• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom wants to grow Monster Hunter in West, feels handhelds are limiting sales there

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see it being more popular on PS4, even if in the west it may sell less.

Its never been done

Dont point to Wii and WiiU

They never will be or can be what the PS3/360 was

WiiU was closest to a definitive console experience. Everything was their except for people that wanted to buy a WiiU

Eolz

I did, but for some reason the series didn't click with me until recently with MH4U, and I haven't went back to MH3U.

Understandable yeah, 4U was such an improvement in terms of pacing and accessibility.

Edit:
Its never been done

WiiU was closest to a definitive console experience. Everything was their except for people that wanted to buy a WiiU

Of course we can point to those, just like we can point to P3rd HD on PS3.
The audience is just more on handheld, and there's no proof console players in the west would buy enough MonHun on those platforms to make it viable. No suggestion of an audience big enough there for Capcom.

silva1991

I feel like if MH makes its way to PS4. A lot of people are gonna be mad in this regard. Unless capcom is really trying to hunker down on western monster hunter.

Why would people be mad with a sequel with actual up to date visuals? MH on my Wii U looks like early PS2 game and anything is better than that.....

Oersted

Its never been done

Wii was more successful than all 3 of them, yeah

Playsage

A new Monster Hunter on PS4 is probably the only thing that could challenge my love for Souls games

Please, Capcom... Don't fuck this up

I was filled with immense relief when the Switch was announced

We could finally just put all the old 10 year debates to rest

Now Capcom is thinking of doing the things I was hoping they would talk about doing years ago

It doesnt mean anything but man.... either way I suppose I cant be anything but optimistic

This is good news no matter how you look at it

Whether the next big entry is Switch/PS4/PC

Doesnt matter. I think we all win at this point

Jawmuncher

Why would people be mad with a sequel with actual up to date visuals? MH on my Wii U looks like early PS2 game and anything is better than that.....

im saying I wouldn't be surprised if capcom DOESNT upgrade the graphics to that extent. Thus a lot of people who have been wanting it on consoles still turned off because of how it looks.

Understandable yeah, 4U was such an improvement in terms of pacing and accessibility.

Edit:

Of course we can point to those, just like we can point to P3rd HD on PS3.
The audience is just more on handheld, and there's no proof console players in the west would buy enough MonHun on those platforms to make it viable. No suggestion of an audience big enough there for Capcom.

Not in the west

PS3 game never made it to the west and EVEN if it did

It didnt use the infrastructure that online gamers are accustomed to. It used Ad Hoc Party to connect players online lol

WiiU is the only console release that could have possible appealed to 360/PS3 online gamers and they didnt buy in

NSESN

Maybe i am being salty and pessimistic, but i really like MH on handhelds so a possibility of they going console only makes me sad.

Capcom mentioned the difficulties in having Switch/PS4 multiplats but I don't see how making MH5 exclusive to PS4 makes any sense. In Japan, the franchise is selling numbers Sony hasn't seen since the PS2 or PS1. They would be sacrificing Japan in exchange for the hope that it can sell slightly more copies in the West? It doesn't seem logical at all.

Which is honestly why I could see it happening. It's Capcom. After how Street Fighter V was handled, I don't doubt they'd attempt something like this.

I do think multiplatform Monster Hunter makes a lot of sense though.

Eolz

Not in the west

PS3 game never made it to the west and EVEN if it did

It didnt use the infrastructure that online gamers are accustomed to. It used Ad Hoc Party to connect players online lol

WiiU is the only console release that could have possible appealed to 360/PS3 online gamers and they didnt buy in

And what about the Wii?
Or the PC/PS4 audience not buying anything in the genre?

Oersted

I was filled with immense relief when the Switch was announced

We could finally just put all the old 10 year debates to rest

Now Capcom is thinking of doing the things I was hoping they would talk about doing years ago

It doesnt mean anything but man.... either way I suppose I cant be anything but optimistic

This is good news no matter how you look at it

Whether the next big entry is Switch/PS4/PC

Doesnt matter. I think we all win at this point

The discussion started as "betrayal" similiar to Final Fantasy becoming multiplat.

Then it was "Where is the Vita game?"

Now PS4.

The discussion was predominantly about Sony losing an exclusive.

Wii was more successful than all 3 of them, yeah

Wii Hardware and wii sports were successful you mean

What effect, if any, did Wii do for the MH brand in the west on consoles? We did get 3 Ultimate on WiiU after.... and then nothing at all

I cant say for sure what the story would have been had we got a 360/Ps3 game. We will never know and thats my point

Thats where I believe the western audience for a co op online game was and they never pursued it.

Tell that the Street Fighter franchise which is rather dead at this point.

I assume you're speaking of SFV? If so, I'm not sure how you can compare a poorly received entry in that series to Capcom's desire for more growth for this series. It just seems like you're not really addressing what Capcom has stated and what I commented on at all.

TunaLover

Switch is done in Japan if it doesn't get a mainline MonHun, the console seems tailored to the japanese market, seems weird that Nintendo doesn't push for it.

Capcom on why MH3 came to Wii

It was a strategic decision set by the team and our Japanese management to address an emerging market on the Wii. At the time the decision was made, it was in reference to the Wii market in general, no particular sub-segement thereof.
— Christian Svensson, Capcom’s Sr.Director of Strategic Planning and Research

"I can’t discuss the localization issues at this time. As for the decision to bring it to the Wii, I think there were many. I think it’s fair to say that CJ wanted to bring one of its premier franchises (possibly THE premier franchise when you look at the Japanese market) to the broader audience that the Wii represents. At least, that’s one of many variables that pushed it in that direction."
— Christian Svensson

Same logic can be made for PS4, Capcom chased money/largest install base, nothing to do with loyalty.

More than anything I'm looking forward to people not shitting up every handheld Monster Hunter thread with port begging and concern trolling.

And what about the Wii?
Or the PC/PS4 audience not buying anything in the genre?

Compare Wii userbase and sales against Wii Hardware and Wii Sports

You quickly see that as successful as Wii was it didnt mean much for pushing third party software over time

Oxirane

Monster Hunter is one of the few online games I play, hopefully in future I don't need to pay an extra subscription fee to access the guild quests.

LordKano

To give my final take before leaving this thread, I don't think this comment about Capcom changes anything to the situation we were all already assuming.

Monster Hunter is known in the west as a franchise managed by Nintendo. It releases on 3DS (with one episode on Wii U), Nintendo did everything they could to advertise the games, and with every new entry, the west sales grew up a little. With MH4U they managed to sell one million copy on the west, and I suppose MHX did the same, or is about to do the same.

Now that pure handleds are dead (since Sony gave up and Nintendo decided to market the Switch as a home console), they're giving investors the reason why 3DS won't get the next MH game (besides Double Cross I suppose) : it would be harmful to the franchise to continue on 3DS in 2017 and beyond.

That doesn't mean they're gonna bet everything on the PS4. That would be, IMO, stupid, just like it was stupid with Street Fighter V. They managed to make the Nintendo audience like Monster Hunter, with these several releases on 3DS. Now, their next objective is to continue the expansion they made on 3DS on the next Nintendo console.

To put in a nutshell : MH5 (or whatever the next MH in the west is) will come on Nintendo Switch, that's the most probable outcome. A potential PS4 version is not impossible but not likely either. They would need to redev everything for an audience that might just have bought the game on Switch if it only released there.

Capcom on why MH3 came to Wii

— Christian Svensson, Capcom’s Sr.Director of Strategic Planning and Research

— Christian Svensson

Same logic can be made for PS4, Capcom chased money, nothing to do with loyalty.

A lot of people chased that Wii money

Did they ever get the return on Wii they were looking for?

Wii was a system that sold to a LOT of people who didnt in turn buy many more games as time went on

Switch is done in Japan if it doesn't get a mainline MonHun, the console seems tailored to the japanese market, seems weird that Nintendo doesn't push for it.
Not really. The spinoff series on the PSP did way better than the mainline games on consoles in Japan. MH will sell better on a handheld in Japan, regardless of what they name it.

Oersted

I assume you're speaking of SFV? If so, I'm not sure how you can compare a poorly received entry in that series to Capcom's desire for more growth for this series. It just seems like you're not really addressing what Capcom has stated and what I commented on at all.

The plan by Capcom for SFV was growth. That didn't work out. At all.

I love Monster Hunter, but I won't buy a $60 or $80 console version on day one. I will buy that used or on sale. Part of why I play it hinges on its portable nature. The same is true for Pokemon, in my opinion.

redcrayon

Are people getting upset that a MH PS4 is being asked for in response to a statement from Capcom saying they want greater growth in the overseas market, a market where handhelds account for 10%, and are taking appropriate procedures. What a coincidence that PS4 is doing incredibly well in that market.
It's more people being slightly nonplussed by the idea of some in this thread that Capcom would completely abandon a guaranteed handheld market for exclusively targeting (at great cost) the western AAA market.

I think it's more likely that they'll hedge their bets and go PS4/Switch (for both the install base of the former and last portable left standing/local multiplayer potential on the latter) than exclusivity to either at this point.

They are already trying various spin-offs, the market is fractured enough that exclusivity makes little sense anymore. When it was about not splitting the player base between 3DS/PSP/Vita I understood, but the crossover between the PS4/Switch is going to be pretty small I would have thought.

Oddish1

To give my final take before leaving this thread, I don't think this comment about Capcom changes anything to the situation we were all already assuming.

Monster Hunter is known in the west as a franchise managed by Nintendo. It releases on 3DS (with one episode on Wii U), Nintendo did everything they could to advertise the games, and with every new entry, the west sales grew up a little. With MH4U they managed to sell one million copy on the west, and I suppose MHX did the same, or is about to do the same.

Now that pure handleds are dead (since Sony gave up and Nintendo decided to market the Switch as a home console), they're giving investors the reason why 3DS won't get the next MH game (besides Double Cross I suppose) : it would be harmful to the franchise to continue on 3DS in 2017 and beyond.

That doesn't mean they're gonna bet everything on the PS4. That would be, IMO, stupid, just like it was stupid with Street Fighter V. They managed to make the Nintendo audience like Monster Hunter, with these several releases on 3DS. Now, their next objective is to continue the expansion they made on 3DS on the next Nintendo console.

To put in a nutshell : MH5 (or whatever the next MH in the west is) will come on Nintendo Switch, that's the most probable outcome. A potential PS4 version is not impossible but not likely either. They would need to redev everything for an audience that might just have bought the game on Switch if it only released there.

Not saying it'll happen, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there was 3DS version of MH5 alongside whatever PS4/Switch version that comes out.

Wow, nice semantics spiel there. This thread is about porting a series.

No its about speculating or hoping for a sequel in the franchise to be on consoles. No surprise that the most successful console on the market is mentioned in relation to a statement by Capcom to pursue growth within said market.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

What effect, if any, did Wii do for the MH brand in the west on consoles? We did get 3 Ultimate on WiiU after.... and then nothing at all

I cant say for sure what the story would have been had we got a 360/Ps3 game. We will never know and thats my point

Thats where I believe the western audience for a co op online game was and they never pursued it.

Nah Wii had a software attach ratio of 8 games per console. To assume only Wii sports did well would be horrendously incorrect.

redcrayon

Its never been done

? Tri with a classic controller and free online felt pretty good to me at the time.

Y'know, I do wonder if Switch forcing the handheld baseline to HD would be what would make Capcom finally consider taking the series multiplat since no matter what platform they choose, it'll be HD.

Eolz

Compare Wii userbase and sales against Wii Hardware and Wii Sports

You quickly see that as successful as Wii was it didnt mean much for pushing third party software over time

And MHTri made MH popular in the west by starting to focus on more accessibility and a better marketing (thank Nintendo for that).
That's thanks to this that they could push further down this road on the next episodes, and not think "we need to rethink this instead".

I don't think you remember how the series did on PS2 before that...

Jaeger

I'm glad Capcom sees the current platform strategy for the series on the West is not working as well as it could. The main reason I have yet to get into the franchise is that all the recent releases are portable and on Wii's.

If it comes out on PS4 I'm all over it.

Let the port begging begin!!

That doesn't mean what you think it means.

The plan by Capcom for SFV was growth. That didn't work out. At all.

Which has nothing to do with the PS4 and everything to do with the fact that it was poorly handled in development and release, not the platform it was released for.

Nothing in this SFV tangent has addressed what Capcom's desires for this series are or what my original post stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom