• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Showed the Wrong Version (extra large) of Abigail in the Reveal trailer.

sephi22

How do you fuck something like that up? Jesus.
dddddd_1328558736.jpg

PcCrl.png

cackhyena

In your opinion, sure. The artstyle + animations may make the game amazing looking for you. But you said best animations in fighting games, period, then went on to say all of gaming, and I choked on my sandwich.
Skullgirls beats it in fighting games in terms of ambition and pure frames and number. NUNS beats it in terms of fidelity. This is only considering the fighting game and psuedo-fighting game genre. I'm sure there are dozens of amazingly animated games that I can't even think of right now.

What?

I'd still agree with Jett that it beats any other fighting game out in terms of actual smooth animations.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
No one they should have just been there in the game.

Ken
Ryu
Chun Li
Sakura
Akuma

Should be the in the roster of every SF by default.
Well, they released the game with 16 characters for one reason or another, that's why I asked. It should've probably had more than 16, but even then I wouldn't have wanted it to be those two.
Kind of a boring selection of shotos tbh.

Plus other characters obviously. Im just saying they should be in every SF. Its no coincidence that both SF x T and SFV failed initially cause Sakura wasnt in the starting roster.
I mean she's popular, but not THAT popular.

sephi22

What?

I'd still agree with Jett that it beats any other fighting game out in terms of actual smooth animations.
Skullgirls has ambitious animations for even things like regular attacks and such, just in terms of fanservice or referencing other games. For eg: Peacock's move where you hold the button and something falls out of the sky. They went as far as animating the whole road roller da sequence for a small gag like that.

There are other examples like Eliza who's body deforms, skin peels off and skeleton pops up for normal attacks, etc. They're ambitious in the sense that they put in tons of amount of work and make grand animations for even vanilla attacks that are not supers or special moves. Compare them to SF animations, which are smooth and realistic, but a punch is a punch. Ryu's not morphing into another character while throwing it like Double is for example.

There's no real guage of smoothness. Animations appear smooth or stuttery. 3S is smooth, SFV is smooth, Skullgirls is smooth. But in 3S if you punch Hugo he deforms during his animations and you can see the exaggerated hit animations. SG is that taken to an extreme. With all else being equal, Skullgirls wins just because of what they're achieving while being as smooth as SFV

kunonabi

A fighting game character design should be evaluated in a holistic context taking animation and move set into account. Abigail looked good on the showcase stream from Winner Stays On.

He's ugly (on purpose) but his personality comes through in his gameplay. That's a good design in my book.

His personality is just as dumb as the rest of him though.

Bossking

Banned

Ken
Ryu
Chun Li
Sakura
Akuma

Sakura, seriously? That's your pick? Someone who didn't even debut until Alpha 2? Might as well say Dudley should be in every SF.

Plus other characters obviously. Im just saying they should be in every SF. Its no coincidence that both SF x T and SFV failed initially cause Sakura wasnt in the starting roster.

No one fucking cares about Sakura that much.

Are you basically saying they should have just included a shitload more characters with no regard for quality? Developers don't have endless resources.

cackhyena

Skullgirls has ambitious animations for even things like regular attacks and such, just in terms of fanservice or referencing other games. For eg: Peacock's move where you hold the button and something falls out of the sky. They went as far as animating the whole road roller da sequence for a small gag like that.

There are other examples like Eliza who's body deforms, skin peels off and skeleton pops up for normal attacks, etc. They're ambitious in the sense that they put in tons of amount of work and make grand animations for even vanilla attacks that are not supers or special moves. Compare them to SF animations, which are smooth and realistic, but a punch is a punch. Ryu's not morphing into another character while throwing it like Double is for example

Ah, I see.

Pompadour

That's a hitstop problem or hit animation problem, which are few animations considering every character has hundreds of other animations. Also it's kind of par for the course for long combo games like Tekken and versus. No game since 3S does deformity as well as Skullgirls and skullgirls turns it upto 11.

I'm judging the animations as a total package and in the context of the gameplay. I think the attacker looks great in Skullgirls because of the game's animations but the way the receiver of the attacks reacts leaves a lot to be desired. For whatever reason, a lot of attacks make the characters look like they have Japan only anime game animation when they get hit.

For comparison, look at some of my favorite hit animations in fighting games period.

colorswap.php

Skullgirls characters look like they're no selling when they get hit where Hugo here is putting over whoever is whipping his ass.

SFIV is the better looking game, and this isn't even an opinion. Just look at Ken.
I know this is a shitpost, but Ken looks like that meme of the blond bowlcut kid with the beard in SFIV.

Capcom can release all the crappy new characters they want (not saying Abigail is), but they should expect the backlash if they are still holding out on fan favourites like Sakura and Sagat, who should have been in the base roster.
*SF's launch roster is full of World Warriors*
"Wow, look at how lazy Capcom is. They just port everything to the new game instead of making actually new stuff. It's like they want this game to bomb."

*Decent/few WWs in SF launch roster*
"Wow, look at how greedy Capcom is. They're just gonna charge you for characters that should've already been in the game. It's like they want this game to bomb."

*Few years of DLC and still no WWs*
"Wow, look at how stupid Capcom is. I'm sitting here with my wallet open waiting for my favorite characters, but they refuse to release them. It's like they want this game to bomb."

Literally no way to win.
So he goes from big as fuck in normal to bigger than fuck in V-Trigger.
Lol

Ken
Ryu
Chun Li
Sakura
Akuma

Fuck that. I don't want four fucking shotos to waste roster space in a series with as many great and interesting characters as SF. Especially not all at once. Three should be the absolute max, but even that's arguably too much.

Besides, Akuma's never been in the first version of a SF game. He has something like the Vergil curse, and I almost think it's more fitting to have it like that.

Pompadour

There's a lot of characters that were in successful SF games but not in V or SFxT, you know.

Using your argument, I can say SF4 succeeded where V and SFxT failed because it had Seth and El Fuerte.

LordKano

I don't see why you're arguing about which game is the less ugly between SFIV and SFV when you have the GOAT 3rd Strike, still one of the best looking fighting game today.

I don't see why you're arguing about which game is the less ugly between SFIV and SFV when you have the GOAT 3rd Strike, still one of the best looking fighting game today.
3S just barely beats SFV aesthetically. SFV animations, color balance, and (imo) stages all outdo 3S. If SFV models were a bit more realistic, then I'd say it looks better.

3S just barely beats SFV aesthetically. SFV animations, color balance, and (imo) stages all outdo 3S. If SFV models were a bit more realistic, then I'd say it looks better.

stages are ugly as sin, colors balance is all over the place sometimes it looks like a mess

Ivan 3414

The design is good for what the character tries to be. Moreso when you take into account his animations.The fact that you don't understand this character is not designed for you and you mistake that for bad design makes me wonder whether you act like this on a regular basis.

Is music you don't like instantly bad music? Movies you don't like bad movies? Games you don't like bad games? Seems like a very narrow way of thinking, to be honest.

If people don't like a character design or a music genre or whatever, they'll decide those designs or genres are bad. That doesn't mean their opinion is objective. Opinions are inherently subjective and I never said otherwise here, so anyone's personal opinion on Abigail doesn't invalidate someone else's preference.

Regardless, developers generally design video game characters to appeal as many players as they can, so I'd love for you to show me how you decided Abigail isn't designed for me or anyone else who doesn't like the character.

Acerac

Banned
You may love functions, but a lot of people like character design. Like others have said, it doesn't matter how this guy plays. If the design is ass people won't touch him.
Sometimes you have to ignore the majority to appease people like myself who like offbeat designs.

It's not a terrible decision to cater to niches on occasion.

jett

D-Member
Skullgirls beats it in fighting games in terms of ambition and pure frames and number.
What nonsense are you talking about? Skullgirls isn't animated at 60fps. For obvious reasons, SFV (and most 3D fighters) would win terms of pure frames, thanks to animation interpolation. Comparing 2D vs 3D doesn't make much sense either way in this aspect. SFV is smoother by default.
NUNS beats it in terms of fidelity.
What? What, pray tell, is SFV supposed to be faithful to? What kind of comparison is this?
This is only considering the fighting game and psuedo-fighting game genre. I'm sure there are dozens of amazingly animated games that I can't even think of right now.
filia_hdsprite_fenrirdrive2_1.gif
The animation in Skullgirls is really creative. I guess it's a shame SFV doesn't have characters that turn into half-wolves or have arms in their heads.

The reason I say Xrd looks vastly superior is because the artstyle, animations and character models flow so well together it's like an anime or a painting come to life.
You can pose the dioramas and take a screenshot and hang it on your wall and people will think it's from an anime.
Meanwhile the SFV characters look great zoomed in during supers but the backgrounds are ass besides empty ones like Akuma stage or the new Ryu stage. So that mishmash looks jarring and anyone can tell its from a video game. Even Injustice does a better job of meshing backgrounds with fighters, but has a different problem when fighters actually start fighting.

Look man, Xrd is a really pretty game, main reason I bought it on Steam was due to the graphics(then I spent five hours playing it and remembered I don't fucking like Guilty Gear).

All that said, I'm always going to prefer how SFV looks in motion. I find the animation in Xrd limited by its strict adherence not just to its anime aesthetics but to previous GGX games as well. Despite being a 2015 3D game, I'm pretty sure 3rd Strike's characters have more frames of animation.

I'm judging the animations as a total package and in the context of the gameplay. I think the attacker looks great in Skullgirls because of the game's animations but the way the receiver of the attacks reacts leaves a lot to be desired. For whatever reason, a lot of attacks make the characters look like they have Japan only anime game animation when they get hit.

For comparison, look at some of my favorite hit animations in fighting games period.

colorswap.php

Skullgirls characters look like they're no selling when they get hit where Hugo here is putting over whoever is whipping his ass.

SFV is not up to par with 3S there, but right now I think it's the best in terms of the feeling it provides when you land a hit. Especially when you crush counter someone, it always feels great.
pPRADwf.gif

Ip41yMn.gif

hPEsywM.gif

Can never get tired of watching Mika do a Brimstone. The natural flexing of the muscles, almost crumpling under the weight of the opponent, paired with the subtle yet excellent camerawork accentuating it all, it looks outstanding. A heck of a lot of work has gone into this aspect of SFV's presentation, and it always annoys me when it's ignored, disregarded or worse shat upon.

ec0ec0

There's plenty of people thinking that the size change is intentional or something.

Maybe someone wants to make a gif of Abigail shrinking after his v-triggers runs out? which shows that there should be an animation for it. There's a link to it in the op:

Here's the bugged version (Abigail does not shrink after his v-trigger runs out):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5zKWGwunVE&t=2m

So, in the non bugged version he starts the fight being a bit smaller, grows a bit when activating v-trigger, and goes back to normal when his v-trigger runs out. In the bugged version however, he starts the fight bigger than normal, and he stays that way for the whole fight.

AAK

I really wish ArcSys gave an option to have the full frames or the low key frames available for the player to decide.

Skilletor

If people don't like a character design or a music genre or whatever, they'll decide those designs or genres are bad. That doesn't mean their opinion is objective. Opinions are inherently subjective and I never said otherwise here, so anyone's personal opinion on Abigail doesn't invalidate someone else's preference.

Regardless, developers generally design video game characters to appeal as many players as they can, so I'd love for you to show me how you decided Abigail isn't designed for me or anyone else who doesn't like the character.

I don't believe that's true. We wouldn't have the roster we do in these games if it were.

Playstyle diversity is important in fighters, and a character like Abigail isn't going to be as popular as somebody like Chun or Ryu just because of the way they play. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't have Potemkins, Fausts, Dhalsims, or Tagers in fighters.

jett

D-Member
There's plenty of people thinking that the size change is intentional or something.

Maybe someone wants to make a gif of Abigail shrinking after his v-triggers runs out? which shows that there should be an animation for it. There's a link to it in the op:

Here's the bugged version (Abigail does not shrink after his v-trigger runs out):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5zKWGwunVE&t=2m

They even did this for the character introduction video? This has to have been on purpose. This is just odd.

kunonabi

SFV's awful hair, including the animation, the terrible dithering, bland UI, along with a lot of it's art direction don't have it anywhere near 3S.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They even did this for the character introduction video? This has to have been on purpose. This is just odd.
They probably just had a bugged version when making the videos. Wouldn't be surprised if Matt made both at the same time.

ec0ec0

nah, there's animations that they made (Abigail growing bigger and shrinking) but that can't be seen. You don't do that on purpose.

El Sabroso

aw really sad they didn't show that properly, at least Abigail seems fun, the only negative thing I can think of this character is the fact that a joke (this might not be the case in the end but his animations say otherwise) character is a DLC for this game, anything else like the theme music, his animations, skins, specially that backdash animation, everything looks fun.

L Thammy

He does look better like this, but it doesn't nearly fix the problem for me. The reason why I don't care for Abigail is that he feels really unfocused and blasé despite the over the top muscles.

So, to start off with, the character they had to work with was Andore but with a different head. I'll give Capcom credit for that; they didn't go the easy route and select a character that was already interesting, they took on a challenge. The differentiation between Abigail and Andore is that Abigail's name and face paint invokes black metal. So that was the idea. He's a big metalhead.

Capcom had already adapted Andore to Street Fighter as Hugo. They kept him in the same costume but made him bigger than the rest of the cast, and also made him an unskilled fighter as opposed to the legitimate wrestlers. And then Abigail is the same thing. Like, they've both got the spotted tank top combo with the jeans and something hanging off the side of the belt. They're both bigger than the rest of the cast, they're both unskilled fighters. His moveset's totally different, but that much of the design and concet is the same.

At that point he's sounding pretty boring. But he's still got the metal aspect to differentiate him, right? He's still got the corpse paint. Capcom could play that up. So they added a choker, and... well, no, that's pretty much it on the visual department. And it's kind of hard to notice when the attention is thrown to his gigantic arms. They also changed the spots on his tank top to skulls, but I have to imagine that's because Hugo's still got spots on his.

So we dropped the ball on the metal thing. We're not going to take it out, but let's come up with something else we can design the character around instead. What can we do to make it so that when you look at the character, you instantly know what he's about? Tires. Let's go with tires. So they shove some tires around his arms. Tire tracks around his legs. Tires on his belt. He's the tire man. I guess the idea is that it's supposed to tie into his Nitro Charge - he rushes you like a car about to run you down - but that seems kind of an overly narrow thing to design him around. He's not particularly car-like otherwise.

And then they throw on the maple leaf hair. I probably wouldn't care if I thought the rest of it was okay, but trying to emphasize the character's nationality by slapping the flag on him is pretty weak too. As opposed to Guile's military look, E. Honda's kabuki facepaint, etc.

Having said that, he does have good animations, and he looks like he's fun to play as. But it just strikes me as if they didn't really settle on an idea for how to make the guy stand out and he feels boring as a result. Or maybe it's just that I'm subconsciously comparing him to Potemkin.

fresquito

1) That's why the expression I don't like X thing exists.
2) I think it is self explanatory. You think this design is bad because it's not appealing to you. The design is objectively good, though, since it matches the criteria of what the character should represent, thus it's not meant for you.

I think the cool bro and cute waifu archetype is already well covered, so catering to those not catered yet doesn't sound so terrible to me.

Top Bottom