• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's Deep Down (PS4) is an online game, TGS debut [Reading-RPG, online required]

Capcom's IR page just put out a email containing a list of online games coming from the company mainly for Japan and Asia. Deep Down is on that list and PlayStation 4 is the only platform mentioned.

Edit: Here's the full release, if anyone's interested.

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) is pleased to announce that the company has decided to start selling or distributing 14 new online games for mainly Japanese and Asian markets

Worldwide sales of game software were 61.4 billion US dollars in 2012 and are expected to increase to 86.6 billion US dollars in 2017. The online market, which includes PC online games, mobile content and other categories, is accounting for the majority of this growth. As a result, online content is a key element of Capcom's strategy for growth.

The 14 new titles include PlayStation®3 and Wii U™ versions of "Monster Hunter Frontier G", which has already achieved great success as a PC online game. The company will continue to extend the appeal of its renowned intellectual properties with titles such as "Street Fighter X All Capcom" and other app games for smartphones. In addition, Capcom will be releasing new PC online games like "Breath of Fire 6", online games such as "deep down" for next-generation home game consoles, a version of "Monster Hunter Frontier G" using traditional (not simplified) Chinese characters, and further content. By strategically launching titles for specific platforms and the needs of consumers in individual regions, Capcom plans to heighten its presence and profitability in each market category.

In addition to these 14 titles, Capcom plans to introduce many more titles for home game consoles and smartphones starting in the summer of 2013.

Capcom is determined to continue to meet the expectations of users by drawing on its outstanding development capabilities to create highly original games.

【Product Details】
Title Platform Release Date
1 Monster Hunter Frontier G PlayStation®3 November 20, 2013
2 Monster Hunter Frontier G Wii U™ December 11, 2013
Monster Hunter Frontier G
(Traditional Chinese character version)
(Community service plans : Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore)

PC/PlayStation®3 October 2014
4 Onimusha Soul PC/iOS/Android Available
5 Euro Historia PC December 19, 2013
6 Monster Hunter Mezeporuta Kaitakuki PC Summer 2014
7 Street Fighter Battle Combination iOS/Android October 22, 2013
8 Monster Hunter Hunting Quest iOS/Android October 29, 2013
9 Street Fighter X All Capcom iOS/Android November 19, 2013
10 Monhan Itsudemo Airou Life iOS November 26, 2013
11 Daikoukai Frontier iOS/Android February 2014
12 rio -working title- Smartphones/
Feature phones Winter 2013
13 deep down PlayStation®4 TBA
14 Breath of Fire 6

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Capcom's IR page just put out a email containing a list of online games coming from the company mainly for Japan and Asia. Deep Down is on that list and PlayStation 4 is the only platform mentioned.

If it's exclusive to PS4 at all it's likely due to XBL policies than anything else.

I think this screen proves how horrible YT quality is. Look at it in full res not in quotes:
http://i.minus.com/iplRXTdgrGr7.png

You can see there's high fidelity in there but it's covered by a horrific blur filter due to the compression and artifacting.

Yeah, YouTube quality is bad to begin with, and lots of fast cuts of very different (and pretty dark) scenes in a couple seconds is literally a worst case scenario for video compression. That shot is probably the best one, in that you can kinda get the sense the model and skin shaders could be fairly sophisticated even though most of the detail has been filtered away.

Midou

Memory reading part has me confused..

Still, if it's Dragon's Dogma spiritual successor, I'm still very much on board. I don't mind online only.

What a crock of shit!!!
I was hyped to see the original trailer and now it's a completely different game!

Seriously, wtf? Where are my dragons and knights?!?!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
What a crock of shit!!!
I was hyped to see the original trailer and now it's a completely different game!

Seriously, wtf? Where are my dragons and knights?!?!

It was 40 seconds of a teaser where you could barely see some of the enemies. Emphasis on 'some'.

Midou

It was 40 seconds of a teaser where you could barely see some of the enemies. Emphasis on 'some'.

They really should not have put anything out I guess. I am hyped for the TGS reveal. If it were to look bad or the game turns out to not be like Dragon's Dogma, then I may be disappointed, but I will wait until then.

Online required?? Sounds like a heavy emphasis on multiplayer then.

Not my type of game :sadface

Sucks, I was looking forward to a next gen version of Dragon's Dogma on my lonesome.

What on Earth is a 'memory reading RPG'? Is it like an Assassin's Creed frame story, where we're reliving memories from an ancestor? Do we play as Psycho Mantis and have to determine whether Snake played Castlevania?

demolitio

I just hope Capcom makes SOMETHING that resembles Dragon's Dogma on next-gen consoles. If there was ever an underrated game, it was that one and this is coming from someone who normally isn't into that genre.

If this turns out to be Dragon's Dogma/Dragon's Dogma Successor I'm going to be heavily conflicted. I know I shall have it but only if i can NOT support capcom in doing so

Why are so people so against the game's online component?

It's obviously an extension of the dragon's dogma design concept - swords, shields, dungeon, 3rd person combat, quests etc. Yet, people were so against Dragon's Dogma for not having co-op, this game - obviously does. Isn't this what people wanted?

Dragon's Dogma is offline, booo - we wanted online co-op. Deep Down is online, boooo - we want offline. Da fuck?

glenn8

Banned
capcom said a month ago that it has nothing to do with dragons dogma

id rather think its demon/dark soulish more or less

braves01

Banned
memory reading RPG?

Maybe "deep down" is about exploring the subconscious mind, repressed memories, etc.? Sort of like that J lo movie The Cell.

qko

Because Sony promised no mandatory online. Although they really said "it's up to devs". Well, some devs want to make a fully online game. I guess some people thought saying "no mandatory online" was going to be some sort of message to devs to not make online mandatory.

I think somewhere 5 years down the line we're going to see a a third to half of games on the xbone and PS4 available have online required. Some will be good, some will be crap, but I sense that if 4-5 games become runaway hits, there will be a noticeable divide amongst gamers saying "well, just flip the switch now and make the system online required" and the other side saying "we're not ready".

Duxxy3

Pass. Not interested in online required games from anybody.

Edit: I hope capcom crashes and burns. They deserve it.

Probably a Dragon's Dogma flavored Phantasy Star Online.

Because Sony promised no mandatory online.

Pretty sure this has nothing to do with that. Sony has no control of developers wanting to create an online only game like MMOs or multiplayer pvp/coop only titles.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Because Sony promised no mandatory online. Although they really said "it's up to devs". Well, some devs want to make a fully online game. I guess some people thought saying "no mandatory online" was going to be some sort of message to devs to not make online mandatory.

I think somewhere 5 years down the line we're going to see a a third to half of games on the xbone and PS4 available have online required. Some will be good, some will be crap, but I sense that if 4-5 games become runaway hits, there will be a noticeable divide amongst gamers saying "well, just flip the switch now and make the system online required" and the other side saying "we're not ready".

So you're saying that no one should make multiplayer only games, MMOs and other games that require online? Sony just means that the console does not have to be online to play games that don't need online. Games that have multiplayer online options or are MMOs will continue to need constant connection to the internet. Certain genres and game design decisions truly require online to be mandatory.

Did we accidentally go back to the PS2 era?

The road to that fifth year will be littered with the rotting corpses of many a publisher and developer wanting to push this always online stuff. Not that I'm saying this because I hate Deep Down or Capcom now. It's just not a popular move. Capcom had better know what they are doing.

Coiote

When Dragon's Dogma was announced, everyone was begging for online coop. Now, sunddely, nobody wants a online Dragon's Dogma anymore. What the hell happened? If the game is playable with pawns, what will be problem? Is it really online only or just online enabled?

Chaging the subject, the downgrade is really disappointing. I hope it is only a bad trailer and not the final graphics.

Mask

I really hope this turns out to be Dragon's Dogma, but with online co-op added in. Considering we haven't seen any real solid gameplay, it could turn out to be just that.

Is it confirmed online only?

weevles

I'm thinking "memory reading" is the "Japanese" way of saying persistent online world?

So this is an MMO, based around dungeon crawling?

I would be more interested except I'm worried about Capcom's push into microtransaction pay-to-play shit.

seeds19

Banned

It's obviously an extension of the dragon's dogma design concept - swords, shields, dungeon, 3rd person combat, quests etc. Yet, people were so against Dragon's Dogma for not having co-op, this game - obviously does. Isn't this what people wanted?

Dragon's Dogma is offline, booo - we wanted online co-op. Deep Down is online, boooo - we want offline. Da fuck?

People like me, aren't against with online elements in this game (co-op etc...) is the online only the problem here.

Xbox one is an always online console, boooooo, all the games launches with a forced online conection even if it's not required for the type of game YAY!

WTF...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait, I'm LttP... what the heck is an READING RPG? Someone please educate me what kind of game this'll be...

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
People like me, aren't against with online elements in this game (co-op etc...) is the online only the problem here.

Xbox one is an always online console, boooooo, all the games launches with a forced online conection even if it's not required for the type of game YAY!

WTF...

Maybe Deep Down IS a game that really requires always online, i.e. an MMO or a multiplayer-only game?

Reading Game doesn't tell us anything at all since Japanese companies like coming up with crazy names for their genre types.

Huh ?
Serious post ?

blaming the hardware kinda makes sense.... it is pretty obvious their engine scales well if they wanted (mentioning the SVOGI was the big thing)... it is not their fault that next gen hardware is underwhelming in some ways for the most ambitious engines.

qko

Pretty sure this has nothing to do with that. Sony has no control of developers wanting to create an online only game like MMOs or multiplayer pvp/coop only titles.

Read the next sentence. It's exactly what I said. Sony said its up to devs. Athough online required games are not mandated by Sony, it's not restricted either, so this next generation we will see the floodgates begin to open with games that have no offline single player, it's not forbidden by Sony or Microsoft. It's up to game developers if they want to design their game that way. I'm not a fan of it myself, but then again there could be a must buy game that changes my mind. I for one would welcome those overlords if and when they arrive and are legit worthwhile games.

So you're saying that no one should make multiplayer only games, MMOs and other games that require online? Sony just means that the console does not have to be online to play games that don't need online. Games that have multiplayer online options or are MMOs will continue to need constant connection to the internet. Certain genres and game design decisions truly require online to be mandatory.

Did we accidentally go back to the PS2 era?

No no, don't get me wrong. I'm not of fan myself of MMORPG's but simply because I haven't found one that has gotten my attention, doesn't mean they shouldn't make those kinds of games. I'm just saying that Sony said it's up to devs if they want their games to be online required even if all it's for is to upload your kills onto a server. Sony didnt say "we will make sure if a game doesn't need to be online, it will not require it" they said " it's up to the developers".

Well, Capcom said online-required and we don't even know if this game is going to be an MMORPG or a guided QTE-fest that requires us to be online in order to simply share pictures (i.e. Ryse).

And like I've said before, I'm not a fan of online-required games, but if there is a game that is good and I have an interest in, I'd be open to play it and most importantly, I'd be open to enjoy it. Deep Down doesn't seem to be that game, but I'm sure there will be a game in a few years that a lot of gamers will say "Man, I'm really reconsidering my boycott of online required games after seeing that trailer for ___________."

Qvoth

Wait, I'm LttP... what the heck is an READING RPG? Someone please educate me what kind of game this'll be...
Probably meant something like dark souls, where you need to read a lot of things to get a better picture of the story (equipment descriptions, etc)

Top Bottom