• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom started adding DRM Enigma Protector to their back catalog of games (prevents modding, cheating and reeduces FPS)

Hudo

Steam itself is already a fucking DRM tool. To add yet another is stupid redundancy.

A more effective and less fucked-up anti-cheat measure could be a community-based one, imho. Let people be able to mark someone as cheater. And if that person gets flagged/labeled enough times, a "cheater" tag will appear next to that user's name.
I know this could be abused, so maybe make it not permanent but rather based on the average "label increments" over time. Would also give a cheater the opportunity to unfuck himself/herself after a while, when he/she decides to stop doing it. And as long as someone has that label active, he/she cannot join an online game.

I think one could implement a system to detect whether someone gets mobbed with this system by looking whether it is always the same people flagging/labeling that player, even if they did not have a match recently.

RhyDin

..I'm fine with this if it means we get a new RE:Outbreak. All their Resident Evil titles online have been laughably bad in terms of lack of anti-cheat and ease of cheating for the common man (firing up Cheat Engine and clicking the speed button allowed you to go super fast and kill everyone 50 times a minute and they couldn't touch you).

Soodanim

REFramework alone is damn near essential, you can't just go around breaking that. Whichever moron in the upper floors of Capcom is making this happen needs a slap.

Take away the mod to skip in-engine FMVs in RE7 and you take away me replaying it. Let me have the FOV I want in your games and disable your shit vignette.

Also, Claire's face in 2R looks shit and I modded that chipmunk into something better. Don't be mad that modders do it better than you do.

They'd better not touch OG 4 when I have 4 HD installed.

Having said all that, one thing Bethesda taught everyone by constantly fucking with Skyrim is wha tk disabled Steam updates. Lock that manifest file down to read-only, or if necessary find the repo download for an older version and force that to install.

Futaleufu

Save your original exe's. See if replacing those afterwards works.
I remember half a year ago a late Assassins Creed 4 update broke the online/automatic pirate sieges. A workaround was to use the original exe, so this could work this time too.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Sorry PC master race. No more ripping out Street Fight models to use for CGI hentai for you.

It was sweet while it lasted though :p
Stable Diffusion is already making that obsolete.

You can already train/share models easily from screenshots alone that replicate the exact look of the characters faithfully.

Video diffusion is getting better every day, so in a couple of years the PC Master Race can use those big GPUs to type whatever you want into a prompt to make Chun Li do it.

Crayon

I remember half a year ago a late Assassins Creed 4 update broke the online/automatic pirate sieges. A workaround was to use the original exe, so this could work this time too.

For DMC 5, Capcom accidentally put a denuvo free version up at first so that exe is available and swapping it out works just fine. So yeah I don't know if that'll work in every case, but save them while you've got them!

Fuck
GDfFLjgXwAA0VGG

Holy shit, fuck off Capcom, you colossal morons.
Fuck Capcom.

Soodanim

How to stop Steam games from updating:
  1. Find a game's Steam app ID. The most reliable way is to find the game on Steam's website
    1. RE4OG is store.steampowered.com/app/254700/Resident_Evil_4_2005/
  2. Go to the steamapps folder on the drive your game is installed on
  3. Find the appmanifest_XXXX.acf file that corresponds to your game
    1. RE4OG is appmanifest_254700.acf
  4. Set the file to read only
  5. Steam should no longer be able to update your game regardless of how you launch it

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
  1. Find a game's Steam app ID. The most reliable way is to find the game on Steam's website
    1. RE4OG is https://store.steampowered.com/app/[B]54700[/B][SIZE=2]/Resident_Evil_4_2005/[/SIZE]
  4. Steam should no longer be able to update your game regardless of how you launch it
I think people can guess but you do not actually say what to do ;).

1. RE4OG is store.steampowered.com/app/254700/Resident_Evil_4_2005/
  4. Set the file to read only
  5. Steam should no longer be able to update your game regardless of how you launch it

Or just pirate the games who cares you've already paid for them. Because with this brilliant "solution" you have to keep them installed forever.

Ozzie666

..I'm fine with this if it means we get a new RE:Outbreak. All their Resident Evil titles online have been laughably bad in terms of lack of anti-cheat and ease of cheating for the common man (firing up Cheat Engine and clicking the speed button allowed you to go super fast and kill everyone 50 times a minute and they couldn't touch you).
RE: Outbreak file 1 and 2, were so far ahead of their time. Great experiences though even with PS2 and poor internet, loading if you didn't have th hard drive. I'm not sure if it would work as is, but defenitely seems like something they could update to modern sensiblites. Some crazy people still play this on emulation with networking. Devoted.

Jesb

shit like this is why hackers do what they do. Any takers on exposing Capcom like Sony did recently.

Soodanim

Or just pirate the games who cares you've already paid for them. Because with this brilliant "solution" you have to keep them installed forever.
Are you okay? Do you want someone to talk to? You seem very angry that I posted something that doesn't cover 100% of use cases despite me not claiming that it does, so I'm concerned that you're going through some tough times and misplacing your anger. Everything okay at home? We're here for you.

nkarafo

Yup. There is no saving this industry.

Im not going to let any of my games catch that virus. I rather crack them and remove them from my library.

I would like to add that so far nobody has reliably proven any performance degradation in the affected titles, not that it makes the inclusion of Enigma any less shady/slap in the face but just to have some actual fact correction in the lights of recent news.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Looks like enigma DRM is being added to other Capcom games as well?
I was looking at the Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 but then I noticed the reviews were red (bad) and when I look then they mention enigma DRM being added to the game.
Capcom, why?

Soodanim

I would like to add that so far nobody has reliably proven any performance degradation in the affected titles, not that it makes the inclusion of Enigma any less shady/slap in the face but just to have some actual fact correction in the lights of recent news.
I Googled off the back of this, and found this piece: https://www.pcgamesn.com/resident-evil/revelations-enigma-drm

Fluffy is the author of Fluffy Mod Manager, THE Capcom game mod manager. If he's saying it's not quite as bad as it seems, then I'm willing to hear another side of it.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Not going to buy anything from Capcom until they'll stop adding this shit to their games and will remove it from every single one of them. Are you seriously learned nothing from RE8, Capcom? Modding is one of the things that keep your games alive long after release and for years and years, so why THE FUCK are you messing with it while also making performance worse?

I Googled off the back of this, and found this piece: https://www.pcgamesn.com/resident-evil/revelations-enigma-drm

Fluffy is the author of Fluffy Mod Manager, THE Capcom game mod manager. If he's saying it's not quite as bad as it seems, then I'm willing to hear another side of it.
I worked with fluffyquack to get the save transfer tool for dragon's dogma working properly, he knows exactly what he's doing.
But of course people will ignore what he says in favour of outrage.

I worked with fluffyquack to get the save transfer tool for dragon's dogma working properly, he knows exactly what he's doing.
And the amount of youtubers parroting the same outdated information about current situation is..unreal.

Soodanim

Yeah, when the dude whose name is all over an entire developer's franchises modding scenes speaks on it I listen to his thoughts.

That said, Linux/Steam Deck support being broken by this is beyond consumer unfriendly, and not at least giving relevant people time to develop support before completely breaking games on entire platforms is not something anyone can really defend.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I think it just makes things worse. This drm isn't even doing whats supposed to do, only causing headaches for end users. Why use it at all then?

Labadal

whatever you say mate.
Nah, mate. Your argument is bullshit. When DRM breaks your game, it's not okay. There's no way to defend it.

I own games with Denuvo DRM. I don't love the idea, but at least with that crap, I can still play my games (for now).

Top Bottom