• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Resident Evil needs to be more actiony, survival horror = sales less than CoD

It´s simple, make HD Remakes of 1, 2, 3 & Code Veronica, put them on disc or release them on XBL/PSN or both. After that you can rape the franchise anyway you want it, though you have been doin that since RE4.

Seriously, I want REmake.

It´s simple, make HD Remakes of 1, 2, 3 & Code Veronica, put them on disc or release them on XBL/PSN or both. After that you can rape the franchise anyway you want it, though you have been doin that since RE4.

Buy a Wii and get REmake/Zero with 480P, the best version of RE4, one solid lightgun RE game and a pretty good RE lightgun sequel.

That or you could just buy the Wii U and play them there anyway. I'm sure Capcom will port RE2make and RE3mix to every piece of electronic equipment under the sun when they get to it.

Floex

"And I think that especially for the North American market, we need to keep going in that direction, and take that a step further. And that's exactly one of the reasons that Revelations is the way it is," he said."

Americans are to blame, fact.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Can someone enlighten me to what makes RE4 so great? I never played because I always assumed RE was a big joke now after those Z-grade movies.

RE4 shook up the traditional Resident Evil formula at just about the perfect time in the series. It toned down the goofy puzzles and upped the action with more enemies and ammunition yet still retained an atmosphere of gloom and dread. It was universally praised but unfortunately set the stage for ever more action-y sequels that quickly abandoned any sense of atmosphere.

Davey Cakes

Blame the people that think RE4 is the best thing ever created.
RE4 is the best thing ever created.

But people who liked it weren't necessarily asking for RE5, a game which scaled back the best parts of 4 in favor of a co-op-friendly campaign and a heightened focus on online play.

RE4 was full of action. It was definitely an action-horror game as opposed to a survival-horror one. But it had all the elements of great design in place, and still felt somewhat like Resident Evil even though it was a series revolution. It took atmospheric elements from previous RE games, which was a plus. RE5 sort of threw a lot of that out the window, becoming basically an action-action game with horror elements as opposed to a proper action-horror integration.

Another game like RE4 would definitely sell like gangbusters, because it has the balance of appealing action with the proper IP characteristics. RE5 is not what the series needs to be, and the non-Leon parts of RE6 are DEFINITELY not what the series needs to be (admitting that I'm basing this off of the trailer and PR statements).

Melchiah

"Especially for the North American market, I think the series needs to head in that [action-oriented] direction,"

The Americans once again ruining it for everyone else. I curse you, CoD/GeoW/dudebro generation!

It's highly likely, that I won't be buying new RE entries, as RE5 wasn't really that enjoyable to me (excluding Lost in Nightmares), and RE4 didn't really excite me either.

It would be interesting to know, what the sales of the more action-oriented REs have been compared to those of old.

man/man

Banned
RE4 shook up the traditional Resident Evil formula at just about the perfect time in the series. It toned down the goofy puzzles and upped the action with more enemies and ammunition yet still retained an atmosphere of gloom and dread. It was universally praised but unfortunately set the stage for ever more action-y sequels that quickly abandoned any sense of atmosphere.

So is it worth downloading the HD version off PSN? Or is it just good "for its time"?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

It's really not that simple..pre-rendered backgrounds will make the HD port job too expensive since they will need to actually re do them completely, and these publishers jump on the HD ports mostly because it's easy and cheap to do them,extra work will mean it's pointless for them. (Also PSX games will need even more work).

And if you mean a complete remakes like RE1 remake on the Gamecube , well that even more impossible since Capcom don't think it's a good business anymore and will never put full teams on them.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
So is it worth downloading the HD version off PSN? Or is it just good "for its time"?

I enjoyed the hell out of the game and triple dipped so I'm obviously biased but if you've never played it before and like RE then you owe it to yourself to at least give it a try. I don't know much about the PSN version but I'm assuming it's the same version that's available on the 360, which is a direct port of RE4: Wii Edition. Crapcom wants $20 for the 360 version - which I think is a little pricey for a game this old - so I'd guess it's probably the same for PSN.

Even with the HD version the graphics are dated but the gameplay is rock solid and pretty timeless, IMO.

Resident Evil 4 is one of the best third person shooters ever made. It was a next-gen game before next-gen. It doesn't just "hold-up", it is actively better than most games involving projectile weapons.

Bam, well put.

Resident Evil 4 is one of the best third person shooters ever made. It was a next-gen game before next-gen. It doesn't just "hold-up", it is actively better than most games involving projectile weapons. 10 years from now it is still going to probably be better than almost all games coming out.

RE5 is pretty much a clone mechanically of RE4 except with less & worse scenario / encounter design. The PS3/360 ports of RE4 are super lazy but it gets the job done I guess.

But people who liked it weren't necessarily asking for RE5, a game which scaled back the best parts of 4 in favor of a co-op-friendly campaign and a heightened focus on online play.

RE4 was full of action. It was definitely an action-horror game as opposed to a survival-horror one. But it had all the elements of great design in place, and still felt somewhat like Resident Evil even though it was a series revolution. It took atmospheric elements from previous RE games, which was a plus. RE5 sort of threw a lot of that out the window, becoming basically an action-action game with horror elements as opposed to a proper action-horror integration.

Another game like RE4 would definitely sell like gangbusters, because it has the balance of appealing action with the proper IP characteristics. RE5 is not what the series needs to be, and the non-Leon parts of RE6 are DEFINITELY not what the series needs to be (admitting that I'm basing this off of the trailer and PR statements).

Pretty much this. I mean if Mikami was still at Capcom and he was developing RE 5, then it would have been waaay different. I don't know why Capcpom decided to "fear the light just as the dark" scenario. But hey, let them do whatever they want with 6.

GQman2121

Banned
What's funny about RE4 is the number of games that have used that same camera perspective since and not even remotely attempted to fix the flaws with it. Batman is the only game that comes to mind. Rocksteady had enough sense to pan the camera out and allow the player to see their surroundings during confrontations with enemies.

With CoD's success, you now have RE in the imitation role and not the innovating one. Strange how money changes things.

Mlatador

Banned
I'm gonna boycott RE6 so hard!!!

As a matter of fact, from now on I will boycott every franchise that changes it's DNA and/or Genre in favor of becoming "more like COD", unless it's an FPS probably.

What's funny about RE4 is the number of games that have used that same camera perspective since and not even remotely attempted to fix the flaws with it. Batman is the only game that comes to mind. Rocksteady had enough sense to pan the camera out and allow the player to see their surroundings during confrontations with enemies.

With CoD's success, you now have RE in the imitation role and not the innovating one. Strange how money changes things.

RE4's at least is deliberate and I do not consider it a flaw. Having limited view enhances the feeling of tension and uncertainty.

Esura

Banned

There was nothing horror about RE4. I love RE4 as much as the next person (well, maybe not as much but close) but its nothing like the old REs, which is why I like RE4 and 5 in the first place.

There was nothing horror about RE4. I love RE4 as much as the next person (well, maybe not as much but close) but its nothing like the old REs, which is why I like RE4 and 5 in the first place.

We must have played different games then, because the entire Village section was tinged with horror, sections in the castle like the sewers, the prison and the castle and in the Island the laboratory sections. These sections are as much horror as ANYTHING in the older RE titles.

Lothar

Banned
The worst part about RE4 is that the running enemies all stopped when they got close to you and decided to slowly walk. That kept a lot of the game from being scary. Only scary parts: The beginning village, the regenerators, the hedge maze with the dogs, and the sewers.

In RE4 I at least partially felt that Mikami tried a new kind of horror, but it had a really awkward contrast. The boss section in the castle cellar was superb and I felt like more of this would have made a great horror game. But right after that sequence, you find yourself throwing fantasy trolls into lava and participate in some kind of Indiana Jones Temple of Doom ride.
Shit got worse on the island. First you find yourself in some abandoned laboratory where creepy sound settings set in and you encounter terrifying enemies. Next thing you know, you're suddenly in a battlefield game, which felt like a ridiculous insult to me back then.

The worst part about RE4 is that the running enemies all stopped when they got close to you and decided to slowly walk. That kept a lot of the game from being scary. Only scary parts: The beginning village, the regenerators, the hedge maze with the dogs, and the sewers.

The enemies in RE4 are less hesitant to run up and swing on professional mode which caught me off guard a little bit the last time I played the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLA835818CFC93BA75&feature=player_detailpage&v=6_fE29c4y60#t=425s

Teknoman

The environments were very atmospheric, and being chased by the good doctor,oven man,regenerators, and Mendez's insectoid form were pretty horrific.

Its not survival horror, it's action horror. RE5 was even less unfortunately...still a fun game though. The boss designs could have really used some work...aside from that bat centipede.

They felt more threatening to me than zombies though.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Sadly, the vast majority of people who play COD, only play COD as casual gamers. They are committed to the franchise. What he really needs to mention into is casual gaming.

COD represents casual gaming at its finest.

He is confusing the sales numbers with the appeal, and I don't want Resident Evil to go casual, leave it in the 'niche', Capcom already makes millions from the rehashes they release.

Deadstar

If a game can't sell as much as Call of Duty is it worth making? I hope it gets cheaper to make games so that not every game has to compete with the duty. Every type of game has an audience. My favorite genre RTS died in part by the rise of the console fps. I someday hope for its monumental return.

D_prOdigy

Perhaps I'm being naive to the extreme...

But can't they just have the confidence to make a survival horror game that has such quality that people will want to buy it because it's good?

You know... like Resident Evil?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Didnt someone say that the reception for the more horror oriented 3DS title was so good that they want to make another one?
Clearly the test was a lie.

Teknoman

This is just like when games had to be the halo killer, or even further back with the mk killer, sf killer, or mario/sonic killer. How about you just focus on making a great game, and then marketing it really well?

Commercials, print ads, youtube and facebook ads, etc.

On that note, sega really missed the mark on Vanquish and Binary domain marketing.

Ryuuga

Banned
untitled-71o2pk5.gif

To myself in the past:

Stop playing Resident Evil games after REmake, it only ends in heartache.

-Future self

Perkel

Banned
If they care that much about sales why they can't change it to fucking resident cart racing game, or Angry Resident evil ?

Can't wait for bomba.

My inner troll tell me that he want every deveoper/publisher to bomb superhard if tehy want to chase COD numbers.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
"RE4 started in that direction, and RE5 kept going in that direction," he said. "And I think that especially for the North American market, we need to keep going in that direction, and take that a step further. And that's exactly one of the reasons that Revelations is the way it is," he said.
Not sure I'm following the bolded part. Is he saying Revelations is a step further than RE5 on the action route? Is he saying they made it more focused on horror to make it perform worse in NA?

Randomizer

I find it strange when people say that Resi 4 has little or no horror, it is easily on par with the rest of the series for "Holy shit, run like fuck!" moments. There are probably more than two dozen moments though out the game that will have you running in fear and that will startle the shit out of you. I'd actually say that there are more tense, horror based moments in it than in RE3 and CV. I think RE4 has some of the most terrifying enemies in the series and gaming in general. Seriously if you let your guard down for one second most of the enemies will eat your your face off. The ganado's are huge step up when compared to dumb Zombies then you have Dr Savaldor's, Garradors, Regenerators and Iron Maidens. The bosses are again easily some of the best and most horrifying in the series with most bring able to one-hit kill you. Who can forget the first time they faced a El Gigante or the Mendez's, Verdugo & U-3 boss battles which are very freaky and will have you running away in constant fear.

I think that maybe most of the negative opinions stem from the final chapters on the island which were too actiony. Fighting a bunch of armed mercenaries in an army base isn't exactly terrifying. It also doesn't help that overall Leon controls better than the previous games with precise aiming and he is also extremely overpowered and over-equipped. When you can just whip out a high powered sniper rifle or an automatic shotgun there isn't much to be afraid of. Even better you can just buy a rocket launcher and one-shot any thing that moves including the bosses. But overall there is still plenty of horror in RE4 especially for first time players.

I fully understand any criticism of RE5's horror aspects. A shanty town in broad daylight isn't scary, thinking about it most of that game was is in daylight. It didn't really have many new memorable enemies either and the ability to be revived when you die takes way from the tension and fear. It's about as scary as the Uncharted series lol. For me I consider the RE-make the most frightening in the series but a lot of that is due to it's atmosphere fantastic atmosphere. In general the Resident Evil series has always had it's fair share of action, especially when compared to other survival horror games such as Silent Hill and Project Zero. What I miss most from the older titles is the more open ended nature and the puzzle solving. I will be getting RE6 day one but I do have my doubts about it. I hope Capcom can remember the horror roots and doesn't go full Michael Bay mode when it comes to the action aspects. They should use Resident Evil 4 as their blueprint.

Not sure I'm following the bolded part. Is he saying Revelations is a step further than RE5 on the action route? Is he saying they made it more focused on horror to make it perform worse in NA?

Yeah that threw me off too, your first assumption is probably right. From the few chapters I've played Revelations does feel more like RE5 control wise and in it's linear structure but it has much better atmosphere and Horror aspects to it but it is still firmly an action-horror not a survival horror. So far I haven't really seen the elements of the first games that people are seeing. I guess it's the elements like running around the ship using engraved keys and solving puzzles. But for me these things feel cheapened by the game's linear chapter based structure which makes exploration seem limited and the puzzles have been insultingly easy so far. I do think it's a step up from RE5 and I hope RE6 is more like it than RE5.

Brickhunt

I liked Resident Evil 4, but I also loved the previous ones and I blame 4 for the loss of identity of the series because of that fucking stupid merchant (although memorable character) and item drop out mechanic that it introduced.

The horror I got from first Resident Evil games was the fear of wasting resources like herbs and ammunition on weak enemies when you didn't have any idea of what kind of boss you would eventually face. You could only rely on items you found on the environment. That is what it means to be a survivor horror.

Resident Evil 4 would be the perfect game while still keeping the identity if it did not had a non-sense merchant that allows you to get better weapons (including a easy way out against stronger foes, the missile launcher for a cheap price) and improve their efficiency and a drop out mechanic that encourages you to go rambo on every enemy.

Hell, I do bet Resident Evil 5 would be an actual tense game without the enemy drop outs and item buying/selling after each chapter.

The horror I got from first Resident Evil games was the fear of wasting resources like herbs and ammunition on weak enemies when you didn't have any idea of what kind of boss you would eventually face. You could only rely on items you found on the environment. That is what it means to be a survivor horror.
That, to me, is not horror (though it obviously enhances the feel, but it's not the cause imo) that is resource management and that kind of feeling can be found in RPGs like DQ where resource management is essential. The horror itself (for me anyway) comes from the themes and the mood presented; the atmosphere and type of enemy encounters you face.

skads_187

i dont like their way of thinking either, and I like the older games in the series much better, however, I still really enjoyed RE5, i was expecting it not to be a survival horror game and just appreciated it for what it was.

like someone else mentioned, i would love HD versions of 1-3!

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Perhaps the critical reception, but the sales were very lacking.

I understand the need to try and promote the idea that Revelations sales are disappointing to poor but pointing to the fact that it didn't break 100k in the states during its launch month doesn't prove much. The game sold very well in Japan and debuted at number one in the UK.

Great games, belonging to popular IP's, have constantly shown to have the propensity to sell very well over a longer period of time on Nintendo platforms, as opposed to having mostly front loaded sales. Resident Evil in particular.

I still remember when sales age veterans were very quick to label Mario Kart DS a disappointment based on its first week sales in Japan. Resident Evil isn't Mario Kart but quality installments, of the franchise, have already proven to have a very strong fan base on Nintendo platforms.

Every example of a successful RE game, on Nintendo platforms, has them accumulating the majority of their sales from having very long legs.

Each time those games sales numbers were called disappointing by sales agers just from looking at the launch numbers.

Each time, six or so months later, Capcom would then release a sales report saying the games had sold or shipped enough to make them very successful, having sold several multiples more than their launch numbers. My memory is kind of fuzzy about how well RE4wii/REUC did in the long run, compared to their launches, though I am pretty sure this was indeed the case.

I think we will see a similar situation with Revelations with phase one already complete.

Sylver

Banned
After Chronicles HD selection it's time to make Origins HD Selection with Zero and Remake for PSN and VITA, then do what you want with that saga. you have killed. :_(

robin2

And the next-next gen will tighten even more the range of viable genres, because it brings another surge in the development costs (and the competition takes place on the audio-visual presentation).

Gravijah

personally, as a resident evil fan, i really really really miss the series' roots. yet at the same time, the gameplay in the modern games is absolutely top notch. raid mode in revelations is amazing, re5 co-op was great, and re4 is re4.

i do believe action games have a broader appeal.

but could the tanking of resident evil rev in the west have anything to do with it being on a handheld.

Handhelds in the west are largely kids domain. More so now than ever due to smartphones.

SamuraiX-

But, Kawata said, "I can't really speak for Resident Evil 6, but I don't think that it necessarily has to go all the way in that [action-heavy] direction, the Call of Duty direction. It doesn't have to be a straight up shooter. But my impression is that Resident Evil 4 and 5 aren't shooters, per se."

lmfao

What a load of shit.

Davey Cakes

i do believe action games have a broader appeal.

but could the tanking of resident evil rev in the west have anything to do with it being on a handheld.

Handhelds in the west are largely kids domain. More so now than ever due to smartphones.
On the 3DS, too.

I know the system has been somewhat successful, and Revelations is one of the flagship games at this point, but I don't think the audience is quite there yet.

Honestly, Revelations probably would have sold like gangbusters if it was a console game. Since it's on 3DS it obviously needs a lot more time.

Top Bottom