• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom wants to grow Monster Hunter in West, feels handhelds are limiting sales there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's be real though, Monster Hunter has only gotten as far as it has in the west at all because of Nintendo's marketing push. I think they have some leverage here. Switch is still the most likely platform for the next generation of Monster Hunter.

random25

But if MH5 came out for PS4 and only sold 2 mill in Japan instead of the usual 3-4 Million and 2 million in The West instead of the usual 1 Million...

...would it be considered a bigger success or worse than the Handheld Releases?

It depends on how much they spend on HD development. 2 million in the West isn't really that much of a big growth especially if you sacrifice/alienate your core Japanese audience. And good luck selling 2 million in Japan on PS4 (or on home consoles in general).

klee123

I reckon this means MH is hitting PlayStation at the very least, if not XBO also. Let's face it, Switch is probably going to hit nowhere near the numbers of both.

The people who vehemently opposes the idea of MH being on anything but a Nintendo console certainly thinks so.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
reminds me of the poster that said Monster Hunter can reach GTA/Destiny sales if they put it on Ps4/Xb1 . Lol

It could certainly grow the brand coming back to the Sony fold where it came from ;).

Seriously though, Capcom wants to grow the brand overseas... NX will be supported, but thinking that the porting costs for an Xbox One + PS4 release (that can be ported on PC too) would not be far outweighed by the increased sales feels misguided at best and a bit disingenuous at worst.

klee123

I reckon this means MH is hitting PlayStation at the very least, if not XBO also. Let's face it, Switch is probably going to hit nowhere near the numbers of both.

The people who vehemently opposes the idea of MH being on anything but a Nintendo console thinks otherwise.

Rappy

I think it's also delusional that MH5 will hit 3-5m alone on the Switch too, but you'll never know. :p

The more platforms + a mobile app will hit decent targets though.
If there's no successor to the 3DS and MH5 was exclusive to Switch, I can see it easily hitting that much. Unless everyone just decides to give up on handheld gaming because of the Switch.

Ploid 3.0

lol.....you think MH could sell 3M on PS4 in the west ? Just shows how delusional some people are in thinking - PS4/XBO or PS3/360 version = instant success.

You know how many full price games not called GTA, Fifa or CoD have sold more than 3m on PS4 this generation ? Have you seen a japanese 3rdParty PS4 game for longer than 2 months in the NPD charts this gen ?

You forgot to mention the Souls games in your list of games that don't count.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The people who vehemently opposes the idea of MH being on anything but a Nintendo console thinks otherwise.

This reminds me of how Dragon Quest was supposed to be Nintendo forever

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The people who vehemently opposes the idea of MH being on anything but a Nintendo console certainly thinks so.

The argument seems also to be that MH mainline would only sell shit to anyone by Nintendo customers/fans who are the only ones worthy to appreciate it... curiously ignoring how it did on PSP back then...

Pretty sure the point is expand the base they sell too not just stay the same with shifted sales. So they are in a pickle as US and Japanese sensibilities will require balancing. Consoles are dead in Japan.

PS4/Switch multiplatform is their best hope. But then last week Capcom specifically commented on how difficult it is to do a multiplatform between Sony and Nintendo due to different policies etc
I was using that poster's 4 million-ish number as a baseline.

But yeah, if console MH can only sell about the same worldwide as handheld MH currently does, then there's no real point to it.

MouldyK

lol.....you think MH could sell 3M on PS4 in the west ? Just shows how delusional some people are in thinking - PS4/XBO or PS3/360 version = instant success.

You know how many full price games not called GTA, Fifa or CoD have sold more than 3m on PS4 this generation ? Have you seen a japanese 3rdParty PS4 game for longer than 2 months in the NPD charts this gen ?

Yeah, that's why I put a 2 Mill Split for both.

I don't see Mon Hun selling over 2 million in the West anytime soon.

But I also don't see them selling over 2 Million Copies on one console in Japan, especially one where less than 4 million consoles has been sold.

Either way, the next Monster Hunter will not get 4/4U/Gen numbers.

I want a HD Monster Hunter so badly.

Even if it never came out in english, if it was on PS4, i could import it. We dont know if the switch is region free yet.

Id even take Frontier!

Good guy Capcom finally understand. All I need is playing MH on TV. I don't care what platform you put it in but I'm sick and tired of playing it on the handheld.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Compare the Titanfall 1 (heavenly backed and marketed by MS) to the Titanfall 2 numbers - bigger install base doesnt always result in higher sales. Especially if the market is more crowded with similar games.
You forgot to mention the Souls games in your list of games that don't count.

Not even Souls game sold that much on PS4 - and they are like the biggest JP 3rd Party hit since who knows what game. I wont stop you from thinking that PS4 version = instant success. It def. would be a good look for the IP and many who are wishing for a console version - but there are more facts to consider, dont act like Japanese games selling 1 million on PS4 in the west is a given.

Whichever platform(s) is lands on, I feel bringing the online systems to, let's say, at least 2009 standards will go a long way to making it viable in the west.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This sounds made up.

That was a feeling I was getting while reading the thread, not the only one mind you. What is your interpretation of this defensiveness and opposition to think of anything but NX as possible target for Capcom? How does the uggestiojnofnjust putting MH Frontier to other non Nintendo consoles fit?

Arc81

Banned
So what happen to Nintendo fan when mh release to ps4/PC too. I'm truly afraid there gotta be some medical reason for this.

explode!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Compare the Titanfall 1 (heavenly backed and marketed by MS) to the Titanfall 2 numbers - bigger install base doesnt always result in higher sales. Especially if the market is more crowded with similar games.

EA invested way less into marketing this than what MS + EA did for the first title: it was like a premier first party release. Before the Xbox One launch the "Have you seen TitanFall?" line by MS execs was almost reaching meme material for me... let's give the sequel some time though too :).

Not even Souls game sold that much on PS4 - and they are like the biggest JP 3rd Party hit since who knows what game. I wont stop you from thinking that PS4 version = instant success. It def. would be a good look for the IP and many who are wishing for a console version - but there are more facts to consider, dont act like Japanese games selling 1 million on PS4 in the west is a given.

Point taken, but do you see many MH alternatives on Xbox One and PS4? I do not see an overcrowded genre there.
Xbox One + PS4 does not guarantee success, but expanding into that area and reconsidering that niche (MH started with a Sony PlayStation audience) would be a wise investment although full effect would be seen with sequels if they stick with it. Just like mature non Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles... you cannot just drop a game and send it to die and then expect the market and the Nintendo consoles customer base to have changed expectations.

Sandfox

That was a feeling I was getting while reading the thread, not the only one mind you. What is your interpretation of this defensiveness and opposition to think of anything but NX as possible target for Capcom? How does the uggestiojnofnjust putting MH Frontier to other non Nintendo consoles fit?

I've seen more port-begging for MH on other platforms than any defensiveness or opposition. Even in this thread nobody is saying the games should be Switch exclusive or anything you said they do. On the other hand, there are people saying it shouldn't come to the Switch or making comments about Nintendo fans like you are.

Delio

Sounds like they will attempt to port it on over to PS4. I'm guessing it will be PS4/Switch tho im guessing we wont be able to play between consoles so meh. Curious how they take this for the future.

Malakai

I think it's also delusional that MH5 will hit 3-5m alone on the Switch too, but you'll never know. :p

The more platforms + a mobile app will hit decent targets though.

Well, Monster Hunter sale over 4.1 million on the 3DS with more than a million sold in the West....

Oregano

Sounds like they will attempt to port it on over to PS4. I'm guessing it will be PS4/Switch tho im guessing we wont be able to play between consoles so meh. Curious how they take this for the future.

The only tricky thing there is that Capcom implied that multiplatform development between Switch and PS4 is not happening.

Delio

The only tricky thing there is that Capcom implied that multiplatform development between Switch and PS4 is not happening.

Is that so? Why tho? Seems smart to have it on both of them and then they still have a handheld option for Japan.

I've seen more port-begging for MH on other platforms than any defensiveness or opposition. Even in this thread nobody is saying the games should be Switch exclusive or anything you said they do. On the other hand, there are people saying it shouldn't come to the Switch or making comments about Nintendo fans like you are.

I think it would be disingenuous to deny that for a while now, if anyone suggested Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter come to PS4, they'd be shouted down by some Nintendo fans in this weird tirade of defensiveness.

Like I've said in other threads before (and been laughed at by some), do not assume that MH will stay locked to Nintendo consoles forever. They can't use the 3DS forever and Switch is not a 1:1 replacement for the 3DS, especially since it has a whopping install base of 0 right now, with uncertainty as to how it will actually perform in the market place. You can't not expect Capcom to try and adapt to this change in market conditions, afterall.

Oregano

Is that so? Why tho? Seems smart to have it on both of them and then they still have a handheld option for Japan.

Paraphrasing but they said it's not so simple due to different business practices between the platform holders. Who know what that means...

RedSwirl

Switch looks like it was built for Monster Hunter, but I feel like in order for the franchise to take off in the west, Capcom would have to essentially make a different line of MH games to cater specifically to the western console/PC market. Based admittedly on what little I've played of MH3, Capcom would have to change too much about it, probably so much it would piss off the original fans.

From my understanding MH is a sort of loot RPG that could maybe fit into the Destiny/Division/Diablo/GTA Online/ market, but that's probably way overgeneralizing it. Someone who's put thousands of hours into MH will probably correct me, but the point is that Capcom would probably have to gear a console/PC MH to players of those games. Doing HD graphics and modern art assets would just be the beginning (that Chinese version doesn't look too bad visually, it even runs on CryEngine). Capcom would probably have to completely change the controls into something more conventional, and thus rebalance the entire game, at least in terms of enemy behavior and animations. And then it would have to find some way to retain the addictiveness that got MH to where it was in the first place and apply it to western online communities. Then it would have to learn how to constantly update games and keep the content flowing like you see with Destiny or GTA Online or other online games. It's a risk, but there's potential there. In my mind this would happen while Capcom still makes the traditional MH games mainly for the Japanese market.

On the subject, when you look at what online shooters are popular today, I'm starting to think Lost Planet 2 was a bit ahead of its time. Capcom tried to turn it into Monster Hunter but on a console and geared around online co-op without significant singleplayer content. Everybody's doing that today but people slammed Capcom for it in 2010. I guess Umbrella Corps is Capcom's modern attempt?

Capcom is a bit unique in that it's a Japanese publisher with a lot of franchises that could potentially appeal to the west. It has always been good at making action games which are the bread and butter of the western console market.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Not saying it outright maybe (beyond those suggesting simply to keep Frontier for other consoles and keep mainline for 3DS and NX ;)), but very concerned about warning people that porting it is not a panacea, etc... perhaps I am reading people wrong, but I do not put myself out of the Nintendo fans camp entirely ;).

Also, I am not saying that people are not begging for ports. You see PS4, Xbox, and future NX owners all doing it. Where did you see people saying the game should not come to NX?

yoonshik

I'm not seeing Capcom funding the localization and marketing costs if they go multiplatform. I could be wrong though.

Delio

Paraphrasing but they said it's not so simple due to different business practices between the platform holders. Who know what that means...

That's interesting. If that's the case sounds like Capcom has a decision to make in where MH lands in the future. That or that whole rumor about a handheld one that is like the old MH and a radical new direction MH for PS4 is true.

Oregano

I'm not seeing Capcom funding the localization and marketing costs if they go multiplatform. I could be wrong though.

That's if it goes multiplatform.

That's interesting. If that's the case sounds like Capcom has a decision to make in where MH lands in the future. That or that whole rumor about a handheld one that is like the old MH and a radical new direction MH for PS4 is true.

Yeah could be. Not sure what the point of making Monster Hunter in Name Only would be though.

Delio

That's if it goes multiplatform.

Yeah could be. Not sure what the point of making Monster Hunter in Name Only would be though.

Yeah I dont get the point either when it's not the MH experince any long time fans would want. Maybe they would be hoping a new audience grows from the newer game. Seems risky as hell to me but what do I know.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Point taken, but do you see many MH alternatives on Xbox One and PS4? I do not see an overcrowded genre there.
Xbox One + PS4 does not guarantee success, but expanding into that area and reconsidering that niche (MH started with a Sony PlayStation audience) would be a wise investment although full effect would be seen with sequels if they stick with it. Just like mature non Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles... you cannot just drop a game and send it to die and then expect the market and the Nintendo consoles customer base to have changed expectations.

My point was just that people are quick to dismiss the smaller success stories of japanese games with handhelds with " eh no brainer it would sell 5x times as much on home consoles" when sales are painting a different pictures - how many PS4 JRPGs outsold Bravely Default or Monster Hunter ?

btw. If i was Capcom - i would release MH XX in the west for Switch and 3DS. Then move forward with MH5 on Switch/PS4(maybe PC). This covers most relevant bases.

I don't think this has anything to do with the Switch since what we know about the Switch is limited.

It seems Capcom wants to expand MH in the West.
My guess A MH nonhandheld game to attract the Western players and the traditional MH to retain existing fans.
The western style game might not be a platform exclusive since it aims to increase MH to the largest possible audience like consoles and PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom