• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's difficult position

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They are not in a position difficult enough to port their games to Switch yet, so I wouldn't worry.

Shredderi

This in combination with their attempt at a replacement for MT framework completely falling through really explains their incredibly slow output this gen.

Yep.

Low budget? You need to go for an eye test. The assets, the gameplay and pretty much the whole atmosphere is very well done in that game. The only reason why it didn't sell as much as RE5 and 6 is because there was no co-op mode in which you can pew-pew die-die in.

I know a lot of people who didn't pick up RE7 only because of how much they hated RE6. They were just done with the series after that. They weren't even interested in RE7 news or media.

jett

D-Member
I feel sorry Capcom, but they've just been making a lot of really dubious moves in the last several years. They're needlessly fucking up.

Whats wrong with this article, and most game type news is this.... without knowing the budget, and details of games...you really cant say if missing a sales goal is bad in a way that they didnt hit a target, or bad in a way where they lost money on a game.
This also does not count other revenue flows for these games such as season passes, and other paid DLC, so everyone is jumping to conclusions on DR, and other games without knowing what Capcom is not going to specify, the profit ratio, the total cost (dev/marketing).

Nope. Cel-shaded and anime style games are not as popular as you think and I doubt Capcom would ever go back to that since they have made SFV look very unique, colourful and engaging. It also has some of the best animations in the business. Shit storms? lol okay. Keep telling yourself that. It's simple. MvCi needs more new characters and improved visual fidelity and SFV needs more casual modes in a new package.

And what's the install base of the Switch then? Only 5m compared to over 60m for PS4? The audience that wanted IT would most likely have a PS4 they can play IT on. If not they can buy a PS4 that is most likely cheaper than a Switch.
MHW looks good but the majority of the sales it's from Japan where MH got popular because of its portability and Local coop. These two factors are also a draw for a lot of fans (me included, even when I own a PS4 and a gaming pc) who are more reluctant to move onto non portable games which does not offer local coop.

Capcom is banking that new audiences will more than replace the Old ones, idk if it's possible but I wish them luck as long as they also continue to develop Portable MH and localise them.

ZenTzen

Low budget? You need to go for an eye test. The assets,gameplay and pretty much the whole atmosphere is very well done in that game. The only reason why it didn't sell as much as RE5 and 6 is because there was no Co-op which you can pew-pew die-die in.
Or maybe it was the lack of faith based on the issues that RE6 had as well

Frankly, capcom needs to start going strong on appealing to fans, and start showing cool stuff that makes fans go "take my money" or other, for example:
- SFV needs a Super rerelease with new mechanics like more supers/Vtriggers/Vskills, etc., like a free update to SFV owners and a 40$ Physical release with all content unlocked
- MvCI, the game is apparently super fun to play, but general art direction and presentation is something left to be desired, we know there'll be a day 1 update that'll fix some things, Marvel is fucking this up with the "no X-Men" thing, but now they need to show new, non-returning characters
- RE7, they need to hurry and release the "not Chris" free DLC, as well as finally show anything from REmake 2
- DMC, its high time they show something new like DMC5
-MHW, for me this game looks great, its actually making me want to play MH since MH1, i just wanna see more

Then theres all of their other IPs that have been out of the picture for years like Megaman, sure we have the 2nd collection coming but they need something new, like a new MMX, or even restart development of MML3, do another Dragons Dogma, and lets not go into all their other ips like BoF, LP, etc.

Here we have a company that have a plethora of ips that rival nintendos and we've barely seen anything from them for years.

leroidys

If Capcom could figure out a way to monetize people bitching about Capcom, their future would be assured.
I think the best avenue would be for Capcom to rebrand as Ubisoft Osaka. Oh, wait, that's right -- there's some law against foreign companies owning Japanese companies, isn't there.
No

Mortemis

Banned
I'm not really interested in it but MH World is looking to be a hit for them, or at least I think it will.

Well actually more like I hope it is since I don't wanna think about what happens to capcom if it fails.

Chindogg

It shouldn't, Capcom is promoting it a lot and it looks good so far.
Lack of content could still be a big problem but let's hope Capcom learned from their mistake with SFV.

