• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Showed the Wrong Version (extra large) of Abigail in the Reveal trailer.

Sayad

I really wish ArcSys gave an option to have the full frames or the low key frames available for the player to decide.
Doesn't work like that, some frames use completely different models used just for said frame, it's not realistic to make unique models for each frame in 60fps animation and leaving them as is would make them stand out compared to the rest of the animation. They set out to capture a certain art style and built everything in the game around it, simply trying to change that now would bring more faults than what ever the change would fix!

drac96

Capcom can release all the crappy new characters they want (not saying Abigail is), but they should expect the backlash if they are still holding out on fan favourites like Sakura and Sagat, who should have been in the base roster.

I still don't understand comments like this. So if Sakura and Sagat were in the game Capcom wouldn't be getting the backlash? It would be the same thing. If they put out a trailer for Sagat the response would probably be "Oh man, I love Sagat. Too bad SFV sucks still lol."

It's basically a meme to dunk on this game now, regardless of what happens with it. Whether or not they should have been in the base roster is a whole other thing. Personally I could do with less shotos and more original designs, but to each their own.

Pompadour

Capcom can release all the crappy new characters they want (not saying Abigail is), but they should expect the backlash if they are still holding out on fan favourites like Sakura and Sagat, who should have been in the base roster.

Not everyone agrees on who should be in a Street Fighter game and they still act like their favorite is universally beloved. I see people say things like "It's not SF without Blanka" with another ten people praying he never appears in another fighting game ever again. It's a balancing act where you try and appeal to people who know of Street Fighter but aren't huge fans while also catering to the players who continually play these games and support Capcom financially. To the former E. Honda is a no brainer because that's who they played on the SNES against their little brother. To the latter he's one of the least popular SF characters period.

There's plenty of people who just want more shotos. If there was a Shoto Clone Season tons of people would gobble that up. Max would start making videos for SFV again. That doesn't necessarily mean they should be in the game.

While I'm irritated with Capcom doing a mostly "new" character season I'm happy they're branching out and creating characters that look and feel unique. Conversely, MvCI's roster looks like it was designed by a committee shackled by a bureaucracy. The only thing that isn't safe about that roster is the exclusion of X-Men characters.

I'll grant you Sagat and Sakura should be in the game. They're popular, well liked, and most people expect them anyway so they won't be surprised when they finally make it in. After that, I don't know if there's any other obvious inclusions. I'd like if they added some more III and Alpha characters that never made it to 3D but I'm not holding my breath.

Skilletor

I still don't understand comments like this. So if Sakura and Sagat were in the game Capcom wouldn't be getting the backlash? It would be the same thing. If they put out a trailer for Sagat the response would probably be "Oh man, I love Sagat. Too bad SFV sucks still lol."

It's basically a meme to dunk on this game now, regardless of what happens with it. Whether or not they should have been in the base roster is a whole other thing. Personally I could do with less shotos and more original designs, but to each their own.

And if they had all returning characters people would bitch that it's "Just like SF4" or "rehashing SF2" or whatever and demand new characters.

Can't win.

MrCarter

Abigail is just poorly timed and a bad idea to spring right now with so many other fighting games dropping megaton character additions. They were needing to put a face up there that stated what the game was becoming to draw in folks away from the competition. Instead they came across as more niche and uncool than ever by putting a niche and uncool character up against a market flooding with stylish cool character expansions.

Think of it like this. SFV went up last in announcements then said "Why play that when you could have THIS." Then they played an ugly joke character making vroom vroom noises acting like a toddler. Not a good way to look.

What is this concern trolling. It's ironic when you say a character from a SNK game, which let's face it, are not doing very well sales wise, a couple niche anime games that hardly sets the world on fire and a SFEX HD reskin that looks very barebones will "bring about the most sales" since they are the "low minority of market interest". No company should try to pander to a larger demographic at the expense of a smaller one and I'm glad Capcom are continuing that philosophy with this season. Also Abigail is an original character who is cool as fuck that has a lot of charm and personality that makes him unique, and so far, looks FUN to play as. That's all that matters.

CIid9HT.gif

tribal24

Banned
I liked the character design. Hopefully Capcom continues to make SFV diverse.

Yup one of the funner ones. Sagar and Sakura would be cool for sure but I have a feeling when they get brought back they will get many changes and people who wanted them in are not going to like them. As always this game gets hate for stupid reasons, well good thing it's the top fighter on the scene and thank god the majority wanting old characters are not making this game. Capcom can't win on anything with this game.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
What is this concern trolling. It's ironic when you say a character from a SNK game, which let's face it, are not doing very well sales wise, a couple niche anime games that hardly sets the world on fire and a SFEX HD reskin that looks very barebones will "bring about the most sales" since they are the "low minority of market interest". No company should try to pander to a larger demographic at the expense of a smaller one and I'm glad Capcom are continuing that philosophy with this season. Also Abigail is an original character who is cool as fuck that has a lot of charm and personality that makes him unique, and so far, looks FUN to play as. That's all that matters.

CIid9HT.gif
u11OBAl.png

Sayad

SFV's awful hair, including the animation, the terrible dithering, bland UI, along with a lot of it's art direction don't have it anywhere near 3S.

Dithering got fixed in the last big patch... On PS4 anyway, was never a problem on PC if you had the specs.

New002

And if they had all returning characters people would bitch that it's "Just like SF4" or "rehashing SF2" or whatever and demand new characters.

Can't win.

I was discussing this with some friends this week when once of them said they wanted more old characters back first. I said they if Capcom does that they'll get shit on for not innovating with their characters, but if they introduce a bunch of new characters they'll get crap for not bringing back an OG first. Each OG char has fans, so someone out there is always gonna be saying "Hey why isn't _____ in it!?"

All that being said, people are free to dislike new characters. There's no need to approve of them simply because they're new. This is the first new char where I've personally been like nah this is dumb, and I don't see anything wrong with that. Time will tell if he turns out to be awesome, but for now I'm not digging him.

Skilletor

Again people hating just because agendas

It's not an agenda. It's just that some people stopped playing SF5 at different times and information has changed.

I was discussing this with some friends this week when once of them said they wanted more old characters back first. I said they if Capcom does that they'll get shit on for not innovating with their characters, but if they introduce a bunch of new characters they'll get crap for not bringing back an OG first. Each OG char has fans, so someone out there is always gonna be saying "Hey why isn't _____ in it!?"

All that being said, people are free to dislike new characters. There's no need to approve of them simply because they're new. This is the first new char where I've personally been like nah this is dumb, and I don't see anything wrong with that. Time will tell if he turns out to be awesome, but for now I'm not digging him.

For sure. The only time I'll touch Abigail is when I need to lab against him and to do his trials.

I don't, and won't, need to like every character in a fighting game. It's a weird mentality if people think they do.

tribal24

Banned

Yeah for sure you don't have to like new characters just becuase there new. I'm all for new characters becuase the og characters are going to get move changes anyways and people are going to bitch at that regardless. Yeah Capcom can't win either way. I would love Sakura and sagar but a lot of people are not going to expect move changes. Already know when those characters drop there's going to be a thread on that.

ArjanN

Since the whole point of his character is that he's a huge freak it seems pretty obvious this wasn't a mistake.

HardRojo

Gonna get ready to Vroom Vroom all these fools. Abigail is looking better every day lol, I really need to get the season pass soon, not planning to spend FM on characters at all.

Slipups like this don't even shock me anymore.

I love unorthodox characters that gel with me, but Abigail is just not appealing to me.

CIid9HT.gif
The costume on the right is sooo good. I'm not quite sure WHO or what it reminds me of though. The red hair is sending me.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The costume on the right is sooo good. I'm not quite sure WHO or what it reminds me of though. The red hair is sending me.

He looks like one of those FOTNS-era goons---wonder if there's a specific one because the hair reminds me of someone I've seen before in either that or like Sakigake!

I saw this thread earlier and spent a good while searching for the supposed fixed model. Hours later checking in again I discover that 'thing' is the fixed model? Bar lowered. Hands down the worst design in anything I've ever seen.

It's like they saw this guy:

And said " What if we dial that up to 1000?"

Top Bottom