• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom x Microsoft announcement...Monster Hunter Frontier Online. Stand down, people

Miburou

Seems the PS3 got screwed twice by Capcom regarding Monster Hunter.

My two bros are huge MH fans, having spend close to 300 hours each on the last two games for the PSP, so if this is released in the west, they'll be all over it.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Firestorm said:
What the hell? I thought Google Translate just misinterpreted something. There's actually a movie?!

Direct-to-download (LIVE first), but yeah :lol

It's totally tongue in cheek, though. The "actors'" "performances" are sub-sub-sub-Japanese TV drama level. And it's AWESOME.

Luigiv

NemesisPrime said:
This seems like a desperate attempt at trolling. The MH games have always been popular and TBH graphics have never been their strong point.
You kidding? Beside Frontier, MH has always pushed the graphics of the system they're on.

Xater

john tv said:
Sony's got PSP Monster Hunter, which is like the sole reason PSP still exists. They can't really complain...

But would be nice to get a new one. That cat thing doesn't really count. :lol

Firestorm

Aokage said:
Direct-to-download (LIVE first), but yeah :lol

It's totally tongue in cheek, though. The "actors'" "performances" are sub-sub-sub-Japanese TV drama level. And it's AWESOME.
Anime Fansub community: You know what to do.

Ahahaha and I completely missed that Gears of War 2 in Lost Planet article. Oh my. This stuff is way better than Monster Hunter Frontier.

MightyKAC

Miburou said:
Seems the PS3 got screwed twice by Capcom regarding Monster Hunter.

It's actually pretty hilarious, the PS3's been out for more than 3 years and Capcom's made how many exclusive games for it? :lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Monster Hunter announcement is nothing for me, kudos to those who love it though.

SSFIV announcement was good, especially the free DLC, it wasn't the 3S characters which seemed to get delayed - but at least the date is set finally, right around when I expected it as well.

Dead Rising 2, no firm release date, but they can take their time with it, no worries.

Lost Planet 2 date - hell yeah! And even BETTER than that is:

MarkMacD said:

:D Now that's awesome - that's how you give props to the game that inspired you!

Really wanna see that trailer with them in it now!

border

How many exclusive games has Capcom made for any platform, at this point? I'm assuming just stuff that couldn't conceivably ported to any other similar platform (Wii games, DS games).

imtehman

Banned
Skilotonn said:
:D Now that's awesome - that's how you give props to the game that inspired you!

Really wanna see that trailer with them in it now!

or getting the 5 million people that bought gears of war to try out lost planet *shrug*

border said:
How many exclusive games has Capcom made for any platform, at this point? I'm assuming just stuff that couldn't conceivably ported to any other similar platform (Wii games, DS games).

i think the wii's the only console with exclusives. monster hunter tri, spyborgs, tatsunoko vs capcom, we love golf, zack & wiki, and both resident evil lightgun games.
pretty much everything on ps360 is available on both, then you add the pc into the mix and then there are no exclusives. i guess you could count dead rising for the 360 an exclusive since the wii port is so lame. (not counting xbla, psn, vc)
don't even wanna touch ds and psp libraries though.

Jonnyram

Xater said:
But would be nice to get a new one. That cat thing doesn't really count. :lol
MH3P will almost certainly come. The cat game is just there to fill in the wait until the Wii version has run its course.
Don't forget, the PSP version will be local multiplayer, so many people will cancel their MH3 subscriptions, potentially.

Agnates

Banned
Jonnyram said:
MH3P will almost certainly come. The cat game is just there to fill in the wait until the Wii version has run its course.
Don't forget, the PSP version will be local multiplayer, so many people will cancel their MH3 subscriptions, potentially.
It will come but I don't think it will be Tri Portable as people think. I kinda have the feeling they will utilise Frontier content instead. MHFP. then. Or MHFPO. There was a chinese magazine that showed as much, and even had screenshots showing the PSP hud elements with MHF monsters (espinas, I think) but that might have been fake. I think Tri content would be harder to port than MHF content though.

Agnates

Banned
Firestorm said:
Er, what games have they made that are exclusive this generation? Umbrella Chronicles?
Monster Hunter Tri :D , Tatsunoko vs CAPCOM :D , Umbrella Chronicles :lol , Darkside Chronicles :D , Zack & Wiki :lol , Spyborgs :lol , We Love Golf! :lol

Firestorm

Agnates said:
Monster Hunter Tri :D , Tatsunoko vs CAPCOM :D , Umbrella Chronicles :lol , Darkside Chronicles :D , Zack & Wiki :lol , Spyborgs :lol , We Love Golf! :lol
Yeah, Wii was the only console I could think of that they've made exclusives for and that makes sense. Wii should be only getting exclusives as it's a system that doesn't really lend itself to ports.

I was also going to say Ace Attorney before remembering it's on GBA, DS, Wii, and Mobiles now :lol

Luigiv

Agnates said:
It will come but I don't think it will be Tri Portable as people think. I kinda have the feeling they will utilise Frontier content instead. MHFP. then. Or MHFPO. There was a chinese magazine that showed as much, and even had screenshots showing the PSP hud elements with MHF monsters (espinas, I think) but that might have been fake. I think Tri content would be harder to port than MHF content though.
I'm not sure. Though Frontier uses MH2 as a base, it runs on the MT Framework and it's exclusive monsters are definitely a cut above the PS2 assets. That being said neither MHF or MH3 look particularly PSP port friendly.

Agnates

Banned
The bulk of its content is older though, and according to users here it also has a low-end and high-end graphical mode, maybe the low end version of those higher end monsters you mention is easy enough. Also the environments seem blockier than Tri for sure, even in that 360 trailer.

Not hate :)

Baki

Tenbatsu said:
Tri is better by a landslide. Visuals too.

:lol That is the worst part.

So when is Capcom going to announce MH for PS3. I mean, if they can port a PC Monster Hunter title to X360 then I guess they could always port Tri or something to the PS3. :lol

EDIT: And yeah, totally didn't expect this. :lol

MightyKAC

Luigiv said:
I'm not sure. Though Frontier uses MH2 as a base, it runs on the MT Framework and it's exclusive monsters are definitely a cut above the PS2 assets. That being said neither MHF or MH3 look particularly PSP port friendly.

Ummm what exactly makes you think that?

baki said:
So when is Capcom going to announce MH for PS3. I mean, if they can port a PC Monster Hunter title to X360 then I guess they could always port Tri or something to the PS3.

I'm guessing when Sony shells out enough money to.

Agnates

Banned
MightyKAC said:
Umm, what makes you question that thinking for MH3 yet not MHF? :lol

Again, compare the 360 MHFO trailer with the 5th blinking button here. I think it's obvious which is harder to down-port on an asset level. The resolution will of course be smaller than both of these so how one is much sharper looking means nothing. That's pretty much an auto process. Geometry reduction isn't.

MightyKAC

Agnates said:
Umm, what makes you question that thinking for MH3 yet not MHF? :lol

Well to be fair I've only played MHTri and I'm pretty sure it can be ported to the PSP just fine, MHFO however is an unknown quantity to me.

Maybe this is all just a big test to see how big of an audience there is on the 360 for a MH game? Maybe the business decisions of the next "real" monster hunter will be affected by the succes/failure of this.

Agnates

Banned
Sorry, I still have to question your sanity. What game you've played on PSP comes close to MH3? I don't have many PSP games but I do think I have some of the nicer looking ones, including a Monster Hunter game, and they're several levels below Tri (+ generally smaller areas + low fps). Tri port would have to be a demake.

CozMick

Banned
Will people actually be willing to pay $15/£10 per month for this?

I'm not sure how well PSU and FFXI did,

Seems quite steep for a 3yr old port.

MightyKAC

Agnates said:
Sorry, I still have to question your sanity. What game you've played on PSP comes close to MH3? I don't have many PSP games but I do think I have some of the nicer looking ones, including a Monster Hunter game, and they're several levels below Tri. A Tri port would almost have to be a demake.

So here's a question for you. Let's say that the Capcom made Tri for the PSP and it looked EXACTLY like say Monster Hunter Freedom Unite graphics-wise but had EVERYTHING ELSE that was in Tri gameplay and multi-player wise.

Do you honestly think that it WOULDN'T sell millions in Japan?

Edit: you know as well as I do that the area sizes would tranfer to the psp JUST fine..

Alphahawk

Monster Hunter is perhapse the epitome of why you just can't port games from one side of the world to the other and expect them to be monster hits. The majority of Monster Hunter games in the west have been ad-hoc only, which is fine in Japan, but someone should of really told them that you can't ship a game such as Monster Hunter in the US without some sort of netplay. Than to charge gold users $15 a month for a true online Monster Hunting experince? Yeah, someone really dropped the ball on a golden opertunity...

Agnates

Banned
It would. Who said it's impossible to do? Just much work, ie hard to do, ie what we were discussing and you questioned. MHFU content seems easier to port with less work to me as much of the geometry is already basic to Freedom Unite levels, and that would also sell millions. Your point?

Edit: and no, I don't know and you don't know area sizes would translate perfectly. I didn't mean the level layout, since that doesn't matter as the levels are segmented, but the specific segments, the rooms if you will. Tri has some really huge ones, especially underwater. If Freedom Unite does I've yet to see them.

Deepack said:
Has the trailer been posted yet?

If not:

http://www.gamekult.com/video/10077502/

It's Monster Hunter allright. Graphics look like ass.

Just watching the video, what is more disapointing than the graphics is that awful music! It is quite awful by any standards. But especially compared to the epic stuff they produced for Tri.

Just listen to how expensive and well produced Tri sounds in comparison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgPNfahfdmY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCyNPTDRnEI

Luigiv

MightyKAC said:

Have you seen how MH3 compares to MHFU? In many ways, MH3's monsters are more difficult to replicate then MHF's. Animations, Poly counts, AI, Textures, they're all miles ahead of what we've seen in the PSP versions. Oh and that's not mentioning the environments, not a chance in hell would those still be recognisable on the other end.

Now I'm not saying a port couldn't be done, but it certainly wouldn't be easy (Which is kind of a condition for port friendly).

Luigiv said:
Have you seen how MH3 compares to MHFU? In many ways, MH3's monsters are more difficult to replicate then MHF's. Animations, Poly counts, AI, Textures, they're all miles ahead of what we've seen in the PSP versions. Oh and that's not mentioning the environments, not a chance in hell would those still be recognisable on the other end.

Now I'm not saying a port couldn't be done, but it certainly wouldn't be easy (Which is kind of a condition for port friendly).

True MH3 graphics are far better than MHP2G for sure. But MHP2G is not the best looking game on the PSP these days either. There are games like GodOfWar and Dissidia and Kingdom hearts that look much better.

And considering a Tri port to PSP is guaranteed to sell in the millions, I'm not really going to cry for Capcom if it is not that "easy" to port.

Baki

MightyKAC said:

Sorry, I meant. When is Capcom going to port a MH iteration to the PS3. :lol Because we know, thats all the HD consoles are going to get.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom made MH a portable franchise with the spin offs coming on the Wii. (with 3 year old ports coming to X360/PS3). :lol :D

EDIT: Prediction time: MH3P/MH4 will be a launch title for PSP 2 in Japan.

krea

Banned
Luigiv said:

like silent hill?

Top Bottom