They're predicting at least 5 million for MHW. RE7 was pushed to hell and they still didn't make the 4 million number they predicted.

Depending on release date, it's going to be absurdly hard to hit that 5mil number.

MHW looks good but the majority of the sales it's from Japan where MH got popular because of its portability and Local coop. These two factors are also a draw for a lot of fans (me included, even when I own a PS4 and a gaming pc) who are more reluctant to move onto non portable games which does not offer local coop.

Capcom is banking that new audiences will more than replace the Old ones, idk if it's possible but I wish them luck as long as they also continue to develop Portable MH and localise them.

Pretty much. They're practically scrapping their traditional MH audience in hopes to catch that western audience. It's a massive gamble for them.

I think it'll put up some ... "monstrous" numbers on PC. That's the wildcard, but I think it's going to make the difference in the end.

I think one mistake people make is thinking game development is entirely based around sales/profit and not ambition and the desire to create some new/different sometimes.

I hope so, but the game just screams "wait for Steam Sale" when it comes to casuals.

Its pretty troubling, and I don't even think Monster Hunter World will do all that great compared to its handheld predecessors. I want to say it will do well on PS4/XBO but Im just not certain. Monster Hunters fanbase has significantly grown here in the west but that was because of 2 3DS titles that really got people on board. Now that that platform is off the table and the Switch version of XX isn't coming to the west you now have to rebuild an audience seemingly from scratch, just after having gained a semi substantial audience.

My hope is it does well, but they are gonna have to advertise the shit out of it, and release a proper demo. And im not talking about fighting a low and high rank monster, its gotta be more substantial. Even if it doesn't set the world on fire on the consoles, I do have higher hopes for a PC version. These games tend to resonate with the PC crowd, and I fully expect it to do very well on PC out the gate, and with how PC marketplaces are I expect it to sale well for many years to come, if a little on the slow side.

I'm not really interested in it but MH World is looking to be a hit for them, or at least I think it will.

Well actually more like I hope it is since I don't wanna think about what happens to capcom if it fails.

I think it'll put up some ... "monstrous" numbers on PC. That's the wildcard, but I think it's going to make the difference in the end.

One mistake people make is thinking game development is entirely based around sales/profit and not ambition and the desire to create something new/different sometimes. There's so much concern about how a risky endeavor is going to fare, but we should also remember that developers have the desire to take franchises in new directions once in a while.

I don't think MHW will fail but I think Capcom expected a lot from MHW and I don't think it's going to reach the portables series numbers.

MHW will likely do better than previous games world wide but probably less in Japan and it likely cost a ton more than any of the 3DS games.
They've also spent the entirety of the franchise's high note creating an audience that's buying these for local co-op on the go which this sounds like it lacks?
Not sure that's their biggest game, or at least not a very big game overall

Re MH World, Capcom is basically betting it with the following assumptions.

1. It being on PS4 will bring in western mainstream audiences who haven't played MH before

2. It will make Japanese players flock out in droves to get PS4s to play it on

The problem is they need both these factors to work well enough to offset the opportunity cost of abandoning their handheld/Switch base, which is obviously a massive loss. Monster Hunter X sold over 3 million in Japan, while the PS4's best-selling game atm (FFXV) has barely cracked 1 million.

It's obvious Capcom is one of many companies that underestimated how successful the Switch would end up being. In retrospect abandoning it is pretty obviously a mistake, since it wouldn't have hurt the game's sales by any means. Of course they couldn't have seen that coming, but it just creates the point that the game is fundamentally a gamble.

The question is, will sales explode enough to meaningfully grow the series? Or will western sales simply offset the lost Japanese sales to create results that are good, but not too out-of-character for the series?

If 5 million is what they're expecting... Well, good luck. Maybe it will, but I'm really holding my breath at the moment.

whoa whoa whoa....lets slow down a bit here. Pokken and Dissidia will do well off the backs of their IPs more than anything. I also don't think any of them were particularly cheap to make....both are arcade games first so a lot of the budget could be salvaged through that arena before console release (something that quietly could be another reason SFV faltered out the gate...arcade release would have solved some of that early grief). ARMS is made by the Mario Kart team IIRC...not exactly second tier scrublords...Nintendo also put some money behind its push so mid budget I don't think thats truly the case there.

