• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom started adding DRM Enigma Protector to their back catalog of games (prevents modding, cheating and reeduces FPS)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
can't fault them. Pirating is rampant... although it makes no sense adding to old games lol. These are already pirated

kiphalfton

Assuming this isn't a stupid accident then the point would be to sell remasters, remakes and VR versions, so they want the originals stuck in time and flawed.

Remasters - nope not a thing with Capcom (tell me the last time they remastered a game)

Remakes - these games were all just remade (RE2, RE3, RE4) and RE7 and RE8 are still fairly recent

VR - Lol as if they're going to release RE4, RE7, and RE8 outside Sony ecosystem (if they haven't done it already, they aren't going to do it; that and it was likely funded by Sony)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Remasters - nope not a thing with Capcom (tell me the last time they remastered a game)

Remakes - these games were all just remade (RE2, RE3, RE4) and RE7 and RE8 are still fairly recent

VR - Lol as if they're going to release RE4, RE7, and RE8 outside Sony ecosystem (if they haven't done it already, they aren't going to do it; that and it was likely funded by Sony)
Remasters - RE4 Ultimate HD, Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen - 7 or so years ago so yeah they seem to have walked away from remasters in favor of remakes.
Yes those games have all been remade so you want to push people to buy the new remake not just mod their original version.
VR - again selling the rights to RE4 original to Meta or RE4 to Sony as exclusives is gonna be more lucrative if they are exclusive.

Last edited:

Danknugz

still waiting on dead rising 5. the lack of this game and it's prior cancellation really tainted cap com in my eyes.

MikeM

A viral video of a fat Ashley from Resident Evil 4 is not considered good publicity in these trying times.
Because Sega and many western focused Japanese developers like Capcom are all aboard the political correctness train.

PCMR no more? Mods are a major reason why people choose PC over console.
GDfFLjgXwAA0VGG

Holy shit, fuck off Capcom, you colossal morons.
When you state all mods allow for a performance advantage vs your peers (i.e cheats), then you are just trying too hard when the game is singleplayer lol

Capcom asking to lose money now? Too many wins I guess making their ego bloat.

nial

Gold Member
People are surprised by this? They've been against the modding scene for some time, which is expected as they're the worst out of all the major Japanese publishers.

Lokaum D+

fuck Capcom and fuck then too for locking game mechanics on DLC, been playins MHW and since i dont have money for the DLC i cant use the claw, what a shit move.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I'm a broken record at this point, but my God am I done with PC gaming. It just keeps getting worse.
? It’s not like you’re going to get more frames and mods on consoles.
So what’s you plan? Quit gaming?

Just chill, the PC community will find a way around this crap.

Pejo

I fucking knew it. Capcom villain arc is fully under way. There's been multiple signs over the past few years with awful monetization on the rise in their games and the censoring "modern audience" focus shit.

WHY did they have to do this before DD2 came out? Games like that would have so much to offer the player with mods. Like a Skyrim with actual good combat...

//DEVIL//

Does Capcom know we only buy it on PC so we can play as Jill nude?

I mean it's common sense by now. I do not want an ass jiggle stuttering.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I know but quitting PC gaming because of this?

It's not just this. It's the broken ports and stuttering issues that seem to be getting worse with every passing month. Now Capcom - the devs who probably has the most stuff I care about on PC - is going back and breaking what worked a decade ago. Because why not? I don't want to deal with it anymore.

Pejo

I'm reading up on this on various sites. Look like they walked back the Revelations update (for now), but only because it broke some in game items, likely not because of the backlash.

I rarely get excessively fired up about shitty publisher decisions, but Capcom retroactively adding mod-breaking DRM into old titles crosses a very clear line for me, personally. I will definitely drop some review bombs and spread awareness about this at a minimum. Might not seem like much, but with as lazy of a fuck as I am, if they have me motivated then they should know that they fucked up.

Fredrik

It's not just this. It's the broken ports and stuttering issues that seem to be getting worse with every passing month. Now Capcom - the devs who probably has the most stuff I care about on PC - is going back and breaking what worked a decade ago. Because why not? I don't want to deal with it anymore.
Shader stutter is annoying but I could never ever quit PC gaming, even with issues I still think it’s so far ahead of console gaming that I could skip having consoles alltogether. Steam Deck in a dock has started to infiltrate the living room now as well. Low fps and visuals but sharing saves with the PC makes it a perfect companion device for a PC.

StereoVsn

I'm reading up on this on various sites. Look like they walked back the Revelations update (for now), but only because it broke some in game items, likely not because of the backlash.

I rarely get excessively fired up about shitty publisher decisions, but Capcom retroactively adding mod-breaking DRM into old titles crosses a very clear line for me, personally. I will definitely drop some review bombs and spread awareness about this at a minimum. Might not seem like much, but with as lazy of a fuck as I am, if they have me motivated then they should know that they fucked up.
Yep, planning to do the same. F this shit. Retroactively enshitifying old games is a new low for them.

thatJohann

I don’t game on PC so I’m not as informed on piracy. Can someone explain why companies apply Denuvo and Enigma despite all the performance drawbacks?

And why do other companies not use them sometimes?

Serious question, just wanna understand it.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I don’t game on PC so I’m not as informed on piracy. Can someone explain why companies apply Denuvo and Enigma despite all the performance drawbacks?

And why do other companies not use them sometimes?

Serious question, just wanna understand it.

Denuvo takes time to crack. Games sell the most (and get pirated) the most in the first few weeks of release. If they can buy themselves a month with Denuvo where the game isn’t cracked they make more money theoretically. Some companies will go back months after release and remove Denuvo. The performance hits are overblown however.

Why would you apply DRM to an old release that has long been cracked? Who the fuck knows.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
This has to be old Japanese executives completely out of touch making this insanely fucking psychotic decision, no one that has even a semi formed understanding of the PC space would ever do something this exotically delusional.

Capcom, fire the people that approved this, it's going to create a surge of negativity that you will regret.

This inept and pathetically incompetent decision will provide you ZERO monetary benefit.

Expect steam refund request on old games, expect review bombing on a massive scale, expect piracy to increase.

Personally, my recently formed interest in Monster Hunter Wilds and DD2 has just died a still born death.

The sheer fucking hubris of this decision is off the charts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom