• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Resident Evil 6 Will Be Totally Different

I don't think it'd be a great idea to go the action route again. RE5 was able to ride on the wave of hype from its predecessor, but RE6 isn't going to have that luxury, so I doubt it'll be able to stand out if it's just another shooter.

Personally, I'd like to see them do a survival horror game, but not strictly in the mold of the older games in the series. Basically do something new, but something in which limiting your resources and making you feel vulnerable are core elements of the game.

Riposte

Meh, all survival horror games are shooters. Whether you have marginally-less ammo or need to run away more(which is honestly rarely the case in these games) doesn't change that.

Honestly, I just want a RE5 with less focus on coop and better "dodging"/"countering" mechanics to go along more intense mobs and bosses(like a MvC3 style Wesker, not the pussy shit we got). That's a good compromise no? Action with terrible odds, with the feeling of the early RE5 trailers.

EDIT: Imagine a stop-and-shoot RE with Godhand dodge mechanics! That would be wicked LOL. MIKAMIIIII!

DemiMatt

PetriP-TNT said:
Well Operation Raccoon City already has it so I think it's a safe bet to make

Oh really? fuck, the main thing about the RE series I loved was the lack of run and gun. it just adds to the suspense!

ezekial45 said:
Yeha, i'm agree with people on rebooting the series. I mean really, where do you go after killing a mutated Wesker in a volcano? It's gotten too out of control. I'd be in favor of a brand new story line with new characters and everything.

It can still be within the same world, but i think Umbrella and all the other characters need to go. They can stay in the spin offs.

Honestly, thank you for this post. Thank you for reminding me that this reboot will also mean they won't find some bullshit storyline in which Wesker survived. That way we don't have to fill the internet with >>>this<<<

Clott

4-8 freaking years?! What the hell do they need all that time for? If we are able to get an uncharted game every 2 years I don't see the problem. Sure, resident evil is a lot more of an open experience, but the engine is done, all that is needed is a new direction. Everything is going the COD route, why not slow things down and take the series back to it's roots. Finite ammo and health, make me plan and not just react to things.

Yeah it doesn't make sense. By the time they release the new game, the engine will clearly be outdated. Unless they make it 'source-esque'. 4-8 years = midway into next-gen.

And by then I will be 35. Oh god. EviLore will have updated his icon to be much balder too!

sleepykyo said:
Just set RE6 in the forests of Canada. Claim that a Canadian pharmecutical (sp) company reverse engineered the T-virus. And that has resulted in outbreaks that are reported to the BSAA. This will basically allow they to bring back the trappings of RE1 (lost in wilderness, T-virus).

Except that given the desire they to make RE6, more action orientated, they can try to make a what was passive cutscene (running away from the dogs into the mansion) into actual gameplay. Basically Dawn of the Dead remake.

An evil Tim Hortons executive has put the T-Virus formula in every Tim Hortons coffee. Roll Up the Rim... TO DIE

jeremy1456

If we want to play another shitty third person shooter we will buy Gears of War.

Don't ruin Resident Evil any more.

Heed this advice, Capcom.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Clott said:
The engine is done, so what are the chances of a E3 unveiling?
Well, unless they intend to A.) reveal the game almost two years early or B.) release it at the same time as Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, I'm guessing it won't come out until March 2013, and thus not be revealed until after Raccoon City is released.

jeremy1456

K.Jack said:
Feel free to copy ideas from Dead Space.

No, let Dead Space be Dead Space and Resident Evil be Resident Evil. Dead Space is cool, but pales in comparison to RE4.

Copy ideas from RE1, Capcom.

As long as it's not outsourced to some random developer then I can get behind the idea... cautiously optimistic. The story definitely needs to be completely different as well.

Curufinwe

Mr. Spinnington said:
because they're losing their touch

maybe i should have said 'another one so soon'

It's going to be at least 3 years between RE 5 and RE 6, so what the hell do you mean by "so soon"?

Ezalc

It will always amaze me that people think Capcom is still competent. Can't wait to see who they outsource this game to. Get ready guys in RE6 it'll be about Chris who's now asian, blonde, and fat. He'll team up with his sister Claire who is now somehow Irish and Korean redhead with unusually long legs. I bet it'll be a great game.

Korigama

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Well, they're not going to "monster hunter" it as thats what their slant six project is for. RE6 could be awesome knowing that.

ORC is nothing like Monster Hunter. At all.

FTH said:
Another reboot? Thanks everyone that complained about RE5

thanks alot

I'd say "you're welcome", but the very fact that they're even humoring making this a shooter, ditching survivor horror altogether, sounds like no one will win when all is said and done.

K.Jack said:
Feel free to copy ideas from Dead Space.
That's funny you mention that because when Dead Space came out everyone was saying it was Resident Evil 4 in space!

I will say that Dead Space 2 did raise the level for survival-horror/shooters for this gen. Although I'm in the group that enjoyed RE5 immensely, I do admit that Capcom will have a difficult task ahead of them with RE6.

Capcom could be putting too much pressure on themselves.

benzy

It'll be totally different eh?

dante-dmc-2011.jpg

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
FTH said:
Another reboot? Thanks everyone that complained about RE5

thanks alot

You're very welcome. RE5 wasn't a bad game in itself but the last thing the RE series needs is to be pushed more into action/shooter territory. As many have said before, the market for that style of game is already waaaay over saturated.

Tiktaalik

The gap between the sentiments of many of the posters in this thread and the reality is staggering. RE5 was a massive success. Action RE games are a massive success. The franchise doesn't need to go back to horror and it certainly doesn't need a break.

Do you guys remember the intro for REmake on GameCube? It had a first person section of a shotgun with a headlamp looking into the remains of the crashed helicopter in the mountains. I remember wanting back then to play a good FPS Resident Evil game.

Danielsan said:
Make it a horror game Capcom, that's all I want. There are enough action games as it is.

but they consider RE4 and RE5 to be horror. im still on the fence about that. i wasn't very scared or spooked or anything playing them compared to the classics. i hardly feel like my character is in over his head. there's a difference between "there are too many enemies (that could pass for angry drunks in need of a shower) for me to properly target and shoot at DUE TO THIS FUCKING CONTROL SETUP" and "AAAHHHHH i've only got half a clip and a knife, and these two zombies are between me and that ladder to safety! am i the only one left alive? what's behind this door!?!?! AAAAAAHHHHH".

i dare say i'd like them to rewind back in time several decades and go into a story about some accidental science experiment type zombie outbreak and go into how all of that stuff is why the mansion was set up in the first place to try and recreate that etc. that way they could go back to when zombies weren't a common pest and the player characters could be unprepared and unequipped to handle such encounters.

Ezalc

Tiktaalik said:
The gap between the sentiments of many of the posters in this thread and the reality is staggering. RE5 was a massive success. Action RE games are a massive success. The franchise doesn't need to go back to horror and it certainly doesn't need a break.

Where's that gif of Krusty holding back from punching Bart in the face when you need it.

Korigama

Tiktaalik said:

I don't believe many are doubting the financial success of such games, but to call them legitimate RE titles when the only things in common are names and select enemy types is a stretch. Just because they're profitable doesn't mean they're good.

EDIT: And just to make it clear, I'm not including RE4 in my criticism of the franchise's direction (I was quite satisfied with the balance it struck between action and horror).

I have absolutely no confidence in Capcom this gen. RE5 was a debacle devoid of a single new or interesting idea after the brilliance of RE4.

For RE6 I wouldn't be surprised if they spend all their time working on a new animation system that allows Chris's biceps to be 3x as wide as his head (a 50% increase over RE5).

Rpgmonkey

I'd like it if they introduced noticeably fast+smarter creatures and let you move and shoot. Use a dark setting with places for creatures to hide and sneak around, limited interaction with other people, the typewriters, and a moderate amount of resources.

It's the only new direction I'd like to see RE go in. Still capable of being fast-paced and actiony while retaining tense survival horror elements. Obviously this won't happen, so whatever...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Make it more survival horror-ish, meaning you can't rely on your guns too much and you have to runaway a lot and probably hide. Also zombies that appear unexpectedly.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Make MERCENARIES its own Resi "shooterish co-op with story" franchise and give us a proper survival horror with Resi 6, that's all I want and I'd gladly buy them both.
Pity there's Raccon City already, can't see that happening on home consoles but who knows...
Project Cafe's launch game please :p

Tron 2.0

After the sales of RE5, it seems inevitable that the series will continue more in that vein.

Honestly, even though I didn't care for RE5, I think it could work. I blame a lot of my problems with RE5 on boring level design.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
For me RE5 was one of those games that seemed like it would have been a million times better had the developer not nixed a bunch of ideas they drew up and paraded out in concept art, a la Half Life 2.

Just don't add any more characters, the series already has tons of great characters to use (i.e. Bring back fuckin' Rebecca already!). Sheva in RE5 was just unnecessary.

Doomsayer

Hopefully by different they mean good. RE5 was a suck fest of roids and explosions. It was a decent game with amazing graphics but as an RE game it was awful.

The last GREAT RE game was REMake which is the pinnacle of the series. If Capcom can make a new RE game like ReMake I will shit my pants. I have lost interest in games over the past few years but RE is a series I still play constantly.

Operation Raccoon City looks interesting but I doubt it will be good. I do know that I would love to see zombies in HD.

Stencil

Just make Day of the Dead into a game.

Or RE3make.

I'm so full of great suggestions that I think I'll just call it a night

Top Bottom