I'd love to see more of the above mentioned games...but a company apparently bleeding money not putting them out isn't exactly the strangest thing in the world..

It was more about those three points in conjunction, to make the core idea that there's an audience that could exist for a game like Power Stone as long as they don't go insane with pouring money and crazy expectations into it. Obviously I'm not saying Power Stone has the brand power of Pokken or Dissidia, just that it was one example of a game that could be a nice modest success if they played their cards right.

Malvingt2

Its pretty troubling, and I don't even think Monster Hunter World will do all that great compared to its handheld predecessors. I want to say it will do well on PS4/XBO but Im just not certain. Monster Hunters fanbase has significantly grown here in the west but that was because of 2 3DS titles that really got people on board. Now that that platform is off the table and the Switch version of XX isn't coming to the west you now have to rebuild an audience seemingly from scratch, just after having gained a semi substantial audience.

My hope is it does well, but they are gonna have to advertise the shit out of it, and release a proper demo. And im not talking about fighting a low and high rank monster, its gotta be more substantial. Even if it doesn't set the world on fire on the consoles, I do have higher hopes for a PC version. These games tend to resonate with the PC crowd, and I fully expect it to do very well on PC out the gate, and with how PC marketplaces are I expect it to sale well for many years to come, if a little on the slow side.
I am a huge fan of the series and demo is a must for me..

Jawmuncher

Or maybe it was the lack of faith based on the issues that RE6 had as well

Frankly, capcom needs to start going strong on appealing to fans, and start showing cool stuff that makes fans go "take my money" or other, for example:
- SFV needs a Super rerelease with new mechanics like more supers/Vtriggers/Vskills, etc., like a free update to SFV owners and a 40$ Physical release with all content unlocked
- MvCI, the game is apparently super fun to play, but general art direction and presentation is something left to be desired, we know there'll be a day 1 update that'll fix some things, Marvel is fucking this up with the "no X-Men" thing, but now they need to show new, non-returning characters
- RE7, they need to hurry and release the "not Chris" free DLC, as well as finally show anything from REmake 2
- DMC, its high time they show something new like DMC5
-MHW, for me this game looks great, its actually making me want to play MH since MH1, i just wanna see more

Then theres all of their other IPs that have been out of the picture for years like Megaman, sure we have the 2nd collection coming but they need something new, like a new MMX, or even restart development of MML3, do another Dragons Dogma, and lets not go into all their other ips like BoF, LP, etc.

Here we have a company that have a plethora of ips that rival nintendos and we've barely seen anything from them for years.

Doubtful. It was an entirely different style and positive reviews were up a week in advance

MrCarter

Maybe if they could make a fighting game that doesn't look like hot garbage. All the design talent had disappeared from Capcom.

You may also need to get your eyes tested.

JRI_06.png

CMY_02.png

CMY_03.png

KLN_01.png

LAR_02.png

LAR_05.png

KRN_03.png

CNL_02.png

CNL_03.png

RMK_06.png

ED_02.png

RYU_02.png

NSH_05.png

RSD_03.png

uPqJ9nyy_ndgXZL1tCE7d8P9d-0UpN1ZvLgS256EJEwT_PPT1-DNHuGkmoBgMOJuZ52O7IFyC4rhpYu3d0TIy-lhcrbSAx82kIuzURE-4RbZRPoDaOZVSizUMJXk8Tqt2tZluWQ=s320

P_RYTJ1ITzaLKVnxuNWBoYEAuPKkrfwxgsxPoRE1nx-S6cMGN9SG1GFzS_038_mD1KcD4KmhJynIqVbd9kUjaZzv__o8ltDh5fE2ZhvQ9-tfCWLH5RD-zZdQieqVE6PBCNvnfcU=s320

RQCLSBpPEh68YWCheOvpbdzECAaQWjxHEJsiB7wFEo7qRJqrN4pA2alq_RE_b4djDGKeEi8km-92RR0Z7OTtbRUHcXVAOVikyRQprYcI4GZlJh1oMVkxcfiHYGeh8lpWQSMdVtE=s320

CTLance

Dear Capcom. Please put away your drugs and the darts that you use for your business decisions.

Just... don't fuck up Monster Hunter. I can deal with skipping World if I can't justify buying into the platforms it will release on, but if you fuckers go into a tailspin due to your continued tomfoolery and deprive me of future MonHan goodness, there will be hell to pay. Make MHW a good game, make it successful, and keep on barfing out more franchise entries ever so often.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
No it didn't. It's a low budget jump scare FPS game. It's failing all sales targets that 5 and 6 hit easily.

I know it didn't meet its own prediction,but I am sure they are not looking to meet the sales target of 5 and 6 considering that as you say, its a lower budget game which will probably mean lower expectation. USF2 on Switch sold less than SF5, but Capcom calls it a smash hit and happy enough to initiate more Switch projects.

The budget for 6 is I believe the biggest ever for Capcom. There's no way Capcom or any company will be striving to keep doing that because that's unsustainable and risky. All it take is for that game to be a flop to bring the whole company down.

Also, effort =/= money alone.

Plum

And what's the install base of the Switch then? Only 5m compared to over 60m for PS4? The audience that wanted IT would most likely have a PS4 they can play IT on. If not they can buy a PS4 that is most likely cheaper than a Switch.

Install base doesn't matter if the right people aren't there. Monster Hunter's success was built on portability, local co-op and a gameplay loop that fits the portable format immensely well. Capcom's gambling so much by throwing away all three of those features and hoping that enough people who might have ignored the franchise before won't do it now.

There's also the fact that it'll be competing in an entirely different arena. There's a world of difference between a $40 3DS game and a $60 PS4 game and that's especially true if you're aiming for more than 4 million sales.

I think one mistake people make is thinking game development is entirely based around sales/profit and not ambition and the desire to create some new/different sometimes.

You can't raise stock prices with ambition unless that ambition brings in cash.

.la1n

If only there were a large, vocal community of fans by which to judge a good plan moving forward. If only that same community had spoke up about what they wanted to see in the current line up of games. Alas; they were silent and Capcom was lost as to what to do.

In a last ditch effort they decided they'd put all their effort into MvCi. Surely after people witnessed the craftsmanship and eye for detail the sales and excitement would return. Coupled with an amazing PR campaign; what could go wrong? Only time will tell.

MBS

Banned
They really need to focus on AA production and definitely lower their expectations. Nier Automata proved that you don't need a huge budget to be successful. DMC, Dino Crisis, Megaman, and even Lost Planet could work as well-made AA releases. RE in the form of a Revelations type of game could also work (and it does). Stick with lesser budget titles for a couple of years and see how it goes. With their current plan they are definitely going back into trouble sooner than later. They have to adapt.

Install base doesn't matter if the right people aren't there. Monster Hunter's success was built on portability, local co-op and a gameplay loop that fits the portable format immensely well. Capcom's gambling so much by throwing away all three of those features and hoping that enough people who might have ignored the franchise before won't do it now.

There's also the fact that it'll be competing in an entirely different arena. There's a world of difference between a $40 3DS game and a $60 PS4 game and that's especially true if you're aiming for more than 4 million sales.

Plus, it's also fallacious to focus purely on install base as it is now, when MH World isn't out until March, i.e. when the Switch is more than 4 months old and has had its first holiday. Especially considering that it's projected to do extremely well for the rest of the FY at its current pace, and very likely to outdo PS4 in Japan.

MH World probably started development long before Switch was a thing, and they probably bet on the PS4 doing a lot better in Japan than it ended up doing. It doesn't change though that years down the line, the conditions it's coming out in are totally different than the ones it started in and that's probably not going to be a painless process. The game was a gamble when it was greenlit and it'll be a gamble when it comes out.

You can't raise stock prices with ambition unless that ambition brings in cash.

You can't keep people locked up in a room working on games they have no desire to create forever.

