• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom wants to grow Monster Hunter in West, feels handhelds are limiting sales there

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadWolf

I know, right? Looking forward to the PSX announcement.
Someone in the know did say it was going to be very Japanese centered. I bet one of the big reveals will be MH on PS4.

Yeah a Sony rep on the 8-4 podcast said that people who like JP games should be looking forward to PSX.

Fingers crossed for a PS4 MH or DMC5 reveal.

butman

Monster Hunter + Dualshock 4
giphy.gif

As a side note if Sony actually wrote a stupid biv check for MH5 and Capcom doesn't strip the game stupid I'm pretty fucking pumped. I am so fucking ready for current gen MH.

I honestly don't care what system Monster Hunter will be on. However, if they end up dumbing down Monster Hunter and stripping the things that defines the series for the West I'll be fucking pissed.

Then again I shouldn't be surprised if they went this route because its Capcom, especially after what they did with SFV.

After what they did with SFV? Making it an excellent fighting game? The best one since 3rd strike?

Well since you put it that way, now I'm really looking forward to MH on PS4.

jeremy1456

I think with NS technically being in the same ballpark of hardware as the PS4/X1, this isn't an either/or decision. Put it on everything (including PC), see where the sales pan out. If the sales are skewed noticeably, they can drop platforms as needed.

A hardcore online-focused action rpg doing better on a Nintendo console than on the PS4 in the West is not a bet I'd be willing to make, btw.

Multi platform would surely end the long running help in advertising from Nintendo.

Nintendo is amazing at advertising MH in the West; they are successfully growing the franchise.

Making it multiplatform isnt the amazing idea people think it is.

Eolz

Was it last year or two years ago that PSX/E3 was supposed to be about japanese games, and then kept being delayed for some reason according to some insiders around here? :p

Multi platform would surely end the long running help in advertising from Nintendo.

Nintendo is amazing at advertising MH in the West; they are successfully growing the franchise.

yes it is

You need to stop putting Nintendo on a pedestal here

It was a business partnership where both had something to gain. They didnt do it for "US" out of the kindness of their hearts

MacTag

Banned
No, what am I doing?

RE5 decision was made with a precedent of history as well as market conditions. Laughing at Capcom leaving money on the table when RE5 outsold any effort on the Wii numerous times over. Porting would be a hassle as well.
I'm not sure what you're laughing at when an old port sells 2 million and a railgun spinoff does 1 million those are encouraging core sales. Capcom unquestionably left money on the table with Wii, and it's not like they had to port or transition RE5 to it to have taken advantage. A timely original effort like RER or even just making DSC a full action RE would've sold huge on Wii.

Then considering how much of their software is on PS4 and with such segments continuing to rise and their continued support of the PS4 system in the future, under what basis do you say KT are not happy/successful with PS4?
See that's the perplexing thing, despite getting Wii U-like sales upfront KT's kept at it and continued pushing ahead with PS4 releases. They're hardly alone in that though.

I mean I guess I can understand that. Where else would they go?

Yes you are. You claimed JP third parties have little to no success on PS4. I listed pretty much all major JP titles on PS4 to which you tried to make a half assed reply, with no basis on sales figure.

Naruto - 1.3 million shipped 1 week, biggest NPD debut
DBZ XV - 4 million shipped
MGSV - 6 million shipped in 3 months
Bloodborne - 2 million sold in 5 months
RER2 - 2 million
FFType-0HD - 1 million shipped first month

You also seem to feign ignorance on the context of sales in the case of D5/DQ/ToZ. Both performed in line with series expectations looking solely at NPD debut sales.

The sources are the publishers themselves. Their continued support of the platform, even producing exclusive titles for the PS4, alongside released sales figures and mentions in their reports (for instance SE 2015 AR) paints a clear enough message for anyone of their satisfaction.
So multiplat shipments (crossgen even for most) and a 1st party game. I guess that's a no on those sources then?

I do like how you're still defending those PS4 DQ/Tales/Disgaea NPD sales. It's like deja vu in here.

jeremy1456

yes it is

You need to stop putting Nintendo on a pedestal here

It was a business partnership where both had something to gain. They didnt do it for "US" out of the kindness of their hearts

I never put Nintendo on a pedestal nor did I say they did it out of the kindness of their hearts. You didn't do much read my post as add a bunch of weird things to it in your mind.

The deal is mutually beneficial. I'm sure neither party wants to end it.

Well 3DS is well past its time and it would be risky to hedge their bets on Nintendo Switch exclusively. I think multiplatform would be the way to go.

I never put Nintendo on a pedestal nor did I say they did it out of the kindness of their hearts. You didn't do much read my post as add a bunch of weird things to it in your mind.

The deal is mutually beneficial. I'm sure neither party wants to end it.

I dont see it ending nor do i see them ignoring opportunities as outlined in the OP

Everyone wins?

May not be totally on topic, but what engine is a console MH more likely to be on? Is Panta Rhei still a thing or would it be the RE Engine?

Memento

So, let me get this: to expand their market in the West like they intend to do, Capcom would do better to keep the Nintendo marketing making Monster Hunter 5 a Switch exclusive (the platform with zero userbase) than to put the game on the platform with a 50 million (60 million by the time the game releases?) user base with the biggest western appeal and worldwide brand awareness of the moment?

Ok.

DrArchon

May not be totally on topic, but what engine is a console MH more likely to be on? Is Panta Rhei still a thing or would it be the RE Engine?

Panta Rei is dead for sure (not sure if they ever confirmed it directly, but it's dead nonetheless).

There's always Unreal 4 that they could turn to.

Ps4 and Switch versions for sure, gonna get the Switch version then for dat portability.

I might double dip cuz i have so many friends who are probably going to buy a switch as well as snag Monster hunter for Ps4

I assume they would be 2 separate new games and hopefully released a decent time away from one another lol

R0ckman

The good thing about the possibility of a westernized streamlined Monster Hunter is that it may very well likely cough up a lot of the toxic players found in the higher ranks of the game. I'd say playing with GAF has been the only consistent positive experience for me honestly.

Hopefully multiplayer would be more fun woth a full team, in Gen at least the monsters are basically exploited to the point of being toppled the entire hunt when doing 4 player.

jeremy1456

So, let me get this: to expand their market in the West like they intend to do, Capcom would do better to keep the Nintendo marketing making Monster Hunter 5 a Switch exclusive (the plarform with zero userbase) than to put the game on the platform with a 50 million (60 million by the time the game releases?) user base with the biggest western appeal and worldwide brand awareness of the moment?

Ok.

Yes, they should do that like the time they put Monster Hunter 4 on PS3 when the 3DS was a fledgeling system.

It made made sense (and totally happened) then, and I'm sure that's exactly what will happen now.

renzolama

According to that other thread everyone on GAF thinks that Dragons Dogma is better than Dark Souls 3, so maybe they should just tweak some assets/systems and call it a Dragons Dogma game on PS4. The little cats are basically pawns, right? I'm only partially joking, with all the changes listed from the MH formula it almost does start to sound more like a DD style game than a monhun game.

You sure? Okay then.

- Sony signed a deal with Capcom last year for MH5 on PS4/PC, specifically excluding Switch. A lot like the SFV contract excludes XBO. Sony paid a lot.
- MH5 is an open-world game aimed at Westerners, with a lot of streamlined gameplay - no timer, no missions, less gathering and prep, more action based, QTEs, less complicated and fewer weapons. 2018.
- Someone at Capcom leaked the deal to Nintendo. Nintendo have been quiet.
- MHX did way better in Japan and the West than Capcom expected, causing a bunch of people at Capcom to panic.
- A bunch of people at Capcom are worried MH5 for PS4 is being rushed out with too little content (monsters, weapons, balance) and will bomb like SFV.
- MH Portable series is getting resurrected for Switch, headed by main MH team, because Capcom don't expect MH5 to do well in Japan. Traditional MH game - new weapons and environmental stuff, some elements from MHX. 2018.
- MHXX is getting a Switch port to set up for Portable.

Oh man this is wild.

You think Nintendo is going to foot the bill for advertising a multiplatform title?

You are very confused, and so I bid you adieu.

No they would likely have their partnership take a different shape but it would still be present

And consodering they would likely get two different and separate titles it would still essentially be an exclusive game

I dont see a Ps4/Switch cross port being a thing unless they go full multiplat with the entire series

I played over 200 hours of MH4U (one of my favorite games of all time now), but didn't buy MH Generations because I'm tired of playing on the 3DS. The screen is so bad and low res, and the controls on 3DS hurts my hands after a while. If Generations had been on PS4 I would have bought it in a heartbeat and would probably have over 200 hours there as well.

So, a PS4 game that changes things up to appeal to the west.

Plus a Switch entry that keeps the traditional gameplay.

I'm....actually ok with that. And that definitely sounds like something Sony would pay for.

Sony is way more western-focused now than ever before and having a "westernized" MH game for their system will be a big hurdle for Nintendo in NA and EU, even with their own traditional entry on Switch.

And although the Switch game will surely outsell the PS4 title in Japan, the latter is still sure to do very strong numbers.

Makes total sense for Sony. And depending on how large the paycheck was, it seems to make sense for Capcom as well.

But there's no doubt that it's a risky move. At the same time, I feel almost sure something like this is going to happen.

I really think Nintendo needs to get an internal team to create a Monster Hunter-style IP.

Monster Hunter will never be popular in the West because it takes too much skill even in the easiest of entries. Souls and Bloodborne are 'hard' but in the end a player can level up and the enemies are scaled for single player.

For instance, MHGen is considered to be easy but then there's content like FE costumes with a Hyper Silver Rathalos that maybe 10% of Western players can actually kill with sub 1% being able to kill solo. Dragon's Dogma is a better fit for the west.

Ridley327

Probably UE4. It was what MHFO2 was running on before it was cancelled and Capcom seem to be preferring it for their lower budget projects.

Syril

I wonder how large the Monster Hunter teams are. They've never done releases on multiple systems at once in Japan, so it would probably be something of a shakeup for them.

Verendus

Banned
I know you're joking, but like last time you refused to reply about the kind of MonHun, there's a big difference between mainline, Frontier, and other mediocre spinoffs.
But hey, MonHun is on Vita, right?
That's only because I am on your side; I am an Eolz fan. I want the the series to remain on Nintendo platforms exclusively because then you'll be happy, and in turn so will I.

MacTag

Banned
So, let me get this: to expand their market in the West like they intend to do, Capcom would do better to keep the Nintendo marketing making Monster Hunter 5 a Switch exclusive (the platform with zero userbase) than to put the game on the platform with a 50 million (60 million by the time the game releases?) user base with the biggest western appeal and worldwide brand awareness of the moment?

Ok.
Wii had a 100m userbase, PS2 150m. And yet MH sold better on PSP (80m) and 3DS (60m) somehow. Userbase isn't everything if the userbase doesn't want your game.

Ridley327

You think Nintendo is going to foot the bill for advertising a multiplatform title?

You are very confused, and so I bid you adieu.

They've actually done it in the past, with Soul Calibur 2 and Sonic Heroes being very prominent examples and Rayman Legends being more recent. The reason why they haven't done it as often as Sony or MS is, well, they really haven't gotten a multiplatform title that they could have conceivably nabbed over Sony or MS.

oti

Banned
You sure? Okay then.

- Sony signed a deal with Capcom last year for MH5 on PS4/PC, specifically excluding Switch. A lot like the SFV contract excludes XBO. Sony paid a lot.
- MH5 is an open-world game aimed at Westerners, with a lot of streamlined gameplay - no timer, no missions, less gathering and prep, more action based, QTEs, less complicated and fewer weapons. 2018.
- Someone at Capcom leaked the deal to Nintendo. Nintendo have been quiet.
- MHX did way better in Japan and the West than Capcom expected, causing a bunch of people at Capcom to panic.
- A bunch of people at Capcom are worried MH5 for PS4 is being rushed out with too little content (monsters, weapons, balance) and will bomb like SFV.
- MH Portable series is getting resurrected for Switch, headed by main MH team, because Capcom don't expect MH5 to do well in Japan. Traditional MH game - new weapons and environmental stuff, some elements from MHX. 2018.
- MHXX is getting a Switch port to set up for Portable.

Ok. This sounds amazing. Now I want this to be true just to see what will happen in the end.

Trago

More platforms could mean more potential sales obviously. I say go for it. Although, I don't see PS or Xbox running to the hills for a marketing deal lol.

Monster Hunter will never be popular in the West because it takes too much skill even in the easiest of entries. Souls and Bloodborne are 'hard' but in the end a player can level up and the enemies are scaled for single player.

For instance, MHGen is considered to be easy but then there's content like FE costumes with a Hyper Silver Rathalos that maybe 10% of Western players can actually kill with sub 1% being able to kill solo. Dragon's Dogma is a better fit for the west.

Lmao what?

Yeah i disagree with this entirely. MH is not nearly as inaccessible as it used to be and its fucking co op

4 manning any encounter is damn near stacked in your favor 3rd gen onwards and they have only given the player more power and quality of life improvements with each iteration

They want accessible, they want community, they want co op. Look at all the marketing and language

BadWolf

It's the co-op aspect which makes MH popular even for players that aren't very skilled. Play with a party via online and you won't have much trouble with the game. Is there some hard stuff in there? Sure, but for the most part it's very manageable in multiplayer and multiplayer is a big aspect of why MH is so popular in Japan.

le.phat

So you're arguing that Monster hunter will never be popular because there is content like FE costumes. Super argument. NVM the other 80% of the game that can be played and enjoyed just fine.

jwhit28

It feels like every release for this series since Tri is the one that's supposed to be a great big breakout in the west. It doesn't happen, everyone makes an excuse, then the ramp up for the next entry happens.

I hope they keep a legacy series and do a Capcom Vs style spin off if their idea of making the game more appealing to the west is streamlining even further. I don't know what else can be used as an excuse if they release on PS4 and the sales still top out round 3U and 4U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom