• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's difficult position

everyone one of you is buying sf collection for switch/ps4/xbone though

vB9B5.gif

I'm sure they'll be OK in the end. If not, thank you for finally giving me an ambitious Monster Hunter entry on consoles/PC and delivering the best Resident Evil since 4. I'll miss you guys!

MrCarter

No it didn't. It's a low budget jump scare FPS game. It's failing all sales targets that 5 and 6 hit easily.

Low budget? You need to go for an eye test. The assets, the gameplay and pretty much the whole atmosphere is very well done in that game. The only reason why it didn't sell as much as RE5 and 6 is because there was no co-op mode in which you can pew-pew die-die in.

Capcom only players attempting to form a thought and failing miserably. There is a hell of a lot other games that will be fine without that there or SFV for that matter.

As much as you want that to happen that's not going to, especially not after SFV's success in e-sports and general performance in big FG tournies.

antonz

Capcom was too successful at console games last gen, which actually hindered them from exploring new markets. Now every other Japanese 3rd party is rolling in that mobile cash while Capcom still relies on the more and more expensive AAA titles. In the "go big or go home" AAA scene, they are simply not big enough. Their fate is on the wall. Unless they somehow find another goldmine like MH, they will soon fall into irrelevance.

Capcom's problem is they are willing to self harm themselves in the pursuit of markets they will never conquer. They are willing to risk a dedicated 2-4 million sales chasing after a new take on a franchise hoping it suddenly sells 4-10 million copies and then finding it sells worse.

Not saying Capcom should not go after expanding Markets but that is not what you do with your established player bases. You cater to them while making things attempting to expand.

everyone one of you is buying sf collection for switch/ps4/xbone though

I doubt Switch owners will be given the opportunity.

When that collection is announced for XB1/PS4/PC, it's going to make Ultra Street Fighter II look even more ridiculous than it does now.

David___

Banned
Them failing to breakout in mobile back in 2011 really did a number on them. They haven't been the same since and only gotten worse

No it didn't. It's a low budget jump scare FPS game. It's failing all sales targets that 5 and 6 hit easily.
RE7 is not low budget, and is not a "jump scare FPS game". It's an extremely solid horror FPS that is a somewhat novel take on the core RE formula. Also, while it's currently only selling 2x better than a remastered version of Resident Evil 6 released over a year ago, the game will likely have decent legs and get a sales boost when major DLC is released. There will likely be a "complete" edition to sweeten the deal, too.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I kinda wonder why they didn't just confirm a switch version of world as soon as possible, they can't just risk MH when the didn't even bother to build an audience on other platforms

MrCarter

I kinda wonder why they didn't just confirm a switch version of world as soon as possible, they can't just risk MH when the didn't even bother to build an audience on other platforms

Monster Hunter was on PS first wasn't it? Plus with the huge install base of the PS4 and brand strength of MH it's likely to do well.

cordy

Banned
On the real...

After this whole SFV and MvCI shit I think they'll go back to the drawing board, rethink things and give us a better product. Wouldn't be surprised if they bring in an Alpha 4 with a more cell-shaded/anime-like look. They will be listening to EVERYONE this time though, definitely. We just gotta get through these 2 shit storms. SFV is flaccid in the eyes of casuals and those who don't love it.

They remind me of Sega: a shambling zombie of a company futility dry humping the corpses of their old ip. They don't have the talent, funds, or ability to compete in the modern gaming landscape.

Capcom's problem is they are willing to self harm themselves in the pursuit of markets they will never conquer. They are willing to risk a dedicated 2-4 million sales chasing after a new take on a franchise hoping it suddenly sells 4-10 million copies and then finding it sells worse.

Not saying Capcom should not go after expanding Markets but that is not what you do with your established player bases. You cater to them while making things attempting to expand.

Yeah, this is what the problem with Capcom is. Their strategy is "go big or go home". It's either ports, or massive-budget AAA new games. The ports are a great way to make fans happy and keep certain series active, and are actually one of the few things I think they're doing right. But there's a level in-between they're completely missing out on, when it comes to broadening their horizons and cultivating solid grounds.

Where are the mid-budget games from Capcom? Games like Dino Crisis, Viewtiful Joe, or Onimusha don't need a billion dollars to work, and if done right could be decently successful. You have ARMS, Pokken, and Dissidia showing that people are still down for non-traditional/3D fighters, Smash Bros. for the party aspect, and the Switch has let even obscure/cult 90s IPs like Puyo Puyo and Bomberman become pretty successful, so why couldn't Power Stone? Mid-tier and sub-60 games have been making a good comeback this gen. Capcom has plenty of series that would lend themselves really well to that. They're missing so many potential opportunities as long as they'd be careful with them.

We have Resident Evil Revelations which is a good start on that front. More stuff along those lines wouldn't hurt when it's clear blowing their budget on games that consistently miss expectations isn't working.

Josh5890

SEGA have problems of their own. Their AAA titles like Alien: Isolation underperformed, Sonic hasn't sold well for years, and PC ports of their games on Steam are not doing that great.

They've made some bad moves sure, but they are in a much better position than they were a decade ago.

JayEH

On the real...

After this whole SFV and MvCI shit I think they'll go back to the drawing board, rethink things and give us a better product. Wouldn't be surprised if they bring in an Alpha 4 with a more cell-shaded/anime-like look. They will be listening to EVERYONE this time though, definitely. We just gotta get through these 2 shit storms. SFV is flaccid in the eyes of casuals and those who don't love it.

They should have rethought things after SF x T bombed but we got SFV. Then they should have rethought things after SFV but we have infinite. They're never going to learn.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I just hope we get RE2 remake before they go under. And NO fucking RE6 action bullshit. Classic survival horror.

I don't know why anyone is surprised at their lack of success recently. Thats what happens when you outsource your IPs (Devil May Cry, Lost Planet) which end up getting low sales and then you release unfinished games (SF V) and your employees leave you to create games that you won't let them make (Platinum Games, Clover Studio), and you release resident evil 6 which didn't do many positive things for the RE brand. All of this was Capcom's own doing and RE7 was a step in the right direction but unfortunately they weren't able to get the sales they wanted (or probably needed). By the way, where is that free RE7 DLC?

Mik317

Monster Hunter was on PS first wasn't it? Plus with the huge install base of the PS4 and brand strength of MH it's likely to do well.

this was said for SFV.....and to a lesser extent Dead Rising.

we cannot assume that bigger audience equals bigger sales sometimes many of that audience just isn't interested in what you are selling...tons of people buy PS4s and XB1s just to play one or two games each year maybe (not the best use of money but to each their own). Capcom assumed the success of SFIV was due to the game and not the fact that it was on every console known to man....there is probably a nice chunk of folks who would have bought it if it was on the console they owned maybe even enough to get it to that 2 mil sooner.

Plum

It shouldn't, Capcom is promoting it a lot and it looks good so far.
Lack of content could still be a big problem but let's hope Capcom learned from their mistake with SFV.

Resi 7 was promoted a lot, looked great from the out-set and had infinitely more name recognition in the west than MH:W (plus it had Youtubers and PSVR backing). Even then it still fell short of Capcom's lofty expectations.

Monster Hunter World is still Monster Hunter even if it's promoted a lot. Whilst it looks great I think that for many Western players even the streamlining won't be enough to really alleviate the hardcore background of the franchise. Capcom's betting both the high cost of creating a "next-gen" Monster Hunter and the massive opportunity cost of having no back-up plan for a new portable game, it'll need to do very well to "justify" those costs.

MH may have started on the PS2 15+ years ago but its brand strength now is on the 3DS in Japan, not on the PS4 in America and Europe.

cordy

Banned
They should have rethought things after SF x T bombed but we got SFV. Then they should have rethought things after SFV but we have infinite. They're never going to learn.

They really should have but you know Capcom. They think their little cute shit will fly but it doesn't.

Duxxy3

I would have been content if they if had stuck with the old MT engine.

They have made a lot of questionable decisions this generation. Deep Down. Panta Rhei. RE Engine. RE7 Direction. Unfinished SFV. SFV platforms. Dead Rising 4. Dead Rising 4 platforms. Lack of Switch support. Lack of localizations. MH on consoles when MH doesn't sell all that well on console. MVC:I looking awful. No Devil May Cry.

The only thing they've truly done right is porting last gen Resident Evils to current gen. Otherwise it's like a death by a thousand cuts.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The last mainline not MMO MH that was on PS was what? 2010? That audience that wanted IT already left that ecosystem to get it on 3DS or even WiiU

I don't know why anyone is surprised at their lack of success recently. Thats what happens when you outsource your IPs (Devil May Cry, Lost Planet) which end up getting low sales and then you release unfinished games (SF V) and your employees leave you to create games that you won't let them make (Platinum Games, Clover Studio)
I think there's some irony in saying Capcom were wrong to outsource Devil May Cry and also wrong to not let pre-Platinum employees do what they wanted considering Platinum's stuff sells far worse that something like DmC.

Resi 7 was promoted a lot, looked great from the out-set and had infinitely more name recognition in the west than MH:W (plus it had Youtubers and PSVR backing). Even then it still fell short of Capcom's lofty expectations.

Monster Hunter World is still Monster Hunter even if it's promoted a lot. Whilst it looks great I think that for many Western players even the streamlining won't be enough to really alleviate the hardcore background of the franchise. Capcom's betting both the high cost of creating a "next-gen" Monster Hunter and the massive opportunity cost of having no back-up plan for a new portable game, it'll need to do very well to "justify" those costs.

MH may have started on the PS2 15+ years ago but its brand strength now is on the 3DS in Japan, not on the PS4 in America and Europe.

Heres the thing with Monster Hunter World, I am not a fan of previous Monster Hunter titles but for some reason (maybe because the game actually looks like it has a chance to improve itself thanks to the stronger hardware), I am really intrigued with MHW. I like everything I have seen about it and I will probably pick it up and I have seen other people online sharing the same reaction. Maybe MHW will be the rejuvenation that Capcom desperately needs.

Yeah, Capcom's been a bit iffy lately usually requiring help from large companies (Nintendo-MH; Sony-SF; MS-Dead Rising; Marvel-MvCI) and even with help the titles haven't been that great either.

Wonder what happened early this gen with the panty raid engine which disappeared.
A lot of bad business decisions and poor handling of their franchises means I don't feel too bad about it, though it's a shame their letting their line up of IPs down

Ninjimbo

It's kinda sad tbh they have a great selection of IP's and to see em slowly go down is a sad thing to see.

Hopefully MH worlds will do well in the west.
The worst thing is that those IPs have been dead for a very long time so a new generation of gamers didn't grow up with them. It makes it hard to go back and mine those IPs if any new entry has the peak of a niche title.

Capcom still has a bunch of talented people, maybe let them create something new again? I know Dragon's Dogma didn't set the world on fire but it did pretty good in Japan.

this was said for SFV.....and to a lesser extent Dead Rising.

we cannot assume that bigger audience equals bigger sales sometimes many of that audience just isn't interested in what you are selling...tons of people buy PS4s and XB1s just to play one or two games each year maybe (not the best use of money but to each their own). Capcom assumed the success of SFIV was due to the game and not the fact that it was on every console known to man....there is probably a nice chunk of folks who would have bought it if it was on the console they owned maybe even enough to get it to that 2 mil sooner.

Eh, PS4 + PC exclusivity was the least of its sales problem.

MrCarter

On the real...

Nope. Cel-shaded and anime style games are not as popular as you think and I doubt Capcom would ever go back to that since they have made SFV look very unique, colourful and engaging. It also has some of the best animations in the business. Shit storms? lol okay. Keep telling yourself that. It's simple. MvCi needs more new characters and improved visual fidelity and SFV needs more casual modes in a new package.

The last mainline not MMO MH that was on PS was what? 2010? That audience that wanted IT already left that ecosystem to get it on 3DS or even WiiU

And what's the install base of the Switch then? Only 5m compared to over 60m for PS4? The audience that wanted IT would most likely have a PS4 they can play IT on. If not they can buy a PS4 that is most likely cheaper than a Switch.

Mik317

Yeah, this is what the problem with Capcom is. Their strategy is "go big or go home". It's either ports, or massive-budget AAA new games. The ports are a great way to make fans happy and keep certain series active, and are actually one of the few things I think they're doing right. But there's a level in-between they're completely missing out on, when it comes to broadening their horizons and cultivating solid grounds.

Where are the mid-budget games from Capcom? Games like Dino Crisis, Viewtiful Joe, or Onimusha don't need a billion dollars to work, and if done right could be decently successful. You have ARMS, Pokken, and Dissidia showing that people are still down for non-traditional/3D fighters, Smash Bros. for the party aspect, and the Switch has let even Puyo Puyo become pretty successful, so why couldn't Power Stone? Mid-tier and sub-60 games have been making a good comeback this gen. Capcom has plenty of series that would lend themselves really well to that. They're missing so many potential opportunities as long as they'd be careful with them.

We have Resident Evil Revelations which is a good start on that front. More stuff along those lines wouldn't hurt.

whoa whoa whoa....lets slow down a bit here. Pokken and Dissidia will do well off the backs of their IPs more than anything. I also don't think any of them were particularly cheap to make....both are arcade games first so a lot of the budget could be salvaged through that arena before console release (something that quietly could be another reason SFV faltered out the gate...arcade release would have solved some of that early grief). ARMS is made by the Mario Kart team IIRC...not exactly second tier scrublords...Nintendo also put some money behind its push so mid budget I don't think thats truly the case there.

I'd love to see more of the above mentioned games...but a company apparently bleeding money not putting them out isn't exactly the strangest thing in the world..

Usobuko

Banned
I don't think chasing after the mobile should be taken for granted nor seen as a sign of a healthy company in console realm.

Mobile isn't guaranteed even for established players and to use mobile as a supplement to be financially healthy certainly don't bode well for Capcom in the console market.

Mik317

also lets chill on the not supporting the Switch stuff....the damn thing JUST came out a few months back. These things take time and after the Wii U's performance, it makes sense that people were in wait and see mode.

sorry for the off topicness of this but I have seen it in a lot of threads lately....people are preemptively shitting on companies for that.

Mzo

Maybe if they could make a fighting game that doesn't look like hot garbage. All the design talent had disappeared from Capcom.

Top Bottom