• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom wants to grow Monster Hunter in West, feels handhelds are limiting sales there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakai

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/20004620.html
- Talks about Monster Hunter 4 G's sales are being lower in the West compared to Japan, but is explained that it is due to the fact that the handheld market is only 10% of the dedicated video game market compared to Japan where handhelds are popular, and that they are taking the proper procedures to make sure that Monster Hunter grows overseas

The 3DS sold 39.4 million units in the West as of the Q2 FY2016. Are they saying that 39.4 million units is only 10% of the dedicated video game market? That don't even make sense anyway you split the numbers.

The 3DS sold 39.4 million units in the West as of the Q2 FY2016. Are they saying that 39.4 million units is only 10% of the dedicated video game market? That don't even make sense anyway you split the numbers.
They probably include PC in that total as well.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Well, Monster Hunter sale over 4.1 million on the 3DS with more than a million sold in the West....

Do you think that in 2017/2018, a MH5 on 3DS will hit 4m?

It makes sense for them to explore how MH can do in the West on a bigger install base (PS4/X1). I can't say if they'll succeed or anything, but certainly the MH name is prolific enough now that it's worth a shot.

Now compare the software sales.

Handhelds have a way lower software ratio than consoles.

I don't see Nintendo wanting to let this go.

But Switch/PS4 makes sense. Don't make MH5 open world with easier combat though. Please.

Kathian

Banned

This is across generations of home consoles and will multiple 3DS replacements.

I think the 3DS user base is relatively low but with a relatively high tie ratio.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Userbase isnt all - software sales are abysmal on 3DS outside of the Nintendo games and Vita isnt setting the charts on fire either.

Just look how sales of GTA V alone compare to most of the handheld market in a year. The difference i huge.

Capcom reconsidering their approach to the series in the West feels like it can only be a good thing.

I'm a Nintendo handheld MH player and enjoy that fine, but I'm also well aware of the potential for the series outside of that market and keen to see Capcom try something new.

Rodin

I hope they release MH V as a PS4 exclusive so that it can be a smash hit like SF V. There's even the same V.

Register

Banned
No shit. Who would have thought that hunting big ass monster on a tiny screen is off-putting. I tried to get into MH on the PSP but couldn't stomach it on the tiny screen. I would probably be all over it on PC or PS4 tho.

expel

Capcom will stick with Nintendo, MH will still be Nintendo's thing. Capcom will hope Switch would sold 100 million by 2020 too!

Actual MH (not that japan-only, online-only thingy or the chinese MMO) for PS4 and/or PC would be a megaton. Day one, no questions asked.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I think Monster Hunter will switch to ps4 soon

Make the next Monster Hunter for the Switch and PS4. Playing it on the original 3DS is a nightmare. I need to play this with a proper controller and better visuals. (Not asking for 4K or even native 1080, just not 3DS visuals)

TheFatOne

The answer is pretty simple. If they want MH to appeal to the west they have to start appearing on platforms that appeal to the west. It's not rocket science. Ps4//One/PC main line game is the only way to do it. It's not necessarily guaranteed success, but there is a clear and obvious need for games like this on consoles.

Malakai

Userbase isnt all - software sales are abysmal on 3DS outside of the Nintendo games and Vita isnt setting the charts on fire either.

Just look how sales of GTA V alone compare to most of the handheld market in a year. The difference i huge.

How many handheld games reach the quality of a GTA V? Also, GTA is like on 5 different platforms. The 3DS attach rate is around 4.7 given the low quality of the software by several third parties that attach rate isn't that bad.

Let's see if Capcom has what it takes to add Monster Hunter to the heap of franchises like Street Fighter and Breath of Fire that got murdered on their fifth entries.

Rodin

The answer is pretty simple. If they want MH to appeal to the west they have to start appearing on platforms that appeal to the west. It's not rocket science. Ps4//One/PC main line game is the only way to do it. It's not necessarily guaranteed success, but there is a clear and obvious need for games like this on consoles.
Yeah it will be a huge success on xbox one.

Eolz

Switch will be the next attempt.
They can't afford to make one PS4 only anyway, but they probably want to try putting spinoffs everywhere.
That'd be really stupid if they ruin their ever-growing success in the west by losing nintendo's marketing support.

Not the first time they say something along those lines, but they also understand MonHun will never sell as much and as regularly as in Japan...

Edit: and no, the 4chan rumor was bullshit, let's no go back to this.

Kathian

Banned
Ps4,PC and Switch incoming...would make sense,now let's see if it happens

PC especially. Still think Switch will be the leaf platform. Even in the West Nintendo users have been the primary adopters.

Being multiplayer focus - might be wise to build in cross platform support or focus only on one though

Switch will be the next attempt.
They can't afford to make one PS4 only anyway, but they probably want to try putting spinoffs everywhere.
That'd be really stupid if they ruin their ever-growing success in the west by losing nintendo's marketing support.

Not the first time they say something along those lines, but they also understand MonHun will never sell as much and as regularly as in Japan...

Edit: and no, the 4chan rumor was bullshit, let's no go back to this.

Pretty sure no company is betting on Switch sales even on par to the Xbox One in the West.

Malakai

They probably include PC in that total as well.

That brings up the other question is can a PC be considered "dedicated"? Most PC on the market have Intel's non Iris igpu which by all accounts would not be the same amount of people that would be interested in Monster Hunter.

Mr Swine

Banned
So I guess that MH won't be on a future Nintendo console then if they feel that Handhelds are limiting their sales? I can see them go PS4 exclusive in Japan and release it on both PS4 and a bone in the west.

Seems like Switch is going to have a harder and harder time to sell worldwide

Randomizer

Multiplatform is their only choice as the Nintendo Switch has only an estimated 2 million sales for launch. Whether it sells more or not it will still obviously have a smaller install base compared to the already established platforms of PS4, Xbox One and PC.

Chindogg

Honestly it depends if Sony's willing to push for paying for marketing. The reason why MH's popularity grew in the west is because Nintendo actually pushed the game themselves.

It'd pretty much come down to if Sony wants to throw money in to get it done or not.

Multiplatform is their only choice as the Nintendo Switch has only an estimated 2 million sales for launch. Whether it sells more or not it will still obviously have a smaller install base compared to the already established platforms of PS4, Xbox One and PC.

To clarify, that's Q1 sales, which ends in March. So basically they're saying 2mil in between 1-3 weeks. That'd actually be pretty crazy if they pulled that off in such a short time.

jonno394

Monster Hunter on PC, Mobile and Switch going forward?

An Xbox release makes no sense to me, especially as the console is dead in Japan and Japanese games seem to do much better on the PS4, therefore a PS4 release is more likely than that..

Sandfox

I think it would be disingenuous to deny that for a while now, if anyone suggested Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter come to PS4, they'd be shouted down by some Nintendo fans in this weird tirade of defensiveness.

Like I've said in other threads before (and been laughed at by some), do not assume that MH will stay locked to Nintendo consoles forever. They can't use the 3DS forever and Switch is not a 1:1 replacement for the 3DS, especially since it has a whopping install base of 0 right now, with uncertainty as to how it will actually perform in the market place. You can't not expect Capcom to try and adapt to this change in market conditions, afterall.

With both of those franchises the argument was that it wouldn't make sense to ditch the handheld audience and now DQ is multiplat for the first time ever, with the same probably happening here.

Not saying it outright maybe (beyond those suggesting simply to keep Frontier for other consoles and keep mainline for 3DS and NX ;)), but very concerned about warning people that porting it is not a panacea, etc... perhaps I am reading people wrong, but I do not put myself out of the Nintendo fans camp entirely ;).

Also, I am not saying that people are not begging for ports. You see PS4, Xbox, and future NX owners all doing it. Where did you see people saying the game should not come to NX?

