• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom wants to grow Monster Hunter in West, feels handhelds are limiting sales there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads like this just prove Capcom has amazing IP lol...

I think Switch/PS4 for MH should be a good bet, but doesn't means 3DS ones will stop right away

SFV will continue to get support!!! Hooray my GOTY

Capcom not the only one who thinks PS4 will hit 100 million, might be being generous with X1 sales though

Please bring back DMC and Dragons Dogma!

I have a theory

Its ALWAYS about Japan

Sure they are referencing the Western market here but we have been bitching for a competent console game since the Xbox360 days

Its about the numbers. They are seeing the negative investor reactions to the switch and thinking about changing their outlook

There will still be a switch version but they are in full bean counter/place your bets mode right now

Chindogg

I disagree. I think Monster Hunter as a brand has enough weight to find it's way to it's fans and to have a mainline MH on console ( that's not a port ) would generate tons of buzz on it's own.

No one's going to buy a game they know nothing about. Monster Hunter is popular in the US because the Nintendo faithful followed it through their Directs and marketing. Dark Souls wasn't popular until Sony pushed it with their marketing.

This forum is not a litmus test for what games should be popular. We're enthusiasts that try to keep up with every piece of news. If GAF represented the public's thoughts, Beyond Good and Evil 2 would have released years ago.

I have a theory

Its ALWAYS about Japan

Sure they are referencing the Western market here but we have been bitching for a competent console game since the Xbox360 days

Its about the numbers. They are seeing the negative investor reactions to the switch and thinking about changing their outlook

There will still be a switch version but they are in full bean counter/place your bets mode right now

How does this have anything to do with how consumers are looking at the console, which has had so far pretty absurd amounts of buzz on social media since the trailer?

To everyone saying multiplat bear (bare?) in mind that you'll be splitting the userbase which is fine for the offline portion but not for the online. There's already a shortage of competent randoms in g rank as is (so not including people who got carried to g rank) so the thought of splitting that already small number of people between 2, 3 or even 4 in the case of ps4/xbo/NS/steam platforms doesn't seem like too good an idea

Crossplay between PS4 and PC would harbor a nice pool of players.

Branduil

I have a theory

Its ALWAYS about Japan

Why would they change anything based on what some random investors think about a console that hasn't been fully revealed?

Current gen consoles and their online integration / communites could easily emulate the incredible Monster hunter multiplayer experience and even take it to new heights. Watch the series become a monster hit once it hits PS4. Guaranteed.

I am not sure if just bringing the series in its current state (!) to PS4 will make it go through the roof. Right now I think it is tailored for portables. MH3U on Wii U did not feel quite right. And that was not the consoles fault. Luckily you could transfer data to the portable version.

Cerity

I don't think that MH needs to be dumbed down to appeal to the western market. Dark Souls has very similar philosophies and many people here responded to this particular style of challenge.

The idea that every action has an animation timing that needs to be kept in mind combined with complex enemies that need to be carefully observed is what ties these two series together for me.

Of course the overall structure is very different - Souls being a big adventure with complex levels, whereas MH is basically an arena based action game - but the mindset with which you play these games always felt strikingly similar to me.

There seems to be a certain overlap between the fans of both series, and I can definitely see an untapped market of Souls players who would absolutely love MH but aren't willing to play on a handheld with a 320x240 resolution.

I think even for players coming from the souls games MH will come off really clunky and awkward. The pace of the games are simply different. Though I think this is what styles has tried to bridge, it'll be interesting to see if they push forward with styles in the mainline games.

Why would they change anything based on what some random investors think about a console that hasn't been fully revealed?

WHy did they dump their MH4 profits into mobile and make BoF6 a thing?

Cmon guys... When it comes to decision making they go where the "money" is

No one's going to buy a game they know nothing about. Monster Hunter is popular in the US because the Nintendo faithful followed it through their Directs and marketing. Dark Souls wasn't popular until Sony pushed it with their marketing.

This forum is not a litmus test for what games should be popular. We're enthusiasts that try to keep up with every piece of news. If GAF represented the public's thoughts, Beyond Good and Evil 2 would have released years ago.

How does this have anything to do with how consumers are looking at the console, which has had so far pretty absurd amounts of buzz on social media since the trailer?

Lol

they dont pay attention to consumers and youtube numbers to make financial decisions

Chindogg

Lol

they dont pay attention to consumers and youtube numbers to make financial decisions

What? Nintendo's stock has literally nothing to do with projecting sales of software. Investors are down on the Switch because it's not a phone. It's the old "buy on speculation, sell on news" axiom.

redcrayon

Is there a reason mh has been Nintendo excusive for so long? Is it just because the 3ds killed the vita in sales? I always figured there was some exclusivity deal between Capcom and Nintendo.
It was in both their interests. In Europe, Nintendo contributed a lot towards promotion, online costs etc, starting with Tri on the Wii. Regarding the Vita, it wasn't even released when the decision for MH3U and 4 to be on 3DS was made in Japan. Seems more likely that a mix of it being that the successor to the DS was powerful enough to run it, likely to sell more than the upcoming successor to the PSP, was cheaper to develop for and Nintendo again offered help with selling a quirky Japanese property overseas. All that combined with seeing how Nintendo handled Tri probably chimed with the idea of gradual overseas growth that they wanted.

Kouriozan

Monster Hunter switched to 3DS this gen because Capcom saw an opportunity for growth, they may have to do that decision again and change the main MH console (or just don't bother and make it multiplat)
Anything that can make MH more popular is OK for me.

Yeah they don't pay attention to the people who bought their games to make decisions about where people will bought their games.

Yes they look at the NUMBERS

not the people themselves

Im scratching my head why they waiting this long to point out "out hey PS4 is selling like crazy maybe there is an opportunity for the MH brand there"

Actually no I totally understand. Its been beat into my brain by every MH topic ever lol

Branduil

WHy did they dump their MH4 profits into mobile and make BoF6 a thing?

Cmon guys... When it comes to decision making they go where the "money" is

That doesn't have anything to do with what "investors" reaction to the Switch was, though. The investors don't know anything that Capcom doesn't; actually, the almost certainly know less, since I'm sure Capcom already knew a lot more about the Switch. If they decide to make the series multiplatform it won't have anything to do with what a few random investors decided the day after the Switch reveal.

Capcom is not entirely satisfied with 1 million copies sold of MH4U. They think handhelds are limiting it's potential in the west. So just how many copies MH5 PS4 would have to sell to make Capcom satisfied? Probably a lot more, otherwise they wouldn't make the jump for extra 500k sales.

And how many copies would MHT PS4 sell in Japan, Capcom's DOMESTIC market? Barely 1 million, considering the console charts in that country? MH4 sold 4 million copies.

So yeah, I don't see MH5 PS4 being the success Capcom wants. It won't sell much better than MH4U in the west, and it will sell a lot worse than MH4 in Japan. You do the maths.

Numerous invalid assumptions here: who says it was going to be PS4 exclusive, who said Capcom are abandoning the portable market and MH5 being like 4U. Don't make me laugh.

NSESN

Monster Hunter switched to 3DS this gen because Capcom saw an opportunity for growth, they may have to do that decision again and change the main MH console (or just don't bother and make it multiplat)
Anything that can make MH more popular is OK for me.
I can't see it being more popular on PS4, even if in the west it may sell less.

This is a ringing endorsement for Switch.

Edit: People are interpreting this as PS4 support?

Let's not make hasty assumptions lol

Chindogg

Guess what : dem numbers come from dem people.

I don't think he knows what he means when he says numbers.

Investors being down on a new piece of hardware has zero implications toward potential sales. Investors are constantly down on new Apple products right when they're first announced, but quickly bounce back once they're released.

Yeah this sounds more likely that it'll be on Switch, then maybe PS4 later depending on what happens with marketing and such. I doubt Nintendo's gonna want to let Monster Hunter get away from them, as it's a massive third party franchise for them in Japan.

That doesn't have anything to do with what "investors" reaction to the Switch was, though. The investors don't know anything that Capcom doesn't; actually, the almost certainly know less, since I'm sure Capcom already knew a lot more about the Switch. If they decide to make the series multiplatform it won't have anything to do with what a few random investors decided the day after the Switch reveal.

It was just a theory. I cant imagine they arent looking at reactions in the financial sector and diversifying their options based on that

The comments they are making about PS4 now were true years ago and yet they waited until the 3DS was nearing its end of life to make these comments

Says something to me but its just me theorycrafting

I don't think he knows what he means when he says numbers.

Investors being down on a new piece of hardware has zero implications toward potential sales. Investors are constantly down on new Apple products right when they're first announced, but quickly bounce back once they're released.

Companies dont get gunshy when investors are down on something?

I must be losing my mind then

le.phat

I am not sure if just bringing the series in its current state (!) to PS4 will make it go through the roof. Right now I think it is tailored for portables. MH3U on Wii U did not feel quite right. And that was not the consoles fault. Luckily you could transfer data to the portable version.