One mistake people make is thinking game development is entirely based around sales/profit and not ambition and the desire to create something new/different sometimes. There's so much concern about how a risky endeavor is going to fare, but we should also remember that developers have the desire to take franchises in new directions once in a while.

Sales is what pays the bills. If you're not budgeting properly and there's not enough revenue coming in, you typically don't take risks. Of course, MHW was greenlighted before the failure of SFV, the failure of DR4. and the lukewarm sales of RE7. Entering into deals with Sony was a bad decision by Capcom.

Edit: Actually, entering into deals with any of the manufacturers has turned out poorly for Capcom. DR1 worked out but DR3 and DR4 suffered for it. The Gamecube incident is known. The only exclusivity to have ever truly worked out in Capcom's favor was those of the portable games.

I don't think anyone at Capcom was going "I'm going to leave this successful development team if we continue making MH games"

If the team behind one of your most successful IPs says they want to create a new title in the series from the ground up for consoles because they've been yearning to do something more ambitious, you let them. Alternatively, you risk destroying their spirits and them eventually bailing.

Sales is what pays the bills. If you're not budgeting properly and there's not enough revenue coming in, you typically don't take risks. Of course, MHW was greenlighted before the failure of SFV, the failure of DR4. and the lukewarm sales of RE7. Entering into deals with Sony was a bad decision by Capcom.

My point wasn't that sales don't matter at all — of course they do. They're not half-assing this title precisely because they have some faith in its sales potential.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Capcom needs to bring the Disney Afternoon Collection over to Switch, as well as bring whatever MH XX they've got to the US.

Switch games are selling well, and it's foolish to leave the platform out.

If the team behind one of your most successful IPs says they want to create a new title in the series from the ground up for consoles because they've been yearning to do something more ambitious, you let them. Alternatively, you risk destroying their spirits and them eventually bailing.
They needed new assets this Generation no matter where they went.

Either way it's probably dumb to assume they would've left if they couldn't make something different

MrCarter

The next SF does need a new art style. We can't keep referencing SFIV forever.

Except SFV art style and animation direction is actually some of the best work Capcom have done this generation. It's a shame the sales didn't reflect that but as they've said they are in it for the long haul so it will be interesting to see what their plans are soon.

Chindogg

Yes the women do look good on this game.

UpBJ37bc9uXNXUo026ufXMxOFFQWVW339Feq6SJlLbaKw5vCu3uXcC8UNLSMZiiVKcDrPNaK6L26SH5SSeqyVVC1vvPwMgDXFKkXUEPUH-eGag8xL1f2wnm9ZAZncMmZpvHSf4Y=s320

On character select he looks horrid however in-game he looks perfectly fine.

Nah him, Alex, Ibuki, Birdie, and a few others look pretty terrible. The artstyle in general is pretty bad. Luckily a few had shined through.

They needed new assets this Generation no matter where they went.

Either way it's probably dumb to assume they would've left if they couldn't make something different

Did they? The core Monster Hunter audience in Japan would be perfectly fine buying higher resolution 3DS titles on the Switch.

I don't think it's dumb to think about the overall happiness of employees and how being denied their creative desires can lead to dissatisfaction and ultimately departures. I'm not saying it's a foregone conclusion, just a real possibility.

Plum

Plus, it's also fallacious to focus purely on install base as it is now, when MH World isn't out until March, i.e. when the Switch actually is a year old and has had its first holiday. Especially considering that it's projected to do extremely well for the rest of the FY.

Yeah, good point. The Switch would have actually already had its first Monster Hunter in Japan by that point. Japanese fans would have just gotten comfy with the new system only to have the next MH game be on a console they probably won't even own.

You can't keep people locked up in a room working on games they have no desire to create forever.

Of course, but that doesn't deflect from the fact that Capcom's still a business and, as is often the case, businesses take major risks if they give their employees everything they want.

MrCarter

Nah him, Alex, Ibuki, Birdie, and a few others look pretty terrible. The artstyle in general is pretty bad. Luckily a few had shined through.

I don't like Alex's new default but his nostalgia looks great. Pretty much most of the cast look and animate great though.

Top Bottom