• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom wants to grow Monster Hunter in West, feels handhelds are limiting sales there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the Switch Date been announced though or is that still random guesses?

Switch is still slated for a March 2017 release. No specific date has been given. We will know about that one in the Switch presentation on January 12th, though, as well as price and probably games that fall into the release window (which Nintendo considers up to 6 or so months after the console's release).

Catman

Banned
No shit, this has been obvious for years.

Every fucking iteration has been held back from its potential for growth because it was stuck on handhelds. I understand that's where it became huge in Japan, but I feel like they could have put in a little effort to make an entry that would appeal to the West. Even when Monster Hunter Tri, and later Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate came out on Wii, and Wii U respectively, but those were hardly the right systems to facilitate the growth of a potential audience that would enjoy the games.

During the days of PS3/360, it just seemed like a no brainer that a game like Monster Hunter could have been huge given proper console support, with a good party system where friends might wanna group up and play together with voice chat on Xbox Live. Games driven by loot hunting have been huge in the past, and Monster Hunter always seemed like a fresh different take on it when it was still relatively new.

The Logic is pretty flawed. Monster Hunter Started as a console series and sold like shit compared to what Handheld has done. It was also on the most successful console ever so that didn't do jack shit for the series
More people are aware of the series now than ever before, but may not be playing it because of the handheld aspect. That or they tried it but couldn't cope with the controls (which aren't inherently a handheld problem, to a point).

oti

Banned
As much as people keeping saying Monster Hunter belongs on handhelds for me its the opposite. Nothing beats playing it on a big screen, better graphics, a proper controller and better online infrastructure. I would take that over portability any day of the week.

Says you. And I. I'm sure we pretty much all say that. But the core audience is located in Japan and most of them think differently. Different culture.

we dont kno that though. maybe the team is sick as we are of the old assets. of course for the corp. the low res assets were a boon.

I would LOVE to see this. I'm just thinking from a business perspective. Pouring all those resources into a proper console MH for the West while not knowing if that would make it any more popular than it is today is a high risk. If it was to flop the next mobile MH would have to make serious bank to balance that out.

But eh, I'm not an investor. Give us a modern MH, Capcom. Release it on PS4/XBO and Switch if that helps. Just make it modern and cool.

Also as the complexity of the controls grows, the misery of using a handheld for extended periods of time increases.

I had to kit out my 3ds with like $30 of aftermarket grips + covers to let me play MH, and that was enough to make me skip Generations.

Well that and my all-console/PC friends having zero interest in playing a game like that on handheld as well.
Well, the controls had been roughly the same for a good 7 years or so. Though activating your special moves in Gen is kinda silly, having to tap the touchscreen. If you have a CPP or N3DS you can set 2 of them to the alternative triggers tho.

I feel its relevant to mention some of the most successful entries were on the PSP, where camera control was done purely via the dpad.

The PSP MonHun claw grip is something.

But yeah, any home console-y option will do wonders for convincing a lot of my friends to get into it, so I hope they do it well.

The Logic is pretty flawed. Monster Hunter Started as a console series and sold like shit compared to what Handheld has done. It was also on the most successful console ever so that didn't do jack shit for the series

It was purely marketed to JP, even though it came out infrequently in the West back then. I do get what you mean though, MohHun lives on handhelds primarily. And trying to move back to the PS3 and Wii both did poorly to mediocre.

Also the OG PS2 game is fucking weird, the attacks are mapped to the right stick, so you still didn't have proper camera controls.

Ploid 3.0

and LOL at SFV having legs. Those legs fell off and rotted to dust

A console with flawed online. I played a ton of PS2 online, but it's crap compared to how online is today. Though I'd have to look up how well MH PS2 online was to start. Each game had their own online service. FF11 was good, it had to be for a sub based online game. Socom was neat, other than that, I don't remember many great PS2 online games.

Monster hunter general port begging: the thread 6489

This is a odd comment in this thread, a thread about Capcom wanting to grow Monster Hunter horizons.

Skeletos311

I think the lootwhore audience is on PC in the West, but they're not going to get them with the PC MH, since apparently those suck.

I think the lootwhore audience is on PC in the West, but they're not going to get them with the PC MH, since apparently those suck.

The one that exists isn't a 'real' monhun. It's a chinese-only MMO by a different dev.

Frontier games are also on 360/PS3, but they also are outsourced and bad.

antonz

It was purely marketed to JP, even though it came out infrequently in the West back then. I do get what you mean though, MohHun lives on handhelds primarily. And trying to move back to the PS3 and Wii both did poorly to mediocre.

Also the OG PS2 game is fucking weird, the attacks are mapped to the right stick, so you still didn't have proper camera controls.

Monster Hunter remains an almost exclusively marketed JP title with JP styled gameplay.

If they want to expand in the West greater then they need an Americanized Monster Hunter.

PS4, XO (West only likely since that's how AoT turned out), Switch and 3DS versions with cross platform online play. Bam. You got a franchise seller.
Well, I don't think Sony and Nintendo will play nice on cross platform. Microsoft seems to be the only one completely open to it.

Monster Hunter remains an almost exclusively marketed JP title with JP styled gameplay.

If they want to expand in the West greater then they need an Americanized Monster Hunter.

If they want like, major success definitely, but 4U did pretty damn well for what it is. Attempts in this direction were already made, so it's just another one of those, to me.

If they're talking about being popular in the west(especially at this point) then it's PS4 they're looking at.
PS4/Switch/maybe PC and XBO is happening. I love handheld MH, but I know it was a limiting factor to the series' appeal in the West. But is it MH5 for all systems, or is it MH5 for PS4/etc. and MHP5 for Switch? We don't know.

klee123

Good.

Was never a fan of playing these games on a small screen, especially with the setup on 3DS.

If this means complete online play on PS4/XBO/PC/Switch then I'm all for it.

oti

Banned

Man, they should turn MH into a "Hero Hunter" game on PC. Each hero has a different weapon and abilities. A team of 4 tries to kill a monster, the quicker they can do it the more points they get. With Loot Boxes. F2P. eSports. ¥¥¥¥

Drencrom

No shit putting a big 'hardcore' ARPG franchise exclusively on low-power handhelds limits their sales in the western market.

If they actually care about sales in the west they should release MH on consoles and PC.

MouldyK

But if MH5 came out for PS4 and only sold 2 mill in Japan instead of the usual 3-4 Million and 2 million in The West instead of the usual 1 Million...

...would it be considered a bigger success or worse than the Handheld Releases?

And here we go: the flood gates are open again for port beggers who have not the slightest interest in the series, if it's not an their favorite platform.
Edit: if they change gameplay to appeal to the west, I'm out. Next franchise destroyed right after BIO, Lost Planet, DMC etc.
I love the fact, that people still think that if it's on PS4 it will sell gangbusters by itself. Just like SFV, right?

Evilmaus

See, I want to get into Monster Hunter, but have no idea where to start and would probably prefer playing on a console rather than a handheld.

Is there a story that needs to be followed or can you just start anywhere?

Ploid 3.0

PS4, XO (West only likely since that's how AoT turned out), Switch and 3DS versions with cross platform online play. Bam. You got a franchise seller.
Well, I don't think Sony and Nintendo will play nice on cross platform. Microsoft seems to be the only one completely open to it.

Dragon Quest X is cross play between PS and Nintendo right? They seem cool about that.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Monster Hunter 5 on PS4/Xbox One/PC
Monster Hunter 5 Portable App for iOS/Android

Man, they should turn MH into a "Hero Hunter" game on PC. Each hero has a different weapon and abilities. A team of 4 tries to kill a monster, the quicker they can do it the more points they get. With Loot Boxes. F2P. eSports. ¥¥¥¥
b7ef7a0e90.jpg

Don't give Capcom ideas.

ZiZ

They'll need more changes than the platform if they want sales. Like a better camera and updated graphics.

But if MH5 came out for PS4 and only sold 2 mill in Japan instead of the usual 3-4 Million and 2 million in The West instead of the usual 1 Million...

...would it be considered a bigger success or worse than the Handheld Releases?
If MH5 PS4 did its job increasing the series' visibility in the West by selling 2-3 million, then I'd say it's a success. And the sell ratio would probably be closer to 1m Japan, 3m West, considering how poop the PS4 is selling Japan.

oti

Banned
b7ef7a0e90.jpg

Don't give Capcom ideas.

Why not. Or sell it like Overwatch. Not F2P but free new characters and monsters. Loot Boxes are just cosmetics. That could be a fun new way to play that would also eliminate resource gathering.

I reckon this means MH is hitting PlayStation at the very least, if not XBO also. Let's face it, Switch is probably going to hit nowhere near the numbers of both.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
If MH5 PS4 did its job increasing the series' visibility in the West by selling 2-3 million, then I'd say it's a success. And the sell ratio would probably be closer to 1m Japan, 3m West.

lol.....you think MH could sell 3M on PS4 in the west ? Just shows how delusional some people are in thinking - PS4/XBO or PS3/360 version = instant success.

You know how many full price games not called GTA, Fifa or CoD have sold more than 3m on PS4 this generation ? Have you seen a japanese 3rdParty PS4 game for longer than 2 months in the NPD charts this gen ?

Frodo

I, for one, honestly doubt that the West's problem with MoHon is the platform. Maybe it would benefit more from adding (a proper) lock on system, adding AAA for awesome, and maybe a few towers here and there (not to mention a huge emphasis on graphics) to make it click with audience more than just switching platforms.

Anyhow, I can't really complain if MoHun is being: (a) released in the West; and (b) in more platforms than usual.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
lol.....you think MH could sell 3M on PS4 in the west ? Just shows how delusional some people are in thinking - PS4/XBO or PS3/360 version = instant success.

You know how many full price games not called GTA, Fifa or CoD have sold more than 3m on PS4 ?

I think it's also delusional that MH5 will hit 3-5m alone on the Switch too, but you'll never know. :p

The more platforms + a mobile app will hit decent targets though.

antonz

If MH5 PS4 did its job increasing the series' visibility in the West by selling 2-3 million, then I'd say it's a success. And the sell ratio would probably be closer to 1m Japan, 3m West.

Pretty sure the point is expand the base they sell too not just stay the same with shifted sales. So they are in a pickle as US and Japanese sensibilities will require balancing. Consoles are dead in Japan.

PS4/Switch multiplatform is their best hope. But then last week Capcom specifically commented on how difficult it is to do a multiplatform between Sony and Nintendo due to different policies etc

Producer

You know how many full price games not called GTA, Fifa or CoD have sold more than 3m on PS4 ?

reminds me of the poster that said Monster Hunter can reach GTA/Destiny sales if they put it on Ps4/Xb1 . Lol

Ploid 3.0

It is?

Sorry then.

Those are not thread derailing posts, this is what the thread is about. They want Capcom to make the game for PC and PS4 as they evaluate which console to grow to. Maybe they'll end up putting it on mobile in the end. The "Port beg" complaints are usually because people are derailing threads about announced games for a particular console that have no plans to be on the requested platforms.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think it's also delusional that MH5 will hit 3-5m alone on the Switch too, but you'll never know. :p

The more platforms + a mobile app will hit decent targets though.

...no one is saying it will that much on Switch. These ales are only possible if it a multi release and also on 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom