• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Showed the Wrong Version (extra large) of Abigail in the Reveal trailer.

Ivan 3414

Maybe stop playing dev simulator and play the game? He looks super fun to play, I couldn't care less about the rest.

You may love functions, but a lot of people like character design. Like others have said, it doesn't matter how this guy plays. If the design is ass people won't touch him.

sephi22

I'm surprised that people think SFV looks better than Injustice 2 and Xrd.
inb4 NRS animations. Can't use that OS on Xrd though

Also, regarding Abigail, I swore I would hate play him after the reveal trailer because he was so ugly and I thought I could troll and ragequit people.
Now, post WSO, I can see his moveset is pretty legit and he doesn't look as beefy as the reveal trailer. I can see myself unironically playing him and I'm okay with him being intentionally ugly.

I like waifus and edgelords, but I also like playing low tier/unpopular/oddball characters. I already got my Juri and Mika in SFV, but I play Dhalsim because he's unpopular and very legit. Abigail is right up my alley as an El Fuerte player. Armored run grabs and annoying mannerisms? Yes please.

Rest of you can play your Chun Lis or Eds or Akumas and hold dat shit. Not every character needs to be for everyone.
I agree that the rest of the devs showed up Capcom at EVO though, but that's no surprise. SFV isn't close to exciting as any of those games so it's characters won't generate the same amount of hype either. Zeku would've been cool though.

The damage is done, it seems. I watched the showcase yesterday and the character looks significantly better than he did in the trailers and his animations are really top notch. His moveset looks fun and he probably has the best normals in the game right now.

Also, it's a much bigger difference than the victory screen shows.

fresquito

You may love functions, but a lot of people like character design. Like others have said, it doesn't matter how this guy plays. If the design is ass people won't touch him.
The design is good for what the character tries to be. Moreso when you take into account his animations.The fact that you don't understand this character is not designed for you and you mistake that for bad design makes me wonder whether you act like this on a regular basis.

Is music you don't like instantly bad music? Movies you don't like bad movies? Games you don't like bad games? Seems like a very narrow way of thinking, to be honest.

vg260

Its a big difference and makes him more proportional as a whole.

I wasn't a fan because the arms through everything outta whack

Yeah, even as a fan of the overall design, it's notable difference. The original arms as a default threw it off a bit too much, mostly because it obscured his head. But them being more ridiculous in V-trigger makes a lot more sense, and is more humorous. The difference actually makes it a nice touch for V-trigger now.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Don't have anything to say in this thread except I'm surprised that people think SFV looks better than Injustice 2 and Xrd.
inb4 NRS animations. Can't use that OS on Xrd though
Yeah, screenshots of Injustice 2 look good 😏

jett

D-Member
That sf4 pic looks the mobile version

Is it? Even funnier that I couldn't tell the difference when googling. SF4 is ugly as hell, no matter the platform, anyway.

I think this is from the real game.

YA0n7x8.jpg

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Is it? Even funnier that I couldn't tell the difference when googling. SF4 is ugly as hell, no matter the platform, anyway.

sf4.04.lg.jpg
This is a weird screenshot. The UI never looked like that and I'm pretty sure his face is different here!?

Story mode cutscenes and facial animations are top tier my ninja.
Yeah, but it's a fighting game

Glass Rebel

Eh, I still think it's bad. Which isn't a huge bummer. Out of all the new characters in V, I think this is their first dud.

YA0n7x8.jpg
That's the alpha version. You can tell by the location of the meters.

Edit: Don't OS me like that bro. OSes are broken.

Lulubop

Yeah, even as a fan of the overall design, it's notable difference. The original arms as a default threw it off a bit too much, mostly because it obscured his head. But them being more ridiculous in V-trigger makes a lot more sense, and is more humorous. The difference actually makes it a nice touch for V-trigger now.

Yea, exactly how I feel.

Nocturno999

What if they toned him down after the trailer backlash?

I like the character but he can block the health bars which can affect the match.

MechaX

Oh man this topic has gotten crazy.

Like, saying that SFV is the second best looking FG is absolutely bananas when considering that Xrd, DBZ, and Tekken 7 exist. But to loop right around and have an argument that SF4 looks better than SF5... What in the Christ is wrong with some of you people

As for Abigail, eh. His design isn't really doing anything for me and burly brawlers aren't really my thing in fighting games. But I appreciate the personality that they are putting into his animations, so that puts him leagues above Rufus.

jett

D-Member
Yeah I knew that screen looked funky when I posted so I changed it quickly.

I'm surprised that people think SFV looks better than Injustice 2 and Xrd.
inb4 NRS animations. Can't use that OS on Xrd though.

I sure can. Although Xrd's animation is aesthetically and mechanically great, I'll take SFV's spectacular full-framerate animations over the 15fps (or less) low-frame ArcSys stuff any day.

tumblr_inline_opayuzqXun1r3xpw3_540.gif

MboFWTC.gif

SFV has the best animations in the genre, period. Probably the best hand-made animations in gaming.

vg260

I like the character but he can block the health bars which can affect the match.

I don't think there was a real backlash.

They obviously designed a real ugly monster goofball of a character, and probably knew it may be polarizing (or at least they should have). They're probably also used to people hating everything they do now as well.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

The V-Trigger "swelling" and "shrinking" has an actual animation. It's part of his style, they definitely didn't just make them up in a few days.

sephi22

I sure can. Although Xrd's animation is aesthetically and mechanically great, I'll take SFV's spectacular full-framerate animations over the 15fps (or less) low-frame ArcSys stuff any day.

SFV has the best animations in the genre, period. Probably the best hand-made animations in gaming.
So we're changing goalposts from bad animations to low frame animations now? Xrd's animations are top notch and they're intentionally low frame.

Also Skullgirls has the best animations in the genre. Followed by 3S. SFV's not bad though.
Also in gaming? Lol then you're adding Cyberconnect2 in the mix, and even the first NUNS game bodies most fighting games in terms of animations.

meerak

Nah, it's not crazy at all.

Easily one of the best looking FGs of our time and some of the best anims ever too.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

IIRC they start with mocap and then clean 'em up. But yeah SFV animations are top notch (Urien looks amazing)... but of course it wouldnt be Capcom without something like Cammy's air throw.

jett

D-Member
So we're changing goalposts from bad animations to low frame animations now? Xrd's animations are top notch and they're intentionally low frame.

Also Skullgirls has the best animations in the genre. Followed by 3S. SFV's not bad though.

What goal posts? I know Xrd's intentionally uses low-frame animation. It didn't appeal to me in their 2D GGX games, and it doesn't appeal to me in Xrd, no matter how many hoops they're going through to maintain that style. SFV is the better animated game in my eyes, easy.

Pompadour

Skullgirls destroys my man

I don't really like the Skullgirls animations although they are very creative. The hits don't feel like they have any impact, likely because the characters sort of get stuck in this wincing animation for multiple hits. The attacker looks cool but the victim looks like they're frozen in place.

It's still not my favorite design, but I do think he looks a lot better in the based form. Especially the less pronounced deltoids.

Lulubop

I don't really like the Skullgirls animations although they are very creative. The hits don't feel like they have any impact, likely because the characters sort of get stuck in this wincing animation for multiple hits. The attacker looks cool but the victim looks like they're frozen in place.

Yea, I was gonna say SG's animations really lack Omph. Vsav is still my favorite because the exaggeration adds Omph.

Capcom can release all the crappy new characters they want (not saying Abigail is), but they should expect the backlash if they are still holding out on fan favourites like Sakura and Sagat, who should have been in the base roster.

sephi22

What goal posts? I know Xrd's intentionally uses low-frame animation. It didn't appeal to me in their 2D GGX games, and it doesn't appeal to me in Xrd, no matter how many hoops they're going through to maintain that style. SFV is the better animated game in my eyes, easy.
In your opinion, sure. The artstyle + animations may make the game amazing looking for you. But you said best animations in fighting games, period, then went on to say all of gaming, and I choked on my sandwich.
Skullgirls beats it in fighting games in terms of ambition and pure frames and number. NUNS beats it in terms of fidelity. This is only considering the fighting game and psuedo-fighting game genre. I'm sure there are dozens of amazingly animated games that I can't even think of right now.
filia_hdsprite_fenrirdrive2_1.gif

The reason I say Xrd looks vastly superior is because the artstyle, animations and character models flow so well together it's like an anime or a painting come to life. You can pose the dioramas and take a screenshot and hang it on your wall and people will think it's from an anime. Meanwhile the SFV characters look great zoomed in during supers but the backgrounds are ass besides empty ones like Akuma stage or the new Ryu stage. So that mishmash looks jarring and anyone can tell its from a video game. Even Injustice does a better job of meshing backgrounds with fighters, but has a different problem when fighters actually start fighting.

That's a hitstop problem or hit animation problem, which are few animations considering every character has hundreds of other animations. Also it's kind of par for the course for long combo games like Tekken and versus. No game since 3S does deformity as well as Skullgirls and skullgirls turns it upto 11.

JayEH

Capcom can release all the crappy new characters they want (not saying Abigail is), but they should expect the backlash if they are still holding out on fan favourites like Sakura and Sagat, who should have been in the base roster.

Why should they have been in base? Base roster was a good mix of old and new.

Now I hate (that's too strong a word, I prefer disappointed) Capcom more than anyone else here. That being said, Abigail's design is okay. We're talking about a video game fighting series that has a lot of quirky looking characters. Graphically speaking, he's a mess.

I may get some heat for this, but you know, opinions. The only character from the Street Fighter series that the design was bad, was Necro.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Who should they have replaced then?

Top Bottom