• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom wants to grow Monster Hunter in West, feels handhelds are limiting sales there

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the people saying only Switch makes sense. Y'all forgotten Wii U and MH3U? I doubt Switch will bomb or do as badly as Wii U, but if they're looking to use consoles as a platform for increasing brand strength in the west, locking future games to Switch makes zero sense.
It's just people arguing there points to justify where they want to play it.

The strategy does need to be different for the west since MH is popular in Japan because on the go gaming is big, but it's absurd to think the best way for it to gain traction in the west is to release only on Switch lol. By next March it'll be 60+million PS4 users.

R0ckman

Monster Hunter will never be popular in the West because it takes too much skill even in the easiest of entries. Souls and Bloodborne are 'hard' but in the end a player can level up and the enemies are scaled for single player.

For instance, MHGen is considered to be easy but then there's content like FE costumes with a Hyper Silver Rathalos that maybe 10% of Western players can actually kill with sub 1% being able to kill solo. Dragon's Dogma is a better fit for the west.

But in the end I think its better, the high level MHgen rando community is insanely toxic for stupid reasons. I had recently been kicked from a Gold Rathian hunt for being HR7 and probably not having some skill or food they wanted me to eat. Shook my head and went on to solo the damn thing with no carts.

With a leveling system that actually effects stats about maybe it will tone down this stuff hell maybe a shake up to the system will chase those guys out of the community as mentioned before.

It feels like every release for this series since Tri is the one that's supposed to be a great big breakout in the west. It doesn't happen, everyone makes an excuse, then the ramp up for the next entry happens.

I hope they keep a legacy series and do a Capcom Vs style spin off if their idea of making the game more appealing to the west is streamlining even further. I don't know what else can be used as an excuse if they release on PS4 and the sales still top out round 3U and 4U.

4U sold well over a million copies in the west. That's pretty impressive for this type of game.

If Capcom wants the series to grow further outside of Japan, they're going to have to change the foundation of the franchise in some fundamental ways. Sounds like that's what they're doing with the PS4 game if the rumors are to be believed., but the Switch will receive its own traditional MH title.

It's just people arguing there points to justify where they want to play it.

The strategy does need to be different for the west since MH is popular in Japan because on the go gaming is big, but it's absurd to think the best way for it to gain traction in the west is to release only on Switch lol. By next March it'll be 60+million PS4 users.
Questionis, will PS4 users buy it? I would bet it would do better on PC than any home console.... shoot if it coming to PS4 means a PC version as well, I'm all for it!

You think Nintendo is going to foot the bill for advertising a multiplatform title?

You are very confused, and so I bid you adieu.

Maybe they should .
Both Sony and MS do and it works wonders for them .

Questionis, will PS4 users buy it? I would bet it would do better on PC than any home console.... shoot if it coming to PS4 means a PC version as well, I'm all for it!

Why would it do better on PC ?
I sure some people would buy it the question is how many .

It needs to be a good quality title

Whether Capcom could actually deliver a competent game that wasnt built on the old framework?

That a whole other discussion... Place your best people

DrArchon

But in the end I think its better, the high level MHgen rando community is insanely toxic for stupid reasons. I had recently been kicked from a Gold Rathian hunt for being HR7 and probably not having some skill or food they wanted me to eat. Shook my head and went on to solo the damn thing with no carts.

With a leveling system that actually effects stats about maybe it will tone down this stuff hell maybe a shake up to the system will chase those guys out of the community as mentioned before.

A leveling system would exacerbate those kinds of problems even more. You'd have just people kicking you for not being lvl 60 or whatever instead of kicking you for bad armor skills.

The only way that you'd not have people like this is to make the game so easy that it wouldn't matter what skills/stats/etc. you bring into a fight, which they honestly got kinda close to with Gen, and I'd hate to see that taken even further.

Past console MH underperforming compared to portable entries + recent console hunting games bombing + Japan's console market being stillborn = don't need a fortune teller to guess the ceiling.
Like I said, I'm not disputing ceilings and all that. I'm just saying Toukiden isn't a good representation of MH's potential. I mean, it is Toukiden. The difference in brand power and promotion is day and night.

I'm pretty sure many, many experts on here already excluded the possibilty of Monster Hunter ever appearing on PS4 as it's a Nintendo franchise. It has been repeated time and time again. We can safely ignore any comments Capcom makes.

But if they want America, then there is one place to be. And it's Xbox. Phil-sensei is waiting. The comeback kid is going to make the greatest comeback.
I cackled.

jwhit28

4U sold well over a million copies in the west. That's pretty impressive for this type of game.

If Capcom wants the series to grow further outside of Japan, they're going to have to change the foundation of the game in some fundamental ways. Sounds like that's what they're doing with the PS4 game if the rumors are to be believed., but the Switch will receive its own traditional MH title.

I agree. I thought the series was doing well and I'm afraid of what they might try to do if the traditional formula also tops out around 1 million on PS4. I hope they just accept the ceiling. After getting the full strength of Nintendo's marketing for Tri, getting it again for 3U in HD with crossplay, and bringing online to the 3DS games, I don't think a sudden switch to PS4 is gonna be the answer.

No, what am I doing?

I'm not sure what you're laughing at when an old port sells 2 million and a railgun spinoff does 1 million those are encouraging core sales. Capcom unquestionably left money on the table with Wii, and it's not like they had to port or transition RE5 to it to have taken advantage. A timely original effort like RER or even just making DSC a full action RE would've sold huge on Wii.

RE5 is around 7 million. RE6 is around 6 million. Massive productions that demand a lot of resources, note how the Wii games are the opposite of this. Yes, I will continue to laugh at your feelings of the Wii not being treated fairly.

See that's the perplexing thing, despite getting Wii U-like sales upfront KT's kept at it and continued pushing ahead with PS4 releases. They're hardly alone in that though.

I mean I guess I can understand that. Where else would they go?

Or, far more likely scenario considering how much of their software is on PS4 and with such segments continuing to rise and their continued support of the PS4 system in the future is that they are happy with current prospects.

Besides the WiiU like sales claim being hilariously wrong, I shall now point out how you really have no basis for your conclusion other than an agenda you desperately try to cling to. No wonder you seem so puzzled at JP third parties supporting the PS4.

So multiplat shipments (crossgen even for most) and a 1st party game. I guess that's a no on those sources then?

The sources are the publishers themselves. Their continued support of the platform, even producing exclusive titles for the PS4, alongside released sales figures (refer to my previous post) and mentions in their reports (for instance SE 2015 AR) paints a clear enough message for anyone of their satisfaction.

I do like how you're still defending those PS4 DQ/Tales/Disgaea NPD sales. It's like deja vu in here.

There's very little to defend there. History on those franchises speaks for itself, though its clear history is one of those things you seem to revise to your liking.

SUPARSTARX

Yes yes yes... bring those new Monster Hunter games to PS4/PC/Xbone.

It's sad to leave them on low resolution/low player base hardware platforms.

MisterR

They didn't mention 100 million PS4s gonna be sold and that Monster Hunter is limited on handheld in the west to hint at it coming to the Switch. That's heavy foreshadowing of it coming to PS4.

Memento

Wii had a 100m userbase, PS2 150m. And yet MH sold better on PSP (80m) and 3DS (60m) somehow. Userbase isn't everything if the userbase doesn't want your game.

Ok. But they want to expand their western market. How does keeping it exclusive to a Nintendo platform (one that hasnt even released, which means it can go either way: sucess or flop) makes sense in that case? Answer: it doesnt.

audio_delay

Neo Member

Considering that MH started off as a PS2 title and made it overseas, I would say MH gamers are limted in the west. MH is just one of those titles that clicks with people or not.

DedValve

Banned
As much as I LOVE Monster Hunter (and tbh I only played Tri so maybe this is rectified in 4 onwards) I don't think MH as it currently is will still do all that well in the west.

The whole quest system, the ridiculous grind, the item management system, it all seems either overly complicated or confusing, takes a bit to really get into and lacks that appeal for western audiences.

Now I could be totally wrong and I'd love nothing more than to eat my crow wearing a hat but thats just my feeling.

Either way go ahead and prove me wrong Capcom, give me an HD Monster Hunter pls.

The only way that you'd not have people like this is to make the game so easy that it wouldn't matter what skills/stats/etc. you bring into a fight, which they honestly got kinda close to with Gen, and I'd hate to see that taken even further.

Pretty much the only content in MH4U I cant solo at this point is G rank elder dragons and savage Deviljho, raging Brachy. These games are not that difficult in all honesty. Skills or not. It gets to a point where for me some of the hunts are just too long solo late game.

With genrrations though. I think lack of G rank is why its so easy.

Ok. But they want to expand their western market. How does keeping it exclusive to a Nintendo platform (one that hasnt even released, which means it can go either way: sucess or flop) makes sense in that case? Answer: it doesnt.
Right.

The goal is seemingly to expand western potential. PS4 (and I am sure other platforms) is the best choice for that given that it is the market leader WW. Whether it works or not is a separate discussion.

People comparing Toukiden and other hunting games to MH is such a joke.

MH is in its own league, the others aren't even close.
Exactly.

Yeah, Toukiden is a hunting game but it isn't remotely comparable when you take into account IP strength, promotion, awareness, etc...

It still low budget and can't be comapre to MH.
Truth is if capcom really wants to expand MH in the west they can't half ass the console \PC version .

I agree with you here

I can totally see their hesitation to go big. They have a history of AAA fuck ups messing their business up

Lots of highs and lows with Capcom

They need to invest in making the console game special... and they kind of are out of time to just pump out easy peasy 3DS entries.... Even with the Switch I imagine the expectations will be higher... even in the homeland

The Question is - can Capcom fund an full fledged AAA Monster Hunter Game for the West? Because if they wan't to establish the franchise in the west, i think they will need to spend a lot of money - Not sure if a MH Game with old ass Ps3 Graphics catches a lot of attention outside the JRPG audience

Harmen

I feel like they can do a continuation of what they were doing with the series in the Nintendo Switch and make a new console Monster Hunter with some significant tweaks that taps into the Dragon's Dogma/Souls audiences. In it's current form, I don't see it becoming a large success in the AAA console market, but I feel there is much potential in the premise of the game

(yes, I know DD wasn't a big success and I know wishing for Souls-like is a cliché at this point).