If you don't see it I don't know what to say lol. People are clearly saying it should be PS4/PC exclusive and there's even a post saying "bye bye Switch".

Also, I think your making a connection with the sales talk and that frontier comment to people not wanting the game on PS4 when the post don't tell us how those people personally feel on the matter.

antonz

Install Base is not nearly as important as audience is. 3DS was only about 9 months old when Monster Hunter landed on it.

No userbase on PS4, while the 3DS userbase they've built for so long is going to "switch" on the Switch. That way they know they have some guaranteed sales.

Also yeah, Nintendo is doing most of the marketing in the west.

Yup, its definitely unheard of for a user base to switch and to own one device exclusively. It makes me wonder how the game handled the PSP->3DS transition at all.

And at the bolded. They'll still have those guaranteed sales even if it was multi-platform. With the added benefit of selling to a wider audience.

If they're gonna have to make HD assets anyway theres no reason for it to remain locked to one platform. I'd kill for a PC version too.

I don't know why most of the assumptions here seem to think exclusivity one way or the other. That isn't going to expand much at all.

Eolz

Pretty sure no company is betting on Switch sales even on par to the Xbox One in the West.

As said in another non MonHun related thread, the userbase size is useless if there's no audience there.
At least PC would somewhat make sense due to its size, niche habits and worldwide interest.

(Where did I talk about X1 sales?)

Rodin

No userbase on PS4, while the 3DS userbase they've built for so long is going to "switch" on the Switch. That way they know they have some guaranteed sales.

Nah it will be on PS4, Capcom will want to give it its best shot on the western market. I don't see this move leading to a particularly huge success, but still.

Lol, why the seemingly quite sarcastic remark? I thought he other poster wrote something sensible...
Just joking. Although i do believe that putting it on xbox one would be a waste of resources. PC/PS4/Switch makes more sense to pursue both markets.

Intel_89

It might also be due to MH fatigue, it's hard to keep up buying and playing MH when there's one coming out every year.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Transitioning players to NX, even assuming that you can just simply expect them to all move en masse, would not grow the user base beyond 3DS + Wii U by definition... not until NX takes a bigger chunk of the overall handheld + hybrid market than its predecessors.

I also disagree that PC, Xbox One, and PS4 lack an audience for it... especially considering the game started with a Sony PlayStation platform.

Again, Capcom stronghold with MH is in the east, alas they are not as dependent on Nintendo alone pushing them as they are on growing the franchise. Nintendo's 3DS relationship with MH was quite symbiotic, both benefited and needed each other, it was not a case of good Nintendo being generous and keeping MH alive because it just loves games.

redcrayon

So I guess that MH won't be on a future Nintendo console then if they feel that Handhelds are limiting their sales? I can see them go PS4 exclusive in Japan and release it on both PS4 and a bone in the west.

Seems like Switch is going to have a harder and harder time to sell worldwide
They won't go PS4 exclusive in Japan- handhelds are limiting sales in the west, not in Japan where they still dominate the market.

I could see a Switch/PS4 multiplat, which then allows handheld or console options for everyone rather than abandoning the guaranteed handheld audience in Japan to chase the western market.

Only problem is that Nintendo have been paying for various promotions and servers, which made sense when it was exclusive to their machines. A Western launch of a multiplat multiplayer game isn't cheap, and could
be risky for Capcom without help from Sony/Nintendo- it's not like MonHun is a shooter with a guaranteed instant audience that 'gets' it, MonHun is notoriously 'quirky'.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
With both of those franchises the argument was that it wouldn't make sense to ditch the handheld audience and now DQ is multiplat for the first time ever, with the same probably happening here.

If you don't see it I don't know what to say lol. People are clearly saying it should be PS4/PC exclusive and there's even a post saying "bye bye Switch".

Also, I think your making a connection with the sales talk and that frontier comment to people not wanting the game on PS4 when the post don't tell us how those people personally feel on the matter.

I see people saying ByeByeSwitch, I disagree with that feeling and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom