viper had been messing with his belongings, on top of trashing talking on him that whole set. I'd agree if it was anybody else, but Smoothviper is a known big time shit talker and everyone has probably wanted to swing on him, difficult times in life or not.

They made up and both apoligized for acting like assholes. Stop commenting on situation you know absolutely nothing about or at least learn how to read and comprehend.

How old is this guy, in his 30's or something?

Dude needs to learn to grow up, act like an adult & stop being a damn idiot. He's always getting in trouble all the time, always.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Yeah but we have Triforce defending Cosby now.

You missed him during the start of the show talking about how he secretly records himself having sex with women and also even taken hidden pictures during "orgies" ...because he says he gonna make mad money and does not want to get Bill Cosbied...

Top Bottom