• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Vancouver almost rebooted Dino Crisis, chose Knights of Aegis(GnG) instead

Zukkoyaki

Little surprised by the vitriol toward Capcom Vancouver. Sure a lot of folks didn't like Dead Rising 4 but they were the same studio that did Dead Rising 2 and 3 which to my knowledge were well received.

Jawmuncher

Little surprised by the vitriol toward Capcom Vancouver. Sure a lot of folks didn't like Dead Rising 4 but they were the same studio that did Dead Rising 2 and 3 which to my knowledge were well received.

It would depend on how much Capcom Japan was involved. DR3 and 4 were more or less them doing their own thing. DR2 and OTR Capcom Japan was pretty overhead still.

ev0

The guys they put on DR4 pretty much never worked on a Dead Rising game before and their claims to fame were things like Kinect Joyride and FIFA.
I dont think its the same guys there anymore or they were on other projects. I dont think the guys on DR4 ever really played a Dead Rising game more than they had to for work.

Zukkoyaki

It would depend on how much Capcom Japan was involved. DR3 and 4 were more or less them doing their own thing. DR2 and OTR Capcom Japan was pretty overhead still.

The guys they put on DR4 pretty much never worked on a Dead Rising game before and their claims to fame were things like Kinect Joyride and FIFA.
I dont think its the same guys there anymore or they were on other projects. I dont think the guys on DR4 ever really played a Dead Rising game more than they had to for work.
Gotcha.

Even so, I'm not the type to write off a studio because of a disappointing sequel. Hopefully whatever they release next delivers and earns some goodwill.

Would you rather Capcom divert resources away from a new RE for Dino Crises?

That sounds good, RE could use a break if it means reviving a classic. Then again, I have zero faith Capcom would ever do the series justice with a reboot that would actually be a Dino Crisis game; rather than some clone of an already existing modern game. Basically if I had the choice I would prefer no reboot, but if it meant no more RE, I would choose yes to reboot.

Jackpot

Banned
b74.jpg

EmiPrime

Capcom Vancouver are among the worst "AAA" studios in the business: Everything from their art design, game systems and design, controls, technical chops, QA and writing is bottom of the barrel. They make ugly games that play awfully and have unappealing characters. Dino Crisis dodged a bullet; better off dead than being exhumed by these charlatans and having the series desecrated.

BadWolf

Capcom Vancouver are among the worst "AAA" studios in the business: Everything from their art design, game systems and design, controls, technical chops, QA and writing is bottom of the barrel. They make ugly games that play awfully and have unappealing characters. Dino Crisis dodged a bullet; better off dead than being exhumed by these charlatans and having the series desecrated.

If it must be a western dev then I'd rather the Lost Planet 3 guys work on it than CV.

All they have done is Dead Rising games. They haven't done much to fully judge them as a studio. And worst? Bruh, there is far worser.
If it must be a western dev then I'd rather the Lost Planet 3 guys work on it.
Spark Unlimited got lucky with LP3, and even then it didn't get any good reception. They haven't made anything since Yaiba.

Edit: Oh, they closed down in 2015.

Jawmuncher

I haven't played DR4 yet but DR3 was awesome.

DR3 wasn't bad. But that plus DR4 has me sitting on the side that capcom japan would be a better fit for what I would like to see from a future DC title. I'm not writing them off completely though. Who knows maybe they're putting their all into KoA and it'll turn around a lot of the opinions on the studio.

BadWolf

Capcom Japan handling it would increase the chances of a proper budget and of the game hitting it big.

Spark Unlimited got lucky with LP3, and even then it didn't get any good reception. They haven't made anything since Yaiba.

Edit: Oh, they closed down in 2015.

Dang, thanks for looking it up.

EmiPrime

If it must be a western dev then I'd rather the Lost Planet 3 guys work on it than CV.

Spark are gone but I hope to get round to LP3 at some point.

All they have done is Dead Rising games. They haven't done much to fully judge them as a studio. And worst? Bruh, there is far worser.

I said among the worst. I don't think their games have been a success on any level except for DR2 and Case Zero and those were done under Capcom Japan's tutelage.

Rizzi

I would rather no Dino Crisis instead of a Dino Crisis developed by Capcom Vancouver.
It's better that way.

You don't want CV working on any franchise you like. They'd make Dino Crisis a sloppy third person shooter, but then preach to one and all that they took in fan feedback.

Arklite

I'd like to see Dino Crisis come back but we dodged a bullet with the developer.

Yeah, I agree. Capcom's efforts with Western based developers have been sketchy IMO, and the OP's point of Dino Crisis benefiting from a Japanese developers touch, lending to certain flair or quirks, rings true to me.

Megatron

This article really underscores the problem in AAA developed games. A game that was started two years before jurassic world still hasnt even been showed yet. It takes so long to respond to trends, you really cant course correct.

mrmickfran

I was looking up info for Dino Crisis, and something I just found out is that DC2 was directed by Shu Takumi of Ace Attorney fame. That's awesome.

Now I have to play it.

Top Bottom