MacTag

Banned
Last time, I promise.

RE5 is around 7 million. RE6 is around 6 million. Massive productions that demand a lot of resources, note how the Wii games are the opposite of this. Yes, I will continue to laugh at your feelings of the Wii not being treated fairly.
It's not about fair treatment, whatever that means. It's about a missed opportunity. There were a lot of those on Wii.

Or, far more likely scenario considering how much of their software is on PS4 and with such segments continuing to rise and their continued support of the PS4 system in the future is that they are happy with current prospects.

Besides the WiiU like sales claim being hilariously wrong, I shall now point out how you really have no basis for your conclusion other than an agenda you desperately try to cling to. No wonder you seem so puzzled at JP third parties supporting the PS4.
Your rationalization process is fascinating. I'd suggest checking on those early Wii U sales for a dose of reality though, Musou and company were doing about as much there as they were on PS4 initially. Koei Tecmo sort of flopped their way out the gates on every system this gen though except 3DS.

The sources are the publishers themselves. Their continued support of the platform, even producing exclusive titles for the PS4, alongside released sales figures (refer to my previous post) and mentions in their reports (for instance SE 2015 AR) paints a clear enough message for anyone of their satisfaction.
That's a really long and tortured way of saying no.

There's very little to defend there. History on those franchises speaks for itself, though its clear history is one of those things you seem to revise to your liking.
And yet you're still defending. You really can't help yourself can you?

The Question is - can Capcom fund an full fledged AAA Monster Hunter Game for the West? Because if they wan't to establish the franchise in the west, i think they will need to spend a lot of money - Not sure if a MH Game with old ass Ps3 Graphics catches a lot of attention outside the JRPG audience

This is where Sony comes in with their $$$

There's basically no way Capcom would take on a console MH game without them.

Scary right?

I thought for Sure they were just gonna pump out a Cross Gen release for the Switch Launch and call it a day for 2017

That still might be on the table but this OP kind of tells us another story

jwhit28

I hope it isn't a similar situation to SFV with Sony funding. Ideally they could release on 3DS and PS4. I hope they don't put all their eggs in the PS4 basket and then whatever gains they make in the West don't offset the losses in Japan.

Maybe they should .
Both Sony and MS do and it works wonders for them .

Why would it do better on PC ?
I sure some people would buy it the question is how many .

I honestly hope it never comes to PC. It would be hacked worse than the PSP games. But I guess they could make it always online to prevent that.

I don't really see why it'd necessarily do better on PC.

MH's best chance in the West would be to have a retooled game attractive to Western gamers, with a decent marketing budget behind it.

DrArchon

As much as I LOVE Monster Hunter (and tbh I only played Tri so maybe this is rectified in 4 onwards) I don't think MH as it currently is will still do all that well in the west.

The whole quest system, the ridiculous grind, the item management system, it all seems either overly complicated or confusing, takes a bit to really get into and lacks that appeal for western audiences.

Now I could be totally wrong and I'd love nothing more than to eat my crow wearing a hat but thats just my feeling.

Either way go ahead and prove me wrong Capcom, give me an HD Monster Hunter pls.

They've reduced the grind somewhat in Gen by making it so that the lvl1 versions of weapons and armor never require the rarest drops from monsters (different story for fully leveled stuff), but they could certainly do more to make quests and item management less convoluted.

Label key quests as such and let people know which quests are required and which aren't, have separate sections in item boxes for consumable goods and craft-able materials, give hints or directions on where to find certain items for crafting, stuff like that. That alone would make MH at lot more digestible for new players.

Not sure if the comment means much. Doesn't sound like they'd leave handhelds and with Switch being 3DS and Wii U's successor while being marketed as a home console it could very well mean that.
Could very well see Capcom making MH games for other hardware like mobile and PS4, not sure if the mainline entries will skip Switch.

Last time, I promise.

It's not about fair treatment, whatever that means. It's about a missed opportunity. There were a lot of those on Wii.

Not at all. Much more important to capitalise on the success from PS360.

Your rationalization process is fascinating. I'd suggest checking on those early Wii U sales for a dose of reality though, Musou and company were doing about as much there as they were on PS4 initially. Koei Tecmo sort of flopped their way out the gates on every system this gen though except 3DS.

Looking at your track record, I find that hard to believe.

That's a really long and tortured way of saying no.

Acting to be in denial is not going somehow invalidate my response to which you seem to be struggling to reply to (it even mentions sources):

And yet you're still defending. You really can't help yourself can you?

Sure, if mentioning performance being close to its predecessors is somehow a concept too hard to grasp for some.

That 4chan rumor sounds awful.

A streamlined MH game with less weapons and so on?

Fuck no. I'd rather just take ports of MH from 3DS upressed.

wapplew

Tencent have high quality Monster Hunter assets, just recycle those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom