• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Showed the Wrong Version (extra large) of Abigail in the Reveal trailer.

Lulubop

Yeah, he kinda looks like a Gears character :p

lol.

I know a big compliant was that they put muscles to 11 and shit, well they actually didn't. He's supposed to be an ugly dude that aside, every SF character can't be beautiful man. Ed is tho

Neoxon

Hell yeah, he looks like a lot of fun.

Th1aX6I.gif
It's stuff like this that made me like Abigail more. He even corrects the announcer at the character select screen (this is even funnier when you realize that his English voice is the Smash 4 announcer).

Hardly seems like a mistake. Very likely intentional they wanted to show this character off in his largest and craziest form.

Generates more discussion overall.

Forward

Capcpom is evolving

Eventually they will grow ANOTHER "c", and completely lose that vestigial reputation. And another "pom". Their name will finally realize its true form, when mutation slips a "u" and a "k" in there.

The character design is gross. All the Bane thing does is cube the stupidity.

tusken77

I agree with the Eurogamer article. I've absolutely loved Final Fight since playing it back in the arcades in the early 90s, was really looking forward to the reveal trailer, and was initially startled at just how large Abigail appeared. But I watched the WSO stream yesterday and, after seeing him played in the context of a full session of matches, I really love what Capcom have done with the character. Fun times next week.

This is a pretty clear example of the communication issues between CapUS and CapJP.

Here's how it should've went:
JP- Hey here's an Abigail build make a trailer please
US- Okay
*Makes trailer*
US- done
JP- Bro Abby is yuge
US- o lol bug
JP- I gotchu bra
*Sends fixed build
US- k i fix
*Redoes trailer with not fucked Abigail
US- done again
JP- Ok that's cool
*US submits fixt Abby trailer to EVO*

But here's how it actually went:
JP- Hey here's an Abigail build make a trailer please
US- Okay
*Makes trailer*
*US submits yuge Abby trailer to EVO*
===========================

Not only the design is shit imo but if you notice it blocks the life bar too at times. That's just not acceptable Imo....
That's done intentionally. They don't zoom out the camera because they want you to truly grasp how tall he is relative to the other guys.

Hugo did the same shit in SFIV.

Reception has definitely changed a bit.

At first, from what I heard, the guys at EVO were pretty excited, but at home, the initial reception was shit. Like almost Infinite Warfare level. But then as we saw more and more of the character, people started warming up more and more to the character's personality.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Still a repulsive design

NotLiquid

Didn't know Abigail was received so negatively. Funny cause I think he's the only interesting design Capcom has brought into SFV since Rashid. The devs seem to have had a lot of fun with him.

Pompadour

I'm really warming up to Abigail now. I was afraid he was just going to be an uglier Hugo who is one of my all-time favorite characters. But he seems really unique, especially in his animations where he's so overwhelmingly powerful his command throw is just tossing you into the air and swatting you out of it and a regular throw is flicking his fingers at you.

The more normal proportions really help as his intro looks very weird with his oversized arms. Plus, all the body morphing in V looks really cool and it looks its best during his V-Trigger activation where his torso and arms throb and undulate while steam shoots out of his years.

Plus, his Mad Max-esque Battle Outfit looks great. Fantastic character.

shaowebb

Nah he looks really fun to use.
Sounds like function talk to me. Take it from a dude who has tried and failed to get folks to follow Arcana Heart because of its tool functions per character and systems.

CHARACTER DESIGN MATTERS GREATLY.

Folks don't give a damn about how it functions if the character doesn't have a design that interests them.
That shit will only excite players if they also like how the character looks. It takes both looks and functions to create a good FEELING Character. With a shit character design folks just feel nothing.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like function talk to me. Take it from a dude who has tried and failed to get folks to follow Arcana Heart because of its tool functions per character and systems.

CHARACTER DESIGN MATTERS GREATLY.

Folks don't give a damn about how it functions if the character doesn't have a design that interests them.
The ugly weirdo is a trope that some people like, though. What about them?

The Hermit

It's stuff like this that made me like Abigail more. He even corrects the announcer at the character select screen (this is even funnier when you realize that his English voice is the Smash 4 announcer).

Lol it's true. He even looks at the screen while doing that.

His mouth is weird though, looks like the Joker sprayed his gas at him.

DrArchon

Capcpom gonna Capcpom.

First they don't even have a trailer for Jedah, then they fuck up the one trailer they actually have. And they have to compete with trailers for Jubei, Trunks, and Geese Howard. Sucks to be them.

They censored Cammy

They censored Mika last year, too.

They'll never be able to censor Laura, though. That'll be a short broadcast.

I see people bring up Laura a lot. Laura's default isn't even that bad except "i has boobs". I think they have more a problem with exposed butt. Which Laura doesn't have in default.

The more I see Abigail the more I like him. His moveset looks pretty fun. Not really my type of character but I don't care if he's in the game or not. Besides there isn't a fighting game I've ever played where I like the way all the characters looked.

BiggNife

I agree that the less bulky Abigail looks better, but lets be real — the hate for him would have been just as strong if they showed the finished version. He's still a weird, exaggerated character, and those have historically gotten negative reception. Just look at Rufus in SF4.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Him slightly smaller version does help his look. I'm clearly in the minority but I don't mind his design at all, he certainly stands out and those alternates are far better than the default IMO.

But yeah how the fuck does Cacpcom keep missing stuff like this lol.

Top Bottom