I totally agree with you, Let's hope Capcom agrees with you as well, because my sense is that the current formula is running stale, which is why i honestly hope they are ready to take the mainline series into a new direction that could potentially offer the same sense of community and multiplay; By bringing it over to current gen consoles.

It's obvious that a PS4 MH game is happening if the intended desire is success in the west. Even in Japan there's no reason to believe that a "handheld" as big as the switch will be successful as Nintendo's previous portables.

PS4 presents ample opportunities in the west and decent opportunity for the franchise in Japan, while Switch is largely unproven in both territories. The only other reason to put it on the Switch would be to keep it in the Nintendo family, but the series handled the Switch from the PS family just fine.

ggx2ac

Does Deep Down still exist?

If Monster Hunter becomes multiplatform to make more sales that's fine, it's just that it's not the kind of game you can make a massive success off of in the west with brand power alone.

The franchise was literally building up the western userbase on the 3DS with what is now 3 Monster Hunter games released.

Monster Hunter isn't the kind of game that a person can play by having the game take you for a ride on a rollercoaster, there's no cinematic experiences. It's gameplay isn't typical as it requires patience, planning and having to think ahead.

That's why if Capcom really wants Monster Hunter to appeal to the mainstream in the west on PS4 without having to build a userbase for years but wanting to make a quick buck. They should make a spin-off series like Operation: Racoon City from Resident Evil. That game managed to sell millions on X360/PS3, if they make something similar with Monster Hunter by appealing to the west with Cinematic Experiences, voice acting, QTEs and simplistic combat that doesn't require patience or for you to think ahead. Then they could easily appeal to the western mainstream consumer.

lol

All these years and Ive never understood this

We dont have a good example for comparison

The top console for a multiplayer game at time wasnt Wii. Wii was hot on the back of Wii sports and casual gamers but the top console for online co op was 360 (and eventually PS3 caught up)

The only console game that met any of the standards that Online Western gamers expect was the WiiU version of Ultimate and even then it was hampered by once again... not being on a popular console

There has yet to be a definitive "strike while the iron is hot" release for MH on consoles

If Monster Hunter becomes multiplatform to make more sales that's fine, it's just that it's not the kind of game you can make a massive success off of in the west with brand power alone.

The franchise was literally building up the western userbase on the 3DS with what is now 3 Monster Hunter games released.

Monster Hunter isn't the kind of game that a person can play by having the game take you for a ride on a rollercoaster, there's no cinematic experiences. It's gameplay isn't typical as it requires patience, planning and having to think ahead.

That's why if Capcom really wants Monster Hunter to appeal to the mainstream in the west on PS4 without having to build a userbase for years but wanting to make a quick buck. They should make a spin-off series like Operation: Racoon City from Resident Evil. That game managed to sell millions on X360/PS3, if they make something similar with Monster Hunter by appealing to the west with Cinematic Experiences, voice acting, QTEs and simplistic combat that doesn't require patience or for you to think ahead. Then they could easily appeal to the western mainstream consumer.

lol

I disagree

Co Op, Party Chat, communities solve all of the barriers to entry

People having been playing more complicated multiplayer games for years

NSESN

It's obvious that a PS4 MH game is happening if the intended desire is success in the west. Even in Japan there's no reason to believe that a "handheld" as big as the switch will be successful as Nintendo's previous portables.

PS4 presents ample opportunities in the west and decent opportunity for the franchise in Japan, while Switch is largely unproven in both territories. The only other reason to put it on the Switch would be to keep it in the Nintendo family, but the series handled the Switch from the PS family just fine.
I am not sure they throwing out the growth they had with the 3ds in the west would fine

Jawmuncher

lol

Deep Down still exists like how DMC and Resident Evil PSP exist (they were never cancelled)

zelas

Edit: People are interpreting this as PS4 support?

Let's not make hasty assumptions lol

Switch? After they got burned on Nintendo's last console? Lol.

Also keep in mind that Nintendo's handheld and console audience has a lot of crossover. Appealing to existing consumers doesnt scream growth, nor does immediately jumping to a new platform that has everyone asking more questions than they did of the wii u.

Are people getting upset that a MH PS4 is being asked for in response to a statement from Capcom saying they want greater growth in the overseas market, a market where handhelds account for 10%, and are taking appropriate procedures. What a coincidence that PS4 is doing incredibly well in that market.

Oersted

Tell that the Street Fighter franchise which is rather dead at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom