• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom started adding DRM Enigma Protector to their back catalog of games (prevents modding, cheating and reeduces FPS)

Draugoth

Gold Member
Apparently Capcom is patching their old catalogue of games to use their awful "Enigma" DRM.

According to Steam users and forums, Capcom started adding DRM Enigma Protector to their back catalog of games. This prevents modding, Cheat engine, and Reduces performance by up to 10-15 fps -Stutters.

GDfAzGMWYAAdJ8x

GbM9wj.png

Last edited:

Juza

Last month they removed Denovo from Ghost Trick and added Enigma, which suggests their plans are to use Denovo in the initial sales window then they will switch to Enigma Protector after that, because Denovo is expensive, but it seems this DRM has its own issues that were not taken into account.

Mowcno

Adding it for such an old title doesn't make sense when there are plenty of pirated builds available already. My guess is that they are testing it on an older title to see what issues arise and the backlash before deciding whether to implement it in new releases.

T4keD0wN

Retroactively?
Why are they wasting resources on this rather then using them on something that will make them money instead of losing them, their leadership and management should seriously rethink their business strategy.

How is this not illegal to do without offering full refunds is baffling. What a joke.

Last edited:
Same if you want to cheat yourself through a single player game - who gives a shit in all honesty.
The reasoning is probably that you all create awesome nude mods and then put videos on it on YouTube. “Hurting the brand and reputation of the publisher”. Because every time I see modded content I immediately think that the publisher did a crap job protecting their software. /s

But really, the reason is reputation protection, no matter how bad the reason sort of is, I can also sort of understand it from the publishers perspective.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Some fat bitch somewhere might get offended though.
Seems to me that it would more offend some anorectic/flat chested rather than a fat bitch.

Generally the problem which can be seen through mods is that gaming characters are mostly within some tight range of body types, so why not let people spec it up themselves to their liking. I may not like it, but I don't have to play it like that. This to me seems like a definitely body positive mod.

Sure we also can talk about diabetes and all that shit, but this is within the land of fantasy, not reality

Reactions: GHG

Holammer

This is 128% positive PR
I'm pretty sure it's an automatic ban if you post that on REE. Those people and their opinions still hold sway in the industry. Eventually Capcom will turn up on Sweet Baby Inc's client list at this rate.

Had I been in Capcom's shoes I would have added a mod launcher to PC versions and make modding as friction free as possible.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I'm pretty sure it's an automatic ban if you post that on REE. Those people and their opinions still hold sway in the industry. Eventually Capcom will turn up on Sweet Baby Inc's client list at this rate.

Had I been in Capcom's shoes I would have added a mod launcher to PC versions and make modding as friction free as possible.
As per above, pretty ironic, that they are hating on certain body type, inflated or not. Very much far right level bigotry, not wow

kiphalfton

The DRM crap is insane on PC gaming, not to mention launchers as well

If it didn't fuck with performance, I guess that would be one thing. But that generally isn't the case. In which case there are no real positives for the consumer.

Besides that, it's not like people haven't cracked DRM almost every time (if not every time) a game has it. So really the only people they're hurting is the people who buy the game.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's just stupid.

Thankfully, Steam can be coaxed into downloading an old version of said game - and you can turn off automatic updates and cloud saves on a per-game basis. Fuck all this.

graywolf323

That's just stupid.

Thankfully, Steam can be coaxed into downloading an old version of said game - and you can turn off automatic updates and cloud saves on a per-game basis. Fuck all this.
that or just we’re back to the point where you have to crack your own fucking purchased games because the publishers are being gorram morons with DRM again

like the only way to play Tony Hawk 1 & 2 offline (before they patched it so you can on the Steam Deck) was to use cracks, even though the game was already 3+ years old by the time it got released on Steam 🤦🏼‍♂️

As always, pirates get the best experience. What a joke.
pretty much… 😒 hopefully Capcom learns from the backlash & we don’t see other pubs follow this stupidity

00_Zer0

Retroactively?
Why are they wasting resources on this rather then using them on something that will make them money instead of losing them, their leadership and management should seriously rethink their business strategy.

How is this not illegal to do without offering full refunds is baffling. What a joke.
They have at least one old game still for sale on Steam called Bionic Commando ReArmed. It doesn't work without significant workarounds to get working on PC, yet they waste their effort on anti consumer stuff like this. Someone is going to come along and break the drm anyway so what is the point? Look at all RE Mods that allow VR, now we will have to break the DRM or go to the high seas to get a copy of what was already ours just to play modded games. For fucks sake be like Valve and Sega and just allow the community to have fun.

My brother has Street Fighter 6, which already runs like garbage. I guess this will fuck it up even more, but he already payed for Ed and Akuma so there is really no escape...

I am happy that the classic Resident Evil 4 HD has a widely distributed older executable and Resident Evil 3 Remake has a pre-RT beta branch on Steam. I already cracked my copy of Devil May Cry 5 as well. Sucks for the regular consumer though.

Last edited:

Comandr

I really don’t see the point in doing this. I don’t want to have to crack my own fuckin games. I’m literally playing MHW right now solo with a bunch of mods. It really sucks that paying customers keep getting punished by shit like this.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
If it didn't fuck with performance, I guess that would be one thing. But that generally isn't the case. In which case there are no real positives for the consumer.

Besides that, it's not like people haven't cracked DRM almost every time (if not every time) a game has it. So really the only people they're hurting is the people who buy the game.
Assuming this isn't a stupid accident then the point would be to sell remasters, remakes and VR versions, so they want the originals stuck in time and flawed.

Top Bottom