• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Resident Evil needs to be more actiony, survival horror = sales less than CoD

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Capcom obviously feel that it's better to impose popular game design trends on an established franchise than to launch a new IP based on those mechanics, since new IP are an inherent risk. It's incredibly shortsighted. Forget not making as much as COD; they could be losing a lot more money in the long term by steering series like RE away from what made them popular in the first place. Other than its history, the greatest asset a franchise like RE has is its distinctness in the marketplace, and that's something that persists over time.

Basically, they should be thankful for having the small Resident Evil sized chunk in the marketplace while trying to grow it, rather than going after the mammoth COD sector and losing what they already have.

RE4 is one of the greatest games of all time, but the level of action in the RE6 trailer is dumb. Bringing back the gun-totting zombies from RE5 was such a bad choice.

MechaX

So.. has this entire "we must make the game more like CoD to achieve CoD sales!" ever worked out for a non-FPS game?

Wow, I'm so glad not every developer is willing to whore out their franchises for quick bucks. The message here is plain and simple. They are driven by sales and money, not by their ideas.

Shinji Mikami am cry

So.. has this entire "we must make the game more like CoD to achieve CoD sales!" ever worked out for a non-FPS game?

No but this game isn't going to be more like COD. They are going to tell their guys "hey make the game more actiony" and then they will do it in their regular Capcom way. Capcom is pretty much the master of making action games (when they don't ship them off overseas) since the NES days. People forget that even the older RE games are pretty much action games designed around the DPAD (and they progressively got more actiony after RE1) - they can even be beaten without taking any damage whatsoever.

ironcreed

Banned
Can't say I approve of that direction, but what we have seen of RE6 so far looks amazing to me. Sure, it looks to have loads of action, but that does not make it look any less fun. As long as they don't turn it into a multiplayer focused military conflict with a 4 hour tacked on campaign, I think I'll enjoy it just fine. From the looks of things, it actually appears to be more of a best of both worlds type of approach, with a blend of action and horror/tension. I am good with that.

jmdajr

I can't imagine tank control pre-Re4 still being fun to play. Regardless, the games can still kick ass/be scary without being Call of Duty and have modern game mechanics.

Kudos to Street Fighter/Mega Man whose gameplay has stood the test of time. Well, poor mega man needs another go!

ironcreed

Banned
I can't imagine tank control pre-Re4 still being fun to play. Regardless, the games can still kick ass/be scary without being Call of Duty and have modern game mechanics.

Kudos to Street Fighter/Mega Man whose gameplay has stood the test of time. Well, poor mega man needs another go!

Not that I ever had trouble with not being able to move and shoot, but I sure as hell am glad that we will be able to now. I think it is safe to say that RE6 will be the best playing RE to date because of this one factor alone. To top it off, it looks like a hell of a top shelf production.

Danielsan

Remember when games were made because the creators had a creative vision? Well, they are still being made this way, but certainly not at Capcom.

Remember when games were made because the creators had a creative vision? Well, they are still being made this way, but certainly not at Capcom.

So what greenlit the production money for Asura's Wrath (by CC2) and the four year internal development of Dragon's Dogma? I am sure they would rather be working on a clone of the older Resident Evil games (with nearly identical gameplay for like 6 games) like some fans want.

Riposte

Not really. Thankfully that isn't what Capcom is actually doing, Nirolak's thread title aside.

(They are making more games like RE4/5, which should be obvious if you've seen the trailer.)

MrMephistoX

Trying to morph something to closely match a competing product only serves to draw comparison to the original which reflects poorly on the imitator and alienates that series original fans.

Raoh

End of the day it doesn't really matter to me.

The RE movies ruined what RE was to me.

The game series died to me a long time ago. I bought RE4 for the wiimote experience that I loved but not without the wiimote. Bought RE5 GOLD for the move support but it was not as good as the wiimote experience in RE4. I knew Racoon City was going to be trash.

The only thing RE has going for it is the animated movies.

Just give me Siren: Blood Curse 2 (or more games like it), Amnesia and Dead Space 3.

(can we count dancing games as horror games?)

ironcreed

Banned
I think they just mean more action-y moments in the game, not literally turning the series into another Call of Duty, lol. It is still going to be RE, just with more action and better gameplay. As long as they don't completely drop some of the more tense moments as well, then it's all good for me. Based on the Leon segments we have seen, I don't think they will be doing that. The game looks great.

As for what some may consider to be more 'dudebro' aspects, such as making it cover-based, well you will still have to contend with shit like this to balance it out. Looks pretty badass as well, I might add:

untitled-71o2pk5.gif

GQman2121

Banned
I think they just mean more action-y moments in the game, not literally turning the series into another Call of Duty, lol. It is still going to be RE, just with more action and better gameplay. As long as they don't completely drop some of the more tense moments as well, then it's all good for me. Based on the Leon segments we have seen, I don't think they will be doing that. The game looks great.

As for what some may consider to be more 'dudebro' aspects, such as making it cover-based, well you will still have to contend with shit like this to balance it out. Looks pretty badass as well, I might add:

http://www.abload.de/img/untitled-71o2pk5.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]You could tell me that that gif is a new Resistance and I would believe you.

Seriously, RE5 had even less in common with the series then RE4 did to the last traditional RE (which was Zero). So the writing has been on the walls for years now. I don't think any of us should be surprised by these types of statements. Nothing will ever be the same for the series with Mikami not calling the shots.

Anteo

I loved RE4. That was my first RE game. I considered buying Revelations, but then I played the demo. Walking around draining bathtubs and unlocking doors isn't a fun game mechanic to me.

I actually like stopping to aim and shoot, but the series needs the emphasis on action to keep my interest. Otherwise, I'll leave the bathtub draining to GAF.

There is only one bathtub draining sequence in the whole game :lol

Is it closer to RE4 with very light puzzles? Or is it more of the "find the key; use the touchscreen to make a triangle with orbs" stuff that was in the demo? Shooting zombies is fun for me. Opening doors... not so much.

Hell, in the OT, old fans have complained that the game is too light on puzzles even compared with RE4, and RE4 was alredy light on them. The game has great action sequences, though most of them are in the latter half of the game, this doesnt mean there is not action on the fist part btw, there is alot.

Oh and Raid mode, man raid mode is awesome, I bet is exactly what you want from a secondary mode on RE, it takes stages from the main campaing, strips them out of the story and put you there with the only objective of getting to the end of it. YOu can play with a partner and you can upgrade your gear wiuth the loot you get from the stages. And stages have 3 dificulties, the first one is a lot like the campaing, while the hardest one is throwing all the bosses and overpowered mosnters they can.

Oh and OT, capcom is stupid, they will never, never catch the COD audience. And IO cant understand how they cant see this. Well. REvelaitons was awesome.The RE franchise ends there though, there wont be another good one =/.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
CV was the last true classic RE in my eyes, RE4 was a good game but it was a different approach and one which is getting out of hand now.
CV was also goddamn boring.

Classic RE is done for. the best one, REmake, will never be surpassed there's nothing else that can be done with that formula. RE4 brought new life to a stagnant series (because lets be honest REZero was SHIT) and it was massively successful. RE5 introduced coop to the RE4 formula which was a great addition and it's a blast to play with another person, makes the game highly replayable. I don't understand the outcry. RE6 looks amazing, btw.

ironcreed

Banned
You could tell me that that gif is a new Resistance and I would believe you.

Seriously, RE5 had even less in common with the series then RE4 did to the last traditional RE (which was Zero). So the writing has been on the walls for years now. I don't think any of us should be surprised by these types of statements. Nothing will ever be the same for the series with Mikami not calling the shots.

But, Resistance is a FPS. LOL, just messin' with ya. Seriously, I love the classics and especially loved the leap it took with RE4. Then RE5 came along, and while it was not as dark and had more action, I still loved it as well. As there were many moments of tension for me that told me it was still indeed RE, such as avoiding the sack-heads with chainsaws.

Now, here we are at RE6 and I see improved gameplay that allows me to move and shoot, horror elements with the return of Leon and more action-y elements like RE5 as well. Everyone is obviously different, but I am not complaining. If anything, RE6 looks more like a mix of RE4 and RE5 to me, but with the best gameplay yet. To each their own, I guess.

Esura

Banned

SYNTAX182

Why not just make a new IP similar to COD? I don't get this mind set. Unless they think RE is a big enough name that somehow this will keep buyers interested, which I don't think it does. When I think of RE, I think of zombies, survival horror, and tanky controls. The tankiness makes it harder to move around giving the game a sense of difficulty/claustrophobia because of it. You're fighting with the controls, and the zombies.

This franchise is dead.

RPGCrazied

As a fan big fan of RE, I'm going to disagree. I will not purchase Operation Raccoon City. That is definitely a Call of Duty game with the RE name slapped on it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
people are acting as if he said that main RE is going to become a CoD clone, he never states so in the interview...

He mentions the survival horror elements didn't guaranteed sales and thus the series went for a more action-based gameplay (ie. RE4), compared REZero sales to RE4 and he is absolutely right.

Riposte

people are acting as if he said that main RE is going to become a CoD clone, he never states so in the interview...

He mentions the survival horror elements didn't guaranteed sales and thus the series went for a more action-based gameplay (ie. RE4), compared REZero sales to RE4 and he is absolutely right.

Even if you explain it perfectly, that isn't going to stop the onslaught. For starters people tend to only read the title and this thread's title purposefully implies something that isn't said.

GQman2121

Banned
CV was also goddamn boring.

Classic RE is done for. the best one, REmake, will never be surpassed there's nothing else that can be done with that formula. RE4 brought new life to a stagnant series (because lets be honest REZero was SHIT) and it was massively successful. RE5 introduced coop to the RE4 formula which was a great addition and it's a blast to play with another person, makes the game highly replayable. I don't understand the outcry. RE6 looks amazing, btw.

I did enjoy the co-op in RE5. I can't deny that. But they could have done a much better job of making you feel like it was survival of the fittest.

I think separating the players for large portions of the game, while still allowing them to vocally communicate with one another, would be a great way to up the tension of being on your own, yet not.....if that makes sense.

Lothar

Banned

Of course it couldn't be that it was just an infinitely better designed game and had nothing to do with it being more action-based.

If Capcom had made a game with the same visuals, the same perspective, and the same story but made it along the lines of RE2 in terms of survival horror, it would still have sold a lot more than REZero.

REZero was just a terrible RE game.

Loxley

This reminds me of when Microsoft canceled their Marvel MMO being made by Cryptic solely because it wouldn't reach World of Warcraft numbers (aka 10+ million players). If that's all your after, then why ever make another game if you're so paranoid about never selling as much as the top-dog?

That said, he's not really wrong.

The only reason I managed to finish RE5 was because of the co-op. My friend had to keep pushing me and pushing me and pushing me, positively reassuring me throughout the game, infact. In the end he admitted he kept going because I did, if I had stopped there was no way he was punishing himself with that wreck.

We knew the game was down right terrible on every front except for graphics. RE5 shares nothing in relation to what made RE4 a good game. Mikami gave them the framework as usual, and they butchered it from there, and its looking to continue. Co-op doesn't make horrible games great, they make them tolerable that someone is also suffering with you. When my friend and I were playing RE5 it was like a funeral procession, we just had each other to prop the other up when the diabolical lows of that horrid game flew directly in your face.

Unfortunately RE6 looks nothing like RE4.

man/man

Banned
Can someone enlighten me to what makes RE4 so great? I never played because I always assumed RE was a big joke now after those Z-grade movies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Because 1) the costs of creating games is growing all the time, 2) most gamers only want the most visually advanced, complex games possible, 3) pubs and devs are going under at an alarming rate after a bomb or two, making safe formulas with wide appeal more attractive, and 4) making and selling games is business, which is of course concerned primarily with maximizing profits.

Some hardcore fans of the original style RE games will deny it, but the series was in the shitter big time before RE4 saved the IP. RE0 was the most soulless, paint-by-numbers RE game imaginable. I would kill (certain people) for an old style RE2make, sans RE4-era changes, but I'm not surprised Capcom doesn't want to go back to that.

I wish they would at least devote side games to the old style of play, but the record sales of RE5--and this article--mean those days are most likely over forever.

Now thats a funny joke.

jmdajr

But, Resistance is a FPS. LOL, just messin' with ya. Seriously, I love the classics and especially loved the leap it took with RE4. Then RE5 came along, and while it was not as dark and had more action, I still loved it as well. As there were many moments of tension for me that told me it was still indeed RE, such as avoiding the sack-heads with chainsaws.

Now, here we are at RE6 and I see improved gameplay that allows me to move and shoot, horror elements with the return of Leon and more action-y elements like RE5 as well. Everyone is obviously different, but I am not complaining. If anything, RE6 looks more like a mix of RE4 and RE5 to me, but with the best gameplay yet. To each their own, I guess.

I think RE6 could be awesome. I'm not down on it. I highly enjoyed 5. Is it better than 4? No, but 4 set the bar super fucking high.

Too bad Operation Raccoon sucks but it's not the same team. I'm still giving the game the 2 dolla spin when I get home. Thank You Red box.

Top Bottom